ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,305

Re: Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year? 

Post#101 » by TOStateofMind » Sun Sep 8, 2019 11:22 pm

Its still the raptors by a large margin. Like mentioned we really may never see them win again for who knows how long. With Bianca it's not hard to see her win it again.
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,934

Post#102 » by EH15 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 11:31 pm

You guys are still fighting over this RealGM award?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#103 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:03 am

Salted Meat wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Anticon wrote:Raptors brought the country together, that alone puts them first.

But a 19 year old winning the US Open? And the first Canadian to do so? Over Serena Williams? Along with a 45-4 record this year. Huge story.

There was nothing Canadian about the Raptors though. None of the key personnel on the team (players, coaches, or managers) were Canadian. I think Bianca will take it for this reason.

Larry Tanenbaum isn't Canadian?

Key personnel who contributed to the championship run.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#104 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:05 am

TOStateofMind wrote:Its still the raptors by a large margin. Like mentioned we really may never see them win again for who knows how long. With Bianca it's not hard to see her win it again.

It's not a matter of whether she will win another title or not. It's the fact that she's the first Canadian in history to win a grand slam.
WildWolfdog
Junior
And1: 293

Post#105 » by WildWolfdog » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:06 am

raptor jesus wrote:1. World Jrs team gets off bus wearing suits
2. Someone does 360 in Pinty's Curling Skins Game
14. Toronto Raptors win NBA title

Lmao :lol:
Coming on RealGm reminds me how much I hate our **** up annoying tweener "the sky falls everyday in Raptorland" fanbase.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,645

Post#106 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Sep 9, 2019 5:04 am

Having trouble deciding whether the Raps Championship run deserves Canadian sports story of the year over Bianca bringing home our first ever grandslam... What a great problem to have. How far we have come!
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#107 » by Lukeem » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:30 pm

gp2015 wrote:
Lukeem wrote:Us open equivalent to eastern conference finals ?

Along with Wimbledon, U.S Open is the biggest tournament in tennis.

Similar to winning the Masters in golf.

I don’t think anyone believes us open is equal to Wimbledon do they ?

Rolland garros and Austrian open are pretty much on a level playing field as us open and even if some consider them slightly below, they are closer to us open than us open is to Wimbledon
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#108 » by Lukeem » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:33 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
TOStateofMind wrote:Its still the raptors by a large margin. Like mentioned we really may never see them win again for who knows how long. With Bianca it's not hard to see her win it again.

It's not a matter of whether she will win another title or not. It's the fact that she's the first Canadian in history to win a grand slam.

Sports story of the year... all the Jurassic parks popping up was more of a story than the us open, almost any other year bianca would be a heavy favourite the raptors run was just a massive story with too many moments
Jer15Jer
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#109 » by Jer15Jer » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:52 pm

It's not even close and I'm a big tennis fan. Think of the impact the Raptor run had on the country vs Bianca's win. The whole country was galvanized over the team.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#110 » by will » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:24 pm

Raps 'chip THE Canadian sports story of the year.
Bianca represented and did her thang - Raps are THE story.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,120

Post#111 » by gp2015 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:59 am

Lukeem wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
Lukeem wrote:Us open equivalent to eastern conference finals ?

Rolland garros and Austrian open are pretty much on a level playing field as us open and even if some consider them slightly below, they are closer to us open than us open is to Wimbledon

In terms of prestige, I think it goes 1. Wimbleton 2. US Open. 3. AO/FO. I meant it more as Wimbleton and US Open are the top two majors in tennis but not necessarily equal.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 504

Post#112 » by tosi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:57 am

Bianca because its more of a Canadian story.
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,799

Post#113 » by RyderMike » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:12 am

Where the Raps have an advantage is the length of the run. People followed Bianca with her Rogers Cup and US Oppen wins, but more towards the end of each tournament (the final rounds) which is only a few days. The Raps held attention for a couple of months due to the nature of the playoffs.

On the other hand, Bianca has recency bias on her side. Raptors fever has died down especially with Kawhi gone. Heck, Leafs with the Marner contract situation is getting more attention than the defending champs
AreBe
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,472

Post#114 » by AreBe » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:26 pm

The hockey myth industry (Never mind your TFS and RRSP make your kid a multi millionaire and cash out then! You need coaching, and camps, and all sorts of hockey tournaments. Fees, fees and fees is what makes hockey so important to us all!!) is challenged by basketball, unlike tennis, so I think tennis wins.
Holy Moses! Take a look! Flesh decayed in every nook! Some rare bits of brain lie here, Mortal loads of beef and beer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_McKittrick_Ros
idonk
Junior
And1: 245

Post#115 » by idonk » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:36 pm

What does whether raps or bianca will win again have to do with this award? its about what was accomplished in 2019. The future has no bearing on this year's winner
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#116 » by LLJ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:56 pm

gp2015 wrote:
Lukeem wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

In terms of prestige, I think it goes 1. Wimbleton 2. US Open. 3. AO/FO. I meant it more as Wimbleton and US Open are the top two majors in tennis but not necessarily equal.

All the majors have the same competition, it's not like some top people sit one out in favour of another lol. At this point it's all about number of majors a person wins rather than winning THE major.

Wimbledon is the most famous because of its history, and how it's referenced so often in pop culture when talking tennis, but at the end of the day, prestige is about level of competition and all the majors are equally important. US Open is second oldest, French Open 3rd, then Austalian Open 4th. In general their prestige lines up with how long they've been around.
rapswestofthe6
Senior
And1: 802

Post#117 » by rapswestofthe6 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:19 am

gp2015 wrote:
Lukeem wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Wimbledon was established in 1877, the US open was established in 1881, the French in 1891 and the Aussie open in 1905. All the majors are important but I would say the prestige would be ranked the same as the year they were established. Wimblelton 1, US Open 2, French 3 and Aussie 4.

In over a 100 years no Canadian man, or woman has won one of these majors until Bianca. What she did was pretty special given our lack of success to date. I wouldn't be bothered if either the Raptors or Bianca's win won the award. One was won by a Canadian, the other brought the country together.
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#118 » by whoknows » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:27 am

Since there is no Canadian in the Raptors team, it is hard to not give Bibi's win the Canadian story of the year.
She also has a chance to be followed by a lot more Canadians then Raptors, now that she is popular.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,120

Post#119 » by gp2015 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:32 am

whoknows wrote:Since there is no Canadian in the Raptors team, it is hard to not give Bibi's win the Canadian story of the year.
She also has a chance to be followed by a lot more Canadians then Raptors, now that she is popular.

Boucher is Canadian.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,814

Post#120 » by TheRealDeal » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:01 am

whoknows wrote:Since there is no Canadian in the Raptors team, it is hard to not give Bibi's win the Canadian story of the year.

I've never understood this mentality. It doesn't matter if the players are Canadian. The **** TEAM is Canadian. Have some pride in your damn city

Return to Toronto Raptors