ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Enes Kanter Wins WWE 24/7 Title At MSG

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,277

Re: OT: Enes Kanter Wins WWE 24/7 Title At MSG 

Post#21 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:20 pm

fbalmeida wrote:I used to love wrestling, back in the day when they called it the WWF and was purported to be real.

But just like Santa Claus, I ceased having any interest whatsoever in it, the moment I came to understand it was all phony. Which happened when I was like 7 or 8.

To each his own, naturally.

WWE > UFC
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,581

Post#22 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:21 pm

Nice to see someone finally win something at MSG.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,756

Post#23 » by Duffman100 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:25 pm

TravisScott55 wrote:PG era and an overly politically correct society killed wrestling.

Wrong. Their inability to have interesting story lines, internal politics and their refusal to push true talent is what killed wrestling.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#24 » by fbalmeida » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:41 pm

To say nothing of the fact that it's owned and run by a family of sordid people.

"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
omar36
Analyst
And1: 4,708

Post#25 » by omar36 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Why are they booing Enes Kanter?

cause he signed with boston? also wasnt great with em lol. I loved this bit, the jersey reveal was jokes.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,779

Post#26 » by Dennis 37 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Decades ago, wrestling was wrestling, yes we knew it was fake, but it was made to look real. One could actually debate how close to real it was. There were no storylines, no drama, no crap. It was just 15 second entrances of both combatants and have at it.

The soap opera crap makes it unwatchable.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,756

Post#27 » by Duffman100 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:Decades ago, wrestling was wrestling, yes we knew it was fake, but it was made to look real. One could actually debate how close to real it was. There were no storylines, no drama, no crap. It was just 15 second entrances of both combatants and have at it.

:lol: my favourite is the Undertaker entrance now take like 7 minutes. He milks it.. it's so bad.
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,228

Post#28 » by TheAlchemist » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:38 pm

Lmfao I love it!
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#29 » by J-Roc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:Decades ago, wrestling was wrestling, yes we knew it was fake, but it was made to look real. One could actually debate how close to real it was. There were no storylines, no drama, no crap. It was just 15 second entrances of both combatants and have at it.

Whoa, how many decades ago were you watching wrestling?? The 80's and 90's had tons of silly drama.

And yes, as a 6yr old kid, I used to debate with my brother how real it was. Good times.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#30 » by Scott Hall » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:10 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
Hero_Panda wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:Wrestling... :roll:

I don't watch wrestling but I got nothing against it.
What do you hope to get by making a comment like this in a thread about wrestling?

Well, my idea was to get across something akin to Yosemite Dan's opinion above, as elegantly as possible. :)

I hold the conventional adult opinion that professional wrestling, as a scripted faux-sport, ranks among the most embarrassing and preposterous types of entertainment our species' has ever produced, on par with stuff like the Kattenstoet festival, fox tossing, and reality tv shows.

I think it's self-debasing for an athlete of Enes Kanter's stature to indulge in this nonsense.

Ah the classic humanoid that has an ego and thinks they're more classy and sophisticated then others because
they don't like or maybe fully understand the art form.

2 can play this game though...

I see you're a fan of soccer why don't you evolve from a caveman sport that is to simplistic where players lay
around on the grass like little pansies that got shot trying to get attention from the ref and bait the other
player into a penalty. Also what kind of sport settles a possible championship on a gimmick like penalty kicks
where a goalie has to guess which way to jump for a 50/50 chance to stop it.

You must evolve from this simplistic caveman sport
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,480

Post#31 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:18 pm

“Not many people know that, but players talk. From different teams, they talk,” Kanter said on the Full 48 podcast with Bleacher Report’s Howard Beck. “I’m not blaming anybody. I had an amazing time with the Knicks. But other teammates I talked to or if they’re on different teams, they always said, ‘Amazing city, MSG is amazing. Everything is so good. But the ownership.’ They always keep saying, ‘But the ownership.’”

“I always tell them, the Knicks are amazing. It’s the Garden, it’s the Mecca. If you win in New York, you’re the king of the world. Some of the players are I guess scared to come here and don’t even want to deal with that.”

GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#32 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:36 pm

"If you win in New York, you’re the king of the world."

I'm not sure how Enes Kanter would have generated an opinion on that

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#33 » by fbalmeida » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:
Hero_Panda wrote:
What do you hope to get by making a comment like this in a thread about wrestling?

Well, my idea was to get across something akin to Yosemite Dan's opinion above, as elegantly as possible. :)

I hold the conventional adult opinion that professional wrestling, as a scripted faux-sport, ranks among the most embarrassing and preposterous types of entertainment our species' has ever produced, on par with stuff like the Kattenstoet festival, fox tossing, and reality tv shows.

I think it's self-debasing for an athlete of Enes Kanter's stature to indulge in this nonsense.

