Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1221 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:13 pm

DOWN GOES BOLTON!
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,017

Post#1222 » by dckingsfan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:26 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:If they falsely accuse someone of rape, isn't that a crime? So if you have an abortion and it was proven without a shadow of a doubt you were not in fact raped, then hard time is indeed the answer. That's 2 crimes. if she was raped, lock that guy up for life and treat him like the animal he is.

Naturally you didn't answer any of the questions.

Q1: should be able to get an abortion - no questions asked other than that one (were you raped)?
Q2: What do we do with those that get an abortion (lock them up)?

And to Q1: What if she was raped but can't prove it within a reasonable doubt (the current standard of prosecution)?

You will obfuscate and not answer the questions. Because you don't have them. And that is the problem with your position(s).

Because I'm never going to be okay with a child being killed, you can call it obfuscating, but regardless of the situation, a baby being aborted is a sad situation. The 3 cases of rape, mother life in danger, baby's life in danger are horrific, no person should ever have to deal with it., and the woman in said case did nothing to put herself in that situation, it was a terrible curveball thrown right at her full force. The other, the whoops, which is probably 90% of abortions, is what I'll gladly get on a high horse and scream about, because it's about being accountable and owning your stuff.

So, you have no answers and yet want to dictate something but don't know what it is... just saying.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#1223 » by pancakes3 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:38 pm

uh, falsely accusing someone of rape isn't a crime. and there's a huge difference between lying about a rape and not being able to get a rape conviction.

wtf. if you don't want people to call you dumb, don't say dumb things.
Bullets -> Wizards
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1224 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:41 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
dobrojim wrote:Just curious. It's not completely clear (to me), maybe because I tend to skim quickly through these
'discussions', that DA1 understands what the meaning or effect of marginal rates is.

https://taxfoundation.org/2019-tax-brackets

Using me, a married person, as an example -

the 1st $19.4K (after deductions) , I would pay 10% or $1940.

Beginning with the 19,401st dollar, I would begin to pay 12% on those dollars up to the next bracket, $78,950.
So if I was fortunate enough to surpass that dollar amount, that 12% on those dollars creates a liability of $7146
for a combined total of $9086. Note this is less than 12%, your marginal rate, of 78950, the high end of that bracket.

By going to another bracket, your income tax rate doesn't become the new rate for every dollar you made.

Parts or tiers of your income are taxed at different rates.

There are very good reasons for this as many have discussed here previously.

If you already understood all this, than I apologize for assuming less of you than I should have.
My possibly imperfect reading led me to question whether this is clear to you.

I do taxes for a living and have found a significant number of clients didn't understand marginal rates. They're convinced that if they earn a dollar more into a higher bracket that all of their income is taxed at the higher rate. No folks, only the dollar(s) you earned into the next bracket are taxed at the higher rate. Every time I've tried explaining that - it's taken several attempts before that concept clicks with them.

I didn't know that was your field, interesting. Curious to get your take though, do you think its fair though? To be taxed those dollars at a higher rate? In your opinion, is there a better alternative?

Oh definitely. Honestly, I think it would be immoral for wealthy people to not pay a higher rate marginal rate. Fwiw, I find it sickening that our president - who portrays himself as uber wealthy - has likely not paid taxes for many years. I'm a Warren Buffet admirer, and when he admitted he paid a lower rate of tax than his secretary, I think that should have been an eye-opener as to what a poor tax system we have. We've got to get rid of so many incentives built into the tax system - it's so much more complicated than when I first started in the biz - and actually Trump's tax bills have confused things a Lot and made my tax season a nightmare.

A flat tax might actually be an improvement over what we have - it would also get rid of the favorable capital gains rates. Still, I'm a big believer in a marginal rate system - it's morally right and more efficient, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,041

Post#1225 » by daoneandonly » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:44 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Naturally you didn't answer any of the questions.

Q1: should be able to get an abortion - no questions asked other than that one (were you raped)?
Q2: What do we do with those that get an abortion (lock them up)?

And to Q1: What if she was raped but can't prove it within a reasonable doubt (the current standard of prosecution)?

You will obfuscate and not answer the questions. Because you don't have them. And that is the problem with your position(s).

