ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: Yuri Vaultin, pbj, Rhettmatic, Duffman100, Alfred, DG88, Patman, Morris_Shatford

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 39,220
And1: 7,965
Joined: Mar 29, 2006
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2661 » by Calinks » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:45 am

Senegal going off in this first.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Oakville_Raptor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,863
And1: 2,678
Joined: Feb 20, 2008
Location: Oakville, ON
         

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2662 » by Oakville_Raptor » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:54 am

If I’m Nurse I would step down...I don’t see Canada’s top players ever playing for the team. It’s become a complete waste of time for him thus far.
Image
User avatar
Jstock12
General Manager
Posts: 8,670
And1: 15,466
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2663 » by Jstock12 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 8:13 am

That was a dangerous 1st quarter. But Canada came back into the game. This matchup does seem like a recipe for an upset though. Not having good depth or elite talent might prove to be problematic against a long and athletic team like Senegal. Hopefully you guys take it.
And1Skip
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,943
And1: 5,801
Joined: Jun 08, 2003
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2664 » by And1Skip » Thu Sep 5, 2019 8:22 am

The amount of money missed wide open threes from guys that should be making them (Wiltjer, Pangos, Heslip) is infuriating.
And1Skip
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,943
And1: 5,801
Joined: Jun 08, 2003
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2665 » by And1Skip » Thu Sep 5, 2019 8:47 am

Ok saved by Joseph and Pangos in the 3rd quarter as they should. Man it’s so sad watching Klassen and Morgan get meaningful minutes. They are so bad. Unfortunate that Brissett got injured in exhibition because he would have been important here in the WC
gundysmullet
Rookie
Posts: 1,187
And1: 644
Joined: May 20, 2019

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2666 » by gundysmullet » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:56 pm

Slo wrote:Yoooo why noone tell me Scola droped 10 years of age during the summer??? :o


Image

Wow, he finally got a haircut and got rid Of his ridiculous 80s hair. Looks 100 times better!
User avatar
OakleyDokely
RealGM
Posts: 14,410
And1: 33,181
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: 416
 

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2667 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:58 pm

Nurse is way too logical to be working with basketball Canada.

"When I considered [the job] I thought there would be a majority of NBA guys playing, which I thought made sense as an NBA coach to have an NBA guy coaching them," Nurse said on Wednesday.
Kenter16
Ballboy
Posts: 26
And1: 13
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2668 » by Kenter16 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:43 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1169377807702446080&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bardown.com%2Fsteve-nash-criticizes-canadian-players-dropping-out-from-the-national-team-1.1360803
And1Skip
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,943
And1: 5,801
Joined: Jun 08, 2003
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2669 » by And1Skip » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
User avatar
Mattd97
Head Coach
Posts: 6,089
And1: 2,242
Joined: Mar 29, 2007
Location: Toronto

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2670 » by Mattd97 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 2:12 pm

Kenter16 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1169377807702446080&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bardown.com%2Fsteve-nash-criticizes-canadian-players-dropping-out-from-the-national-team-1.1360803


Every thing hes saying is true. Would be more impactful if he lived up to it. But I guess all the development stuff doesnt really apply to his role as GM and hea making a practical selfish reason for playing rather than some greater altruistic patriotism angle that many here believe in. Still wish he could convince the younger generation better if he has been telling them this
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
Hair Canada
Senior
Posts: 619
And1: 645
Joined: Nov 02, 2017

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2671 » by Hair Canada » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:50 pm

And1Skip wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20


Yes, it's a joke. Only silver lining -- On my last visit to the FIBA website, where they explain their ranking system, I've noticed that it has finally changed. Used to be that the last 8 years mattered all in the same way. Now they give extra weight to recency, so that results from the last year matter most, from 2-3 years ago a bit less. 4-5 even less, and 6-7 almost nothing (now it's 7 instead of 8 years). Also, any international win matters (with different weights), as well as who you played and the margin of the final result (both win and loss). Interestingly, games in the WC matter a bit more than the Olympics in their new system.

