Raptors-Spurs-Hornets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#1 » by Mykhyn » Sat Sep 7, 2019 5:46 pm

New try..

Raptors out: Gasol + 2020 2nd
Raptors in: Derozan

Spurs out: Derozan + Belinelli
Spurs in: Marc Gasol + Marvin Williams

Hornets out: Marvin Williams
Hornets in: Belinelli + Raps 2020 2nd

Raptors get Derozan back and try the East post Lebron with their team before the title and an upgraded Siakam

Spurs open minutes for the kids, get a perfect center, and a good Morris replacement.

Dejounte/White/Mills/Forbes/Weatherspoon
Forbes/White/Walker/Keldon/Weatherspoon
Caroll/Walker/Gay/Keldon
LMA/Gay/Carroll/Williams
Gasol/Poeltl/LMA/Metu

injury insurance at every position, minutes for the kids, offensive, defensive, big, and small players at every position to abuse any matchup. Gives Pop a real chance while Warriors are out. This keeps them about 1.8mil under the tax in case they need to grab a buyout.

Hornets save almost 10mil and get a 2nd

Who says no
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,083

Re: Raptors-Spurs-Hornets 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 5:53 pm

Value is fair. It's just a question of whether the Raptors are willing to bring DeRozan back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,527

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Sat Sep 7, 2019 6:06 pm

sure as long as Belinelli is cut immediately. Zero interest in seeing him back here.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,173

Post#4 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sat Sep 7, 2019 7:26 pm

I like this for everyone, Toronto gets a good second scorer who is loved in Toronto and the rest of Canada. Toronto needs to find a cheap backup C after maybe Noah or Gortat.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,527

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Sat Sep 7, 2019 8:47 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Value is fair. It's just a question of whether the Raptors are willing to bring DeRozan back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

I see no reason they don't want DD back. They loved him, but realized just how big of an upgrade Kawhi was. Now that Kawhi is gone, to trade back for him this cheap would be amazing
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
21 TD
Junior
And1: 131

Post#6 » by 21 TD » Sat Sep 7, 2019 9:11 pm

Aldridge is best mostly playing as the lone true big at this point and him and Gasol wouldn't be mobile enough together defensively to be tenable anyway.

If by "give Pop a chance to win", you mean contend for a championship, this wouldn't do it.

The Raptors don't want DeRozan back. They didn't just make the trade because it put them a Curry/Durant injury (and they were due) away from favorite status, but also because they wanted to dump his salary, so it gave them a reason they could justify doing so to casual fans.
Mykhyn
General Manager

Post#7 » by Mykhyn » Sat Sep 7, 2019 11:38 pm

21 TD wrote:Aldridge is best mostly playing as the lone true big at this point and him and Gasol wouldn't be mobile enough together defensively to be tenable anyway.

If by "give Pop a chance to win", you mean contend for a championship, this wouldn't do it.

The Raptors don't want DeRozan back. They didn't just make the trade because it put them a Curry/Durant injury (and they were due) away from favorite status, but also because they wanted to dump his salary, so it gave them a reason they could justify doing so to casual fans.

Aldridge has consistently refused to guard real centers. Gay has even been forced to guard centers because Aldridge won't. He doesn't work as the lone big because he refuses to be.

Gasol proved he can keep up with any big on the court last post season. Aldridge's role wouldn't change much if at all except he'd have more room to operate on offense compared to his minutes with Poeltl.

You seem to be at odds at what the Raptors want compared to Raptors fans.

This would definitively give the Spurs a chance at a title. Much more so than keeping Derozan. They would literally have the personal to match up with any line up in the league.
21 TD
Junior

Post#8 » by 21 TD » Sat Sep 7, 2019 11:58 pm

Cklbmk wrote:Aldridge has consistently refused to guard real centers. Gay has even been forced to guard centers because Aldridge won't. He doesn't work as the lone big because he refuses to be.

Gasol proved he can keep up with any big on the court last post season. Aldridge's role wouldn't change much if at all except he'd have more room to operate on offense compared to his minutes with Poeltl.

This would definitively give the Spurs a chance at a title. Much more so than keeping Derozan. They would literally have the personal to match up with any line up in the league.

He prefers not to, but he still does it. He's mostly worked as the lone big the past 2 seasons and had arguably the best seasons of his career at 32-33.

The issue is Aldridge would have to guard PF's full time (which are mostly big wings now) and he's no longer suited to do so.

Nah, I'm speaking to what the Raptors organization wants. Ujiri was trying to pawn off DeRozan for a few years (even supposedly offered him for Wiggins in the '17 off season).

The Spurs don't even have a path to contention again until they luck into a superstar, just like every other team.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun Sep 8, 2019 2:29 am

21 TD wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:Aldridge has consistently refused to guard real centers. Gay has even been forced to guard centers because Aldridge won't. He doesn't work as the lone big because he refuses to be.

He prefers not to, but he still does it. He's mostly worked as the lone big the past 2 seasons and had arguably the best seasons of his career at 32-33.

The issue is Aldridge would have to guard PF's full time (which are mostly big wings now) and he's no longer suited to do so.

Nah, I'm speaking to what the Raptors organization wants. Ujiri was trying to pawn off DeRozan for a few years (even supposedly offered him for Wiggins in the '17 off season).

The Spurs don't even have a path to contention again until they luck into a superstar, just like every other team.
Do you have legit links to any of this Masai talk? I don't think he ever offered DeRozan for Wiggins especially since DeRozan is better than Wiggins at the time and even now
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#10 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Sep 8, 2019 2:36 am

Who says no?

