ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2019 Offseason Training Thread (Update: New Pascal Footage)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,856

Re: Official 2019 Offseason Training Thread (Update: New Pascal Footage) 

Post#601 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:24 am

30 pages devoted to player development and workouts.
Even after winning the championship and our best player leaving.
Most dedicated fan base in the league.
Without a single doubt.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#602 » by lolwut » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:49 am

niQ wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Yeah a while back i made this GIF comparing his jumper to Paul George's

You can see OGs is released so much lower and his elbow flares significantly. Also, his footwork is far less smooth.

I dunno about footwork if its from that clip. Though, they let everything pass in the NBA nowadays. But I definitely remember doing the exact same thing as PG in that gif and getting called for a travel by a ref.

That might be the Kapono special right there.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,256

Post#603 » by XTC » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:15 am

lolwut wrote:
niQ wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Yeah a while back i made this GIF comparing his jumper to Paul George's

You can see OGs is released so much lower and his elbow flares significantly. Also, his footwork is far less smooth.

I dunno about footwork if its from that clip. Though, they let everything pass in the NBA nowadays. But I definitely remember doing the exact same thing as PG in that gif and getting called for a travel by a ref.

I have no idea why any ref would call a travel in that situation. Steve Nash use to do that ALL the time. Many great shooter step into their shot. It’s a great way to get into rhythm.
lolwut
General Manager

Post#604 » by lolwut » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:42 pm

XTC wrote:
lolwut wrote:
niQ wrote:

I have no idea why any ref would call a travel in that situation. Steve Nash use to do that ALL the time. Many great shooter step into their shot. It’s a great way to get into rhythm.

Shuffling your feet is not the same as "stepping into your shot". In order to step into your shot, you have to have a pivot foot established first, and then you "step into" your shot using your other foot to square your body. If you drag your pivot foot after doing this, then it's a travel.

With the way Paul George caught the ball, he established his left foot as the pivot, and he lifted it before taking the shot. It's a travel.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#605 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:59 pm

Siakam's off-season training with Rico has concluded for the summer.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,130

Post#606 » by duppyy » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:53 pm

Anybody else like to rewatch the shot and finals win when feeling down?
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#607 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:28 am

duppyy wrote:Anybody else like to rewatch the shot and finals win when feeling down?

I watched Lowrys hot start to that game so many times by now
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#608 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:13 am

duppyy wrote:Anybody else like to rewatch the shot and finals win when feeling down?

Games 5 and 6 against the Bucks are on repeat in my crib. Undeniably they were the most dominant team in the L last season. And we beat 'em. No excuses, no injuries. Just beat 'em. That was the championship.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,256

Post#609 » by XTC » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:48 am

lolwut wrote:
XTC wrote:
lolwut wrote:That might be the Kapono special right there.

Shuffling your feet is not the same as "stepping into your shot". In order to step into your shot, you have to have a pivot foot established first, and then you "step into" your shot using your other foot to square your body. If you drag your pivot foot after doing this, then it's a travel.

With the way Paul George caught the ball, he established his left foot as the pivot, and he lifted it before taking the shot. It's a travel.

George never had the ball when he moved his pivot. Look closely, not a travel.

Regardless, not a travel in my eyes. I’ve seen James Harden and Lebron get away with much worst. The movement that George preformed would not be called 9/10 times in any recreational/pro situation.
lolwut
General Manager

Post#610 » by lolwut » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:03 pm

XTC wrote:
lolwut wrote:
XTC wrote:

Regardless, not a travel in my eyes. I’ve seen James Harden and Lebron get away with much worst. The movement that George preformed would not be called 9/10 times in any recreational/pro situation.

Wait, what? How exactly do you have a pivot foot if you don't even have the ball?

Just because superstars get away with it doesn't make it a legal move.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,746

Post#611 » by And1Skip » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:34 pm

Was gonna post this in the Team Canada thread but its not really related. I'm glad to see Marc Gasol having a pretty solid FIBAWC tournament, playing 25-30 mins and averaging like 17/6/3 on decent efficiency. Much needed conditioning as he enters into training came later this month.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#612 » by Mikistan » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:42 pm

XTC wrote:
lolwut wrote:
XTC wrote:

looks like 2 steps then a shot - exactly like 2 foot dunk takeoffs/layups no?
KingSebastian
Rookie
And1: 1,219

Post#613 » by KingSebastian » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:40 pm

lolwut wrote:
XTC wrote:
lolwut wrote:That might be the Kapono special right there.

