ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#261 » by jmr07019 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:50 pm

After seeing Porier highlights from FIBA I think Rob is going to have a hard time getting consistent minutes. Kanter will start with Vinny as the backup. Rob will get more minutes than last year but be 3rd on the depth chart.
Show Love Spread Love
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#262 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:47 pm

Any links to Poirier clips?

I’m still cautiously very optimistic on Williams - if he keeps up the work, once he has the right defensive IQ and habits, he should be a good player. His offensive upside is the x-factor - if he develops *any* ability to shoot, he becomes twice as valuable.

I’m trying to think of young bigs with his natural gifts and a solid work ethic who haven’t become good pros.. still trying.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#263 » by cloverleaf » Thu Sep 5, 2019 11:51 pm

I see Rob developing into a Perk more suited to the modern game. He'll grow into a defensive anchor who will complement his more offensively oriented fellow starters. I think he'll become a vocal and respected leader in something of the way Perk did as well.

Yes, he seems to still be refining his team D, but he's too quick and savvy a passer to say he has a low BBIQ.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#264 » by jmr07019 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 4:09 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Any links to Poirier clips?

I’m still cautiously very optimistic on Williams - if he keeps up the work, once he has the right defensive IQ and habits, he should be a good player. His offensive upside is the x-factor - if he develops *any* ability to shoot, he becomes twice as valuable.

I’m trying to think of young bigs with his natural gifts and a solid work ethic who haven’t become good pros.. still trying.

I wasn't expecting Porier to be that athletic and quick. Thought he was more of a Baynes type. He should still have enough strength to give resistance to guys in the post especially if it's only for 15-20 a game.
Show Love Spread Love
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,906

Post#265 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 7:11 am

jmr07019 wrote:

I wasn't expecting Porier to be that athletic and quick. Thought he was more of a Baynes type. He should still have enough strength to give resistance to guys in the post especially if it's only for 15-20 a game.

Poirier does look good. Well balanced.
Looks like R. Williams is going to be 3rd on the Depth Chart.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,652

Post#266 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Sep 6, 2019 6:08 pm

Read on Twitter
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Post#267 » by 31to6 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 6:53 pm

I'm also optimistic about him -- don't think there's anything Clint Capella can do on a basketball court that Williams shouldn't be able to do pretty soon, and some posters were willing to trade quite a bit for Capella this summer.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#268 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:57 am

Capela is a couple inches shorter than Rob, depends on his vertical a little more - and he’s really quick on his feet - his ability to defend the pick and roll as a 5 is one of his distinct skills. I don’t know if Rob will be able to match him in that. He’s somewhere between Capela and Myles Turner in mobility.

If Rob keeps up the work, I think it’s 80% or better he realizes his upside as a rebounder and defender.

He’s never going to be Karl-Anthony Towns, but I do think he has some latent offensive ability - after his freshman year, there was buzz he’d be top 5 in the next draft and improve as a scorer. That didn’t happen, but the way he moves, he doesn’t look like Drummond or Deandre Jordan where you know there’s never going to be much. He’s sort of jerky fluid, like a calf born standing up and starting to walk around. He had a dribble and layup in the open court in summer league that you’d never see from Rudy Gobert. I think where you could see that first, if not in low post scoring, is in some acrobatic finishes around the rim.

But if he can ever just get to 35 percent on three pointers with some passing ability on top of the DJ/Capela stuff..
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#269 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:59 am

Young players are tough to predict, though - he could struggle all year, probably with things we wouldn’t immediately pick up on as fans.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#270 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Sep 7, 2019 4:00 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

It is always kind of funny how hard it is to get players to communicate on defense. Like they’re all a little too cool for it and don’t think it matters..
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#271 » by JHTruth » Sat Sep 7, 2019 6:50 pm

jmr07019 wrote:After seeing Porier highlights from FIBA I think Rob is going to have a hard time getting consistent minutes. Kanter will start with Vinny as the backup. Rob will get more minutes than last year but be 3rd on the depth chart.

I suspect Poirier and Lob Rob Will show enough that Kanter is moved by the deadline. That's Always been my theory anyway. Just too awful on D..
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#272 » by cloverleaf » Sun Sep 8, 2019 3:39 pm

JHTruth wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:After seeing Porier highlights from FIBA I think Rob is going to have a hard time getting consistent minutes. Kanter will start with Vinny as the backup. Rob will get more minutes than last year but be 3rd on the depth chart.

