ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 III: It's B-ball Time !!!

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Re: Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 III: bored - when is it B-ball time? 

Post#81 » by nymets1 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 8:06 pm

Antonio Brown is an interesting guy. I'm actually glad he's now a free agent because the teams I have Antonio Brown on that he was undroppable to the waiver wire before his release. But because he got released and became a free agent, He's now droppable and he can now choose his team.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,091

Post#82 » by tiderulz » Sun Sep 8, 2019 12:25 am

nymets1 wrote:Antonio Brown is an interesting guy. I'm actually glad he's now a free agent because the teams I have Antonio Brown on that he was undroppable to the waiver wire before his release. But because he got released and became a free agent, He's now droppable and he can now choose his team.

he is radioactive right now. i cant see anyone immediately picking him up. dude is just plain stupid. why give up all that money

edit: didnt see he was already picked up by the patriots. strange pairing, him and Belicheck
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,953

Post#83 » by Ducklett » Sun Sep 8, 2019 1:41 am

tiderulz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:Antonio Brown is an interesting guy. I'm actually glad he's now a free agent because the teams I have Antonio Brown on that he was undroppable to the waiver wire before his release. But because he got released and became a free agent, He's now droppable and he can now choose his team.

he is radioactive right now. i cant see anyone immediately picking him up. dude is just plain stupid. why give up all that money

edit: didnt see he was already picked up by the patriots. strange pairing, him and Belicheck

I don't mean this with any spite or malice because I enjoy debating things with you and I love you buddy, but it is funny how wrong you are sometimes lol :D (Not that I am immune to being wrong or anything)
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,091

Post#84 » by tiderulz » Sun Sep 8, 2019 2:15 am

Ducklett wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

I don't mean this with any spite or malice because I enjoy debating things with you and I love you buddy, but it is funny how wrong you are sometimes lol :D (Not that I am immune to being wrong or anything)

he burned bridges out of Pittsburgh (not that he didnt have some case, but live streaming in locker room, etc, not a good look to GM's) and then was totally unprofessional in Oakland. I cant believe Belicheck approved this, but then Nick Saban took on Lane Kiffin for 3 years, so sometimes strange pairings work.

I suppose you have some list of "how wrong i am sometimes"? hit me with it, i never claim to be 100% correct. and i could have deleted my post, but left it up because that was my original thought. dude gave up $29mil for $10 mil in guaranteed money. not what i would call smart for a 31 yr old WR.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#85 » by nymets1 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:12 am

tiderulz wrote:

I had a bunch of Antonio Brown trade requests that I sent out and there was no way I was dropping him to the waiver wire before week 1. Than I see Antonio Brown got picked up by the Patriots and nobody accepted any of my trade requests which I'm really glad because now I have to keep Antonio Brown. He'll be a fantasy monster on the Patriots. At least for now he's back to untradeable IMO

Things to look forward to in week 2 for fantasy football or a sports stock market are:

QB-Gardner Minshew-Jaguars
RB-Devin Singletary-Bills
RB-Ito Smith-Falcons
RB-Malcom Brown-Rams
RB-Austin Ekeler-Chargers
TE-Terry Hockenson-Lions
WR-John Brown-Bills
WR-Terry Mclaurin-Redskins
WR-Marquise Brown-Ravens
WR-AJ Brown-Titans
WR-John Ross-Bengals

Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,953

Post#86 » by Ducklett » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:14 am

nymets1 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

I had a bunch of Antonio Brown trade requests that I sent out and there was no way I was dropping him to the waiver wire before week 1. Than I see Antonio Brown got picked up by the Patriots and nobody accepted any of my trade requests which I'm really glad because now I have to keep Antonio Brown. He'll be a fantasy monster on the Patriots. At least for now he's back to untradeable.

I took Tom Brady in my fantasy league proclaiming "It's F'n Tom Brady. The league always finds a way to make him win a super bowl".

Just to show my psychic powers, right before the game on Thursday I took Lamar Jackson off the waiver and started him in a 1 QB league, dropping garbage time Winston and my garbage time Bucs.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#87 » by nymets1 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:20 am

I was at the Chiefs at Jaguars game today. Nick Foles, Tyreek Hill and Myles Jack leaving the game diminished the game and the Jaguars couldn't stop the Chiefs at all. I was hoping for a close finish at the end but that game was disappointing.

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,229

Post#88 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:18 pm

Ugh.. foosball talk. It IS officially the worst part of the offseason.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 765

Post#89 » by Tarheel » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:25 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:Ugh.. foosball talk. It IS officially the worst part of the offseason.

Less than 3 weeks until training camp - there's light at the end of the tunnel (at least we have the FIBA WC this year to tide us over)
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#90 » by rcklsscognition » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:53 pm

Media day will be on September 30th, not long now.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#91 » by ezzzp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:08 am

Read on Twitter
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,217

Post#92 » by pepe1991 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:32 am

According to @mikescott, @Nike and @NBA have banned the ninja-style tied headbands that became so popular last year. According to Scott, Nike said they appeared “unprofessional”.

what a joke...
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,881

Post#93 » by drsd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:19 pm

pepe1991 wrote:According to @mikescott, @Nike and @NBA have banned the ninja-style tied headbands that became so popular last year. According to Scott, Nike said they appeared “unprofessional”.

what a joke...

But this is OK. Very Professional !