You're allowed to lift your pivot foot to take a shot... It just can't land before you release the ball.
Read the rule book.
It's been discussed recently on the general board. We've all been lied to as children.
It's not a travel, sorry

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,646

Post#614 » by sbsat » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:50 pm

And1Skip wrote:Was gonna post this in the Team Canada thread but its not really related. I'm glad to see Marc Gasol having a pretty solid FIBAWC tournament, playing 25-30 mins and averaging like 17/6/3 on decent efficiency. Much needed conditioning as he enters into training came later this month.

he's got to work off a lot of booze!
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#615 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:15 pm

A lot of the young guys like Dewan & Konate are in Toronto now.
Meaning vacay time is over and its time to get down to business.
The coaching staff will probably do some work with these guys at the OVO Athletic Center for the next couple of weeks. Then media day will be on the 28th of September, after which they'll depart for Quebec City for the start of training camp.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#616 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:17 pm

And1Skip wrote:Was gonna post this in the Team Canada thread but its not really related. I'm glad to see Marc Gasol having a pretty solid FIBAWC tournament, playing 25-30 mins and averaging like 17/6/3 on decent efficiency. Much needed conditioning as he enters into training came later this month.

Agreed. He's rejuvenated after the title win. Probably feels younger after the parade as well. I expect Marc to put up 15/6/5 this upcoming season. The FO will have a tough decision to make around trade deadline. Should they move his expiring contract for picks/prospects or hang onto him for the year and see how far we can go in the playoffs.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#617 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:33 pm

Ben Taylor on OG's upside

Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#618 » by Joker » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:46 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Ben Taylor on OG's upside

body control/balance/footwork and finesse/touch/skill may be more important for finishing at the rim than size is. You've got little guys like Kyrie who finish everything and big wings like Draymond who won't finish if they're too offbalance or too contested.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#619 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:58 pm

Joker wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:Ben Taylor on OG's upside

body control/balance/footwork and finesse/touch/skill may be more important for finishing at the rim than size is. You've got little guys like Kyrie who finish everything and big wings like Draymond who won't finish if they're too offbalance or too contested.

to be fair OG is alot more athletic than Draymond but body control and finesse arent really his strong suits (although he did show some flashes of it in that driving highlight video somebody posted here)
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#620 » by lebron stopper » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:42 am

https://fansided.com/2019/09/03/projecting-pascal-siakam-number-one-option/

One of the biggest and most immediate, changes for Siakam will be that he will now command the opponents’ best defender every single night. Leonard drew that spotlight each time he stepped on the court last year, but Siakam will now be the primary focus of opposing teams’ game plans.

One way to understand how that might play out is to look back at the Raptors’ last season. With Kawhi’s now-famous load management system, Siakam ended up playing 20 games last season without his teammate, where we were able to see him as a No. 1 option. While Toronto went 17-5 in the games they played sans Kawhi (he and Siakam both sat in two games), many of those games were against poor teams — they were just 4-5 in games against playoff opponents during that stretch. Importantly though, in those games, many of Siakam’s offensive numbers — his usage rate, scoring, and field goal percentage — stayed very similar to his figures from the rest of the season.

While most of his numbers stayed the same when playing without Leonard, the one part of Siakam’s game that was negatively affected by Leonard’s departure was his long-range shooting. Without Kawhi’s ability to probe the defense, Siakam wasn’t able to camp in the corner and rely on kick-outs for open looks. In games where Kawhi played, Siakam actually shot a scorching 41.9 percent from downtown on over 2.5 attempts a night. Without him, that number dropped to under 24 percent. Rather than counting on his teammates to provide him with shots, Siakam will need to be much more of an initiator next season. Just as he learned to create his own shot in the paint, he will need to do the same from long distance.

The Raptors’ offense often struggled in the postseason when Leonard came off the court, as opposing teams would stick centers like Joel Embiid and Brook Lopez on Siakam to prevent him from driving to the basket and initiating any offense. For the most part, it worked. The big men were able to sag off him above the break and baited him into driving right at their bodies.

The simple counter to that, which Siakam must develop, is a reliable pull-up jump shot. If he can manage to convert a respectable percentage of his looks from the mid-range above the break, it will open a new avenue of options. Adding a mid-range game would require defenders to step out to him a little more, opening up space for him to blow by them with his athleticism.

Return to Toronto Raptors