ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1361 » by 31to6 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 6:46 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Offseason rule of thumb: Believe every positive thing you hear about the Celtics. Any skepticism and negative thing is wrong.

Read on Twitter

Grant Williams is basically the authority on Gordon Hayward so this is great to hear.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Bostonic33
Sophomore
And1: 262

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1362 » by Bostonic33 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:15 am

It appears there is a fine line between offensive rebounding and defense. If you get caught behind trying to snag an offensive rebound and don't get it... then the other team may get an easy transition basket. I always thought Boston's lack of offensive rebounding was by design... it was more important to have five guys back on defense so the other team never get easy baskets.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#1363 » by ParticleMan » Sat Sep 7, 2019 7:53 am

That was true during Doc's tenure, he made the choice to focus on getting back on D because of our lack of team speed and old age. We wanted to force a half court game. I don't think that's true now, Brad prefers uptempo. We just haven't had many good offensive rebounders. Theis has been our best recently and he is mediocre. We've never had anyone of Kanter's caliber in recent years.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,905

Post#1364 » by Parliament10 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 5:27 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,905

Post#1365 » by Parliament10 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 7:44 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1366 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:41 am

Here's a good hype piece on Zach LaVine, who I wanted Boston to inquire about: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/9/5/20849626/zach-lavine-nba-scoring-champ
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,688

Post#1367 » by GoCeltics123 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 10:23 pm

Read on Twitter
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,057

Post#1368 » by Shak_Celts » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:36 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Grant was there too, that's his back. Poor Cs rookies are always there but it's always about Tacko. They have been busy doing Cs rookie events/outings and people only wanna see and know about Tacko. :) I remember they went to meet soccer players (IIRC, coulda been Hockey or baseball because they have done it all), one player came to speak and do the photo and he spoke to Tacko and became memorized by his size that he didn't really look at Grant and almost didn't acknowledge he was there, it was like he was thinking "okay fan, backup I'm here for the giant." I'm glad this crop seems like mature dudes and hopefully it doesn't get to them. They all seem to really like each other and Grant and Tacko appear to be very close.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,873

Post#1369 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:19 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Here's a good hype piece on Zach LaVine, who I wanted Boston to inquire about: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/9/5/20849626/zach-lavine-nba-scoring-champ

Why?

Jason Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Gordon Hayward are all better than Zach LaVine.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#1370 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:19 am

Celts17Pride wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Here's a good hype piece on Zach LaVine, who I wanted Boston to inquire about: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/9/5/20849626/zach-lavine-nba-scoring-champ

Why?

He really sucks on defense, doesn't he, Zach does?
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1371 » by 100proof » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:

Why?

was last seasons Gordon Hayward better than Zach Lavine?
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,265

Post#1372 » by brackdan70 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:38 pm

100proof wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

Why?

Yes
Sign here
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1373 » by cloverleaf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
100proof wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Why?

Yes

The LaVine argument seems does he show the signs of emerging this year as one of the league's high scorers. Something of a limited but interesting outlook.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,671

Post#1374 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:02 am

ParticleMan wrote:That was true during Doc's tenure, he made the choice to focus on getting back on D because of our lack of team speed and old age. We wanted to force a half court game. I don't think that's true now, Brad prefers uptempo. We just haven't had many good offensive rebounders. Theis has been our best recently and he is mediocre. We've never had anyone of Kanter's caliber in recent years.

I'd say that a lot depends on the quality of the offensive rebounding. The logic behind conceding the rebound would be to ensure that you have a 5-4 advantage on defense on transition rather than 4-4 equality. But if the offensive rebounder is good enough to force the offense to keep 2-3 players back instead of 1, then you end up with a similar numbers advantage as you have in the "concede" case, plus some chance at getting the ball.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,648

Post#1375 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:54 am

Read on Twitter

Expect the honeymoon period to end... in 8 years after 4 championships and 7 Finals appearances.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1376 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:08 am

cloverleaf wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
100proof wrote:

Yes

The LaVine argument seems does he show the signs of emerging this year as one of the league's high scorers. Something of a limited but interesting outlook.

I was interested in him in the window before we had a commitment from Kemba. We could’ve fit LaVine and Capela under the cap with minimal adjustment - it would’ve been a different, younger play.

Is he “worse” than our current group? It depends on what you think of his upside and his scoring ability - he’s effectively a near-elite scorer already, he’s young and hard working.. His awareness on both sides of the ball is garbage, apart from some minor growth as a playmaker last year. What was James Harden at the same age?
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,017

Post#1377 » by fallguy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:23 am

Soon I'm going to be spending a lot of my time with you jerks.

Enjoy the last three weeks of the offseason everyone.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1378 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:35 am

Danny’s talking trades - https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/will-trader-danny-ainge-be-more-active-season-celtics :

Well aware of the team’s depth at the wing and dearth of proven talent in the frontcourt, Ainge admits that he might have to move one of his wings in order to shore up the team’s frontcourt.

“So the question is, do you trade for need or do you trade for talent?” Ainge said. “Because I think we have some really talented wings. And we have some uncertainty at the 4 [power forward] and the 5 [center]. So, let’s hope our fours and fives can play as well as we hope they can and we can keep our talented wings because we need a lot of them.”

Ainge knows trading players is a reality that comes with the job.

That doesn’t make it any easier, though.

“I invest a lot emotionally with the kids … trading is hard,” Ainge said. “Trading a player that you drafted, that you develop a relationship with, root for every second, get to know their families, that’s really hard. That’s a really hard process. But that’s just part of the job. It’s a hard job and that’s the hardest part of it, is trading away players. But ultimately we have to do what’s best.”
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1379 » by 100proof » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:19 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Danny’s talking trades - https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/will-trader-danny-ainge-be-more-active-season-celtics :

Well aware of the team’s depth at the wing and dearth of proven talent in the frontcourt, Ainge admits that he might have to move one of his wings in order to shore up the team’s frontcourt.

“So the question is, do you trade for need or do you trade for talent?” Ainge said. “Because I think we have some really talented wings. And we have some uncertainty at the 4 [power forward] and the 5 [center]. So, let’s hope our fours and fives can play as well as we hope they can and we can keep our talented wings because we need a lot of them.”

“I invest a lot emotionally with the kids … trading is hard,” Ainge said. “Trading a player that you drafted, that you develop a relationship with, root for every second, get to know their families, that’s really hard. That’s a really hard process. But that’s just part of the job. It’s a hard job and that’s the hardest part of it, is trading away players. But ultimately we have to do what’s best.”

******Warning incoming purely speculative post

If he trades a wing Hayward is his first choice as he is not really a kid, has not been drafted by danny nor has he been rooted for every second of his career.
GotDaSauce
RealGM
And1: 9,681

Post#1380 » by GotDaSauce » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:55 pm

100proof wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Danny’s talking trades - https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/will-trader-danny-ainge-be-more-active-season-celtics :

******Warning incoming purely speculative post

If he trades a wing Hayward is his first choice as he is not really a kid, has not been drafted by danny nor has he been rooted for every second of his career.

It's 100% Jaylen and that's why he goes into how hard it is to trade one of our drafted players.
That's if anybody gets traded at all.

Return to Boston Celtics