I suspect Poirier and Lob Rob Will show enough that Kanter is moved by the deadline. That's Always been my theory anyway. Just too awful on D..

I think they'll get Kanter to play a little better on D and of course his rebounding will always be valuable. My hope is that Rob wrests the starting role from Enes midseason, as I think Enes in the second unit could be good on D and of course very good featured on O. On a young team, Kanter's vet experience would be especially valuable for the playoffs. Also, at least to start, he seems like a good teammate here.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#273 » by captain green » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:34 pm

I like him I like that he sled. But I'm starting to think he went to the wrong team to develop a center of his ilk. Hope I'm wrong cause he is our best natural blocker on the team.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,671

Post#274 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:32 am

So for defensive communication that can't be handled by a perimeter player we're relying on:

-- A Turk who overcame his shyness longer ago than his aversion to defense.
-- A Frenchman who's only spent a few months in the US in his life.
-- A diffident, soft-spoken American.
-- A wonderfully well-spoken rookie PF who's competiting for minutes with about five incumbent players, i.e. our 3 natural SFs and ...
-- ... a German who, however, seems to be pretty fluent in English and ...
-- ... a combo forward whose rate of basketball development was disappointing in college and again in the pros.
-- Probably only on rare occasions, an elite defensive guard who can defend bigs because of his incredible activity while doing so.

Fun times. :)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#275 » by 100proof » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:42 pm

jmr07019 wrote:

He is as strong as Baynes.

Porier is faster, more athletic, and just as strong a physical as baynes. Lacks the range though.

Perhaps a better comparison is Stephen Adams
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#276 » by GuyClinch » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:39 pm

Rob needs to hit some Js. You need some offensive ability in the NBA to play center. Dunks are nice - but when you can't get those some post moves like little fall aways and such will keep in the lineup. Best if he proves he can hit the three ball - this is a Danny Ainge/Brad Stevens team after all..
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#277 » by cloverleaf » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:51 pm

GuyClinch wrote:Rob needs to hit some Js. You need some offensive ability in the NBA to play center. Dunks are nice - but when you can't get those some post moves like little fall aways and such will keep in the lineup. Best if he proves he can hit the three ball - this is a Danny Ainge/Brad Stevens team after all..

Is his O any more dunk-centric than Poirier's? But they have been working with Rob for a year on his range and wouldn't have had him shooting some midrange in SL if they hadn't been pretty sure he could make them. But I think he brings enough on D, especially as a complement to the 4 shooters they would be starting at 1-4 anyway for him to build his experience without such range.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#278 » by GuyClinch » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:07 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:Rob needs to hit some Js. You need some offensive ability in the NBA to play center. Dunks are nice - but when you can't get those some post moves like little fall aways and such will keep in the lineup. Best if he proves he can hit the three ball - this is a Danny Ainge/Brad Stevens team after all..

Is his O any more dunk-centric than Poirier's? But they have been working with Rob for a year on his range and wouldn't have had him shooting some midrange in SL if they hadn't been pretty sure he could make them. But I think he brings enough on D, especially as a complement to the 4 shooters they would be starting at 1-4 anyway for him to build his experience without such range.

Well from what little I have seen of Rob - yeah. Poirier is classic big guy. Throw it down to him close to the hoop and he will turn his shoulder and muscle up a shot. Its a short shot - but its not a dunk. Does Rob have this in his game? Maybe he does but I haven't seen him shoot it much..
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#279 » by JHTruth » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:56 am

Center by committee seems to be the plan. RW3 will definitely get his shot plus there's always injuries. It's not like he's playing behind Shaq and Tim Duncan.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#280 » by SichtingLives » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:27 pm

In an ideal world Kanter feasts on bench units, Rob is a 15 mpg starter who helps set a defensive tone, Poirier is 3rd string guy who can be called on when injuries hit and Theis returns to all-star form as a power forward :clown:

In reality I'm cool with 1 or 2 of those guys just stepping up enough to provide quality rotation minutes.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways

Return to Boston Celtics