ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 239 recap card of the year Jones pushed to brink 

Post#221 » by j4remi » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:06 pm

Fury wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Fury wrote:Not sure what the odds are now but I’d put mad money on Weili Zhang. Feel like people are sleeping on her and thought I was maybe crazy but seeing your thoughts on this match, I agree with what you’re saying.

I've been tempted to myself, but it goes against my typical betting style. Zhang only has one true elite opponent so there's a lot we don't know about her...but fam...I think she's legit. The only question is whether she's ready for the big step up right now or if this is a bit too soon. Andrade looked a lot less impressive against opponents that she couldn't overpower though and I really think Zhang has that edge. I've taken some L's betting on proven vets vs up and comers that have the look but not the proof though. Sandhagen and Hermannson have both blown up chunks of my gains betting this year :nonono:

If Zhang goes above +160, I'll probably bite on a soft bet. 15-20 bones, nothing too crazy but enough to bet on baseball games in the afternoon :lol:

Yoooooooooooo

I caught the line at +150 for a 20 spot. That was absolutely beautiful. It was only 40 seconds of combat but it was absolute matador vs bull. Leg kick, leg kick, step out. Leg kick, leg kick, step out. Leg kick, leg kick, in step and counter. Those elbows! Those knees! That was spectacular. Second fastest KO in division history against the toughest chin in the division’s history. My jaw is on the floor.

Edit: I also cashed a extra soft ten spot on jiangliang +220. But that just bailed me out from a loss on soukhamthat -_-
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,443

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 239 recap card of the year Jones pushed to brink 

Post#222 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Sep 1, 2019 4:24 am

j4remi wrote:
Fury wrote:
j4remi wrote:
I've been tempted to myself, but it goes against my typical betting style. Zhang only has one true elite opponent so there's a lot we don't know about her...but fam...I think she's legit. The only question is whether she's ready for the big step up right now or if this is a bit too soon. Andrade looked a lot less impressive against opponents that she couldn't overpower though and I really think Zhang has that edge. I've taken some L's betting on proven vets vs up and comers that have the look but not the proof though. Sandhagen and Hermannson have both blown up chunks of my gains betting this year :nonono:

If Zhang goes above +160, I'll probably bite on a soft bet. 15-20 bones, nothing too crazy but enough to bet on baseball games in the afternoon :lol:

Yoooooooooooo

I caught the line at +150 for a 20 spot. That was absolutely beautiful. It was only 40 seconds of combat but it was absolute matador vs bull. Leg kick, leg kick, step out. Leg kick, leg kick, step out. Leg kick, leg kick, in step and counter. Those elbows! Those knees! That was spectacular. Second fastest KO in division history against the toughest chin in the division’s history. My jaw is on the floor.

Edit: I also cashed a extra soft ten spot on jiangliang +220. But that just bailed me out from a loss on soukhamthat -_-

Who’s next for Zhang? Does Rose make a comeback?
Free Palestine
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,970

Post#223 » by NYKinMIA » Sun Sep 1, 2019 7:57 am

MMA is dudes in shorts humping each other. Respect the craft. Cauliflower ears are nasty though.
Give me good, technical, pugilism any day.

The sweet science is dying, older homies. Breaking my heart.
Give me prime, Sugar on CCT old days...anyfuqin time!

Or, Tyson in a towel with, Cus.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#224 » by j4remi » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:47 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

My money's on Tatiana Suarez getting the next shot. She's had a great run up and also has the size to compete with Zhang, plus elite grappling that makes her a threat against any opponent. I know Rose wanted some time off and seemed relieved that the stress of the belt was gone, so I'd bring her on slowly, I'd love a rematch with Esparza or maybe Gadelha for her. Then I'd probably go with Andrade vs the winner of Joanna vs Waterson to jump one of those two back in the title picture. Joanna vs Zhang is a fight I REALLY want to happen at some point though Joanna is already booked and probably at least one more win out of getting another title shot having lost her last three title fights.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#225 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 2, 2019 4:22 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

My money's on Tatiana Suarez getting the next shot. She's had a great run up and also has the size to compete with Zhang, plus elite grappling that makes her a threat against any opponent. I know Rose wanted some time off and seemed relieved that the stress of the belt was gone, so I'd bring her on slowly, I'd love a rematch with Esparza or maybe Gadelha for her. Then I'd probably go with Andrade vs the winner of Joanna vs Waterson to jump one of those two back in the title picture. Joanna vs Zhang is a fight I REALLY want to happen at some point though Joanna is already booked and probably at least one more win out of getting another title shot having lost her last three title fights.

