Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1561 » by TroyD92 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 5:00 am

stellation wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:
stellation wrote:I wonder why we bother with physical media anymore for some games? Picked up 2k20 this morning for PS4, straight into 24gb download (taking forever, presumably the servers are getting smashed).

Depends on the game for me. Some series I want the collectors edition

We're generally still in the mode of buy the physical copy of every game at our place, it just kind of drives me bonkers when it then has a mega download associated with it from day one. :D

Yeah I agree. I rarely buy games on launch anymore with how busy I am and my already abundant backlog of PS4/steam games lol
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#1562 » by jschligs » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:28 pm

TroyD92 wrote:
stellation wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:
Depends on the game for me. Some series I want the collectors edition

We're generally still in the mode of buy the physical copy of every game at our place, it just kind of drives me bonkers when it then has a mega download associated with it from day one. :D

Yeah I agree. I rarely buy games on launch anymore with how busy I am and my already abundant backlog of PS4/steam games lol

The only reason I do physical copies, which is rare, is if I feel like I'd want to resell it at some point or if it was on sale for a drastically lower price then digital.

I also rarely buy games on launch anymore as well, but Cyberpunk 2077 will be day 1, minute 1 for this guy 8-)
NomNomNomParker
Starter
And1: 1,248

Post#1563 » by NomNomNomParker » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:45 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:For all you fellow Final Fantasy nerds out there, they re-mastered FFVIII for the major consoles and you can download it for $20 as of yesterday. Probably gonna pick it up seeing as this is one that I never invested a lot of time into. Gotta get my classic JRPG fix somehow, and no game in the last decade or so has done it for me.

Have you tried Divinity Sins 2? Best JRPG in the past 20 years IMO.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,651

Post#1564 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:05 pm

NomNomNomParker wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:For all you fellow Final Fantasy nerds out there, they re-mastered FFVIII for the major consoles and you can download it for $20 as of yesterday. Probably gonna pick it up seeing as this is one that I never invested a lot of time into. Gotta get my classic JRPG fix somehow, and no game in the last decade or so has done it for me.

Have you tried Divinity Sins 2? Best JRPG in the past 20 years IMO.

Not sure I'd consider it a JRPG. I think it's more CRPG, or what CRPGs have evolved into. Even if you do consider if a JRPG, it's definitely not a classic-style JRPG. That would be separate battle, stand in line, timer turn based, heavy menu-driven. Like FF8.

Sorry to split hairs but do think it's a distinction and there are people who like one style and not the other. I happen to like both, and yes, it's an incredible game either way.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#1565 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:43 pm

Did anyone pickup Astral Chain? After finishing Fire Emblem I looked back at Valkria Chronicles 4 and went from kind of neutral on it to really disliking it by comparison. Debating taking my VC4 copy and trading it in toward Astral Chain, if people have thoughts on it. That said, Link’s Awakening is about 2 weeks away so I’m not sure if I should pick up a new game right now.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#1566 » by humanrefutation » Sat Sep 7, 2019 10:14 pm

FYI - Cuphead is hella fun but hella hard. Gorgeous graphics keep me engaged.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#1567 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Sep 8, 2019 4:51 am

So during my move this week I came into a $1300 Denon receiver for free that is wildly overkill for my situation. I already had two perfectly fine receivers and a Dolby Atmos soundbar and satellite setup I'd be boxing away or selling. So anyway, this receiver changed my plan!

I took the four satellite speaks I was gonna use in the bedroom and made them four additional surround sound speakers in addition to the five I had in the living room. It took me longer than I care to admit to get everything working and looking in a way that doesn't scream obnoxious, but GOD DAMN. Watched football and MLB tonight and that was cool but the real kicker was Dark Souls 3. The sound is silly, even if the PS4 only seems to truly handle 7.1.

And tomorrow when I work on the bedroom the Atmos setup goes in there.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#1568 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:18 pm

I don't own any physical games for my xbox. I hope next generation they offer a variant with a high capacity flash drive (big enough for 20-30 games) and no optical drive.

Other than bugs that will certainly be fixed, 2k20 is good. The pay to win pricing model is such a racket, but if you bite the bullet and go into it thinking "this game costs $100 per year, it is what it is", it is a great game.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#1569 » by jschligs » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:32 pm

Sneakerpants wrote:I don't own any physical games for my xbox. I hope next generation they offer a variant with a high capacity flash drive (big enough for 20-30 games) and no optical drive.

Other than bugs that will certainly be fixed, 2k20 is good. The pay to win pricing model is such a racket, but if you bite the bullet and go into it thinking "this game costs $100 per year, it is what it is", it is a great game.

What's disappointing to me is they did little to nothing for MyLeague/MyGM. That's all I play and they didn't add Sign & Trades and barely added any other features. I basically end up paying for a roster update. I play maybe 3-6 games out of my 82 game season.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,620

Post#1570 » by Gianstoppable » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Is the MyPlayer storyline still super cringe?
#FreeChuckDiesel
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,750

Post#1571 » by tydett » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Sneakerpants wrote:I don't own any physical games for my xbox. I hope next generation they offer a variant with a high capacity flash drive (big enough for 20-30 games) and no optical drive.

