FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 | SPAIN are new WORLD CHAMPIONS

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2801 » by GIMME_DATT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:20 pm

A bunch of overrated players in the media and here on realgm lost

Oh how sweet it is.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#2802 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:21 pm

Catchall wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:So a US team with Kemba Walker and Donvan Mitchell got beat by France team with Frank Ntilikina how sad ..... Dont send boy to do mans work i guess..We put C team out there but Kemba suppose to be some all star max type player.. Doonvan suppose to be a upcoming all star...

Mitchell is already a star. He put up 29/6/4 today on 12/23 shooting. I don't think he's the problem.

ya Mitchel is a great player.

but overall team play - they just got eaten up. Mitchell scored 29 points but he was team worse -13?
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Post#2803 » by a-French-Fan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:26 pm

JN61 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
kosmonauts wrote:
This loss pretty much guarantees that we will see US super-star team forTokio and hopefully next WC as well.

Meh ... Americans don't care about the FIBA WC let alone FIBA. I'm not sure what's going to make that change, certainly not FIBA if they continue to schedule tourneys and qualifiers during or so close to the start of the NBA season.

Losing will peak interest for the future games. But Americans have very much different sense of national pride as Europeans do, so following how your nations athletes do in world cup type of events isn't nearly as big as in Europe, when (at least where I'm from) basically everyone from kids to grandparents follow this type of events regardless of the sport.

Maybe European Union should send a team, and Americans would have interest to send best players...

Rubio, Schroeder, Ntilikina
Fournier, Satoranski, Bellinelli
Doncic, Antetokoumnpo
Mirotic, Saric
Gobert, Valonciunas

And that was a quick sample, sure we may do a better team
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#2804 » by Catchall » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:28 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:So a US team with Kemba Walker and Donvan Mitchell got beat by France team with Frank Ntilikina how sad ..... Dont send boy to do mans work i guess..We put C team out there but Kemba suppose to be some all star max type player.. Doonvan suppose to be a upcoming all star...

Mitchell is already a star. He put up 29/6/4 today on 12/23 shooting. I don't think he's the problem.

but overall team play - they just got eaten up. Mitchell scored 29 points but he was team worse -13?

That was all the 4th quarter. USA as a whole was -17 in the final 7 minutes. Mitchell and Kemba were on the floor for that period. Gobert was shutting down the paint and USA's offense broke down.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#2805 » by stitches » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:29 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Small sample +/- numbers are the worst stat ever put on a stat sheet. I rue the day they decided to put that number on a single game stat sheet. It's the number that has lead to majority of the worst arguments I've ever seen about basketball games.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#2806 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:33 pm

stitches wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Small sample +/- numbers are the worst stat ever put on a stat sheet. I rue the day they decided to put that number on a single game stat sheet. It's the number that has lead to majority of the worst arguments I've ever seen about basketball games.

i said overall team play for team USA. i didn't blame Mitchell per say.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#2807 » by jason bourne » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Catchall wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

That was all the 4th quarter. USA as a whole was -17 in the final 7 minutes. Mitchell and Kemba were on the floor for that period. Gobert was shutting down the paint and USA's offense broke down.

They need to call defensive 3 secs. Or else can Shaq still play? Overall, Ainge must be thrilled with his team.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#2808 » by nedleeds » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:40 pm

stitches wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
udfa wrote:So it turns out a best lineup of Kemba-Mitchell-Smart-Harris-Barnes, with Barnes matched against Gobert, is bad.

It's not Gobert. Gobert is dumb. 9' wingspan jumping at Kemba Walkers 3, he's just lucky Kemba choked. Gobert can't punish a 6' 7" guy guarding him. He's very mediocre. If he had like Kurt Thomas' jumper he'd be all world.

He's all world now and you have no idea what the **** you are talking about.

He's barely All-NBA, gets played off the floor in the playoffs because he has the post game of a junior high kid and can't even take a jump shot. He's a great one way player.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#2809 » by Catchall » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:44 pm

I'll say it again, USA lost today because they couldn't rebound. It was a roster construction issue at the 4 and the 5. The team that lost in Greece in 2004 had the same problem.

Kemba, Mitchell, Barnes, Brown and Harris played fine in this tournament. There was just a hole in the middle today. They needed Turner to play big and he got overmatched.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#2810 » by Catchall » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:45 pm

nedleeds wrote:
stitches wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
It's not Gobert. Gobert is dumb. 9' wingspan jumping at Kemba Walkers 3, he's just lucky Kemba choked. Gobert can't punish a 6' 7" guy guarding him. He's very mediocre. If he had like Kurt Thomas' jumper he'd be all world.

He's barely All-NBA, gets played off the floor in the playoffs because he has the post game of a junior high kid and can't even take a jump shot. He's a great one way player.

He's a two-way player, but he's like a modern, slightly more skilled version of Dikembe Mutombo. He's a better rim roller and rim finisher than Mutombo though. Mutombo is HOF, btw.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
stitches
RealGM

Post#2811 » by stitches » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:46 pm

nedleeds wrote:
stitches wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

Again, you have no idea what you are talking about.
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#2812 » by nedleeds » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Jadoogar wrote:LOLOLOLOL the Celtics lineup just lost to Frank Ntilikina

Even more idiotic are the Knicks coaches and front office clown car who will prioritize "developing" Elfrid Payton over Frank this year.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#2813 » by nedleeds » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:50 pm

stitches wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
stitches wrote:He's all world now and you have no idea what the **** you are talking about.

