ImageImageImageImage

Khem Birch shoots threes and talks in third person

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Khem Birch shoots threes and talks in third person 

Post#1 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:45 pm

https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2019/09/04/orlando-magic-forward-khem-birch-is-an-endorsement-for-playing-for-canada.html
Orlando Magic forward Khem Birch is an endorsement for playing for Canada

While the narrative of Canada's FIBA World Cup outing has been about the players who aren't here, Khem Birch would love to be part of a great story about players who are.

A three-point shooting, ball-handling endorsement for suiting up for his country.

The 26-year-old from Montreal and Cory Joseph are Canada's only NBA players in China. And while the Canadians' hopes of advancing were snuffed out with a loss Tuesday to Lithuania, Birch said the trip has been worth it.

"Great experience," Birch said after practice Wednesday. "Championship-level coaching and lots of confidence. I'm doing things I have never done in the NBA. That's what a lot of guys don't understand. Coach (Nick) Nurse gives you the confidence and freedom to do basically everything you want in the system you have here. I'm lucky."

What kinds of things?

"Shooting threes in the game. Dribbling the ball. Post-ups," Birch said.

The six-foot-nine Orlando Magic forward is handling the ball more than he ever has in his career.

"Yes, exactly," Birch said. "Coach Nurse gives you the freedom to do that stuff. A lot of guys say they want to stay home and work on their games, but there is no better way to do that than in an actual game and I'm doing that right now."

Nurse, who assumed the Canadian team job less than a month after leading the Toronto Raptors to the NBA championship, said it's crucial that players like Birch enjoy their time with the national team.

"Now that we only have a couple (NBA players) left, yeah, those guys have to have a positive experience," Nurse said. "I hope most of the guys I coach feel like they're learning something or have a positive experience or all of them. That's what we try to do. Make them better players and further their knowledge of the game and, as I always say, increase their value in the marketplace."

Some players are dissuaded from playing for the national program by their agents or professional teams. But Birch made up his own mind to commit to Canada.

"I let Khem Birch dictate what he wants to do and Khem Birch decided to play for his country because I want to go to the Olympics," he said — referring to himself in the third person eight times in an interview. "Regardless of whether I was fourth string, fifth string, third string I was going to come here and represent my country.

"Luckily for me no-one showed up and I'm starting," he said in reference to Canada's NBA no-shows. "Unfortunately we didn't advance and now we have to take another route to the Olympics."

Birch averaged 4.8 points and 3.8 points in 12.9 minutes a game with Orlando last season. But his decision to play for Canada this summer when so many of his Canadian NBA colleagues opted out wasn't just about the Magic.

"I'm doing it for my career and basically for 29 other teams just because in this business you never know," he said. "I'm trying to be the most complete basketball player I can be — that's what I'm trying to achieve."

How's his body holding up after seven exhibition games and two World Cup games on three continents?

"Obviously I'm sore but that is the nature of basketball," Birch said. "Right now I would probably be sore in Orlando working out with those other guys and not playing games. So this is a good kind of sore and I can't wait to get back on the court (Thursday, when Canada plays Senegal in its final preliminary-round game)."

After Canada's game against Senegal, the team heads to Shanghai for two important classification games. Canada needs a strong finish to earn a spot in one of four second-chance Olympic qualifying tournaments next June.

With the disappointing turnout of NBA players this summer, it remains to be seen who suits up next year. Will Birch reach out to anyone in a recruiting effort?

"I only dictate what goes on in Khem Birch's career," he said.

Count Birch in though.

"I'm not worried about other guys," he said. "But regardless, I know I'm going to show up."

Is this a jab at Cliff or am I just bored?
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Re: Khem Birch shoots threes and talks in third person 

Post#2 » by Xatticus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:55 pm

Spoiler:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2019/09/04/orlando-magic-forward-khem-birch-is-an-endorsement-for-playing-for-canada.html

While the narrative of Canada's FIBA World Cup outing has been about the players who aren't here, Khem Birch would love to be part of a great story about players who are.

A three-point shooting, ball-handling endorsement for suiting up for his country.

The 26-year-old from Montreal and Cory Joseph are Canada's only NBA players in China. And while the Canadians' hopes of advancing were snuffed out with a loss Tuesday to Lithuania, Birch said the trip has been worth it.

"Great experience," Birch said after practice Wednesday. "Championship-level coaching and lots of confidence. I'm doing things I have never done in the NBA. That's what a lot of guys don't understand. Coach (Nick) Nurse gives you the confidence and freedom to do basically everything you want in the system you have here. I'm lucky."

What kinds of things?

The six-foot-nine Orlando Magic forward is handling the ball more than he ever has in his career.

"Yes, exactly," Birch said. "Coach Nurse gives you the freedom to do that stuff. A lot of guys say they want to stay home and work on their games, but there is no better way to do that than in an actual game and I'm doing that right now."

Nurse, who assumed the Canadian team job less than a month after leading the Toronto Raptors to the NBA championship, said it's crucial that players like Birch enjoy their time with the national team.

"Now that we only have a couple (NBA players) left, yeah, those guys have to have a positive experience," Nurse said. "I hope most of the guys I coach feel like they're learning something or have a positive experience or all of them. That's what we try to do. Make them better players and further their knowledge of the game and, as I always say, increase their value in the marketplace."

Some players are dissuaded from playing for the national program by their agents or professional teams. But Birch made up his own mind to commit to Canada.

