ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1061 » by buckboy » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:09 am

Congrats to Nadal even though I can't **** stand him.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,789

Post#1062 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:09 am

If Medvedev had broken to get to 5 all there I would've had to take a walk. Congrats to Rafa!
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,543

Post#1063 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:09 am

Holy ****
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1064 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:10 am

Dude Medevedev is legit. Dude's gonna be a winner.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#1065 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:11 am

buckboy wrote:Congrats to Nadal even though I can't **** stand him.

I'm pretty neutral towards Nadal overall but I was rooting for Medvedev to complete the comeback. Would've been an absolutely immense achievement.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,372

Post#1066 » by blazza18 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:18 am

Nadal was great but men's tennis needed Medvedev to snatch that one.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,850

Post#1067 » by BUCKnation » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:18 am

That was dope
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1068 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:28 am

blazza18 wrote:Nadal was great but men's tennis needed Medvedev to snatch that one.

I don't disagree. Someone has to break up the party of three sooner or later, and sooner would be better.

That said, I'm pretty confident after this summer that it will be Medvedev, and it won't take too long. Like next year.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#1069 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:40 am

After the US Open is always depressing. No meaningful tennis until January. :(
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1070 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:17 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:After the US Open is always depressing. No meaningful tennis until January. :(

Agreed. I kind of feel the same way after AO, too.

If you don't, you should watch Shanghai on Tennis Channel. It's not as exciting as a major, but aside from Indian Wells it's IMO the most entertaining Masters event. Everyone plays.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#1071 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:22 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:After the US Open is always depressing. No meaningful tennis until January. :(

Agreed. I kind of feel the same way after AO, too.

If you don't, you should watch Shanghai on Tennis Channel. It's not as exciting as a major, but aside from Indian Wells it's IMO the most entertaining Masters event. Everyone plays.

I tune into the Masters 1000 events pretty frequently, and the Laver Cup has actually been super entertaining since they started doing that. But nobody empties the tank for those events like they do in the Grand Slams. Just not quite the same.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,114

Post#1072 » by KidA24 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:46 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
KidA24 wrote:[ 3 weeks I'll be in southern Utah exploring Bryce and Zion national parks.

You must be going any day now. I LOVED Zion when I went at the end of March.

A few notes about Angel's Landing: if you have ANY issues with heights DO NOT GO. If you can't climb 1500 ft before doing a dangerous hike DON'T GO.

If you aren't dissuaded yet do it. It's like no hike I've ever been on. Still, 1) Go early. It gets crazy congested if you don't go right away in the morning. There is barely room for 1 lane of traffic in spots. Having people backed up to pass gets dangerous. 2) Do the hike with shoes with great grip. Angel's Landing is on sandstone and it is slippery, especially with the morning dew. I watched a 10-12 year old slide all the way to the edge; People die on this trail. But it's worth it.

The Narrows is also highly recommended. You effectively walk through the river and there are truly majestic views within the caverns. You need a wetsuit to do this and will need to go to outfitters. There are some in town and one right outside the park (that's a little more expensive). If there is too much water flowing through the river you are not allowed to make the trek.

Whatever you decide to do have a blast and tell us all about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

Thanks for the advice! I leave on Wednesday. I've done a ton of hiking & backpacking in my days so I'm okay with heights and narrow trails. Super excited for Angel's Landing and the Narrows as well. We've also got permits to do Antelope Canyon, so that will be one of our days.

I think I'm most excited for this hike: https://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/fullmoonhikes.htm If we can get lucky and win the lottery
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,918

Post#1073 » by midranger » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:05 pm

Antelope Canyon is really cool. You see the picture online, but when you're there, there are a **** ton of people. You can still get some awesome shots though if your guide is good. If you're in Page, go check out Horseshoe Bend. It's like 10 minutes away from Antelope Canyon and really impressive. People die there too, just by being idiots.

