ImageImageImage

FIBA World Cup

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,941

Re: FIBA World Cup 

Post#1361 » by Parliament10 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
keevsnick1 wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
In a row. Kemba should not have been in there he was terrible! The lone quarter we won was when Pop put JB at the 5 against Gobert! JB was killing it on D and DM on offense! Just terrible coaching to keep Kemba out there and never going back to JB as the small ball 5. Ugh!

Ya what happened was Jaylen did eventually go back in but then France went on a run and he got pulled with about 3 minutes left. Thing was the run had nothing to do with brown, it was because Kemba and Micthell decided to play hero ball. There were like 5 possessions in a row where those guys got the ball with NO intention to pas. It hurt us.

But he wasn't the 5, Barnes was. That was a key difference of the 2 quarters we lost and the tie in the 1st. Kemba though, yikes! Just went total iso tank us hard out there.

Yeah, Kemba can't be doing that for the Celtics. As we see, it doesn't work.
Team Shamrock has gained some Camaraderie out of this.

Hopefully the learning translates into a good Training for the Celts.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,941

Post#1362 » by Parliament10 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:31 pm

CelticsLV wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:Does kemba have a lower basketball iq than Jaylen? Holy **** he played like a dumb ass this game

That's his game. Just go out there and score. Beyond that he provides not much else. Imagine IT4 but with worse efficiency, that's Walker.

I hope that Brad uses this, and covers that weakness.
Walker Hero Ball, doesn't work as a last resort.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,099

Post#1363 » by Shak_Celts » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:38 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
keevsnick1 wrote:
Ya what happened was Jaylen did eventually go back in but then France went on a run and he got pulled with about 3 minutes left. Thing was the run had nothing to do with brown, it was because Kemba and Micthell decided to play hero ball. There were like 5 possessions in a row where those guys got the ball with NO intention to pas. It hurt us.

But he wasn't the 5, Barnes was. That was a key difference of the 2 quarters we lost and the tie in the 1st. Kemba though, yikes! Just went total iso tank us hard out there.

Ya I don't know that who played the five was the difference. The bigger issue was the offense, there seemed to be no plan.

For sure that was a big problem too (man Kemba) but Fournier and Gobert (Nita... w/e) started to roll in the 4th again because the perimeter D was not what it was in the 3rd. That was stifled in the 3rd. Kemba was a key poor factor of that terrible defense too, forget his train wreck offense.

I don't really blame Kemba, everyone has their bad games but Pop leaving him out there just dumbfounded me! I think of him as the best coach but that was some horrible coaching. He made a few subs but didn't even think of taking out Kemba. Mitchell was bad but they took him off ball in exchange for Kemba isos.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,099

Post#1364 » by Shak_Celts » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:45 pm

Turgon wrote:That was unexpected. But nobody should draw many conclusions from these games. The small differences on the rule set turn this into a completely different game.

There are no star calls, no defensive 3-second violations, there's a different 3 point line. Besides, it's a recently assembled team playing against long established teams (featuring many NBA players), it's perfectly normal to resort to iso plays when things aren't going well. And it's a single elimination game, not a series.

Kemba played horribly but anybody can have a bad day. No reason to panic because of that.

I agree with everything except the iso part, we were humming along up until Kemba went iso crazy. The flow went into hiding then and there. Why was Mitchell off ball so much after the game he was having? What was Pop telling them, did they ignore him?
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#1365 » by GregB » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:48 pm

Kemba and Joe Harris shouldn’t have seen the court again. Marcus and Jaylen with Donovan Mitchell really changed the game in third and early 4th.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1366 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Not really bothered by the loss— to be honest, the thing that annoys me most is knowing that LeBron will now be able to ‘white knight’ the US team and ‘save us’ for the olympics...

All I cares about in this tournament was seeing boosted chemistry and tangible growth from our players. Tatum displayed much improved playmaking/passing before his injury. He also attacked the hell out of the rim. Jaylen showed increased positional versatility, more consistent defense and an improved attacking ability. He also flashed some better passing vision. Smart showed that he’s one of the more versatile defenders in the NBA, improving vs big men. He also showed a nifty ability to attack off the dribble. Kemba showed that he was willing to step back and let others score instead of pressing for an entire game [he had a bad game vs France but it doesnt override his overall performance for 10 games now]. All Celtics players also appeared to genuinely e joy each other and that chemistry should greatly help next year.

Overall, I got everything I wanted out of this tournament— it gave me summer basketball, our players improved and we built chemistry. I couldnt give two **** that a team with zero bigs and one PG couldnt win a medal.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,842

Post#1367 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Celtics contingent still alive in the tourney.