We'll have to see, but I think in this revised ranking system Canada might fare better with its recent good winning record (we'll see).
And1Skip
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,943
And1: 5,801
Joined: Jun 08, 2003
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2672 » by And1Skip » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:21 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
And1Skip wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20


Yes, it's a joke. Only silver lining -- On my last visit to the FIBA website, where they explain their ranking system, I've noticed that it has finally changed. Used to be that the last 8 years mattered all in the same way. Now they give extra weight to recency, so that results from the last year matter most, from 2-3 years ago a bit less. 4-5 even less, and 6-7 almost nothing (now it's 7 instead of 8 years). Also, any international win matters (with different weights), as well as who you played and the margin of the final result (both win and loss). Interestingly, games in the WC matter a bit more than the Olympics in their new system.

We'll have to see, but I think in this revised ranking system Canada might fare better with its recent good winning record (we'll see).


I hope so. I'm confident Canada can beat Jordan this weekend, but not so sure about Germany (who have 4 NBA rotation players on their team). So not sure what a 1-1 record in the 17-32 classification round would do if Germany goes 2-0, and Turkey is in it too now. I hope FIBA still gives credit to Canada's record leading up to the WC in determining who they face in the last chance qualifier tournament.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 39,220
And1: 7,965
Joined: Mar 29, 2006
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2673 » by Calinks » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:07 pm

You cant get away with fielding a B or C team anymore. Even the US is going to struggle in this tournament. International ball is really high level stuff. FIBA,NBA, Olympics need to work something out so players can participate easier.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
User avatar
niQ
RealGM
Posts: 11,731
And1: 21,564
Joined: Jun 14, 2011

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2674 » by niQ » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:10 pm

Apparently Cory Joseph had 24 points...



but only gets 1 highlight lol
Image
Credits Clutch0z24
frumble
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,338
And1: 655
Joined: Aug 23, 2012

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2675 » by frumble » Thu Sep 5, 2019 8:41 pm

And1Skip wrote:
I hope so. I'm confident Canada can beat Jordan this weekend, but not so sure about Germany (who have 4 NBA rotation players on their team). So not sure what a 1-1 record in the 17-32 classification round would do if Germany goes 2-0, and Turkey is in it too now. I hope FIBA still gives credit to Canada's record leading up to the WC in determining who they face in the last chance qualifier tournament.


I believe all games count in the classification process, so Canada would be 3-2 if we beat Jordan and Germany and 2-3 if we beat Jordan and lose to Germany (or vice versa).

I haven't looked too closely at the permutations, but I think its fairly safe to assume that 3-2 would be good enough for an auto bid to next summer's last-chance qualifiers, whereas 2-3 likely would not be.

Can anyone confirm that the last two spots for each last-chance tourney (the spots that aren't secured automatically through the World Cup), are awarded on a regional basis, with two to the Americas? And can anyone confirm that they are awarded on the basis of FIBA rankings?

Thanks.
omar36
Analyst
Posts: 3,089
And1: 4,302
Joined: Aug 30, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2676 » by omar36 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:13 pm

Calinks wrote:You cant get away with fielding a B or C team anymore. Even the US is going to struggle in this tournament. International ball is really high level stuff. FIBA,NBA, Olympics need to work something out so players can participate easier.



i mean if this was the oltmpics, gurantee ppl would be here. its the fact no one in the nba really cares for the fiba stuff. these young guys for the most part dont think its rewarding and its not like fifa. The olympics has always held more wight for basketball and i honeslty believe we could get these dudes if this was the olympics. sadly, they dont seem to understand we need to qualify first lol. Some guys are injured so i cant blame them, we have seen this past few months what happens if you dont fully recover. however there are a couple players that just refuse to play and its just sucks,
Image
steadysoul
Ballboy
Posts: 12
And1: 1
Joined: Mar 15, 2019
 

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2677 » by steadysoul » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:31 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
And1Skip wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20


Yes, it's a joke. Only silver lining -- On my last visit to the FIBA website, where they explain their ranking system, I've noticed that it has finally changed. Used to be that the last 8 years mattered all in the same way. Now they give extra weight to recency, so that results from the last year matter most, from 2-3 years ago a bit less. 4-5 even less, and 6-7 almost nothing (now it's 7 instead of 8 years). Also, any international win matters (with different weights), as well as who you played and the margin of the final result (both win and loss). Interestingly, games in the WC matter a bit more than the Olympics in their new system.