YosemiteSam
Sixth Man
And1: 784

Post#94 » by YosemiteSam » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 pm

A slight conspiracy theory:

On the excellent Lowe Post podcast from yesterday about the book Range which espouses broad skills and experiences over specialization, Zach Lowe made a comment about an anonymous team official sharing the anecdote that (paraphrased) “a recently drafted player is clearly to some on the staff not going to pay off, but others in management have a sunk cost in sticking with him because they drafted him high. They could trade him now for value because others still see potential, but they won’t and will lose out on the asset completely to try and save face on the pick”. I’m pretty sure he is referring to Mo Bamba. Here is my conspiracy theory why: At two other times in the podcast Lowe had to randomly come up with an example and both times he cited the Magic. Once was the Magic and the other was Vuc. He clearly had the Magic on his mind. He also talked about them twice on his pod last week with Bill Simmons. I think he has been speaking with someone in the organization about broader issues as he often does, and the Bamba thing was part of it. Now it could be any of the many potential busts recently drafted, but the combination of his recent Magic content and the reality of Bamba’s struggles, his current career stage (still potential) and his clear challenges in motor and b-ball IQ make me pretty sure it is him. I hope I’m wrong or we trade him before his value declines like Josh Jackson or Mario.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,229

Post#95 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:22 pm

YosemiteSam wrote:A slight conspiracy theory:

On the excellent Lowe Post podcast from yesterday about the book Range which espouses broad skills and experiences over specialization, Zach Lowe made a comment about an anonymous team official sharing the anecdote that (paraphrased) “a recently drafted player is clearly to some on the staff not going to pay off, but others in management have a sunk cost in sticking with him because they drafted him high. They could trade him now for value because others still see potential, but they won’t and will lose out on the asset completely to try and save face on the pick”. I’m pretty sure he is referring to Mo Bamba. Here is my conspiracy theory why: At two other times in the podcast Lowe had to randomly come up with an example and both times he cited the Magic. Once was the Magic and the other was Vuc. He clearly had the Magic on his mind. He also talked about them twice on his pod last week with Bill Simmons. I think he has been speaking with someone in the organization about broader issues as he often does, and the Bamba thing was part of it. Now it could be any of the many potential busts recently drafted, but the combination of his recent Magic content and the reality of Bamba’s struggles, his current career stage (still potential) and his clear challenges in motor and b-ball IQ make me pretty sure it is him. I hope I’m wrong or we trade him before his value declines like Josh Jackson or Mario.

Obviously theres potential that you're spot on considering his lack of motor and IQ but he can still improve on weaknesses so I think its a little early and frankly unfair to label him a bust already. I mean right now hes Channing Frye but there's still plenty of room for growth.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Popsicle1228
Junior
And1: 326

Post#96 » by Popsicle1228 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:24 pm

I think the Bamba theory is plausible given the information you laid out. If you add that the Magic just re-signed a now All-Star center to a $100 million contract who they seemed to be preparing to replace prior to last season, and re-signed a more than capable back up in Khem Birch, your theory becomes even more plausible. As you do, I hope your theory is wrong for the Magic's sake, but I think there is a better than average chance you are correct.
Popsicle1228
Junior

Post#97 » by Popsicle1228 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:34 pm

pepe1991 wrote:According to @mikescott, @Nike and @NBA have banned the ninja-style tied headbands that became so popular last year. According to Scott, Nike said they appeared “unprofessional”.

what a joke...

Seems really silly from Nike's perspective because one would think they could monetize the trend. Even though I disagree, I can see why the NBA does not like them for "safety concerns" (their words), but Nike stating them to be unprofessional makes no sense unless they were unable to secure exclusive rights to putting a swoosh on them.
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 765

Post#98 » by Tarheel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:39 pm

Popsicle1228 wrote:

what a joke...

Seems really silly from Nike's perspective because one would think they could monetize the trend. Even though I disagree, I can see why the NBA does not like them for "safety concerns" (their words), but Nike stating them to be unprofessional makes no sense unless they were unable to secure exclusive rights to putting a swoosh on them.

Why does Nike have a say at all? Isn't it purely up to the league office?
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,495

Post#99 » by jezzerinho » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:40 pm

Popsicle1228 wrote:

I think the Bamba theory is plausible given the information you laid out. If you add that the Magic just re-signed a now All-Star center to a $100 million contract who they seemed to be preparing to replace prior to last season, and re-signed a more than capable back up in Khem Birch, your theory becomes even more plausible. As you do, I hope your theory is wrong for the Magic's sake, but I think there is a better than average chance you are correct.

Plus there's the fact that he hasn't been very good at all so far. It would be weird if the organisation felt they had evidence to support the theory that Bamba will be a great player, because it certainly isn't based on what he put on gameday tape. Given how young and raw he is, my issue with him wasn't the lack of production as much as the lack of hustle and IQ, which I just notice now is exactly what Popsicle said too.
Popsicle1228
Junior

Post#100 » by Popsicle1228 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Tarheel wrote:
Popsicle1228 wrote:

what a joke...

Why does Nike have a say at all? Isn't it purely up to the league office?

One would think. This is why I think it makes no sense for Nike to speak out unless they feel it would hurt their brand having players wearing competing headbands. They shouldn't have any say in the matter, but they didn't become the massive culture moving company they are by sitting back and being quite on issues that they believe may have an impact on their business.

Return to Orlando Magic