ImageImageImage

2019 season speculation including trade ideas

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Will Booker make the all-star team this year?

Yes
49%
No
51%

Total votes: 77

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,038

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 53 more days til season opener! 

Post#61 » by sunsbg » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:20 pm

Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:All these games during the summer means so little IMO. The competition is really low, so I am not impressed by the good play from Bogdanovic or any other solid NBA player in the tournament. It is a must for them.

Obviously I prefer him over Chriss, that was a terrible trade, but we are not talking about an All Star or something like that...he is the sixth man on a non playoff team.

Then I guess you are not impressed by Mikal either, who as you know played on one of the worst teams last season, was no where to be found on the Select team during the scrimmages, and I can't imagine as a leader of Serbia team, which Bogdan has been for some time.

Will he become an All-star ? I don't think so, but I think the chance for Mikal is even smaller and he's still loved by many.

Well...different type of players, but Mikal is four years younger and way better defensively. I think that Mikal will be the better overall player in his prime.

He just needs to get stronger and improve a bit on offense to be considered an starting two-way player that you can put in front of the opponent's best perimeter scorer every game.

31 points against Italy today. Exceptional 3PT shooting so far and he's getting all the love on GB, so I'm not so sure about that.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#62 » by sunsbg » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:23 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Crives wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Not bad

That is nice.

Mikal is perfect for the Suns, but it's obvious he's not anything like those players, Oladipo and Butler specifically. They are stars, it's hard to imagine Mikal as anything more than a super role player.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,816

Post#63 » by Saberestar » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:45 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Then I guess you are not impressed by Mikal either, who as you know played on one of the worst teams last season, was no where to be found on the Select team during the scrimmages, and I can't imagine as a leader of Serbia team, which Bogdan has been for some time.

Will he become an All-star ? I don't think so, but I think the chance for Mikal is even smaller and he's still loved by many.

Well...different type of players, but Mikal is four years younger and way better defensively. I think that Mikal will be the better overall player in his prime.

He just needs to get stronger and improve a bit on offense to be considered an starting two-way player that you can put in front of the opponent's best perimeter scorer every game.

31 points against Italy today. Exceptional 3PT shooting so far and he's getting all the love on GB, so I'm not so sure about that.

Italy?? :roll:

Seriously, look at the roster from Italy and look the roster from any team in the NBA ... come on.

Bogdanovic is a good bench player, probably a sixth man but he is not good enough to start over Buddy Hield or Harrison Barnes on the Kings.

And yes... he would not start on the Suns because we have Booker and Bridges (Oubre) on these SG/SF spots, and they fit better together.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by sunsbg » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:46 pm

Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Well...different type of players, but Mikal is four years younger and way better defensively. I think that Mikal will be the better overall player in his prime.

Seriously, look at the roster from Italy and look the roster from any team in the NBA ... come on.

Bogdanovic is a good bench player, probably a sixth man but he is not good enough to start over Buddy Hield or Harrison Barnes on the Kings.

And yes... he would not start on the Suns because we have Booker and Bridges (Oubre) on these SG/SF spots, and they fit better together.

I see, it doesn't count if it's not against this great USA team that almost lost to Turkey. It doesn't matter NBA stars can hardly score 20 in this environment and shoot 3/12. :)

I brought it up as those two were compared as 6th man on Kings vs Suns rosters in BSoTS article and it was an interesting debate. Personally I could take Mikal for the Suns, but Bogdan any day in a FIBA setting and most other NBA teams as he's simply better right now and not sure it changes in the future. Mikal has an advantage on D, but that's it. Bogdan is a better shooter and creator.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#65 » by bwgood77 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:55 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

I see, it doesn't count if it's not against this great USA team that almost lost to Turkey. It doesn't matter NBA stars can hardly score 20 in this environment and shoot 3/12. :)

I brought it up as those two were compared as 6th man on Kings vs Suns rosters in BSoTS article and it was an interesting debate. Personally I could take Mikal for the Suns, but Bogdan any day in a FIBA setting and most other NBA teams as he's simply better right now and not sure it changes in the future. Mikal has an advantage on D, but that's it. Bogdan is a better shooter and creator.

Bogdan is 27 and Mikal is 23. Mikal is much better defensively. Mikal is a pretty good passer too. Bogdan is the better passer but Mikal is a pretty good passer himself. As far as shooting goes, I don't know. Mikal wasn't good as a rookie, but heck, Booker was worse on that team last year from 3. Mikal shot 43.5% from 3 his last year in college, so it won't surprise me if he gets up around 40% this year. But most importantly is the defense. Mikal really should start as the 3D guy while Oubre is the more comparable scoring option 6th man type off the bench.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#66 » by Saberestar » Wed Sep 4, 2019 10:09 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

We agree to disagree.
Christine-In-AZ
Starter
And1: 1,539

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 49 more days til season opener! 

Post#67 » by Christine-In-AZ » Fri Sep 6, 2019 6:05 am

Hey all ...

Pretty much just posting this as a proof I’m still reading/lurking occasionally while we’re on the “dark side” of the NBA calendar.

Seems the Suns upcoming season is going to be judged under/through a highly subjective lens. What will be deemed “the Suns made strides via the off season moves” or “ See! PHX is still a bottom feeder ...will be so subjective IMO. Fine.

If the Suns win say? 32 games in the upcoming campaign, my sense is both the “yea” and “nay” “are the Suns putting it together” camps are going to claim a win.

“Season subjective” upcoming. Capt.Obviously, but the truth is going to be in the details beyond whatever the win total.

Can’t wait for the get-go. It should be interesting. Booker/Ayton going full blown/realized potential could flip our script.