Read on Twitter
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#1368 » by 3D Chess » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:30 pm

It's official - Australia >> US & A.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#1369 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Like I said above, absolutely no reason Tatum should come back now. Hell, Kemba should be shut down too, along with Mitchell; who cares about 5th place? Play Plumlee and White 40 minutes and call it a tourney.

Plus, there's a game tomorrow; a B2B for 5th place too? Eff that. Move on.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,842

Post#1370 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Yeah, is USA not making the semis really any better than the Philippines finishing 32nd among 32 countries? Makes you think.
yeahM8
Starter
And1: 3,682

Post#1371 » by yeahM8 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:43 pm

kemba + picks for patty mills.

can we please get baynes back too via some sort of sorcery while we are at it.

also may as well trade all of our wings for ingles.

and pick up goulding delly and bogut for half a lobster roll.

and there we have it. a world championship team.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1372 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:57 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:Like I said above, absolutely no reason Tatum should come back now. Hell, Kemba should be shut down too, along with Mitchell; who cares about 5th place? Play Plumlee and White 40 minutes and call it a tourney.

Plus, there's a game tomorrow; a B2B for 5th place too? Eff that. Move on.

Tatum busted his ass for 8+ weeks to be here and play with his friends. If he wants to give it a go, he should.
itsme23
Rookie
And1: 1,064

Post#1373 » by itsme23 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:05 pm

Team US Celtics choke once again.
GoCeltics123
RealGM

Post#1374 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:13 pm

itsme23 wrote:Team US Celtics choke once again.

Hey bud where's Kawhi? Is he still a Raptor?

Awwwwwww
itsme23
Rookie
And1: 1,064

Post#1375 » by itsme23 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:20 pm

2019 champs baby.

You guys lost your Kyle Lowry with Horford.

But sure Enes can make it up.

Tatum a stud, keeping getting those DNPs.
GoCeltics123
RealGM

Post#1376 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:23 pm

itsme23 wrote:Tatum a stud, keeping getting those DNPs.

Couldn't even quote me huh?

He's hurt kiddo. Missed the last 4 games with a sprained ankle. If you're going to slander our team, might as well put in the research first :lol:
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#1377 » by sam_I_am » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:24 pm

StojkoVrankovic wrote:These guys should be embarrassed

I refuse to buy into this narrative. Yes, the team had a spirited comeback only to blow it with 6 missed FTs by Celtics. However, this tournament was a lot like NCAA tourney. Anybody could win. Nobody had a dominant talent edge. US didn’t even send a top 25 player.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1378 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:26 pm

itsme23 wrote:Team US Celtics choke once again.

Reported for trolling. Given your user history, I’m guessing I wont see you for another 7 days or so.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#1379 » by Banks2Pierce » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Kemba was awful from the very first play. Not sure if it was illness related, Ntilikina/Albicy's D, just being off or a combination of the three.

None of the bigs being able to competently defend high in the pick and roll a killer ultimately. Brook Lopez and Middleton's shots going AWOL not helpful either. Barnes and Jaylen as the bigs and we couldn't get some big boards and had no competent protection at the rim.

Smart/Jaylen huge in the 3rd quarter comeback(along with Mitchell, obviously) and then both had big flubs in the 4th. Jaylen's probably after the game was decided. Smart's just dumb luck.

Joe Harris being underwhelming on D early on set an early tone for the game that we only temporarily pushed back against. Got Never Google in a groove early. Not a huge fan of how Pop's rotations always involved Jaylen/Smart/Derrick White together. Thought the Jaylen/Smart/Mitchell trio looked incredible and should've played more together all tourney.

Oh well, I was hyped during the run.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1380 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Banks2Pierce wrote:Kemba was awful from the very first play. Not sure if it was illness related, Ntilikina/Albicy's D, just being off or a combination of the three.

None of the bigs being able to competently defend high in the pick and roll a killer ultimately. Brook Lopez and Middleton's shots going AWOL not helpful either. Barnes and Jaylen as the bigs and we couldn't get some big boards and had no competent protection at the rim.

Smart/Jaylen huge in the 3rd quarter comeback(along with Mitchell, obviously) and then both had big flubs in the 4th. Jaylen's probably after the game was decided. Smart's just dumb luck.

Joe Harris being underwhelming on D early on set an early tone for the game that we only temporarily pushed back against. Got Never Google in a groove early. Not a huge fan of how Pop's rotations always involved Jaylen/Smart/Derrick White together. Thought the Jaylen/Smart/Mitchell trio looked incredible and should've played more together all tourney.

Oh well, I was hyped during the run.

Just google imaged him and now I understand the nickname. Puke.

Return to Boston Celtics