Because I'm never going to be okay with a child being killed, you can call it obfuscating, but regardless of the situation, a baby being aborted is a sad situation. The 3 cases of rape, mother life in danger, baby's life in danger are horrific, no person should ever have to deal with it., and the woman in said case did nothing to put herself in that situation, it was a terrible curveball thrown right at her full force. The other, the whoops, which is probably 90% of abortions, is what I'll gladly get on a high horse and scream about, because it's about being accountable and owning your stuff.

So, you have no answers and yet want to dictate something but don't know what it is... just saying.

That's the type of attitude that just excuses every thing and anything, oh the what 2% of times where the abortion is because of rape, due to that, the other 93% of times when its just a whoops, dont want to be responsible, lets just let it go.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1226 » by daoneandonly » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:46 pm

pancakes3 wrote:uh, falsely accusing someone of rape isn't a crime. and there's a huge difference between lying about a rape and not being able to get a rape conviction.

I thought I was on ignore waffle? You do you and worry about meth heads and coke heads being victims of the stupid on drugs agenda, and dont worry about anything i say. No one's talking about getting a conviction, if its clear as day a rape was lied about, she should be imprisoned. But again, it goes against being accountable, so you call it dumb.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1227 » by daoneandonly » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I do taxes for a living and have found a significant number of clients didn't understand marginal rates. They're convinced that if they earn a dollar more into a higher bracket that all of their income is taxed at the higher rate. No folks, only the dollar(s) you earned into the next bracket are taxed at the higher rate. Every time I've tried explaining that - it's taken several attempts before that concept clicks with them.

I didn't know that was your field, interesting. Curious to get your take though, do you think its fair though? To be taxed those dollars at a higher rate? In your opinion, is there a better alternative?

Oh definitely. Honestly, I think it would be immoral for wealthy people to not pay a higher rate marginal rate. Fwiw, I find it sickening that our president - who portrays himself as uber wealthy - has likely not paid taxes for many years. I'm a Warren Buffet admirer, and when he admitted he paid a lower rate of tax than his secretary, I think that should have been an eye-opener as to what a poor tax system we have. We've got to get rid of so many incentives built into the tax system - it's so much more complicated than when I first started in the biz - and actually Trump's tax bills have confused things a Lot and made my tax season a nightmare.

A flat tax might actually be an improvement over what we have - it would also get rid of the favorable capital gains rates. Still, I'm a big believer in a marginal rate system - it's morally right and more efficient, imo.

Thanks for sharing.

I agree job #1 needs to eb to eliminate the loop holes the super rich hide behind, a flat tax system address that better. it also takes care of point #2 in what needs fixing, the system is not fair to the middle and upper middle class.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#1228 » by pancakes3 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:54 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:uh, falsely accusing someone of rape isn't a crime. and there's a huge difference between lying about a rape and not being able to get a rape conviction.

I thought I was on ignore waffle? You do you and worry about meth heads and coke heads being victims of the stupid on drugs agenda, and dont worry about anything i say. No one's talking about getting a conviction, if its clear as day a rape was lied about, she should be imprisoned. But again, it goes against being accountable, so you call it dumb.

lol, how about you try being accountable for being dumb?
Bullets -> Wizards
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1229 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Jeebus, can Trump really be that f'd up? Actually, does anyone think he wouldn't do that if he thinks he can get away with it?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#1230 » by Pointgod » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dobrojim wrote:Just curious. It's not completely clear (to me), maybe because I tend to skim quickly through these
'discussions', that DA1 understands what the meaning or effect of marginal rates is.

https://taxfoundation.org/2019-tax-brackets

Using me, a married person, as an example -

the 1st $19.4K (after deductions) , I would pay 10% or $1940.

Beginning with the 19,401st dollar, I would begin to pay 12% on those dollars up to the next bracket, $78,950.
So if I was fortunate enough to surpass that dollar amount, that 12% on those dollars creates a liability of $7146
for a combined total of $9086. Note this is less than 12%, your marginal rate, of 78950, the high end of that bracket.

By going to another bracket, your income tax rate doesn't become the new rate for every dollar you made.

Parts or tiers of your income are taxed at different rates.

There are very good reasons for this as many have discussed here previously.

If you already understood all this, than I apologize for assuming less of you than I should have.
My possibly imperfect reading led me to question whether this is clear to you.