Always hopeful.

Later
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#68 » by Saberestar » Fri Sep 6, 2019 9:21 am

ChrisInAZ wrote:Hey all ...

Pretty much just posting this as a proof I’m still reading/lurking occasionally while we’re on the “dark side” of the NBA calendar.

Seems the Suns upcoming season is going to be judged under/through a highly subjective lens. What will be deemed “the Suns made strides via the off season moves” or “ See! PHX is still a bottom feeder ...will be so subjective IMO. Fine.

If the Suns win say? 32 games in the upcoming campaign, my sense is both the “yea” and “nay” “are the Suns putting it together” camps are going to claim a win.

“Season subjective” upcoming. Capt.Obviously, but the truth is going to be in the details beyond whatever the win total.

Can’t wait for the get-go. It should be interesting. Booker/Ayton going full blown/realized potential could flip our script.

Always hopeful.

Later

32 W would be clearly judged as "the Suns made strides via the off season moves". 13 more wins that last season... no one could say that we are not on the right path.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#69 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:24 pm

The Athletic is 40% off right now. It's definitely worth it if you have $2.99 a month to spare. Much better content than anywhere else.

Zach Lowe’s future with ESPN is up in the air. We reported in July that Lowe is a looming free agent; with under a month until the NBA preseason kicks off, Lowe has not yet signed a new deal with ESPN. Decision-makers at the network really hope to retain him, but there exists a price that is a bridge too far as they continue to practice austerity on talent deals.

The most likely suitor for Lowe is The Athletic. They are believed to have made a substantial offer. Lowe, in deciding between ESPN and The Athletic, must weigh factors like whether and how much he wants to be on television, the extent to which having the widest possible readership for his stories and listenership for his podcasts is important to him, and if he wants the pressure of driving enough subscriptions to justify a seven-figure annual deal.

https://thebiglead.com/2019/09/06/espn-nba-woj-nba-countdown-zach-lowe-update/
Jarlaxle0204
Sixth Man
And1: 2,091

Post#70 » by Jarlaxle0204 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:34 pm

When is media day? Just curious how much longer I have to wait.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#71 » by Kerrsed » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:24 am

Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#72 » by bwoolf2 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 7:36 pm

Kerrsed wrote:

I wasnt a huge fan because of his 3pt shot but its looking a lot better than last year. if he can hit at a 38-40% clip this year we are going to surprise. He is going to make a huge difference... 19pts and led to the upset of Serbia yesterday... dominate performance by Rubio... Suns will finally be worth watching again at the very least...

Christine-In-AZ
Starter
And1: 1,539

Post#73 » by Christine-In-AZ » Sun Sep 8, 2019 10:00 pm

Saberestar wrote:
ChrisInAZ wrote:Hey all ...

Always hopeful.

Later

32 W would be clearly judged as "the Suns made strides via the off season moves". 13 more wins that last season... no one could say that we are not on the right path.

32 wins wouldn’t necessarily qualify the off season moves as successful imo. In general, the moves made have a “floor” of a 10 or 12 win bump ...some swapping of a lot of possible or even iffy upside for known and somewhat limited upside looking forward.

Yep, at first blush, jumping to 32 wins and 12th? In the West could be quickly be deemed a winning outcome, but in longer term definitions of “success”? Again I don’t sense the Ws and Ls are going to say much about the path chosen by Jones and co. Not this season anyway
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#74 » by Saberestar » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:37 am

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#75 » by Saberestar » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:28 am

Read on Twitter
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#76 » by darmani » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:09 pm

Baynes completely outplayed Gobert today
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#77 » by bwoolf2 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 8:29 pm

darmani wrote:Baynes completely outplayed Gobert today

Can't wait for Baynes to teach Ayton how to set a screen the guy is a master at setting solid screens and rolling or popping...

;feature=onebox
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#78 » by Fo-Real » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:48 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Gotta say after watching a few interviews, I dont like that dudes attitude and vibe. Seems cockey, entitled and standoffish about it all at the same time. For a dude without elite quickness, athletic ability and average shooting, he is pretty full of himself.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#79 » by BobbieL » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:48 pm

bwgood77 wrote:The Athletic is 40% off right now. It's definitely worth it if you have $2.99 a month to spare. Much better content than anywhere else.

Zach Lowe’s future with ESPN is up in the air. We reported in July that Lowe is a looming free agent; with under a month until the NBA preseason kicks off, Lowe has not yet signed a new deal with ESPN. Decision-makers at the network really hope to retain him, but there exists a price that is a bridge too far as they continue to practice austerity on talent deals.

The most likely suitor for Lowe is The Athletic. They are believed to have made a substantial offer. Lowe, in deciding between ESPN and The Athletic, must weigh factors like whether and how much he wants to be on television, the extent to which having the widest possible readership for his stories and listenership for his podcasts is important to him, and if he wants the pressure of driving enough subscriptions to justify a seven-figure annual deal.

https://thebiglead.com/2019/09/06/espn-nba-woj-nba-countdown-zach-lowe-update/

I get the Athletic. I think Mizell covers the Suns the best in the city for their sport. She is really good. I like her more than Bordow or Mcmanaman covering the Cardinals. Rankin and Moore. Don’t get me started...

If Lowe goes to the Athletic - he would be an excellent addition.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#80 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:33 pm

darmani wrote:Baynes completely outplayed Gobert today

Oh good grief. I just spent 15 minutes researching and writing a rebuttal to this post, and then realized you did NOT say "Baynes completely outplayed BY Gobert today."

:o

Return to Phoenix Suns