ImageImageImageImageImage

Tracking Former Wizards 3.0

Moderators: montestewart, nate33, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 3,835

Re: Tracking Former Wizards 3.0 

Post#1581 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:31 am

Kanyewest wrote:Since it is the offeseason- just more to add for the Green/Dekker.

Green got twice as many blocks per 100 possessions.

Well... since you insist! :)

Per 40 minutes, Jeff got .75 blocks vs. .4 for Dekker, correct. That has a positive effect.

Then again, per 40 minutes, Sam Dekker got 1.75 steals vs. Green's .87 -- tell me which of those stat differences matters more? The .35 extra blocks? Or the .88 extra steals?

Oh, & per 40 minutes, Sam had 1.25 turnovers vs. Green's 1.92. Again, would you say that's more or less important than the difference in blocks?

Kanyewest wrote:... (Green) had 15% more assists.

Nah. Not compared to Dekker's minutes for us. Jeff had a big .17 more assists per 40 minutes. Trivial difference.

Kanyewest wrote:The big one. Green had a 61 TS% compared to Dekker's 51.4% TS%.

Suppose you were to count those extra turnovers against Jeff's TS%. Like missed shots, say. Brings his TS% down to .588 -- still very good.

Oh, & suppose you were to count the extra 2 offensive boards Sam got in those same minutes as removing 2 missed shot attempts? Gee, that puts Sam's TS% at .580.

Funny how small that "big one" is in reality, huh? Then there are the extra fouls Jeff committed.

Overall, by any sensible measure, Sam played better than Jeff.

Then again, probably the best way to look at it as follows: last season, Sam & Jeff combined for over 2700 minutes. We won 32 games. This year they're both gone. It's hard to imagine that's going to hurt us.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 640

Post#1582 » by LyricalRico » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:30 pm

From WireTap:

Joakim Noah, Dwight Howard and Marreese Speights will work out for the Lakers.

The Lakers could also consider Marcin Gortat.

Wow, didn't realize Gortat was still out there. Assuming he still wants to play, I would have expected him to be on a roster by now.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 2,566

Post#1583 » by closg00 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:15 am

Hilarious, Dwight is on probation and has been warned if he pulls some shyt, he's gone.
Tank 19/20, trade Brad, Top-5 pick in 2020.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,107

Post#1584 » by verbal8 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:59 pm

LyricalRico wrote:From WireTap:

Wow, didn't realize Gortat was still out there. Assuming he still wants to play, I would have expected him to be on a roster by now.

The traditional centers are really being de-emphasized in today's NBA. A few years ago, I think Bol Bol would have been a lottery pick and Tacko Fall at least a second rounder.

It will be interesting to see if this a cycle or a permanent shift in the talent pool.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 640

Post#1585 » by LyricalRico » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:32 pm

verbal8 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:From WireTap:

The traditional centers are really being de-emphasized in today's NBA. A few years ago, I think Bol Bol would have been a lottery pick and Tacko Fall at least a second rounder.

It will be interesting to see if this a cycle or a permanent shift in the talent pool.

De-emphasized, yes - but not extinct. See creaky-back Howard going to the Lakers, and now Kerr saying he's open to Bogut coming back to the Warriors. I'd guess Gortat has more in the tank than either of them. And maybe he wants to go back to Europe or just retire, I don't know. Just seemed odd to me that his name hasn't come up more often this offseason.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 8,487

Post#1586 » by nate33 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 1:33 pm

Midway through the 3rd quarter in the USA vs Czeck Republic, and Satoransky leads all players in points and assists.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1587 » by nate33 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 1:59 pm

Damn! Sato looks better than ever! It's really interesting to watch him in a setting where he knows he has to aggressively score. Looks like he's going to finish with 17 points and 5 assists in 28 minutes on a TS% of 61%. Also, he'd have a bunch more assists if his teammates didn't blow the finish.

I'm really upset that we let him go.
trast66
Senior
And1: 378

Post#1588 » by trast66 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 3:02 pm

nate33 wrote:Damn! Sato looks better than ever! It's really interesting to watch him in a setting where he knows he has to aggressively score. Looks like he's going to finish with 17 points and 5 assists in 28 minutes on a TS% of 61%. Also, he'd have a bunch more assists if his teammates didn't blow the finish.

I'm really upset that we let him go.

All these changes and yet Scott Brooks still here. Sato may have made it clear he was moving on to go somewhere the team would play him. Brooks has a type at PG and it’s not Sato. That was a reasonable contract he signed, so I don’t think it was over money.
closg00
RealGM

Post#1589 » by closg00 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 6:14 pm

nate33 wrote:Midway through the 3rd quarter in the USA vs Czeck Republic, and Satoransky leads all players in points and assists.

:o
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1590 » by verbal8 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 3:59 pm

A couple of the former Bullets were Hall of Fame finalists - Chris Webber and Ben Wallace. Neither were inducted this year.

Sidney Moncreif, Carl Braun, Jack Sikma, Paul Westphal and Bobby Jones were the NBA player inductees.

Divac and Chuck Taylor were inducted, but I don't think their NBA stats were the main consideration.