To be 100% honest, this is what most AAA games should cost. I know that's a ridiculous notion to think about, but gaming has pretty much been inflation proof for at least 20 years. It's certainly possible that if the cost of games went up, we could move away from ridiculous microtransactions and unfinished releases that need patches to be fixed, and indie games could actually have a price point around $40-$50 that actually pays the developer.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#1572 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:43 pm

tydett wrote:

To be 100% honest, this is what most AAA games should cost. I know that's a ridiculous notion to think about, but gaming has pretty much been inflation proof for at least 20 years. It's certainly possible that if the cost of games went up, we could move away from ridiculous microtransactions and unfinished releases that need patches to be fixed, and indie games could actually have a price point around $40-$50 that actually pays the developer.

Nah, zero chance. This was always inevitable once the micro-transaction flood gates were opened. I don't see why the industry would ever turn their backs on essentially an endless cash flow considering how much some of these games that are 5-6 years old are still making purely off of that and DLC. It's a shame because technologically, video games should only exponentially get better and better, but it's become much more about how much "content" you have and can constantly churn out as opposed to focusing on quality and creativity. But on the positive side, It's why I do think that the indie game market has a chance to really revitalize the industry, because there's definitely a market for alternatives to the Call of Duty's, Destiny's, and Fortnite's of the world.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1573 » by humanrefutation » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:52 pm

I've just decided that with most sports games, I shouldn't buy them year-to-year unless reviews indicate a massive update. I generally play career mode, and it really doesn't make sense to invest in a new version of the game when the career team I'm playing with is going to be different than the roster update anyway.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1574 » by humanrefutation » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:56 pm

tydett wrote:

It is a ridiculous notion. There's absolutely no reason that games with meager improvements on an annual cycle should cost $100+ a pop.

As for the microtransactions, they make a lot more than $100 off of people who invest in them, especially from the Ultimate Team obsessed. Some folks will spend thousands on card packs and such. Like 30% of EA's total revenue comes from people who play Ultimate Team.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1575 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:07 pm

A few BL3 reviews are starting to trickle out, but it sounds like the reviews are based off of an incomplete and buggy version of the game, and many didn't even get download codes (Kotaku???).
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1576 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:09 pm

Mostly good. I think I only saw one real negative in Polygon.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#1577 » by Sauce Boss » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:13 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Mostly good. I think I only saw one real negative in Polygon.

PC Gamer slapped it with a 63/100.

The trend I see is in the reviews for it are “I wanted more BL2 and I got it” or “It feels stagnant and weaknesses are more glaring because it’s just more BL2.”
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1578 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 pm

Yea, if you like Borderlands and want more of it you'll probably love it. It's not gonna make new fans out of people who didn't love it.

ETA: One think I'd like to say. Wheels don't need reinventing. In the last year I think I've been burned by two beloved franchises in Red Dead Redemption 2, and Fire Emblem Three Houses that tried to add too much or change up too many systems. I don't think either ended up becoming particularly great games. If something works and it's what the fans want, just give it to them.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1579 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:29 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Yea, if you like Borderlands and want more of it you'll probably love it. It's not gonna make new fans out of people who didn't love it.

ETA: One think I'd like to say. Wheels don't need reinventing. In the last year I think I've been burned by two beloved franchises in Red Dead Redemption 2, and Fire Emblem Three Houses that tried to add too much or change up too many systems. I don't think either ended up becoming particularly great games. If something works and it's what the fans want, just give it to them.

This is kind of what I expected which I was initially disappointed about a bit, but: 1) the new PCs, gun modes, skill tree progression, and environments are enough change for me, and 2) unlike you, I haven't played BL since my time with 2 ended, about a year after release. I'd be ready for more of the same, let alone with some nice incremental changes.

And you have a good point with not messing with a good thing. Other looter shooters I have not found fun, so I would rather BL stick to what they do best.

I was and am in either way, but yeah, I agree with your points. And I think the IGN review convinced my BL buddy to get back in, so I'm all hyped. Friday can't come soon enough.

Side note, I suppose, that DQB2 is exceptional and anyone remotely interested should check it out. The first title was solid, but with 2 they took every shortcoming and improved upon it, then through a bunch of other great stuff in too. My playtime is over 70h and I'm not even 2/3 done. You could play this game basically forever if you like building stuff. I prefer this over other building/crafting games I've played as there's a loose story there, too, which helps provide some structure. It's just so good - my favorite this year, easily. I'm ready to set it down for a bit, though, and come back refreshed in a few months.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#1580 » by stellation » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:55 pm

iPhone question- is there a way to not have a phone call come in over the top of a specific app when that app is in use? My work moved over to webex for their conference facility, it has a pretty nifty app and you can either connect for voice on the phone via your Internet connection or via it calling you/you calling it; the voice quality is generally better and app less cumbersome if I use the Internet connection (the webex number for my company is also a VOIP connection from the US that isn't crystal clear) so I prefer that, but if someone rings me in that time the phone call overrules the open app.

Ideally I'd like to just be able to have something like "when this specific app is open and in use don't interrupt with voice calls".
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Milwaukee Bucks