I was thinking Joanna too though I don’t what she’s been doing, if anything, lately. Suarez would be very tough as well.
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Post#226 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:21 am

NYKinMIA wrote:MMA is dudes in shorts humping each other. Respect the craft. Cauliflower ears are nasty though.
Give me good, technical, pugilism any day.

The sweet science is dying, older homies. Breaking my heart.
Give me prime, Sugar on CCT old days...anyfuqin time!

Or, Tyson in a towel with, Cus.

Yeah, I hear you, but Ali's ears au gratin can't compare to Frankie Edgar's ears drizzled with a blend of melted parmesan and gouda paired with a chilled chablis
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Post#227 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:22 am

Damn Zhang smoked Andrade. I think Jessica was so used to walking people down she got careless and paid the price.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#228 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:34 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:Damn Zhang smoked Andrade. I think Jessica was so used to walking people down she got careless and paid the price.

This should be here fight intro song.

ell automatic slim
Tell razor totin' jim
Tell butcher knife totin' annie
Tell fast talkin' fanny
Tonite we're gonna pitch a ball
Down to that union hall
Gonna romp and tromp 'till midnite
We're gonna fuss and fight 'till daylight
We're gonna pitch a Wang Zhang doodle all night long

Free Palestine
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#229 » by GEOLINK » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:35 pm

Hoping Dustin pulls the upset.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#230 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:36 pm

GEOLINK wrote:Hoping Dustin pulls the upset.

SMESH!
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#231 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:43 pm

This was the only review I could find so far (actually it was already there in my "Recommended" vids on YT). I generally like the The Weasel's reviews and breakdowns.

Free Palestine
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#232 » by GEOLINK » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:44 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Hoping Dustin pulls the upset.

SMESH!

Yeah, yeah.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#233 » by GEOLINK » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:45 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:This was the only review I could find so far (actually it was already there in my "Recommended" vids on YT). I generally like the The Weasel's reviews and breakdowns.

Weasel is pretty good.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#234 » by j4remi » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:53 pm

Read on Twitter

First half is a recap of 241 and how we had our worst predictions set ever on that one (been doing these things since Aldo was still champion). The second half is predictions for the biggest UFC 242 fights.

Khabib vs Poirier - I went out on a limb and picked Poirier but I wouldn't remotely bet it. I just wanted some variation in our picks and I think Poirier is getting dogged a little. There are ways for him to win but everything has to fall right. My markers
1. Above 50% takedown defense rate. This is attainable because Khabib likes to give up an attempt to reset at new angle or with a new grip. Poirier is pretty good at pivoting out when an opponent breaks his grip. The caveat is he's also habitually going for chokes and damage that could leave him over reaching during a reset.

2. Cardio has to hold up. Diamond just did four straight cardio wars. Eddie, Gaethje, Eddie again, Holloway...in terms of pressure and cardio, these guys are top tier. The question is whether Poirier's cardio holds up as well with grappling and that's anyone's guess. The good news is he's a BJJ blackbelt and good in clinch situations but beyond that it's speculation.

3. Power translating...Khabib has rarely been hurt by opponents but Michael Johnson staggered him. A Southpaw with good reach and boxing fundamentals is the one guy to stagger Khabib momentarily...Dustin has those same attributes and more power. So if Dustin has impact that can push Khabib back or force him to shift and back away; he might just be able to get better spacing to defend. It also helps that Dustin is a combination puncher with good angle selection but how important that is when Khabib is chasing hips, legs and ankles to grab on to; I don't know.

