ImageImage

OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 26,147
And1: 3,023
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Vamos Rafa
     

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1581 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:34 am

stellation wrote:iPhone question- is there a way to not have a phone call come in over the top of a specific app when that app is in use? My work moved over to webex for their conference facility, it has a pretty nifty app and you can either connect for voice on the phone via your Internet connection or via it calling you/you calling it; the voice quality is generally better and app less cumbersome if I use the Internet connection (the webex number for my company is also a VOIP connection from the US that isn't crystal clear) so I prefer that, but if someone rings me in that time the phone call overrules the open app.

Ideally I'd like to just be able to have something like "when this specific app is open and in use don't interrupt with voice calls".


No, unless something has changed since I looked into it ~2 years ago - and a quick google search says that's not the case. I don't think Android can do this either (not trying to make it an argument - just sharing what I know).
User avatar
stellation
RealGM
Posts: 12,749
And1: 5,254
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: *inaudible*

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1582 » by stellation » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:02 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
stellation wrote:iPhone question- is there a way to not have a phone call come in over the top of a specific app when that app is in use? My work moved over to webex for their conference facility, it has a pretty nifty app and you can either connect for voice on the phone via your Internet connection or via it calling you/you calling it; the voice quality is generally better and app less cumbersome if I use the Internet connection (the webex number for my company is also a VOIP connection from the US that isn't crystal clear) so I prefer that, but if someone rings me in that time the phone call overrules the open app.

Ideally I'd like to just be able to have something like "when this specific app is open and in use don't interrupt with voice calls".


No, unless something has changed since I looked into it ~2 years ago - and a quick google search says that's not the case. I don't think Android can do this either (not trying to make it an argument - just sharing what I know).

Nuts, thanks for that- you've confirmed my "I think this might not be a thing you can do" fears from my own quick googling.

Kinda sucks, it's be neat (but I get it's a phone first and foremost).
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 74,405
And1: 14,697
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
       

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1583 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:11 am

Gears 5 is fun. Series has never been my thing but it might be worth a couple nights rental from your local RedBox.

The game does suffer from the fact that the best riffle you'll probably use all game is the one you start with.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
truly
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,365
And1: 1,145
Joined: Feb 05, 2016
   

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1584 » by truly » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:50 am

Greedfall is getting good reviews.I saw a little bit of gameplay and liked it.I will probably buy it once i find time to play.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
KidA24
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,532
And1: 2,053
Joined: Nov 01, 2012

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1585 » by KidA24 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:57 pm

stellation wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
stellation wrote:iPhone question- is there a way to not have a phone call come in over the top of a specific app when that app is in use? My work moved over to webex for their conference facility, it has a pretty nifty app and you can either connect for voice on the phone via your Internet connection or via it calling you/you calling it; the voice quality is generally better and app less cumbersome if I use the Internet connection (the webex number for my company is also a VOIP connection from the US that isn't crystal clear) so I prefer that, but if someone rings me in that time the phone call overrules the open app.

Ideally I'd like to just be able to have something like "when this specific app is open and in use don't interrupt with voice calls".


No, unless something has changed since I looked into it ~2 years ago - and a quick google search says that's not the case. I don't think Android can do this either (not trying to make it an argument - just sharing what I know).

Nuts, thanks for that- you've confirmed my "I think this might not be a thing you can do" fears from my own quick googling.

Kinda sucks, it's be neat (but I get it's a phone first and foremost).


I don't think you can do it for a specific app, but you could schedule DND (and do it recurring) I believe, if you have a regular meeting or something like that.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
jmuelly
Junior
Posts: 375
And1: 59
Joined: May 22, 2015

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1586 » by jmuelly » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:28 pm

stellation wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
stellation wrote:iPhone question- is there a way to not have a phone call come in over the top of a specific app when that app is in use? My work moved over to webex for their conference facility, it has a pretty nifty app and you can either connect for voice on the phone via your Internet connection or via it calling you/you calling it; the voice quality is generally better and app less cumbersome if I use the Internet connection (the webex number for my company is also a VOIP connection from the US that isn't crystal clear) so I prefer that, but if someone rings me in that time the phone call overrules the open app.

Ideally I'd like to just be able to have something like "when this specific app is open and in use don't interrupt with voice calls".


No, unless something has changed since I looked into it ~2 years ago - and a quick google search says that's not the case. I don't think Android can do this either (not trying to make it an argument - just sharing what I know).

Nuts, thanks for that- you've confirmed my "I think this might not be a thing you can do" fears from my own quick googling.

Kinda sucks, it's be neat (but I get it's a phone first and foremost).


Would DND work? I think it may prevent text messages too though.

