Feels so good to have football back..

Read on Twitter
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#982 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:36 am

God I love living alone again. I'm in terrible pain from moving an apartment all day, and my new place is nothing but boxes everywhere, but I'm so incredibly happy. Took tomorrow off. I'm gonna unpack tonight at a nice, leisurely pace and enjoy being able to watch what I'd like on the living room TV.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#983 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:46 am

Congrats to Rafa on winning the 2019 US Open. Seriously, look at the players left in the draw.

US Open is forever cursed to never get a Federer vs. Nadal match.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#984 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:54 am

ETA: LMAO I mistook Dimitrov for Medvedev.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,651

Post#985 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:12 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Congrats to Rafa on winning the 2019 US Open. Seriously, look at the players left in the draw.

US Open is forever cursed to never get a Federer vs. Nadal match.

Definitely not over yet. Rafa is prone to get hurt just as much if not more often than Novak or Fed, so I wouldn't rule it out and giving Medvedev (or Dimitrov, honestly) an opening.

But yes, the draw has opened up for sure.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#986 » by jschligs » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:04 pm

**** weddings. If I could do it all over again I would do a small ceremony with only immediate family and then just a buffet style dinner for the rest of the folks. This last month has been ridiculously busy with normal working hours and then all of the stupid details and other crap for the wedding. None of this is for me either, I could give two ****s about flowers, chairs, whatever. Can't wait for the day to be here so I can enjoy the only important part (actually getting married) and then be done with this planning BS.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,168
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#987 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:12 pm

jschligs wrote:**** weddings. If I could do it all over again I would do a small ceremony with only immediate family and then just a buffet style dinner for the rest of the folks. This last month has been ridiculously busy with normal working hours and then all of the stupid details and other crap for the wedding. None of this is for me either, I could give two ****s about flowers, chairs, whatever. Can't wait for the day to be here so I can enjoy the only important part (actually getting married) and then be done with this planning BS.

That sucks that you're kinda being roped into a lot of this.

When we were sending out save the dates, my wife said, "I want you to be involved in this the planning, do you have any suggestions on the save the date?"

"Yeah, actually just from doing software at work I was told to not put this shade of purple on black because it becomes hard to read."

"Uhhhh...well, I like these colors and I'm going to use them."

We both laughed. At that point I was out of the planning for 95% of the rest of the process.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,989

Post#988 » by midranger » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:50 pm

No one cares about the chairs or table arrangements or centerpieces or table runners or even the food (unless it’s horrible). They are there for you and the party to celebrate you. Dump money into an open bar, a good DJ (who will do/play what you want and keeps the night moving along) and photographer because you’re so busy you won’t be able to remember specifics. During the reception, I feel like guests take their cues from the bride and groom so get out and party with everyone.

The rest is all just bull **** that no one ever thinks about again.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,713

Post#989 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:57 pm

jschligs wrote:**** weddings. If I could do it all over again I would do a small ceremony with only immediate family and then just a buffet style dinner for the rest of the folks. This last month has been ridiculously busy with normal working hours and then all of the stupid details and other crap for the wedding. None of this is for me either, I could give two ****s about flowers, chairs, whatever. Can't wait for the day to be here so I can enjoy the only important part (actually getting married) and then be done with this planning BS.

Day of wedding planner....best investment I made. They deal with all the vendors and you just have fun.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,225

Post#990 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:09 pm

Good and reliable photographer is a key. I know Uncle Billy said he'd would be happy to take pics. And then he gets drunk and you have none.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#991 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:21 pm

I had a relative who wanted a "Rose Wall" at her wedding. The groom was fine with the idea, until she showed him the cost.

$8,000!!!!!!!!!!!!

They did not get the Rose Wall.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,315

Post#992 » by jute2003 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:39 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Good and reliable photographer is a key. I know Uncle Billy said he'd would be happy to take pics. And then he gets drunk and you have none.
:)
only a fan, only an opinion
jute2003
Lead Assistant

Post#993 » by jute2003 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:51 pm

Just push through, try not to be a whiny pouty baby and you'll get to the day and all the stress and headaches will go away and you will enjoy yourself and be happy.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#994 » by jschligs » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:55 pm

jute2003 wrote:
Just push through, try not to be a whiny pouty baby and you'll get to the day and all the stress and headaches will go away and you will enjoy yourself and be happy.

Completely agree, just venting to you guys as the fiancé will never see this.

The good news is we did get a day of wedding planner as a part of our venue. Once it’s the day of it’ll be a breeze. We’re less than 2 weeks out now.
jute2003
Lead Assistant

Post#995 » by jute2003 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:03 pm

jschligs wrote:
jute2003 wrote:

Completely agree, just venting to you guys as the fiancé will never see this.

The good news is we did get a day of wedding planner as a part of our venue. Once it’s the day of it’ll be a breeze. We’re less than 2 weeks out now.

Good Day of Coordinators make a HUGE difference. Also, if you or your fiance aren't so good under pressure, I'd suggest having someone take your phones and screen your calls. For whatever reason, people think it's a good idea to call the couple on the day of the wedding if they have questions about anything...especially older family members. You two will have enough to deal with without having to give Aunt Linda directions to the venue.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,729

Post#996 » by Licensed to Il » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:09 pm

Consider “planning out dumb stuff I don’t care about like flowers and centerpieces” a metaphor for all the dumb stuff you will have to pretend to care about for the next 50 years.

I once thought that wedding planning was an anomaly on the path to love and companionship. Now its 17 years later and my wife tells me at least once a week Im not using the kitchen sponges in the proper sequence.

I am glad I am married, and there was a great 12-15 year span in there. But heads up, the stuff you humor your spouse on changes. But there will never be a shortage of stuff you each pretend to care about.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#997 » by emunney » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:42 pm

General thoughts that don't necessarily apply to the people in this discussion:

I feel like people do marriage like people do college -- it's the next thing you do. To extend that comparison, I would treat it more like graduate school, which doesn't just admit everybody, but which demands focus and purpose from the student upon application.

Imo, the least you can do is write your own vows. Attempt to honestly articulate why you're marrying this specific person, and what it really is you believe you're promising to them. If that makes you feel too uncomfortable, I would interrogate that feeling. Take it seriously.

Back to fart jokes.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#998 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:03 pm

Has anyone here tried OrangeTheory Fitness? I'm looking for a new gym and the concept behind OT looks intriguing - though it's hella expensive.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,268

Post#999 » by KidA24 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:19 pm

emunney wrote:General thoughts that don't necessarily apply to the people in this discussion:

I feel like people do marriage like people do college -- it's the next thing you do. To extend that comparison, I would treat it more like graduate school, which doesn't just admit everybody, but which demands focus and purpose from the student upon application.

Imo, the least you can do is write your own vows. Attempt to honestly articulate why you're marrying this specific person, and what it really is you believe you're promising to them. If that makes you feel too uncomfortable, I would interrogate that feeling. Take it seriously.

Back to fart jokes.

Someone once told me, "If you truly care about someone you can express why without involving yourself. Without using "I" or "me""
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#1000 » by BuckHole » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:23 pm

I knew a women who had her wedding at a public park that had a large structure with picnic tables. They had a boom box and “catered” Arby’s by buying bags of roast beef and buns where they placed the roast beef in a turkey roaster for self serving; others brought a “dish to pass.” Coolers of beer for libations. It sounds like how one would do a second wedding, but it was her first. ...what a women! I have a weakness for thrifty females.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa

Return to Milwaukee Bucks