Ah the classic humanoid that has an ego and thinks they're more classy and sophisticated then others because

I see you're a fan of soccer why don't you evolve from a caveman sport that is to simplistic where players lay
around on the grass like little pansies that got shot trying to get attention from the ref and bait the other
player into a penalty. Also what kind of sport settles a possible championship on a gimmick like penalty kicks

Of course two can play the game, but you're pushing an open door with me on football (soccer). Soccer's rules, such as penalty shots, penalty for a foul within the... well, penalty area, the card system, etc., are insufferably archaic and in desperate need of updating. I can enjoy the odd game, but I'm privy to the sport's problems. I'd rank soccer below, at least a dozen other sports. It's accessibility still makes it the most naturally widespread sport on earth.

But we can make distinctions of merit and value when comparing wrestling to other forms of entertainment.

WWF or WWE or whatever it is they call themselves these days, isn't a sport. It's a concoction of bad soap-opera, low-rate acrobatics, and incompetent pantomiming. If the spectacle involves something a person can just walk into without any specific preparation or training, and draw immediate cheers from the crowd, than it can hardly merit the recognition of any particular effort or skill.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#34 » by LLJ » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:39 pm

There is a pro wrestling forum on Realgm.

There is plenty of complaining there about booking too if people want to vent
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#35 » by Scott Hall » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:58 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:

Of course two can play the game, but you're pushing an open door with me on football (soccer). Soccer's rules, such as penalty shots, penalty for a foul within the... well, penalty area, the card system, etc., are insufferably archaic and in desperate need of updating. I can enjoy the odd game, but I'm privy to the sport's problems. I'd rank soccer below, at least a dozen other sports. It's accessibility still makes it the most naturally widespread sport on earth.

But we can make distinctions of merit and value when comparing wrestling to other forms of entertainment.

WWF or WWE or whatever it is they call themselves these days, isn't a sport. It's a concoction of bad soap-opera, low-rate acrobatics, and incompetent pantomiming. If the spectacle involves something a person can just walk into without any specific preparation or training, and draw immediate cheers from the crowd, than it can hardly merit the recognition of any particular effort or skill.

It's not a sport it's art completely subjective art that can be conveyed in many different ways...

I don't know why you think they don't have any specific preparation or training? or low-rate acrobatics? do you want
me to show you some of the aerial moves that are done today?

There are tons of wrestlers through the years that have transitioned from the UFC, are ex Olympic athletes, former
Football players NFL and CFL, former basketball players NCAA etc etc

What non wrestling fans (or old wrestling fans from the 80's and early 90's) don't understand is what you see play
out in front of the camera is not even the thing what interests fans anymore it's what goes on behind the scenes
and the psychology of why things are done.

Also WWE and Vince McMahon is not the the only indication of what professional wrestling is. New Japan pro Wrestling
presents it like a real sport and is a completely different product. Back in the day ECW made an 18+ borderline rated
R product that was hardcore aimed for adults.

This is the Entertainment business not anybody off the street can become a successful singer or actor or model or athlete.
You have to look the part, sound the part, act the part, move the part and you have to connect with the audience and
make them want to pay to see you or pay for your merchandise.

There are very few modern guys who can do this
Oakville_Raptor
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#36 » by Oakville_Raptor » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Hero_Panda wrote:

People who hate on wrestling are pretty much pathetic...the whole "it's fake" thing they say is disgraceful. Would love to see these f@cks get in the ring night in night out and take bumps constantly.
HokutoNoCamera
Senior
And1: 419

Post#37 » by HokutoNoCamera » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Enes....don't quit your day job.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
___________________Image
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,461

Post#38 » by Brinbe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:42 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Brinbe wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:I used to love wrestling, back in the day when they called it the WWF and was purported to be real.

But just like Santa Claus, I ceased having any interest whatsoever in it, the moment I came to understand it was all phony. Which happened when I was like 7 or 8.

To each his own, naturally.

what the hell do you not understand, people know it's phony and scripted. that's not why people watch it, because they think it's real. :lol:

they're storytellers, it's entertainment, that's it.

It's a soap opera but with athletes who do funny ****. Nothing more, nothing less.

nope, not really.

that's like watching only the 905 play and calling that basketball. nothing more, nothing less. it's an absurd and stupid statement. :noway:

someone could watch this, kobashi-misawa, seen by many as the greatest match of all time, and just appreciate it on its merits not realizing the decades of history between these two and the significance/callbacks within it. but when you do see it knowing all that, it's just magic on another level. that's pro wrestling. denigrating it as just simple soap opera is a slap in the face to the art, tbh.

alternatively, something like ishii-omega works as a one-off.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rg6vz
Jay240
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#39 » by Jay240 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:49 pm

Waiting for the Wiretap.... "Celtics void Enes Kanter's contract due to conduct detrimental to his health."
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,653

Post#40 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
Hero_Panda wrote:

What kind of person hates the Kattenstoet Festival. So awful.

Return to Toronto Raptors