"I let Khem Birch dictate what he wants to do and Khem Birch decided to play for his country because I want to go to the Olympics," he said — referring to himself in the third person eight times in an interview. "Regardless of whether I was fourth string, fifth string, third string I was going to come here and represent my country.

"Luckily for me no-one showed up and I'm starting," he said in reference to Canada's NBA no-shows. "Unfortunately we didn't advance and now we have to take another route to the Olympics."

Birch averaged 4.8 points and 3.8 points in 12.9 minutes a game with Orlando last season. But his decision to play for Canada this summer when so many of his Canadian NBA colleagues opted out wasn't just about the Magic.

"I'm doing it for my career and basically for 29 other teams just because in this business you never know," he said. "I'm trying to be the most complete basketball player I can be — that's what I'm trying to achieve."

How's his body holding up after seven exhibition games and two World Cup games on three continents?

"Obviously I'm sore but that is the nature of basketball," Birch said. "Right now I would probably be sore in Orlando working out with those other guys and not playing games. So this is a good kind of sore and I can't wait to get back on the court (Thursday, when Canada plays Senegal in its final preliminary-round game)."

After Canada's game against Senegal, the team heads to Shanghai for two important classification games. Canada needs a strong finish to earn a spot in one of four second-chance Olympic qualifying tournaments next June.

With the disappointing turnout of NBA players this summer, it remains to be seen who suits up next year. Will Birch reach out to anyone in a recruiting effort?

Count Birch in though.

"I'm not worried about other guys," he said. "But regardless, I know I'm going to show up."

I'd say there is something in there, but I don't think that's really news. His departure from Pitt was acrimonious and he dropped hints that he wasn't pleased with his role last year.

He wouldn't have returned for two years at $6M if he had garnered any interest this summer. There just isn't any demand for 6'8" centers with limited range and no positional versatility.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,789

Post#3 » by RookieStar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:36 pm

What is his height? You say 6'8? The article says 6'9? The magic org says 6'10?

Is this the summer of " player X gains a couple of inches? "
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#4 » by Bensational » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:37 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Spoiler:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2019/09/04/orlando-magic-forward-khem-birch-is-an-endorsement-for-playing-for-canada.html

What kinds of things?

Count Birch in though.

I'd say there is something in there, but I don't think that's really news. His departure from Pitt was acrimonious and he dropped hints that he wasn't pleased with his role last year.

He wouldn't have returned for two years at $6M if he had garnered any interest this summer. There just isn't any demand for 6'8" centers with limited range and no positional versatility.

It's gonna be harder for Birch to expand his game with us when he's competing with Mo for minutes off the bench. But if he could shoot 3's and handle the ball then I'd imagine Cliff would love to slide him straight into Vuc's role off the bench - but Cliff clearly doesn't trust those aspects of Birch's game, yet.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#5 » by Knightro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:26 am

I can't begin to express how much I hope this Khem Birch speaking in the third person thing continues into the regular season.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#6 » by basketballRob » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:48 am

RookieStar wrote:What is his height? You say 6'8? The article says 6'9? The magic org says 6'10?

He's 6'7.5" without shoes

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#7 » by fendilim » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:24 am

ive been watching him play in the world cup.

he is putting up nice numbers, but i think he is being delusional if he thinks he will be able to execute those “post moves” he is referring to in the NBA. its nice to have those tricks in the bag, though.

He is getting to do a lot more for his team in the world cup, but there is no way he can do this in the nba, as efficient as he is doing it in this tournament. i really doubt it.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,403

Post#8 » by GelbeWand09 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:29 am

With all respect for Nurse but i've seen some Canada games at the wc. I'm happy we dont play like that tbh lol. They shot like 40 threes in 40 min games. They took so many bad trey's, it was almost absurd. Against germany they fell back big because of it, when they finally started to drive to the hoop, the game went close. That 7 footer Wiltjer missed like 9 treys in a row and some of them where step back & fadeaway 3's lol
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#9 » by Xatticus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:44 am

basketballRob wrote:
RookieStar wrote:What is his height? You say 6'8? The article says 6'9? The magic org says 6'10?

He's 6'7.5" without shoes

This.

He measured 6'7.5" without shoes at the NBA combine. I rounded up, but that is the same height as Aaron Gordon. That's really short for a guy that can't share the floor with a traditional big.

I like Birch, but he is never going to get a significant commitment from an NBA franchise unless his game evolves substantially.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#10 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:57 pm

Don’t forget the 46 pounds of PURE MUSCLE in 6 months. :roll:
#2A
#Adopt
Popsicle1228
Junior
And1: 326

Post#11 » by Popsicle1228 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Popsicle1228 loves some Khem Birch, but Popsicle1228 also thinks that Khem Birch is overratting his ability to be "NBA" efficient from range.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#12 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Khem Birch thinks Khem Birch's height makes Khem Birch's effectiveness over Bamba even more impressive.
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#13 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Knightro wrote:I can't begin to express how much I hope this Khem Birch speaking in the third person thing continues into the regular season.

Me too. He needs to be the guy they interview after games. I like him more now. :lol:
#2A
#Adopt
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#14 » by fendilim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:04 am

Why is this thread out of forum layout
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#15 » by pepe1991 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:38 am

Bro ,Khem shooting broke this thread :rofl:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#16 » by basketballRob » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:30 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:Khem Birch thinks Khem Birch's height makes Khem Birch's effectiveness over Bamba even more impressive.
You guys are so tough on rookies. Mo will be the same age as Vuc was in his rookie year, this year. Vuc shot 45% and scored 5 ppg.

Birch will be 27 this month.

Return to Orlando Magic