Edit: didn't read far enough to see it suggested
User avatar
StickeeFingaz
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,312
And1: 2,222
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
     

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1587 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Hoping to spend some time this weekend with the COD MW beta. Should have more game modes this weekend other than 2v2.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
crkone
RealGM
Posts: 23,081
And1: 4,589
Joined: Aug 16, 2006

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1588 » by crkone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:17 pm

jmuelly wrote:
stellation wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
No, unless something has changed since I looked into it ~2 years ago - and a quick google search says that's not the case. I don't think Android can do this either (not trying to make it an argument - just sharing what I know).

Nuts, thanks for that- you've confirmed my "I think this might not be a thing you can do" fears from my own quick googling.

Kinda sucks, it's be neat (but I get it's a phone first and foremost).


Would DND work? I think it may prevent text messages too though.

Edit: didn't read far enough to see it suggested
KidA24 wrote:
stellation wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
No, unless something has changed since I looked into it ~2 years ago - and a quick google search says that's not the case. I don't think Android can do this either (not trying to make it an argument - just sharing what I know).

Nuts, thanks for that- you've confirmed my "I think this might not be a thing you can do" fears from my own quick googling.

Kinda sucks, it's be neat (but I get it's a phone first and foremost).


I don't think you can do it for a specific app, but you could schedule DND (and do it recurring) I believe, if you have a regular meeting or something like that.


On Android, at least the newer version, you can DND and give exceptions to apps. I still don't know if DND would still work while using that other app though.

Code: Select all

          o- - -  \o          __|
             o/   /|          vv`\
            /|     |              |
             |    / \_            |
            / \   |               |
           /  |                   |
User avatar
stellation
RealGM
Posts: 12,749
And1: 5,254
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: *inaudible*

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1589 » by stellation » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:30 pm

I'll check out DND and see if that helps/the app works, I hadn't thought of that- I'm cool to not have messages turn up etc. :)
User avatar
Bucknado
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,295
And1: 936
Joined: Jul 12, 2013
 

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1590 » by Bucknado » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Started a MyTeam in 2K and got Antetokounmpo in a pack! :D







It was Thanasis. :(
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 74,405
And1: 14,697
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
       

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1591 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:28 am

God the wait for BL3 is tough. I looked at the slideshow on IGN tonight of all the Legendaries they've found and picked out some early favorites and I'm gonna go hard after. Gamestop is gonna be open at 9:00 pm tomorrow and I'll be there to pick it up.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 26,147
And1: 3,023
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Vamos Rafa
     

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1592 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:43 am

ReasonablySober wrote:God the wait for BL3 is tough. I looked at the slideshow on IGN tonight of all the Legendaries they've found and picked out some early favorites and I'm gonna go hard after. Gamestop is gonna be open at 9:00 pm tomorrow and I'll be there to pick it up.


Yep. I had pre-ordered from Best Buy and opted for delivery as sometimes it is early a day. Well, not this time - it hasn't shipped yet. Ugh.
jmuelly
Junior
Posts: 375
And1: 59
Joined: May 22, 2015

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1593 » by jmuelly » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:20 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:God the wait for BL3 is tough. I looked at the slideshow on IGN tonight of all the Legendaries they've found and picked out some early favorites and I'm gonna go hard after. Gamestop is gonna be open at 9:00 pm tomorrow and I'll be there to pick it up.


Never played a borderlands title before would I be entirely lost. What does it compare to, I know its A looter shooter, I’ve enjoyed division but that’s more realistic guns and such. Is it kid appropriate? I know there is some swearing, I am fine with that unless it turns sexual or f bombs and inappropriate gestures. I myself play mature games but being cartoonish my kids may think they could do if I ever opted to get it.
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 74,405
And1: 14,697
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
       

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1594 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:26 pm

jmuelly wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:God the wait for BL3 is tough. I looked at the slideshow on IGN tonight of all the Legendaries they've found and picked out some early favorites and I'm gonna go hard after. Gamestop is gonna be open at 9:00 pm tomorrow and I'll be there to pick it up.


Never played a borderlands title before would I be entirely lost. What does it compare to, I know its A looter shooter, I’ve enjoyed division but that’s more realistic guns and such. Is it kid appropriate? I know there is some swearing, I am fine with that unless it turns sexual or f bombs and inappropriate gestures. I myself play mature games but being cartoonish my kids may think they could do if I ever opted to get it.


Have you ever been a Diablo player? It's like a shooter Diablo 3 in a lot of ways. You're constantly picking up new gear, health, and ammunition. There's not much in the way of tactical maneuvering, it's just offense, offense, offense and finding the most efficient ways to kill stuff.

Abilities, buffs, passives, the right shields, and relics are vitally important (particularly at the higher levels) to how well that gun you like dispatches baddies. But there are mind-bending combinations that can make really just about any play-style viable.

One thing about the new Borderlands I don't see talked enough about is how much better the actual shooting seems to be. Apparently the devs studied Destiny, and you can tell. The sound and just the overall feel of shooting looks to be massively improved.