What I did find interesting is that basketball-reference sees Wallace as much more likely to be inducted than Webber.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1591 » by nate33 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:10 pm

verbal8 wrote:A couple of the former Bullets were Hall of Fame finalists - Chris Webber and Ben Wallace. Neither were inducted this year.

Sidney Moncreif, Carl Braun, Jack Sikma, Paul Westphal and Bobby Jones were the NBA player inductees.

Divac and Chuck Taylor were inducted, but I don't think their NBA stats were the main consideration.

What I did find interesting is that basketball-reference sees Wallace as much more likely to be inducted than Webber.

I concur with bball reference.

Webber always seemed overrated to me. His stats didn't translate into playoff wins and he wasn't so great at the things that didn't show up in the box score. He was "talented" without necessarily being "great". His team only got past the 2nd round of the playoffs once.

Wallace is the opposite. He was arguably the best player on a championship team (and a team that made the ECF's 4 years in a row). He didn't score, but his rebounding and defense were monstrous. He may be the best pick-and-roll defender of all time and is a top 5 overall defensive player of all time.

When you look at their respective career achievements, Wallace has Webber beat. Each guy was a 5-time All-NBA player, and hung around the 5-10 range in MVP voting for a few years. The big difference is that Wallace was also a 5-time All Defensive 1st teamer, and a 4 time DPOY. And of course, Wallace has a ring.
Illmatic12
General Manager
And1: 7,983

Post#1592 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:14 pm

Speaking of former Wizards.. :lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 3,835

Post#1593 » by payitforward » Sun Sep 8, 2019 6:51 pm

nate33 wrote:
verbal8 wrote:A couple of the former Bullets were Hall of Fame finalists - Chris Webber and Ben Wallace. Neither were inducted this year.

Webber always seemed overrated to me. His stats didn't translate into playoff wins and he wan't so great at the things that didn't show up in the box score. He was "talented" without necessarily being "great". His team only got past the 2nd round of the playoffs once.

Wallace is the opposite. He was arguably the best player on a championship team (and a team that made the ECF's 4 years in a row). He didn't score, but his rebounding and defense were monstrous. He may be the best pick-and-roll defender of all time and is a top 5 overall defensive player of all time.

When you look at their respective career achievements, Wallace has Webber beat. Each guy was a 5-time All-NBA player, and hung around the 5-10 range in MVP voting for a few years. The big difference is that Wallace was also a 5-time All Defensive 1st teamer, and a 4 time DPOY. And of course, Wallace has a ring.

Agree 100%. Chris Webber was a terrific NBA player, but he was certainly not the force Ben Wallace was.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
BearlyBallin
Senior
And1: 173

Post#1594 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Sep 8, 2019 6:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
doclinkin
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#1595 » by doclinkin » Sun Sep 8, 2019 7:32 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Is that a Sean Taylor jersey he's wearing?
closg00
RealGM

Post#1596 » by closg00 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:26 pm

Can't see sh*t ^, but i'm blaming the infamous Eagles fan(s), there rep as the worst is well-earned.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1597 » by verbal8 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:59 am

I didn't necessarily think it was wrong, I just thought of it as interesting.

I think Chris Webber is being considered as much for his role in the Fab Five in the NCAA as he is for his NBA achievements. Although the scandal associated with that, may end up keeping him out of the Hall of Fame, since his NBA career isn't sufficient.

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Webber always seemed overrated to me. His stats didn't translate into playoff wins and he wan't so great at the things that didn't show up in the box score. He was "talented" without necessarily being "great". His team only got past the 2nd round of the playoffs once.

Agree 100%. Chris Webber was a terrific NBA player, but he was certainly not the force Ben Wallace was.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 1,275

Post#1598 » by Kanyewest » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:58 pm

nate33 wrote:

Webber always seemed overrated to me. His stats didn't translate into playoff wins and he wasn't so great at the things that didn't show up in the box score. He was "talented" without necessarily being "great". His team only got past the 2nd round of the playoffs once.

Getting to the Conference Finals in the West is like getting to the NBA Finals. Plus that series was rigged for anyone who watched and Webber and Bibby should be NBA champions. They were also on their way to beating the Mavs in 2003 in the 2nd round before Webber suffered his career altering injury.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1599 » by nate33 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:07 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Getting to the Conference Finals in the West is like getting to the NBA Finals. Plus that series was rigged for anyone who watched and Webber and Bibby should be NBA champions. They were also on their way to beating the Mavs in 2003 in the 2nd round before Webber suffered his career altering injury.

The East/West disparity wasn't quite so large back then. During Webber's 6-year run with Sacramento, the West's winning percentage versus East teams was 51.8%. To be fair, in the 2001-2002 season when Sacramento made the WFC's, the West was indeed unusually strong, with a 54.3% winning percentage over the East.

Webber getting hurt isn't a caveat. Staying healthy is a skill. Webber often had injury issues. It's another reason I rank Wallace above him. In Wallace's 6 year run with Detroit, he missed a grand total of 22 games.
BearlyBallin
Senior
And1: 173

Post#1600 » by BearlyBallin » Mon Sep 9, 2019 8:01 pm

doclinkin wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Is that a Sean Taylor jersey he's wearing?

Yes it is, here’s a better picture.
Before the fight, on his way to the game.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC

Return to Washington Wizards