Raptors might say no - but it's got serious potential for them for the reasons given in the OP and other posts.

Hornets might say no - it's not anything special for them. But they just might say yes.

Spurs might say no - but the deal makes even more sense for them than it does for Toronto or Charlotte.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#11 » by jimmy keys » Sun Sep 8, 2019 6:47 am

Cklbmk wrote:New try..

Raptors get Derozan back and try the East post Lebron with their team before the title and an upgraded Siakam

Spurs open minutes for the kids, get a perfect center, and a good Morris replacement.

Caroll/Walker/Gay/Keldon
LMA/Gay/Carroll/Williams
Gasol/Poeltl/LMA/Metu

injury insurance at every position, minutes for the kids, offensive, defensive, big, and small players at every position to abuse any matchup. Gives Pop a real chance while Warriors are out. This keeps them about 1.8mil under the tax in case they need to grab a buyout.

Who says no

Like your other post the main issue is trading Gasol. The 76ers are the team to beat in the East and that isn't happening without Gasol, he's essential.

Raptors could reacquire DeRozan and have a 1 or 2 year window with Gasol and Lowry before potentially moving in another direction.

Option 1 - Trade Ibaka +

Option 2 - Trade VanVleet + Powell + McCaw

Option 3 - Involve a third team

If it's not one of those 3 options then I'd pass.

Lowry
DeRozan
OG
Siakam
Gasol
Ibaka
Johnson
RHJ

That lineup matches up pretty well against Philly.
Mykhyn
General Manager

Post#12 » by Mykhyn » Sun Sep 8, 2019 7:57 am

jimmy keys wrote:

Caroll/Walker/Gay/Keldon
LMA/Gay/Carroll/Williams
Gasol/Poeltl/LMA/Metu

Who says no

Like your other post the main issue is trading Gasol. The 76ers are the team to beat in the East and that isn't happening without Gasol, he's essential.

Raptors could reacquire DeRozan and have a 1 or 2 year window with Gasol and Lowry before potentially moving in another direction.

Option 1 - Trade Ibaka +

Lowry
DeRozan
OG
Siakam
Gasol
Ibaka
Johnson
RHJ

You gotta give to get. None of your options are giving anything.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#13 » by jimmy keys » Sun Sep 8, 2019 4:38 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:

Caroll/Walker/Gay/Keldon
LMA/Gay/Carroll/Williams
Gasol/Poeltl/LMA/Metu

Who says no

Option 1 - Trade Ibaka +

Lowry
DeRozan
OG
Siakam
Gasol
Ibaka
Johnson
RHJ

You gotta give to get. None of your options are giving anything.

So if you believe Ibaka & FVV have no value than that's fine, but there was more to that Kawhi trade than just acquiring a superior talent, it was also a salary dump.

I'd take DeRozan back, but not at the price of Gasol. If we trade Gasol it should be for a young player/pick. It doesn't make sense for them. It doesn't upgrade their roster in at all.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#14 » by pacers33granger » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:31 pm

Derozan going back to Toronto would be interesting. But does Toronto want to again hand him a big deal they know they will regret instantly? Derozan's a fine player, a good guy, and loved by the fans there but seems this would just set them back up as a treadmill team unless they let him walk.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#15 » by mademan » Sun Sep 8, 2019 6:38 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:I like this for everyone, Toronto gets a good second scorer who is loved in Toronto and the rest of Canada. Toronto needs to find a cheap backup C after maybe Noah or Gortat.

Problem with getting Derozan is pretty simple; we dont want to pay him next summer. If we got him, we'd still be a mid-tier playoff team that needs to send an all-star, and DD has the name power to get that spot ahead of Siakam and Lowry, so he'll be expecting the max. Paying him the max for another half decade only sets us back
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#16 » by CoachD » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:24 pm

Zero desire to trade a 2 way center that was key to a title for Demar and his mid range chucks
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#17 » by Chinook » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:34 pm

None of the trades in this thread make any sense. There's no reason why the Spurs should be getting rid of DeRozan, especially for a center. If the idea is to rebuild, then trading him back "home" for Ibaka and (real) incentive makes sense in the LMA-to-Portland vein. But I put no value in trading him for Gasol.
21 TD
Junior

Post#18 » by 21 TD » Sun Sep 8, 2019 10:56 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:Do you have legit links to any of this Masai talk? I don't think he ever offered DeRozan for Wiggins especially since DeRozan is better than Wiggins at the time and even now

Nah. I don't even remember who said it, but I remember it was someone credible, which is why it stuck with me.

CoachD wrote:Zero desire to trade a 2 way center that was key to a title for Demar and his mid range chucks

It's funny how Raptors fans have all of a sudden seen the light on DeRozan after claiming for years that he didn't receive enough respect because he played in Toronto (despite having a bunch of accolades that he had no business receiving).
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:25 am

Man I can't believe all this hate for DeRozan, he was a reason why Toronto was even on USA television games before Kawhi. I still think he has enough to help us let's face it outside Philly and Milwaukee whose the next clear cut team that you can say book them to the semis in the east or eastern finals? Boston maybe depending on how Brown and Tatum do. I think Toronto post deal is right there if not a bit ahead of them.

Gasol is a savvy veteran who will be missed but let's not say he's going to fetch prospect's and picks plus whatever else. I think at this point your lucky if you get a late first and decent player back albeit a bit overpaid.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#20 » by mademan » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:51 am

Thats this year. You really want to pay Demar the max? You really think he'll settle for less in Toronto?

Return to Trades and Transactions