ImageImageImageImageImage

OT IT Chapter 2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,342

Re: OT IT Chapter 2 

Post#21 » by kane » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 pm

the original part 2 of the TV movie was really REALLY bad doesn't hold up at all try and watch it today totally cringeworthy this wont have to try to hard to be better
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#22 » by RHODEY » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
i haven't watched the original since the 90s. i think a lot of that stuff has aged poorly due to technology alone.

i was trying to convince my wife to watch "the matrix" and "independence day." and i realized after catching a bit of both on cable that they are nowhere near as impressive. you kind of had to be there.

I could see that for certain scenes, especially in the sci fi genre. Horror , it can depend. TV IT relied on special effects, so yeah. Otherflicks like "the Shining" age very well IMO

that's it. horror ages well when it doesn't rely too much on dated A/V techniques. the more psychological, the better.

faust and nosferatu are still the scariest movies i done seen.
Haven't scene either of those....
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,679

Post#23 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 pm

RHODEY wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
I could see that for certain scenes, especially in the sci fi genre. Horror , it can depend. TV IT relied on special effects, so yeah. Otherflicks like "the Shining" age very well IMO

that's it. horror ages well when it doesn't rely too much on dated A/V techniques. the more psychological, the better.

1920s german. scary af. faust is the scariest thing i've seen.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,434

Post#24 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:14 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:1920s german. scary af. faust is the scariest thing i've seen.

Going for the heavy classics, I've never seen the 1920 Faust but Nosferatu is the GOAT vampire movie to this day imo. I love some of the 60's-70's stuff. The original Night of the Living Dead and Suspiria are two movies that still get me and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my all time favorite horror and scariest in my book (something about daylight horror films has always had an impact for me).

The psychological aspects of horror making them permanent fixtures is absolutely on point. I love modern horror that you have to revisit and that makes you reflect on something you might deal with yourself. Hereditary hit me for the concepts of inherited illness (especially mental illness); isolation aspects in The Blackcoat's Daughter and It Comes at Night; or grief and our darker feelings in Babadook; outsider feelings in Get Out...that stuff really hits me these days. I still do love some of the more campy stuff, but it's pure entertainment and absurdity for that stuff. The real gold is in the psychological aspects.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,679

Post#25 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:49 pm

j4remi wrote:Nosferatu is the GOAT vampire movie to this day imo.

and i agree with 100% of everything else you had to say.

even a nightmare on elm street is a classic because what's scarier than not being able to fall asleep because you might get murdered? do you know how many freddy dreams i had?! noooooo reason to be watching that in 1st grade. lingering scars. (i did learn to face fears head on. :lol:)

edit: nosferatu and faust were made by the same filmmaker. if you liked nosferatu, i'm confident you'll like faust as well. on a late night... alone... with the lights down...
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#26 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:Image

even a nightmare on elm street is a classic because what's scarier than not being able to fall asleep because you might get murdered? do you know how many freddy dreams i had?! noooooo reason to be watching that in 1st grade. lingering scars. (i did learn to face fears head on. :lol:)

edit: nosferatu and faust were made by the same filmmaker. if you liked nosferatu, i'm confident you'll like faust as well. on a late night... alone... with the lights down...

I've gotta update my firestick and find Faust, definitely gonna peep that (shout out to the original cabinet of doctor caligari too). Ironically, Freddie Dream Warriors was my jam as a youngster. I was confident I could do better than the wizard wannabe :lol: but hell yes, death by falling asleep is such a money concept. It never registered with me at a younger age but the older I got the scarier those first two Nightmare on Elm Street's got (and I'm a HUGE fan of New Nightmare). Those classics scared me when I was young and then took on whole new meanings when I got old enough to appreciate some of the other aspects (is the kid the killer in Child's Play or the twist in the first Friday the 13th). Man, I love horror :nod:
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

RHODEY
RealGM

Post#27 » by RHODEY » Sat Sep 7, 2019 12:04 am

waya wrote:My most anticipated movie of the year, but I'm biased as it's one of my favorite books and I loved the first movie

Showtime...
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#28 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Sep 7, 2019 12:32 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

1920s german. scary af. faust is the scariest thing i've seen.