Here's a solid video of the gun manufacturers and the variety of guns:

https://youtu.be/01MOlAL1efw?t=34

One thing that sucks about the video is whoever is playing rarely aims down the sites, which makes for really awful shooting.

But while the guns are important, more important are the abilities/skill trees. Here's a solid video to check out to see if anything grabs your attention:

Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
Superfito
Senior
Posts: 661
And1: 74
Joined: Feb 02, 2006

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1595 » by Superfito » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:54 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
jmuelly wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:God the wait for BL3 is tough. I looked at the slideshow on IGN tonight of all the Legendaries they've found and picked out some early favorites and I'm gonna go hard after. Gamestop is gonna be open at 9:00 pm tomorrow and I'll be there to pick it up.


Never played a borderlands title before would I be entirely lost. What does it compare to, I know its A looter shooter, I’ve enjoyed division but that’s more realistic guns and such. Is it kid appropriate? I know there is some swearing, I am fine with that unless it turns sexual or f bombs and inappropriate gestures. I myself play mature games but being cartoonish my kids may think they could do if I ever opted to get it.


Have you ever been a Diablo player?


Diablo / Destiny in a cool looking cell shaded open world. The guns are procedurally generated - and well actually - so there pretty much infinite guns.
jmuelly
Junior
Posts: 375
And1: 59
Joined: May 22, 2015

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1596 » by jmuelly » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
jmuelly wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:God the wait for BL3 is tough. I looked at the slideshow on IGN tonight of all the Legendaries they've found and picked out some early favorites and I'm gonna go hard after. Gamestop is gonna be open at 9:00 pm tomorrow and I'll be there to pick it up.


Never played a borderlands title before would I be entirely lost. What does it compare to, I know its A looter shooter, I’ve enjoyed division but that’s more realistic guns and such. Is it kid appropriate? I know there is some swearing, I am fine with that unless it turns sexual or f bombs and inappropriate gestures. I myself play mature games but being cartoonish my kids may think they could do if I ever opted to get it.


Have you ever been a Diablo player?


No but I've played a little of destiny 2. I played through the story at least.
User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 26,147
And1: 3,023
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Vamos Rafa
     

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1597 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 pm

jmuelly wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:God the wait for BL3 is tough. I looked at the slideshow on IGN tonight of all the Legendaries they've found and picked out some early favorites and I'm gonna go hard after. Gamestop is gonna be open at 9:00 pm tomorrow and I'll be there to pick it up.


Never played a borderlands title before would I be entirely lost. What does it compare to, I know its A looter shooter, I’ve enjoyed division but that’s more realistic guns and such. Is it kid appropriate? I know there is some swearing, I am fine with that unless it turns sexual or f bombs and inappropriate gestures. I myself play mature games but being cartoonish my kids may think they could do if I ever opted to get it.


BL is certainly not kid appropriate.
User avatar
engelmartin
Veteran
Posts: 2,813
And1: 1,006
Joined: Jun 03, 2013
         

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1598 » by engelmartin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:12 pm

My buddy has been working on System Shock 3 for years and they're finally getting close to finishing it. The newest trailer looks kind of sweet. Warren Spector came out of retirement to work on it, had nothing to do with the new Deus Exs.
[youtube]https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/11/system-shock-3-watch-the-new-gameplay-trailer?fbclid=IwAR34NJ57wpkGnW0nosGlkAWbOJEkcb1ek1nflja395KWyHsmCB0b05c3A4w[/youtube]
Baddy Chuck wrote:
The idea that Thon would have the coordination to jump around on trampolines while playing basketball is lost on me.
User avatar
engelmartin
Veteran
Posts: 2,813
And1: 1,006
Joined: Jun 03, 2013
         

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1599 » by engelmartin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:13 pm

[quote="engelmartin"]My buddy has been working on System Shock 3 for years and they're finally getting close to finishing it. The newest trailer looks kind of sweet. Warren Spector came out of retirement to work on it, had nothing to do with the new Deus Exs.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
The idea that Thon would have the coordination to jump around on trampolines while playing basketball is lost on me.
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 74,405
And1: 14,697
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
       

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1600 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:19 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
jmuelly wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:God the wait for BL3 is tough. I looked at the slideshow on IGN tonight of all the Legendaries they've found and picked out some early favorites and I'm gonna go hard after. Gamestop is gonna be open at 9:00 pm tomorrow and I'll be there to pick it up.


Never played a borderlands title before would I be entirely lost. What does it compare to, I know its A looter shooter, I’ve enjoyed division but that’s more realistic guns and such. Is it kid appropriate? I know there is some swearing, I am fine with that unless it turns sexual or f bombs and inappropriate gestures. I myself play mature games but being cartoonish my kids may think they could do if I ever opted to get it.


BL is certainly not kid appropriate.


I'd say it's got PG-13 humor/language with some obviously bloody animation that is dulled a bit by the cartoonish artwork.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

Return to Milwaukee Bucks