ImageImageImage

Julio Jones receiving another contract extension?

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,005

Julio Jones receiving another contract extension? 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:38 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Re: Julio Jones receiving another contract extension? 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:11 pm

The Most Underpaid Veteran on Every NFC Team

We know that plenty of rookies are outperforming their contracts. But what about the veterans?

Atlanta Falcons: Julio Jones, Receiver

Contract: Five years for $71.3 million (signed 2015)
The fine print: Two years guaranteed followed by team options in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020
Total guaranteed at signing: $35.5 million (fourth among receivers)
Average annual value: $14.3 million (12th among receivers)
2019 salary and bonuses: $9.6 million (26th among receivers)

Jones has a strong case as the best receiver in football. He has led the league in receiving yards per game in three of the last four seasons and led the league in Pro Football Focus’s yards per route run in each of the last four years. But Jones is not paid on par with some players who have barely scratched his production, like Sammy Watkins and Jarvis Landry. Jones is confident the Falcons will give him a new contract before training camp begins, so it seems Atlanta agrees he is underpaid.
The Ringer
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Julio Jones taking Falcons 'word' that new contract will be done, not planning to hold out again

The Falcons receiver isn't going to hold out, assuming the Falcons give him more money

Jones, arguably the best wide receiver in football, was promised by owner Arthur Blank he would get a new contract commiserate with his skillset this offseason. And believes that promise he was given is "golden" which is why, according to an airport interview he gave to TMZ, he is not planning on holding out this offseason.

"I'm doing my part at the end of the day. Just training every day, getting ready every day," Jones said. "My agent, the Falcons, Mr. Blank. I've said it before -- Mr. Blank gave us his word. It's golden. [His word was that] it's going to get done. No stress on my end. I'm not going to think about it. It's easy for me to just go out and work every day. Not going to have one of those situations where there's a holdout."

The fact of the matter is that, even at the age of 30, Jones is one of the best receivers in football. Do you realize what he's AVERAGED over the last five years? There's no questioning his production though. Which is why he's going to get paid and break the bank. The question is WHEN will he get paid. Presumably the Falcons are aware that not paying him would create issues.

Jones last signed a contract in the 2015 offseason, a five-year, $71 million deal that got him a lot of cash upfront. That deal runs through the 2020 season; now is a pretty good time to extend Jones if the Falcons believe he can keep up his production over the next five years.

Read on Twitter
CBS Sports
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:12 pm

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said he is "very, very close" to a deal with Julio Jones.

Blank continued, "I’d be surprised and disappointed if we didn’t get it done this week." Jones is set to be the highest-paid receiver in the NFL after five straight seasons with at least 1,400 receiving yards. As long as he stays healthy, Jones will have a shot at making that six seasons in a row. Jones is locked in as a WR1 whether he has a new contract or not.

Source: Jeff Schultz on Twitter

Sep 3, 2019, 6:14 PM ET

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Thu Sep 5, 2019 11:54 pm

Julio Jones presser today showed him hard at work. He doesn't take calls while at work so he's unsure if his agent has worked a new deal yet.

He will play week one but does feel sore. He will do what it takes to be ready to play.

#TeamJones

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:30 pm

Julio Jones Agrees to 3-Year, $66M Falcons Contract, Becomes Top-Paid WR

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813835-report-julio-jones-agrees-to-3-year-66m-falcons-contract-becomes-top-paid-wr

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:06 pm

How Julio Jones Became the Anti–Antonio Brown and Possibly Changed NFL Contracts Forever

On the same day Brown signed with the Patriots after being cut by the Raiders, Jones became the richest wideout in league history. But the money’s not even the most important part of his deal.

Julio Jones and Antonio Brown have always been opposites. The only thing they outwardly have in common is their production: They are 1-2 in both catches and receiving yards since Jones entered the league in 2011, but Jones has never separated on a route as much as he separated himself from Brown this weekend. While the Brown saga soured after a tumultuous week that led to him being cut by the Raiders and signed by the Patriots in a five-hour span on Saturday, Jones completed one of the most successful contract negotiations ever—and he did it without most people realizing it was going on.

Jones signed a three-year contract extension for $66 million with $64 million guaranteed, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. This deal has no precedent in NFL history. The extension makes him the highest-paid receiver in football at $22 million annually on average, making him the first wideout to earn more than $20 million per year.
Spoiler:
Two years ago, Odell Beckham Jr. said to much derision that he wanted quarterback money. This is the closest any wide receiver has gotten. The gap between Jones’s average annual salary and the second-highest-paid receiver, New Orleans’s Michael Thomas, is nearly $3 million. That is almost equal to the gap between Thomas and the ninth-highest-paid receiver ($3.25 million).

Jones is sitting atop all of them in his own category, but that’s not the remarkable part of Saturday’s news. What is stunning is that $64 million is guaranteed at signing. The usual tradeoff with these deals is the player gets to make headlines for being the highest-paid player at their position in NFL history (and all of the clout that comes with that title) while the team guarantees about 60 percent of the total money and can decide whether or not they want to pay the rest. Jones got to be the highest-paid receiver in the league and did it by putting a serious gap between him and no. 2 and got essentially the entire thing guaranteed. He has shattered the record for the percentage of a deal for a non-QB guaranteed by an NFL team, and he did it at 30 years old, when many teams would be arguing his best days are behind him.
The Ringer
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:08 pm

Before Saturday, the precedent for the highest-paid player at his position having a fully guaranteed deal did not exist. Other receivers’ agents can now point to Jones’s deal negotiated by CAA’s Jimmy Sexton—and be assured they absolutely will. Top football players can now sign guaranteed deals like NBA players, and they can thank Julio Jones.

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Falcons