I had a Super 8 film reel of the original Nosferatu I would project on to the living room wall. True story

The 1979 version by Werner Herzog is amazing. Does the source movie justice. Klaus Kinski was born to play that role. Dude didn't really need make-up to look like him anyway

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079641/

with Isabelle Adjani and Bruno Ganz!

ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#29 » by ITGM » Sat Sep 7, 2019 5:50 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
j4remi wrote:Nosferatu is the GOAT vampire movie to this day imo.

Don't sleep on...

BLACULA
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#30 » by br7knicks » Sat Sep 7, 2019 12:57 pm

j4remi wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:1920s german. scary af. faust is the scariest thing i've seen.

Going for the heavy classics, I've never seen the 1920 Faust but Nosferatu is the GOAT vampire movie to this day imo. I love some of the 60's-70's stuff. The original Night of the Living Dead and Suspiria are two movies that still get me and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my all time favorite horror and scariest in my book (something about daylight horror films has always had an impact for me).

The psychological aspects of horror making them permanent fixtures is absolutely on point. I love modern horror that you have to revisit and that makes you reflect on something you might deal with yourself. Hereditary hit me for the concepts of inherited illness (especially mental illness); isolation aspects in The Blackcoat's Daughter and It Comes at Night; or grief and our darker feelings in Babadook; outsider feelings in Get Out...that stuff really hits me these days. I still do love some of the more campy stuff, but it's pure entertainment and absurdity for that stuff. The real gold is in the psychological aspects.

my brother said he was going to watch it. i warned him, saying that this movie **** me up for about 2-3 days because of the concept of inheriting mental illnesses - having gone through a few things the last ~4-5 years that i inherited from my mother.

he hasn't gone through any of it, so he thought it was one of the stupidest movies he's ever seen.

to this day, i can't rewatch that movie haha. but that one hit close to home and **** me up.

but those movies are my favorite, the psychological horror. babadook was the scariest movie i've ever seen, until i watched Hereditary. mainly because i watched it alone at 1:45 in the morning.

Get Out wasn't as scary as i thought it would be. it was fine, but not really scary. i do like the main actor, though. he's in an episode of black mirror and was OUTSTANDING in that.

i'll have to try the other ones. but i can't wait for IT 2
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#31 » by j4remi » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:59 pm

br7knicks wrote:my brother said he was going to watch it. i warned him, saying that this movie **** me up for about 2-3 days because of the concept of inheriting mental illnesses - having gone through a few things the last ~4-5 years that i inherited from my mother.

he hasn't gone through any of it, so he thought it was one of the stupidest movies he's ever seen.

to this day, i can't rewatch that movie haha. but that one hit close to home and **** me up.

but those movies are my favorite, the psychological horror. babadook was the scariest movie i've ever seen, until i watched Hereditary. mainly because i watched it alone at 1:45 in the morning.

Get Out wasn't as scary as i thought it would be. it was fine, but not really scary. i do like the main actor, though. he's in an episode of black mirror and was OUTSTANDING in that.

Fam I relate 100%, especially the Hereditary anecdote (my experience almost to a T with that movie right down to a sibling that wasn't feeling it). Psychological horror is my favorite kind of horror too, I also lean toward Lovercraftian which is it's own animal but still deeply introspective. The IT films have been great at blending the different styles (shape shifting helps), though I've heard this one runs long...I'll still probably be at the theater for it soon.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

br7knicks

Post#32 » by br7knicks » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:43 pm

j4remi wrote:
br7knicks wrote:my brother said he was going to watch it. i warned him, saying that this movie **** me up for about 2-3 days because of the concept of inheriting mental illnesses - having gone through a few things the last ~4-5 years that i inherited from my mother.

Fam I relate 100%, especially the Hereditary anecdote (my experience almost to a T with that movie right down to a sibling that wasn't feeling it). Psychological horror is my favorite kind of horror too, I also lean toward Lovercraftian which is it's own animal but still deeply introspective. The IT films have been great at blending the different styles (shape shifting helps), though I've heard this one runs long...I'll still probably be at the theater for it soon.

that's why hereditary hit me so hard.

my buddy told me about lovecraft, i bought a giant collection of his stories. i got so into one of the stories, that i had to put it down because it freaked me out so badly - the one of a drunk guy who gets stuck in something like a mausoleum, and **** goes crazy, but it's all in his head...so he thinks.

i can't wait for IT 2. i watched the original mini-series, and it was fine. i think tim curry did as great a job as you could for the 90s.

but i loved the new one, too - i also like the lack of raping in the movie, and instead did the "blood brothers" thing. i can't wait!
RIP, magnumt '19

Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,174

Post#33 » by Kampuchea » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:23 pm

Hereditary was better than all these others. I enjoyed IT though and will see the 2nd one, although I am intrigued by a movie out now "Ready or Not" which I may see instead.

Anybody see it? Ratings look good

RHODEY
RealGM

Post#34 » by RHODEY » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:02 am

j4remi wrote:

I saw it and it was good, but not great for me. The interactions between the protagonists are what realy made the movie for me. It was also funny and even just fun. I thought it would be scarier, and there were certainly loads of scary moments but more jumps scares than I anticipated. It ran a little too long for me as well, but overall I give it a B or a B+. I look forward to the Conjuring 3 and wish they make another Insidious Movie that explored the Further ...further ...no pun intended :D . I heard they wanted to start doing werewolves..I hope that doesn't happen.
br7knicks

Post#35 » by br7knicks » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:21 am

Kampuchea wrote:Hereditary was better than all these others. I enjoyed IT though and will see the 2nd one, although I am intrigued by a movie out now "Ready or Not" which I may see instead.

that looks entertaining, but not scary in the slightest. but i don't mind these. i liked the first saw movie - the rest were too gory for me, and less psychological.
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#36 » by br7knicks » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:22 am

RHODEY wrote:
j4remi wrote:

I saw it and it was good, but not great for me. The interactions between the protagonists are what realy made the movie for me. It was also funny and even just fun. I thought it would be scarier, and there were certainly loads of scary moments but more jumps scares than I anticipated. It ran a little too long for me as well, but overall I give it a B or a B+. I look forward to the Conjuring 3 and wish they make another Insidious Movie that explored the Further ...further ...no pun intended :D . I heard they wanted to start doing werewolves..I hope that doesn't happen.

yeah, i didn't find IT to be scary, but i liked it, and thought it was very well done. conjuring 3, i'm sure, will be good. i almost started to lose interest after, like, the 18th annabelle movie. but the first one was great.
RIP, magnumt '19

Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,174

Post#37 » by Kampuchea » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:09 am

br7knicks wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:Hereditary was better than all these others. I enjoyed IT though and will see the 2nd one, although I am intrigued by a movie out now "Ready or Not" which I may see instead.

that looks entertaining, but not scary in the slightest. but i don't mind these. i liked the first saw movie - the rest were too gory for me, and less psychological.

Definitely not scary at all, like a Comedy/Gore/Thriller.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#38 » by RHODEY » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:14 am

br7knicks wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
j4remi wrote:

yeah, i didn't find IT to be scary, but i liked it, and thought it was very well done. conjuring 3, i'm sure, will be good. i almost started to lose interest after, like, the 18th annabelle movie. but the first one was great.

You see the last annnabelle flick ?
Spoiler:
The idea that a bunch of clueless teams wre able to hold back an entire house full of unholy evls was beyond unrealistic, what a damn disappointment - almost as bad as the last Insidious movie.
br7knicks

Post#39 » by br7knicks » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:08 pm

RHODEY wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Spoiler:
The idea that a bunch of clueless teams wre able to hold back an entire house full of unholy evls was beyond unrealistic, what a damn disappointment - almost as bad as the last Insidious movie.

No, last one I saw was creation .

There's another one?
RIP, magnumt '19

RHODEY
RealGM

Post#40 » by RHODEY » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 pm

br7knicks wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Spoiler:

No, last one I saw was creation .

There's another one?

Return to New York Knicks