I do taxes for a living and have found a significant number of clients didn't understand marginal rates. They're convinced that if they earn a dollar more into a higher bracket that all of their income is taxed at the higher rate. No folks, only the dollar(s) you earned into the next bracket are taxed at the higher rate. Every time I've tried explaining that - it's taken several attempts before that concept clicks with them - and these are generally bright people, but they had the wrong idea etched in their brain for so long that it's not easy for them to accept they had a misconception.

The problem is that if a person actually understands how marginal tax rates work, their whole narrative of victim falls apart. Remaining ignorant is how they get through life and how the GOP retains power.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1231 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:DOWN GOES BOLTON!

Wow, why would anyone in their right mind work for Trump ever again? Key words being right mind. You would almost have to be insane to agree to work for him.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1232 » by Kanyewest » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:23 pm

CBS Poll has Warren at 26% and Biden at 25% and Sanders at 19% in the first 18 states and caucuses. That being said, they still forecast that Biden will get more primary votes.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#1233 » by Pointgod » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Jeebus, can Trump really be that f'd up? Actually, does anyone think he wouldn't do that if he thinks he can get away with it?

What about Trump makes you think that he isn’t capable of this? The man is a morally bankrupt piece of trash. He’s probably had people killed to protect himself. I’m not exaggerating or kidding on this. Of course he can get away with it. He has Republicans by their pussies he knows even if Democrats get their **** together and impeach, the Senate will acquit him. Where has he ever suffered consequences for anything in his life?
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1234 » by daoneandonly » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:52 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

lol, how about you try being accountable for being dumb?

I do own it, i am. Now are u going to admit that the #1 reason for abortion is lack of accountability? Come on Eric, let's see you own something for once in your life. You come to a basketball forum and probably don't know who Michael Jordan is, seeing how every post is on this thread.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1235 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

What about Trump makes you think that he isn’t capable of this? The man is a morally bankrupt piece of trash. He’s probably had people killed to protect himself. I’m not exaggerating or kidding on this. Of course he can get away with it. He has Republicans by their pussies he knows even if Democrats get their **** together and impeach, the Senate will acquit him. Where has he ever suffered consequences for anything in his life?

It's at the point where I would promise to vote for Kasich or any Bush brother in the general election if the Republican party would choose them over Trump.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1236 » by daoneandonly » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Jeebus, can Trump really be that f'd up? Actually, does anyone think he wouldn't do that if he thinks he can get away with it?

It's at the point where I would promise to vote for Kasich or any Bush brother in the general election if the Republican party would choose them over Trump.

Promise???
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1237 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:21 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Promise???

Yes, draw up the agreement - I'll sign it. I actually admire Jeb and Kasich. No Pence though.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1238 » by daoneandonly » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Ruzious wrote:It's at the point where I would promise to vote for Kasich or any Bush brother in the general election if the Republican party would choose them over Trump.

Promise???

Yes, draw up the agreement - I'll sign it. I actually admire Jeb and Kasich. No Pence though.

I'm with you,well except i like Pence. But Kasich was the candidate I supported in 2016 and was hoping would prevail. What ended up happening was urine in the face (would have been feces if it was Hillary, so i guess its something)
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1239 » by daoneandonly » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

No one's arguing Trump is a tool, you are indeed correct. But your conspiracy theories are a bit ridiculous. The only thing more comical is almost any one on the left preaching about "consequences for anything in life" and taking the stances on other issues that they do, contradiction much?
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,017

Post#1240 » by dckingsfan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:36 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Because I'm never going to be okay with a child being killed, you can call it obfuscating, but regardless of the situation, a baby being aborted is a sad situation. The 3 cases of rape, mother life in danger, baby's life in danger are horrific, no person should ever have to deal with it., and the woman in said case did nothing to put herself in that situation, it was a terrible curveball thrown right at her full force. The other, the whoops, which is probably 90% of abortions, is what I'll gladly get on a high horse and scream about, because it's about being accountable and owning your stuff.

That's the type of attitude that just excuses every thing and anything, oh the what 2% of times where the abortion is because of rape, due to that, the other 93% of times when its just a whoops, dont want to be responsible, lets just let it go.

No, with respect, it is the type of attitude that has greatly reduced the number of abortions in time. It is the type of attitude that wants to come up with solutions vs. getting on a high horse and screaming (and doing nothing).

You are saying you don't have a solution but it is a tragedy. Okay - how are you going to fix it?

You have not come up with a single valid proposal.

Return to Washington Wizards