ImageImage

OT: Music Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#821 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:38 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Sounds less like punk/screamo than it does the garage bands from the early 2000s. Getting big The Vines vibes. Kinda like it.

Yeah, I probably mis-characterized because I don't really listen to those genres.

I know that some will like it if that's their thing already and I have liked when bands like Radiohead took a turn, but ehhh...yeah, not my cup of tea. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2 song thing on the new album.

I know what you mean, though. Can't count the number of bands I loved that made hard turns into something I hated. Finch, The Killers...looking at you. Even Thrice.

Did you mean that I specifically mention the Killers a while back? I might have. I've kinda gone back-and-forth with them. Liked the Springsteen obsession era of Sam's Town and Day & Age after obviously liking Hot Fuss. Battle Born was just not great and then yeah, I didn't like their attempt to join everyone else with making a disco album in 2016-2017. Not sure I've even listened to Wonderful Wonderful.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#822 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:39 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Yeah, I probably mis-characterized because I don't really listen to those genres.

I know that some will like it if that's their thing already and I have liked when bands like Radiohead took a turn, but ehhh...yeah, not my cup of tea. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2 song thing on the new album.

I know what you mean, though. Can't count the number of bands I loved that made hard turns into something I hated. Finch, The Killers...looking at you. Even Thrice.

Did you mean that I specifically mention the Killers a while back? I might have. I've kinda gone back-and-forth with them. Liked the Springsteen obsession era of Sam's Town and Day & Age after obviously liking Hot Fuss. Battle Born was just not great and then yeah, I didn't like their attempt to join everyone else with making a disco album in 2016-2017.

I loved Hot Fuss, top to bottom, and super hated Sam's Town and everything after.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#823 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:04 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Did you mean that I specifically mention the Killers a while back? I might have. I've kinda gone back-and-forth with them. Liked the Springsteen obsession era of Sam's Town and Day & Age after obviously liking Hot Fuss. Battle Born was just not great and then yeah, I didn't like their attempt to join everyone else with making a disco album in 2016-2017.

I loved Hot Fuss, top to bottom, and super hated Sam's Town and everything after.

I can see that. It's obviously always up to the beholder. Bands always seem to want to/have to make a turn and it probably coincides with my entrance to my 30s that most of them have sucked. Also, most bands' albums after the first 3-4 generally suck.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,589

Post#824 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:23 pm

With all due respect to others' music preferences - like what you like - I do not understand why The 1975 are a thing, and this new song certainly does not help change me from that stance.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#825 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:29 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:With all due respect to others' music preferences - like what you like - I do not understand why The 1975 are a thing, and this new song certainly does not help change me from that stance.

It's good synthpop but I think people in the established indie/alternative genre are told not to like them because they also have a young/teenage/pop following for whatever reason.

Their first 2 albums are a great mix of songs that get stuck in my head for long periods of time with some great ambient bridge tracks. The last album was fine but lacking a bit in the depth.

If you're not into the path where the alternative genre went from partially synth/produced to majority synth/production then I agree they are not for you.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#826 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Somebody Else is a great song.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#827 » by emunney » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Whenever I hear about them I'm reminded of the Old 97s, which is good.

Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,142

Post#828 » by JEIS » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:54 pm

https://youtu.be/OWKzRngush4

Found this song like 6 months ago. I am surprised it didn't get popular yet. Pretty catchy.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#829 » by stellation » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:09 am

I'm doing a reverse listen through of Bon Iver albums today, so starting with I,I and working back to For Emma.

#FreeChuckDiesel
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#830 » by Baddy Chuck » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:21 am

Looking forward to this album coming out next week.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,169

Post#831 » by Iheartfootball » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:20 pm

Spoiler:
stellation wrote:I'm doing a reverse listen through of Bon Iver albums today, so starting with I,I and working back to For Emma.

I like it; the de-evolution of Bon Iver. Giving it a spin as well on a crappy Thursday at work.

I read a review of the album on the NYT and at the time there was a single comment and they found that his music is not approachable and had a hard time getting into it. Which got me thinking about what makes some music approachable/listening/enjoyable to some and not others. One theory I have as part of the reason is that perhaps not listening to different styles within a certain genre your brain doesn't have the mental map to connect something so far 'out there' and therefore it's rejected sonically. I look at certain genres and styles of music personally and find some for myself is not enjoyable and I'm wondering if I just need more exposure.

Same goes for at the other end of the spectrum. Pop music that is just a retread sonically of already existing styles but bubble gummed up I find less enjoyable because I've already heard something similar and I've reached a saturation point with it.

Would love to hear others feedback. It's all subjective obviously so I don't have any judgement based on if it's pop, country, jazz, hip hop, or rock and any sub-genres within these categories.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#832 » by crkone » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:23 pm

Do you stand at a Bon Iver concert? And if not, how do you stop from falling asleep?

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#833 » by stellation » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:07 am

Would you fine cats like to work on a collaborative playlist?

I'm thinking have somebody rather handsome throw out what they're feeling, next person listens to it then adds on a song they're feeling but plays a bit of dj and looks for a good transition, then next person does the same and so on. People can hop back in and add multiple tracks, so no real "gotta hold out so I can squeze in this Alvvays sleeper when it's my turn". I'm happy to create a playlist on Spotify and share it (or someone else can!) or someone else can do it on youtube if we think that's better (it sounds harder).

I'll go first.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#834 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:58 pm

I'll play. I'm handsome but I don't have spotify (Apple Music :( )...so youtube it is. I have 3 girls. A 12, 9, and 41 year old. I also have 4 walls and stucco slats. This song makes me happy.

0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#835 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:34 am

0BobLobLaw0 wrote:Tool is releasing their first new song in about 13 years today 8/7......it's been a long time coming. New album 8/30.

Never thought this was going to happen. Can't wait.

Absolutely blown away from the new album. Incredible. Danny (the drummer) is 58, just kills it.

I do miss Maynard's growl, although being 55 it probably isnt as easy to do anymore.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,142

Post#836 » by JEIS » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:56 am

https://youtu.be/3JKhq77ynnk

This song is pretty bad ass. Catches you in the feels. Anybody who lost a loved one can relate.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#837 » by wichmae » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:44 pm

Can someone help me out? I start grad school tomorrow and am looking for some stuff to listen to while I study. I enjoy minimalist music like the XX or Phantogram (I know not super minimalistic). Any help would be appreciated.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#838 » by BuckHole » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:14 pm

Replacements “Left of the Dial”
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#839 » by Iheartfootball » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:14 pm

wichmae wrote:Can someone help me out? I start grad school tomorrow and am looking for some stuff to listen to while I study. I enjoy minimalist music like the XX or Phantogram (I know not super minimalistic). Any help would be appreciated.

Washed Out, Beach House, Toro y Moi, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,562

Post#840 » by chonestown » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:24 pm

wichmae wrote:Can someone help me out? I start grad school tomorrow and am looking for some stuff to listen to while I study. I enjoy minimalist music like the XX or Phantogram (I know not super minimalistic). Any help would be appreciated.

These do the trick for me. You'll either be into them within the first couple minutes or it won't be your thing. "Music for 18 Musicians" is one of 10 albums I'd select if ever I had to pare my choices down to two handfuls of records.

“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)

Return to Milwaukee Bucks