FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 | SPAIN are new WORLD CHAMPIONS

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

kosmonauts
Freshman
And1: 27

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2781 » by kosmonauts » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Jzh wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
kosmonauts wrote:This tournament was another great example that the world has caught up (to some extent) with US. It can be argued that rules are different, but, let's be honest, starter level + 6-8th guys are not good enough to win and/or get a medal at Fiba. That is great for news for sport of basketball and I have to say, I enjoyed the balance between how balanced offense/defense is called. This rough type of Fiba basketball is exciting to watch.

Also, NBA bench guys (6-8) are better than top Euro guys, but the real difference is becoming marginal, especially in the short tournament format. About 9-12th guy on NBA roster - often it is the question of context, fit with the team, potential/age and other factors than only the skill.

Fiba just had to get their **** together - this stupid qualification system did not allow to see some truly good European teams.

We'd already seen a slapdash team of NBA players lose back in 2004. The only thing we've learned from this is that FIBA is out of control.

Whoever wins this tournament will likely celebrate it like it actually meant something, but you really can't claim to be the best unless you beat the best - and FIBA made that impossible.

Exactly this. i'm French and I couldn't careless we won that game. It will be meaningful if they score the gold but the world cup miss too much talent to mean anything.

The only upside is the direct spot to the Olympics where hopefully we'll face real team USA like in 2000.

This loss pretty much guarantees that we will see US super-star team forTokio and hopefully next WC as well.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#2782 » by Catchall » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Rudy Gobert's +/- was +26. He had 21 pts, 16 rebs, and 3 blks. He was 9/10 from the foul line.

USA thought they could guard him with Harrison Barnes. Not a good call.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,590

Post#2783 » by AK47MVP » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
kosmonauts wrote:I mean look at France's starting line-up:

Gobert was the best defensive player on the court, Fournier is a legit 18-20ppg scorer in the NBA, Batum is a solid level NBA level player, Ntilikina is an NBA caliber player and Nando De Colo is one of the best Euro league players out there who could play in the NBA. That team is almost as talented as the American starting line-up this year.

It's an upset, but I'm not shocked at all.

Not an upset and their starting lineup was more talented than USA one. Rudy is clearly the best player from both starting lineups and rest are very comparable.
The Rodzilla
Starter
And1: 2,332

Post#2784 » by The Rodzilla » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Catchall wrote:Rudy Gobert's +/- was +26. He had 21 pts, 16 rebs, and 3 blks. He was 9/10 from the foul line.

i think they thought that gobert couldnt guard barnes
Catchall
RealGM

Post#2785 » by Catchall » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:So a US team with Kemba Walker and Donvan Mitchell got beat by France team with Frank Ntilikina how sad ..... Dont send boy to do mans work i guess..We put C team out there but Kemba suppose to be some all star max type player.. Doonvan suppose to be a upcoming all star...

Mitchell is already a star. He put up 29/6/4 today on 12/23 shooting. I don't think he's the problem.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#2786 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:29 pm

The Rodzilla wrote:
Catchall wrote:Rudy Gobert's +/- was +26. He had 21 pts, 16 rebs, and 3 blks. He was 9/10 from the foul line.

Was Brad Stevens drunk??? Who would put small foward like HB on All star Center..... Um what
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#2787 » by KqWIN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:32 pm

The Rodzilla wrote:

Turner and Lopez were equally as helpless. Gobert was the best player on the court. It shouldn't surprise anyone because he's was also the best NBA player on the court.
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,281

Post#2788 » by Dacost » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 pm

The bigs were HORRIBLE this team need it defensive bigs or rim runners or just guys who do the dirty work.

Bagley
JJJ
Isaac

Mike Conley should been in this team too why didn't he get a call???Team USA disrespecting him just like the NBA.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,036

Post#2789 » by queridiculo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Team USA c-squad loses in FIBA ball, hot takes abound.

Not sure what's worse, the Giannis Antetokounmpo nonsense or this FIBA vs NBA mullarkey.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,904

Post#2790 » by G R E Y » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:37 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:What does tomorrow's game between Team USA and Serbia mean, practically speaking? Is anything on the line besides a moral victory or what?

Nothing is on the line, just 5th. place. France and Spain clinched olympics, meaning that Serbia playing for nothing, meanwhile USA and Argentina clinched so USA also playing for nothing

Ok thanks. But how does Serbia qualify now? Surely they're not out of the Olympics?
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#2791 » by MrSparkle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:37 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
cloudXXI wrote:The best thing about FIBA games. This game was 95 minutes long.

NBA games are toooooooo long

Way too long. The commercial timeouts and extended referee rituals at the end of games make me want to puke. As does the in-game entertainment during all the breaks.

So, do like me, watch euroleague :)
Of course best players are in NBA, but the basketball I love is euroleague, and some euroleague players are better than the average NBA player (ok, Nando de Colo, no one is able to know why he failed in NBA)

I was into it for a while. FIBA tournaments alway get me back into the mood..
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#2792 » by JonFromVA » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm

maradro wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

We'd already seen a slapdash team of NBA players lose back in 2004. The only thing we've learned from this is that FIBA is out of control.

Whoever wins this tournament will likely celebrate it like it actually meant something, but you really can't claim to be the best unless you beat the best - and FIBA made that impossible.

2004 team had the 03 and 01 MVPs, a couple of guys that were a year away from being all NBA, legendary coaches, and was formed specifically to avenge the 02 team (that was also much better than this team).

