Image ImageImage Image

NBA Mid Season tourney?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

NBA Mid Season tourney? 

Post#1 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:59 pm

Interesting.....

Read on Twitter

I've heard Simmons float this for years and he is pretty good pals with Silver now.
I mean they DID change the ASG format last year. Adam likes to tinker. I think this is happening in 2021.

I kinda want to see it - but I'm against it for injury risk.
I know I'd be watching.

I answered a DEFINATELY YES to any questions that seemed in the positive side for it on the survey.

winner maybe you get a mini LarryOBee?
Bill has suggested watches like they used to give out prior to championship rings....
:dontknow:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Re: NBA Mid Season tourney? 

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:28 pm

I hate the idea personally.

You play to crown a champion. I'm not sure what a mid-season tourney does to make that more interesting.

Maybe there is some way you can work it in to determine some type of home court or create a point system for making the playoffs where tourney wins weigh more than other wins towards making the playoffs and seeding, but it's hard for me to intuitively think of something that is both fair and adds value.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#3 » by MrSparkle » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:31 pm

Hell yes. The NBA needs a major shake-up IMO. The regular season just isn't what it used to be. Plenty of reasons why, but that's a whole other subject with many variables.

I say poops to tradition. The NBA has a chance to overtake NFL popularity, but they need to make fans of 25 teams more invested, cause right now there is no reason to watch regular season (or even playoffs) since you have a 90% certainty of who'll make the finals and win it all. The players don't give a damn from Nov-Apr, the fans don't give a damn... It's either "contend" or "tank."

Please give me a more competitive product for the first 86 games of the season (including the 1st round).

But someone explain to me what is being suggested here : does this tournament have next to nothing to do with the regular season and the playoffs? I'm 50-50 on that, unless they shorten the regular season by 20 games and shorten the main playoffs. But what's the real payoff for winning the midseason tournament? I think you should still get the real championship trophy. Definitely don't water down the "prize."

I wouldn't mind if they went more of a baseball format (wild cards) for the post-season playoffs. More exclusive for the June championship. With major kudos to whoever wins both brackets.

When would they time this ? Middle of January? That is football bowl time. It would be cool if they scrapped pre-season, started early October, and and actually had this tournament around Christmas time (Dec 15-28 or so). The ratings would be through the roof.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,489

Post#4 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:31 pm

dougthonus wrote:I hate the idea personally.

You play to crown a champion. I'm not sure what a mid-season tourney win means or how it effectively impacts the playoff picture.

Yeah. There are no stakes here. I'm not sure I see the point.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#5 » by MrSparkle » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:33 pm

Yeah, I only see sense in it if you actually get the championship. Might be a 4 month rental, but you get a chip.

Meaning... you can get 2 championships per year. Kind of more like boxing, in how quickly that chip gets passed around.

Would be a huge bend into the traditional stats and record-books, but I don't see the point of caring anymore. The game and competitive spirit has changed so drastically, not to mention the money and technology invested for guys staying healthy longer.

For example, I don't see how I'd be more impressed by anybody breaking Kareem's record. An iron man in the old days with Converse sneakers and he evolved with several generations of the game.

It's just fruitless comparing stats from today's players.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#6 » by sco » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:34 pm

You play to crown a champion. I'm not sure what a mid-season tourney win means or how it effectively impacts the playoff picture.

I heard Silver talking on the radio about this a month or two ago. The NBA has a problem. Its season is too long, but the owners and players love the money too much. So they try to manufacture meaning where it doesn't exist.

Here's an idea. Play 2 seasons a year - the Summer Season and the Winter Seasn. Cut everything in half. You win the championship...boom you're the champion. It's just for 6 months.
:clap:
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#7 » by transplant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:51 pm

If any major professional sports league decides to do something I think is silly, it will be the NBA. They are much more in tune with younger fans. I’m 65 and might as well already be dead as far as Silver is concerned. I’m ok with that and still like the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#8 » by IamSam » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:40 pm

I'm having a tough time seeing how this helps anyone (players, teams/orgs, fans, etc). I wonder whether or nots the idea would be to shorten the regular season to account for the additional tournament games.

I don't think I have seen anyone seriously advocating to cram more games into a season.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#9 » by transplant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:49 pm

IamSam wrote:I'm having a tough time seeing how this helps anyone (players, teams/orgs, fans, etc). I wonder whether or nots the idea would be to shorten the regular season to account for the additional tournament games.

I don't think I have seen anyone seriously advocating to cram more games into a season.

New revenue is something that pleases owners and players. Any idea that has the potential to create new revenue will be taken seriously.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#10 » by IamSam » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:58 pm

transplant wrote:
IamSam wrote:I'm having a tough time seeing how this helps anyone (players, teams/orgs, fans, etc). I wonder whether or nots the idea would be to shorten the regular season to account for the additional tournament games.

New revenue is something that pleases owners and players. Any idea that has the potential to create new revenue will be taken seriously.

Ah, thanks for bringing me back to reality. :D
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#11 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:09 pm

A couple of years ago NFL Owners contemplated the idea of adding 2 more games to the regular season schedule. This feels like the NBA version of that.

IOW, no. Just no.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,636

Post#12 » by Dez » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 am

Pointless is an understatement.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#13 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:37 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

Yeah. There are no stakes here. I'm not sure I see the point.

Exactly, what are they trying to achieve is my question. Just spicing up the middle of the season, with a random tournament which has no real stakes? It seems rather pointless to me.
Why so serious?
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#14 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:41 am

If it's all about shortening the season, but trying to maintain the revenue involved, then simply shorten the regular season and extend the playoffs to include 10 teams from each conference and add an additional round.

Does it dilute the playoffs slightly? Perhaps, at least in the initial rounds, but the playoffs in itself, regardless of the match up garners way more interest among fans, and players actually try in the playoffs. And with the extended playoffs, it gives lesser teams the opportunity for more upsets possibly.
Why so serious?
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#15 » by bearadonisdna » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:41 am

Seems like a pipe dream.
It will be really hard to run a league with a lot of schedule uncertainty.
The nba knows who will be playing where in April and March.

Return to Chicago Bulls