We'll have to see, but I think in this revised ranking system Canada might fare better with its recent good winning record (we'll see).


They changed it in 2017 when they began the new setup. Canada will improve by just being in the fwc but that doesn't guarantee that they move up. That depends on how well the countries ahead of them do.
Kenter16
Ballboy
Posts: 26
And1: 13
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2678 » by Kenter16 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:59 pm

frumble wrote:
And1Skip wrote:
I hope so. I'm confident Canada can beat Jordan this weekend, but not so sure about Germany (who have 4 NBA rotation players on their team). So not sure what a 1-1 record in the 17-32 classification round would do if Germany goes 2-0, and Turkey is in it too now. I hope FIBA still gives credit to Canada's record leading up to the WC in determining who they face in the last chance qualifier tournament.


I believe all games count in the classification process, so Canada would be 3-2 if we beat Jordan and Germany and 2-3 if we beat Jordan and lose to Germany (or vice versa).

I haven't looked too closely at the permutations, but I think its fairly safe to assume that 3-2 would be good enough for an auto bid to next summer's last-chance qualifiers, whereas 2-3 likely would not be.

Can anyone confirm that the last two spots for each last-chance tourney (the spots that aren't secured automatically through the World Cup), are awarded on a regional basis, with two to the Americas? And can anyone confirm that they are awarded on the basis of FIBA rankings?

Thanks.


They just have to finish top 2 in their new group (3 of 4 second place teams are automatic). With the way it is setup, it's almost impossible for them to not qualify. If they beat Jordon, they are 99% assured that they are in. They have the tie breaker over Senegal. So in order to be passed Senegal would need to win 2 and Canada would need to lose 2. This is highly unlikely. They can also be passed by Jordan, but that means Jordan has to beat both Canada and Senegal and have Canada lose to Germany.
However, there are huge implications with the seeding. It give us a better draw in the qualification tournaments if we beat Germany as well.
Kenter16
Ballboy
Posts: 26
And1: 13
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2679 » by Kenter16 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 11:02 pm

Well, I took a few minutes and looked at who is going to be going to the qualification tournaments...

My best guess based on what I have seen.
Qualify automatically - USA, Argentina, Serbia, France, Tunisia, Japan, Australia and China.

That leaves these guys as the likely qualifiers for the tournaments ( * for the two chosen after the WC);
Africa-
Nigeria
Senegal*
Angola*

Americas-
Brazil
Venezuela
DR
PR
Canada
Mexico*
Uruguay*

Asia-
New Zealand
Iran*
Philippines*

Europe-
Poland
Russia
Spain
Italy
Czech Republic
Lithuania
Greece
Turkey
Germany
Slovenia*
Croatia*

If we get drawn with Spain we are done. I think we have a chance with everyone else.
Dtown84
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,571
And1: 155
Joined: Aug 29, 2004
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2680 » by Dtown84 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:29 am

Kenter16 wrote:
They just have to finish top 2 in their new group (3 of 4 second place teams are automatic). With the way it is setup, it's almost impossible for them to not qualify. If they beat Jordon, they are 99% assured that they are in. They have the tie breaker over Senegal. So in order to be passed Senegal would need to win 2 and Canada would need to lose 2. This is highly unlikely. They can also be passed by Jordan, but that means Jordan has to beat both Canada and Senegal and have Canada lose to Germany.
However, there are huge implications with the seeding. It give us a better draw in the qualification tournaments if we beat Germany as well.


It's 100% at this point. In addition to the 16 teams that automatically get to the Olympic Qualifying tournament, each region (Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa) gets 2 spots given to the highest ranked in the region. Canada would be one of those teams even if they went 0-2.

That said better to win their way in,rather than rely on a pity invite.

Return to Toronto Raptors