Your excuses are pathetic, I guess my spurs have never REALLY lost because the years they did, it was just pop and the front office not playing/signing the best possible players :rolleyes

Yeah, I guess you're right. That 2004 team was the best America had. No wonder we kept losing every year after we decided to change how the program was organized and players were recruited.

Oh, wait....

Fun fact here... I have little interest in the FIBA WC beyond following the players on my NBA team who are involved in it and they both play for international teams.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,246

Post#2793 » by UcanUwill » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:42 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:What does tomorrow's game between Team USA and Serbia mean, practically speaking? Is anything on the line besides a moral victory or what?

Nothing is on the line, just 5th. place. France and Spain clinched olympics, meaning that Serbia playing for nothing, meanwhile USA and Argentina clinched so USA also playing for nothing

Ok thanks. But how does Serbia qualify now? Surely they're not out of the Olympics?

I believe 24 teams from this cup (I think), will be split to 4 mini tournaments, and every winner will get in. Only 4 those spots are left. Argentina, USA, Spain, France, Australia, Japan, Iran, Nigeria already have 8 out of 12 spots
a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Post#2794 » by a-French-Fan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
niQ wrote:A couple months ago Woj reported that Nando De Colo was planning an NBA return.

Read on Twitter

Was hoping he would return back to the Raptors as they hold his rights but it looks like he signed with Fenerbahce.

Nando is great player, top 3 player not in the NBA. That said, he didnt have a very good game today, the whole tournament he was on par with Fournier, but FOurnier proved his superiority in this one.

I don't think it is a matter of supériority between them. It is more what they need to give the best for the team. Fournier needs the ball, needs confidencd. De Colo too, but maybe less. He has cold blood, he will always be here to end games. So the team needed him as a 6th man and he accepted. This is maybe a consequence of 2017 euro where we had three great offensive players (Fournier, de Colo and Heurtel), but had a problem of leadership/hierarchy.
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#2795 » by JN61 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:48 pm

USA's lost was expected, however to get eliminated this badly at this point wasn't. I was expecting them to go at least one more round. Playing very selfish basketball and not defending in the end was recipe for embarrassing loss.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#2796 » by JonFromVA » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:50 pm

kosmonauts wrote:
Jzh wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Exactly this. i'm French and I couldn't careless we won that game. It will be meaningful if they score the gold but the world cup miss too much talent to mean anything.

The only upside is the direct spot to the Olympics where hopefully we'll face real team USA like in 2000.

This loss pretty much guarantees that we will see US super-star team forTokio and hopefully next WC as well.

Meh ... Americans don't care about the FIBA WC let alone FIBA. I'm not sure what's going to make that change, certainly not FIBA if they continue to schedule tourneys and qualifiers during or so close to the start of the NBA season.
maradro
Senior
And1: 349

Post#2797 » by maradro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:02 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
maradro wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

2004 team had the 03 and 01 MVPs, a couple of guys that were a year away from being all NBA, legendary coaches, and was formed specifically to avenge the 02 team (that was also much better than this team).

Your excuses are pathetic, I guess my spurs have never REALLY lost because the years they did, it was just pop and the front office not playing/signing the best possible players :rolleyes

Yeah, I guess you're right. That 2004 team was the best America had. No wonder we kept losing every year after we decided to change how the program was organized and players were recruited.

Oh, wait....

Fun fact here... I have little interest in the FIBA WC beyond following the players on my NBA team who are involved in it and they both play for international teams.

The 06 team says hi

If your team has to suffer embarassing losses to send it's best players that's your problem, not anyone elses. The thing about 04 was, it was supposed to avenge 02 but nope not even with two MVPs and multiple Hof players and coaches... But sure this 19 team is just like that one, whatever helps you sleep at night buddy
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#2798 » by JN61 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:07 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
kosmonauts wrote:
Jzh wrote:

Meh ... Americans don't care about the FIBA WC let alone FIBA. I'm not sure what's going to make that change, certainly not FIBA if they continue to schedule tourneys and qualifiers during or so close to the start of the NBA season.

Losing will peak interest for the future games. But Americans have very much different sense of national pride as Europeans do, so following how your nations athletes do in world cup type of events isn't nearly as big as in Europe, when (at least where I'm from) basically everyone from kids to grandparents follow this type of events regardless of the sport.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#2799 » by Catchall » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Mitchell: 4 assists and zero turnovers
Kemba: 4 turnovers and zero assists
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,724

Post#2800 » by darmani » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:20 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I believe 24 teams from this cup (I think), will be split to 4 mini tournaments, and every winner will get in. Only 4 those spots are left. Argentina, USA, Spain, France, Australia, Japan, Iran, Nigeria already have 8 out of 12 spots

Not exactly. It will be the 16 best non-qualifying teams from the 2019 World Cup + 2 teams from each of the four regions of Africa, Americas, Asia and Oceania, and Europe.

16 best teams that didn't qualify directly via World Cup are:
Tunisia, Brazil, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Canada, Serbia, Poland, Czechia, Lithuania, Italy, Greece, Russia, Germany, Turkey and New Zealand

I'm not sure what will be the criteria for the additional 2 teams per region. FIBA ranking? Wild card? My guess would be:

Europe: Croatia and Slovenia
Africa: Senegal and Angola
Asia: China and Korea
America: Mexico and Uruguay
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker

Return to The General Board