Khabib should win though. Just tryna make it interesting.

Felder vs Barboza - Went with Felder. He's a smarter fighter than he gets credit for and Edson hasn't grown much imo since they fought. The first was a classic and close but Barboza was too fast. Felder should have some adjustments and I'm counting on him forcing an in-fight early and often. Barboza's speed is the game changer though. I'm taking Felder but this'll be decided by where it takes place. If they fight at range, Edson wins again. If Felder can force things into tighter areas, he'll have the edge.

Islam Makchaev vs Davi Ramos - Played it safe and picked Islam. He's apparently the most ducked Lightweight right now (along with Gillespie) and also Khabib's best training partner. He's a great grappler with crazy pace but not as good as Khabib. He's a better striker though imo, just sharper all around. Ramos is BJJ elite, an ADCC level killer. Against a fast paced grappler he's got a chance to score a sweep or choke and get the upset; he's just that great on the ground. This is closer than the line says but I do think Makchaev is the real deal and I lean toward him winning.

Last Andrea Lee vs Joanne Calderwood - I added this one in because it's a sleeper FOTN contender. Both are kickboxers, both mix in wrestling well and both hit hard for 125. The interesting thing for me is that I give Lee a slight talent edge but Jojo has one of the best coaches in the game (Firas Zahabi). So it's possible that this is one where tactics and adjustments decide things rather than skill and athleticism. That said, I picked KGB because I'm a stan for her style in the octagon. She's my divisional darkhorse.

Other than that, make note fam...UFC 242 is starting at 12:00 PM and the main card starts at 2:00 PM. It'll be done in time for dinner and a night out, so don't forget that and miss it. The card lacks star power but the fights are mostly interesting and could be good. Except for Blaydes/Abdurahimov; I think that'll be a boring one.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 242 preview how Poirier might beat Khabib 

Post#235 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:02 am

Peeps are talking about Poirier's takedown defense but he hasn't really fought any top notch wrestling guys. So that 50% snuff rate is a little suspect in my eyes.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 242 preview how Poirier might beat Khabib 

Post#236 » by j4remi » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:31 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Peeps are talking about Poirier's takedown defense but he hasn't really fought any top notch wrestling guys. So that 50% snuff rate is a little suspect in my eyes.

He’s definitely more in the unproven territory and khabib is beyond great so even a good takedown defense will be susceptible. But dustin’s a very intelligent fighter who had a lot of time to prepare and Luke thomas’ video about his takedown D really opened my eyes to the fact that he’s got really good footwork in those situations. If he takes some notes from the al iaquinta fight, it’s not out the realm of possibility. It is a long shot though, khabib should win.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#237 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:19 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Peeps are talking about Poirier's takedown defense but he hasn't really fought any top notch wrestling guys. So that 50% snuff rate is a little suspect in my eyes.

He’s definitely more in the unproven territory and khabib is beyond great so even a good takedown defense will be susceptible. But dustin’s a very intelligent fighter who had a lot of time to prepare and Luke thomas’ video about his takedown D really opened my eyes to the fact that he’s got really good footwork in those situations. If he takes some notes from the al iaquinta fight, it’s not out the realm of possibility. It is a long shot though, khabib should win.

Yeah, I watched Luke's video on that too. Then I watched The Weasel's video ... and he changed my mind. :lol:

SMESH!
Free Palestine
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#238 » by HighRyzer83 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:35 am

I think Dustin relishes these types of situations. He excels as the underdog. He just needs to be particularly competent with his tdd and getting up when he is downed. If his cardio holds up I think he can piece up habib to a unanimous vic
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#239 » by HighRyzer83 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:46 am

Rose is not ready for Zhang. Zhang is a stronger, smarter, less gay Andrade. Rose should just retire and leave the fighting to the fighters. I like her, but she's not built for this mentally
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#240 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:18 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:Rose is not ready for Zhang. Zhang is a stronger, smarter, less gay Andrade. Rose should just retire and leave the fighting to the fighters. I like her, but she's not built for this mentally

Rose should go into movies/TV. She's absolutely gorgeous.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks