ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,312

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#481 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:55 am

Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,067

Post#482 » by Ed Pinkney » Mon Sep 2, 2019 6:22 am

Not sure it was worth the 13 year wait, but the new Tool album is pretty good. Me like.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant

Post#483 » by Ed Pinkney » Fri Sep 6, 2019 8:02 am

Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant

Post#484 » by Ed Pinkney » Fri Sep 6, 2019 8:04 am

Also, I really enjoyed the Wanda Sykes special on Netflix.

Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,674

Post#485 » by Romeiro Celtic » Sun Sep 8, 2019 2:29 am

One thing I've been wondering is how Hollywood always tries to capitalize on succesful foreign movies by making american remakes, but 90% fails really bad. Two examples that comes to my mind are:

Both american versions sucked so bad that made me want to rewatch the original ones, its funny that I could easily make a longer list with versions of both the french and asian cinema with american sides that didn't work at all and couldn't even capitalize at all on what was spent with the production, when Hollywood will learn? :noway:
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#486 » by Pacino62 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 11:29 am

Romeiro Celtic wrote:One thing I've been wondering is how Hollywood always tries to capitalize on succesful foreign movies by making american remakes, but 90% fails really bad. Two examples that comes to my mind are:

Both american versions sucked so bad that made me want to rewatch the original ones, its funny that I could easily make a longer list with versions of both the french and asian cinema with american sides that didn't work at all and couldn't even capitalize at all on what was spent with the production, when Hollywood will learn? :noway:

I can’t And 1 this enough. And they’re about to do the same thing with Parasite (which is brilliant by the way-caught a screener a while back) and it hasn’t even been released yet. Train To Busan as well. Blows my mind. Intouchables was incredible. The remake was a cartoon. The best remake to original that I can think of is Let Me In and Let The Right One In. Both of those two films were excellent. Unnecessary...yes. But the remake was still a very good film for people who hate watching foreign films.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,870

Post#487 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Sep 8, 2019 12:21 pm

Pacino62 wrote:
Romeiro Celtic wrote:One thing I've been wondering is how Hollywood always tries to capitalize on succesful foreign movies by making american remakes, but 90% fails really bad. Two examples that comes to my mind are:

I can’t And 1 this enough. And they’re about to do the same thing with Parasite (which is brilliant by the way-caught a screener a while back) and it hasn’t even been released yet. Train To Busan as well. Blows my mind. Intouchables was incredible. The remake was a cartoon. The best remake to original that I can think of is Let Me In and Let The Right One In. Both of those two films were excellent. Unnecessary...yes. But the remake was still a very good film for people who hate watching foreign films.

Remake that I didn't like: Secret in Their Eyes (remake of Argentine film)
Remake that I liked but watched before the original: Vanilla Sky (remake of Open Your Eyes)
Remakes that I didn't watch so as not to ruin the original: My Sassy Girl, Intouchables, Old Boy
Remake that I embarrassingly liked: City of Angels
Please do not remake: The Lives of Others
Liked the remake, never saw the original: Scent of a Woman (huge Al Pacino fan here)

Magnificent Seven (the first one) and Seven Samurai were superb. The remake of Magnificent Seven was kind of a joke.
I wish they didn't remake The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo / The Girl in the Spider's Web even though I still kinda dug the Hollywood versions and LOVE Claire Foy/Rooney Mara.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#488 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:31 pm

Excited for this, reviews are REALLY good, many of them saying JLo should get some attention come award season. Plus Lili Reinhart is one of the leads :love:

Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#489 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:48 pm

Pacino62 wrote:

Thought that The Ring was a pretty good version of Ringu.

FWIW, this goes the other way as well. Plenty of remade American movies in other countries that are trash.
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#490 » by Pacino62 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:25 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:

Thought that The Ring was a pretty good version of Ringu.

FWIW, this goes the other way as well. Plenty of remade American movies in other countries that are trash.

Yeah. The Ring was solid. There are other examples too. Like The Departed, 12 Monkeys and I’m sure others that I just can’t think of. As for the reverse, I agree with you. Remakes, as a whole, are unnecessary. I just think that, being in the states, we are more in tune with what’s remade over here. It’s shocking some titles of American films that have been remade.

Side note...Ken Watanbe starred in a Japanese version of Unforgiven that was a killer flick.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#491 » by Pacino62 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:28 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:

Remake that I didn't like: Secret in Their Eyes (remake of Argentine film)
Remake that I liked but watched before the original: Vanilla Sky (remake of Open Your Eyes)
Remakes that I didn't watch so as not to ruin the original: My Sassy Girl, Intouchables, Old Boy
Remake that I embarrassingly liked: City of Angels
Please do not remake: The Lives of Others
Liked the remake, never saw the original: Scent of a Woman (huge Al Pacino fan here)

Magnificent Seven (the first one) and Seven Samurai were superb. The remake of Magnificent Seven was kind of a joke.
I wish they didn't remake The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo / The Girl in the Spider's Web even though I still kinda dug the Hollywood versions and LOVE Claire Foy/Rooney Mara.

Love Scent of a Woman. Didn’t even realize that was a remake. Also a big Pacino fan. Hence my name :lol:

Pacino62
Analyst

Post#492 » by Pacino62 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:34 am

The Comedian wrote:Excited for this, reviews are REALLY good, many of them saying JLo should get some attention come award season. Plus Lili Reinhart is one of the leads :love:

I have an ongoing list of films that I watch every year and films that I need to see. This was definitely not on my radar. I assumed it was trash. Now, between the Jlo awards buzz and comparisons to Wolf of Wall Street, it has piqued my attention. I’m actually shocked by it. Here are a few others I can’t wait to see:

The Lighthouse
Joker
The Irishman
Dr Sleep
Marriage Story
Ad Astra
Waves
Knives Out
Queen and Slim
Three From Hell

canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,485

Post#493 » by canman1971 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:11 pm

Anyone here check out Cobra Kai? I just binged watched it after watching the Karate Kid for the 100th time. I must say, I was quite surprised how entertaining it is and how the storylines developed.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,226

Post#494 » by Parliament10 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:08 am

‘The Cars’ lead singer Ric Ocasek found dead in Manhattan home at 75

https://pix11.com/2019/09/15/the-cars-lead-singer-ric-ocasek-found-dead-in-manhattan-home-at-75/
Ocasek was found unconscious and unresponsive in bed at his East 19th Street home around 4 p.m., police said. Emergency medical services pronounced him deceased at the scene.

The cause of death is not yet clear, but police said there was no sign of foul play.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018.

The Cars are known for classics including “My Best Friend’s Girl,” “You’re All I’ve Got Tonight,” Good Times Roll, "Shake It Up” and “You Might Think.”

Ocasek, who sang, played guitar and wrote most of the band's songs, and Benjamin Orr, who played bass and also sang, were ex-hippie buddies who formed The Cars in Boston in 1976. They were a decade older than many of their modern-rock compatriots but became one of the most essential American bands of the late 1970s and 1980s with their fusion of new wave, 1960s pop and 1970s glam.

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#495 » by Parliament10 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:21 am

canman1971 wrote:Anyone here check out Cobra Kai? I just binged watched it after watching the Karate Kid for the 100th time. I must say, I was quite surprised how entertaining it is and how the storylines developed.

I've just watched the commercials. I wasn't aware that it was a series, until you mentioned it.
It's gotta be an interesting take, 35+ years. They're prepping for Season 3.

Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,758

Post#496 » by SuperDeluxe » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:06 am

There are dozens of versions of this song, but this one is my favourite. Just an incredible singer.

Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#497 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:42 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:There are dozens of versions of this song, but this one is my favourite. Just an incredible singer.

Have had this one on some playlists for a while now.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,928

Post#498 » by exculpatory » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Get this little girl a contract!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,928

Post#499 » by exculpatory » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:58 pm

https://apple.news/AN5JT5oxfRTWky0Y2NhVQdA

Tragic.
His prognosis is zero.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#500 » by Parliament10 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:09 pm

exculpatory wrote:
Read on Twitter

Get this little girl a contract!

Amazing. She's obviously a Natural.
Nothing is given."