Image ImageImage Image

K.C. Johnson new NBC Sports Chicago Bulls Insider

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,756

K.C. Johnson new NBC Sports Chicago Bulls Insider 

Post#1 » by Jcool0 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:44 am

kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,793

Re: K.C. Johnson new NBC Sports Chicago Bulls Insider 

Post#2 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:50 am

He isn't the best, and sometimes he is a little soft when it comes to being critical of the Bulls organisation, but overall I've never disliked him as a reporter. However, it would be preferable if he was a little more frank when it comes to critisim and not sitting on details due to him protecting relationships, though I do understand why he has.
Why so serious?
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Post#3 » by weneeda2guard » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:41 am

He is a good reporter

But insider?

Bwahahahahaha
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,376

Post#4 » by DuckIII » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:41 am

Interesting that they dub him an insider. I wonder if he will report with more of an edge now. A lot of fans seemingly wanted KC to be a columnist more and a beat reporter less. But a beat reporter is what he was, and he was very, very good at it. Maybe now we’ll get more “columnist” KC.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#5 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:58 am

It's interesting how much flack K.C. gets on here, but it's very obvious that he's well respected among his peers. He's getting an outpouring of congratulatory tweets.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,852

Post#6 » by nomorezorro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:05 am

i definitely think he got an unfair rap sometimes, but as far as him being a 'good beat reporter'...i dunno what he really offered over any other person with access to media scrums and bulls pr emails.

national guys normally beat him to major transactions, we have confirmed evidence he sat on one of the most explosive stories of his tenure here, he rarely did anything particularly creative afforded to him by his access. the biggest thing in his favor was...he didn't sensationalize anything? he seemed like a nice and sensible guy? i dunno
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
nomorezorro
RealGM

Post#7 » by nomorezorro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:10 am

i will say: i definitely don't have a ton of faith in the tribune's ability to improve its bulls coverage now that kc is gone

prove me wrong, crappy corporate newspaper overlords!
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#8 » by rtblues » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:46 am

Since the Tribune blocks it's content outside of the USA, I haven't kept up with his writing.
I realize a VPN would allow me to read it, but, since the guy never, ever, not once, "broke" one story ever,
I don't bother. Unlike WOJ or Shams who actually break stories and news, or Ramona S who does in-depth feature
stories, K.C. writes wrap-ups after the fact. Wrap-ups that are certain not to offend Gar-Pax or offend any Bull, afraid
he may lose "access". The white-bread of NBA reporting. Curious if he changes now.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,344

Post#9 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:11 pm

DuckIII wrote:Interesting that they dub him an insider. I wonder if he will report with more of an edge now. A lot of fans seemingly wanted KC to be a columnist more and a beat reporter less. But a beat reporter is what he was, and he was very, very good at it. Maybe now we’ll get more “columnist” KC.

He may need to be more of an analyst just given the role, but at the Trib he was ostensibly independent of the Bulls org; at NBCSN, he'll be working for a business partner of the Bulls, so I'm not sure he'll be freed up considerably.
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#10 » by Ben Wilson25 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:28 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Interesting that they dub him an insider. I wonder if he will report with more of an edge now. A lot of fans seemingly wanted KC to be a columnist more and a beat reporter less. But a beat reporter is what he was, and he was very, very good at it. Maybe now we’ll get more “columnist” KC.

He may need to be more of an analyst just given the role, but at the Trib he was ostensibly independent of the Bulls org; at NBCSN, he'll be working for a business partner of the Bulls, so I'm not sure he'll be freed up considerably.

Reinsdorf owns a controlling interest in NBCSN. KC is just a lackey on the payroll now.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,624

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:00 am

I have always loved KC Johnson. He's been my favorite beat reporter / personality covering the Bulls for as long as I have watched them.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#12 » by TheStig » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:18 am

What good is an insider if he sits on the good stuff?
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#13 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 am

TheStig wrote:What good is an insider if he sits on the good stuff?

That's definition of KC if anyone asked me.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,372

Post#14 » by Dominator83 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:32 am

kulaz3000 wrote:He isn't the best, and sometimes he is a little soft when it comes to being critical of the Bulls organisation, but overall I've never disliked him as a reporter. However, it would be preferable if he was a little more frank when it comes to critisim and not sitting on details due to him protecting relationships, though I do understand why he has.

Well, he did call out Gar at a press conference about the championship team reference he used when hiring Fred
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
nomorezorro
RealGM

Post#15 » by nomorezorro » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:21 am

KC was the best we had by default for a while, but i think mayberry pretty easily outclasses KC in terms of turning out content as a beat reporter.

although i guess it's fair to wonder how much of that is dictated by the publications they work for rather than any individual quality as a journalist or writer
nomorezorro
RealGM

Post#16 » by nomorezorro » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:22 am

i don't know why i'm bothering to make critical posts about kc johnson online. he's a cool guy and i like when he posts about normie middle aged white dude indie rock on twitter
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,440

Post#17 » by samwana » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:26 am

rtblues wrote:Since the Tribune blocks it's content outside of the USA, I haven't kept up with his writing.
I realize a VPN would allow me to read it, but, since the guy never, ever, not once, "broke" one story ever,
I don't bother. Unlike WOJ or Shams who actually break stories and news, or Ramona S who does in-depth feature
stories, K.C. writes wrap-ups after the fact. Wrap-ups that are certain not to offend Gar-Pax or offend any Bull, afraid
he may lose "access". The white-bread of NBA reporting. Curious if he changes now.
Agreed. I never bothered too. Normally the few quotes from his articles that appear here are enough to basically know the rest of the story.
I don't dislike him, he seems nice and all, but there is no need to read him when you got realgm.
I follow him on Twitter, that's good enough for me.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 896

Post#18 » by Evil_Headband » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:39 am

TheStig wrote:What good is an insider if he sits on the good stuff?

I appreciate insight on the mundane stuff.
chitowndish
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Post#19 » by chitowndish » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:46 pm

His job title seems pretty appropriate. I always really liked KC when he was up and coming he was one of my favorite writers, then I do feel he became a mouthpiece for the org but he does provide some good insight into the thinking on moves that we couldn't really get anywhere else. I do still really value what he writes but I have to take it as only half of the story from ownership's perspective. I think we have Cowley to provide the other half of the story usually from the player perspective so if you consider both of them you can usually get a decent picture of what's going on. I'd rather have both of these guys than neither and I think they provide more value than guys that don't have access so I'm kind of glad they do what they do to have it I think they both serve the fans on the whole.
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#20 » by Ben Wilson25 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:14 pm

nomorezorro wrote:i don't know why i'm bothering to make critical posts about kc johnson online. he's a cool guy and i like when he posts about normie middle aged white dude indie rock on twitter

Same boat here. I don’t personally dislike him, he seems like a nice guy. He’s made a living following the Bulls and that’s awesome. I guess he only annoys me when I think of him as a real journalist where the job is to probe and dig and tell the stories the public wouldn’t normally hear, to question those in power and hold them accountable. He did none of that but it’s sports, it’s not that serious. He does what he needs to do to have a nice pleasant job and that’s OK.

Return to Chicago Bulls