Great counter point. Talk to us about his offensive game, his ability to punish switches in the NBA and his ability to keep the defense honest by hitting a free throw line jump shot. How every year his post game has improve so whent he Jazz offense takes a **** in the playoffs against the switching elite teams he's not a complete 6th wheel on offense?

Show us, you know what you are talking about oh great wise quipper.
jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Post#2814 » by jinxed » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:53 pm

darmani wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Ok thanks. But how does Serbia qualify now? Surely they're not out of the Olympics?

I believe 24 teams from this cup (I think), will be split to 4 mini tournaments, and every winner will get in. Only 4 those spots are left. Argentina, USA, Spain, France, Australia, Japan, Iran, Nigeria already have 8 out of 12 spots

Not exactly. It will be the 16 best non-qualifying teams from the 2019 World Cup + 2 teams from each of the four regions of Africa, Americas, Asia and Oceania, and Europe.

16 best teams that didn't qualify directly via World Cup are:
Tunisia, Brazil, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Canada, Serbia, Poland, Czechia, Lithuania, Italy, Greece, Russia, Germany, Turkey and New Zealand

I'm not sure what will be the criteria for the additional 2 teams per region. FIBA ranking? Wild card? My guess would be:

Europe: Croatia and Slovenia
Africa: Senegal and Angola
Asia: China and Korea
America: Mexico and Uruguay

Yea, I'd love to figure this out...Does one of Latvia/Croatia/Slovenia get the shaft?

How will the individual qualifying tournaments be seeded?
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
Catchall
RealGM

Post#2815 » by Catchall » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:53 pm

nedleeds wrote:
stitches wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

Great counter point. Talk to us about his offensive game, his ability to punish switches in the NBA and his ability to keep the defense honest by hitting a free throw line jump shot. How every year his post game has improve so whent he Jazz offense takes a **** in the playoffs against the switching elite teams he's not a complete 6th wheel on offense?

A free-throw line jumper is an inefficient shot--40%-50%. Teams would gladly let any player shoot those instead of leading the league in FG% at the rim. Gobert has as much gravity at the rim as any player in the league. That's why he's a valuable offensive player.

Also, fyi, All-NBA is the same as All World, since the best players in the world play in the NBA.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Bigfactsstackz
Pro Prospect
And1: 951

Post#2816 » by Bigfactsstackz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:56 pm

stitches wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
stitches wrote:He's all world now and you have no idea what the **** you are talking about.

No he’s somewhat right .. This forum just has some weird obsession with advance stats that they refuse to see the bigger picture . He has absolutely zero post game , can’t create his own offense . Very good player but he’s not some top tier player that this forum thinks he is..
stitches
RealGM

Post#2817 » by stitches » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:00 pm

nedleeds wrote:

He doesn't do those things. And he doesn't NEED to do those things to be an efficient offensive player. He's limited offensively. You cannot throw him the ball and expect him to create offense(post ups and isos, and I am happy that he's not trying to do it, like some other bigs like Drummond for example). But what he does he does at an extremely high level. He's the premier rim-rolling big in the NBA, he's elite finisher, he's elite offensive rebounder and he's elite screen setter that sets up the offense for success. He's pretty big reason for the Jazz having some of the best shot quality in the league. And yes, this includes the playoffs. Check out the wide open numbers for the Jazz in the playoffs. The Jazz didn't have trouble creating good offense against the Rockets this year. They had more open shots than the Rockets did, they just couldn't hit anything. Every single perimeter player got more open shots than they did in the regular season and every single one of them shot horribly on those wide open 3s in the playoffs and we got handled relatively easily because of that.

Hopefully this changes this year with the better shooting and offense creating players we got in the off-season.
CumberlandPosey
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Post#2818 » by CumberlandPosey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:18 pm

man this team usa roster is making nearly 170 million dollars in salary this upcoming season.regarding the correlation between talent and pay one could expect a lil bit more than what was shown imo.fit and chemistry wasnt exactly at an all time high but getting smoked by franky nicotine??? Come on...
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,687

Post#2819 » by G R E Y » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Class and grace no matter the outcome :clap: :bowdown: :clap:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
jimbutton4
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#2820 » by jimbutton4 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:59 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
kosmonauts wrote:
Jzh wrote:
Exactly this. i'm French and I couldn't careless we won that game. It will be meaningful if they score the gold but the world cup miss too much talent to mean anything.

The only upside is the direct spot to the Olympics where hopefully we'll face real team USA like in 2000.

This loss pretty much guarantees that we will see US super-star team forTokio and hopefully next WC as well.

Meh ... Americans don't care about the FIBA WC let alone FIBA. I'm not sure what's going to make that change, certainly not FIBA if they continue to schedule tourneys and qualifiers during or so close to the start of the NBA season.

Of course they care. That’s why everybody’s been complaining about the squad that went.

Americans stop caring and start pretending they never cared as soon as they lose.

Return to The General Board