I'm heading to Joshua Tree in a month. Any suggestions from anybody?
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,313

Post#1074 » by crkone » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:50 pm

My daughter's VB team had a hilariously power hungry ref yesterday. There are 8 games at a time playing for like 8 hours at a facility near MKE and are pretty laid back. This year, Badger Region took over so some of the rules are different. They are allowed to use shorter serve line for the some of the girls and the ref didn't know that but he adamantly told everyone he was right. One of the coaches told him to look at the rules book at the scoring table and the ref said he should reprimand the coach for coming out of his box. Now keep in mind, these are 6th grade girls who are just learning to play VB and for some of them this is their first game ever. So of course the ref was wrong but he got his revenge on that coach by calling a ball that was out, in. Now I'm not talking about a just-over-the-line call. This was like 1 foot over the line call. Parents man the lines and the scoring table and the parent (on the winning team) who flagged the ball out was flabbergasted. Parents from both teams were dumbfounded and pointed at the parent at the line while the ref was whistling at the parents saying "I'm in charge here". It was like 8-5 in the 3rd set (they play until 15 in the 3rd set) and completely killed the confidence of the team that eventually lost. I don't think I've ever seen a ref act the way he was acting.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,358

Post#1075 » by emunney » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:55 pm

crkone wrote:My daughter's VB team had a hilariously power hungry ref yesterday. There are 8 games at a time playing for like 8 hours at a facility near MKE and are pretty laid back. This year, Badger Region took over so some of the rules are different. They are allowed to use shorter serve line for the some of the girls and the ref didn't know that but he adamantly told everyone he was right. One of the coaches told him to look at the rules book at the scoring table and the ref said he should reprimand the coach for coming out of his box. Now keep in mind, these are 6th grade girls who are just learning to play VB and for some of them this is their first game ever. So of course the ref was wrong but he got his revenge on that coach by calling a ball that was out, in. Now I'm not talking about a just-over-the-line call. This was like 1 foot over the line call. Parents man the lines and the scoring table and the parent (on the winning team) who flagged the ball out was flabbergasted. Parents from both teams were dumbfounded and pointed at the parent at the line while the ref was whistling at the parents saying "I'm in charge here". It was like 8-5 in the 3rd set (they play until 15 in the 3rd set) and completely killed the confidence of the team that eventually lost. I don't think I've ever seen a ref act the way he was acting.

Adults having public meltdowns is definitely my guiltiest pleasure. To the extent that I definitely deserve to have one at some point. Usually it's on the train: some guy who has decided the best way to take control of his life is to die on My Backpack is Not Too Big Hill instead of just being like, yeah, sorry, my backpack is pretty big. Half the train care shouting at him, "Your backpack big af, bro!"
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,033

Post#1076 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:52 pm

KidA24 wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:
KidA24 wrote:[ 3 weeks I'll be in southern Utah exploring Bryce and Zion national parks.

A few notes about Angel's Landing: if you have ANY issues with heights DO NOT GO. If you can't climb 1500 ft before doing a dangerous hike DON'T GO.

If you aren't dissuaded yet do it. It's like no hike I've ever been on. Still, 1) Go early. It gets crazy congested if you don't go right away in the morning. There is barely room for 1 lane of traffic in spots. Having people backed up to pass gets dangerous. 2) Do the hike with shoes with great grip. Angel's Landing is on sandstone and it is slippery, especially with the morning dew. I watched a 10-12 year old slide all the way to the edge; People die on this trail. But it's worth it.

The Narrows is also highly recommended. You effectively walk through the river and there are truly majestic views within the caverns. You need a wetsuit to do this and will need to go to outfitters. There are some in town and one right outside the park (that's a little more expensive). If there is too much water flowing through the river you are not allowed to make the trek.

Thanks for the advice! I leave on Wednesday. I've done a ton of hiking & backpacking in my days so I'm okay with heights and narrow trails. Super excited for Angel's Landing and the Narrows as well. We've also got permits to do Antelope Canyon, so that will be one of our days.

I think I'm most excited for this hike: https://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/fullmoonhikes.htm If we can get lucky and win the lottery
Sounds perfect. The river was too high when I went to do the Narrows. I will have to get back. Still giddy about Angels Landing months later though.

Antelope is strictly for photographers. I can't believe how expensive it is and by the time I got over it (literally more than 2x the cost of an annual pass for ALL national parks to take a 3 person family through) it was full. I hope you get some good shots. The whole trail is like 1/3 of a mile but chances are you have marvelled at a photo of it.

Sounds like you scoped this out quite well. I'm anxious to hear about it when you get back.

Just an FYI to those following along, there are no cars allowed in Zion and limited hotel offerings nearby. The Zion lodge is IN the park and it basically gives you the park to yourself including earlier and later access than the rest of the public. Of course, it also books up 1-1.5 years in advance.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,286

Post#1077 » by jute2003 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:17 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:

Sounds perfect. The river was too high when I went to do the Narrows. I will have to get back. Still giddy about Angels Landing months later though.

Antelope is strictly for photographers. I can't believe how expensive it is and by the time I got over it (literally more than 2x the cost of an annual pass for ALL national parks to take a 3 person family through) it was full. I hope you get some good shots. The whole trail is like 1/3 of a mile but chances are you have marvelled at a photo of it.

Sounds like you scoped this out quite well. I'm anxious to hear about it when you get back.

Just an FYI to those following along, there are no cars allowed in Zion and limited hotel offerings nearby. The Zion lodge is IN the park and it basically gives you the park to yourself including earlier and later access than the rest of the public. Of course, it also books up 1-1.5 years in advance.
Just quoting to say Angel's landing is freakin awesome...at least it was 14 years ago.
only a fan, only an opinion
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,313

Post#1078 » by crkone » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:14 pm

Looks like Tinypic shut down and a lot of you need to go to imgur.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,930

Post#1079 » by Perishable517 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:00 pm

The sad highlight of the month, so far...

So, I have to run down to the mail room to pick up a jar of pickles for a co-worker who will not be in the building this week. He asks, I’m waiting for a crap ton of reports to run, so, sure, I’ll make the run.

I get off the elevator and make my way to the mail room. As I’m walking it sounds like someone is either having sex or jilling themselves off. I mean it REALLY sounds like it. It may, or may not, given me chub.

I get to the mail room and grab the jar of pickles and a large, laminated, wall map (asked if I could have it so the mail guy gave it to me). I get back to the elevator and there is a froggy looking woman waiting for the elevator, too.

She says, “That’s a big tube of paper you have”.

I go “it’s a map”

Her “Oh that’s cool”.

The elevator opens and we both get on. I ask her to press 3 for me as she pressed 1 for herself. She *slaps* the buttons a couple of times and finally hits 3.

She says “Are those Dill Pickles?”

I say, “I have no clue, they are not mine”

She follows up with “My friend loves pickles”

I bet they do.
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,869

Post#1080 » by humanrefutation » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:07 pm

Perishable517 wrote:The sad highlight of the month, so far...

So, I have to run down to the mail room to pick up a jar of pickles for a co-worker who will not be in the building this week. He asks, I’m waiting for a crap ton of reports to run, so, sure, I’ll make the run.

I get off the elevator and make my way to the mail room. As I’m walking it sounds like someone is either having sex or jilling themselves off. I mean it REALLY sounds like it. It may, or may not, given me chub.

I get to the mail room and grab the jar of pickles and a large, laminated, wall map (asked if I could have it so the mail guy gave it to me). I get back to the elevator and there is a froggy looking woman waiting for the elevator, too.

She says, “That’s a big tube of paper you have”.

I go “it’s a map”

Her “Oh that’s cool”.

The elevator opens and we both get on. I ask her to press 3 for me as she pressed 1 for herself. She *slaps* the buttons a couple of times and finally hits 3.

She says “Are those Dill Pickles?”

I say, “I have no clue, they are not mine”

She follows up with “My friend loves pickles”

I bet they do.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks