California passes law to allow student-athletes to make money off endorsements

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Re: California passes law to allow student-athletes to make money off endorsements 

Post#101 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:08 pm

TurinTurambar wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Did you read the comments section in that link? People seem to hate the idea of players making money while in college. SMH

Yahoo comments sections are legit the worst

YouTube comments say what up
TurinTurambar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,971

Re: California passes law to allow student-athletes to make money off endorsements 

Post#102 » by TurinTurambar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:14 pm

CoachD wrote:
TurinTurambar wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Did you read the comments section in that link? People seem to hate the idea of players making money while in college. SMH

Yahoo comments sections are legit the worst

YouTube comments say what up

YouTube comments are just a barely coherent mess. Yahoo comments traffic almost exclusively in misogyny, racism, homophobia, and right wing conspiracy theories.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,835

Post#103 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:18 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
kio80 wrote:Where does all the NCAA money go? Forgive my ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is where it goes.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/where-does-money-go

Evil nefarious purposes indeed - we need it to buy Zion and his mom Ferrari’s ASAP cause the world is just a worse place without that - :roll:

I get so annoyed w/ this whole assumption that a non-profit institution making money off its tournament- so it can fund collegiate athletics for young adults in our colleges - is a bad thing. Heaven forbid some soon to be millionaire kid has to wait a year or two to get paid and ONLY has access to a free college education and room and board for that timeframe.

I guess this will play out however, but wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up in the Supreme Court who will decide whether the NCAA can still keep its non-profit classification w/ these athletes making money, and if they can’t, the tournament will probably end. Their policy is the way it is cause of tax status. You can’t have what are essentially professional athletes playing a sport, earn money on it, and not pay taxes on that income - and a college needs it’s non-profit status for more important things than a basketball tournament.

Conversely, if I'm a star quarterback at State U, playing in front of 80,000 every weekend and however many millions more on TV, why the hell should I care about subsidizing water polo and fencing teams?

The idea that the NCAA is non-profit is absolutely ludicrous. When you're pulling in more than a billion in revenue -- and that's just them, not counting individual schools who rake in their own small mountains of cash -- you are no longer non-profit. You are very much a for-profit business in every sense of the term.

Which is why it's so ridiculous that guys like Dabo Swinney will preach about the sanctity of student-athletes (lol) while having absolutely no problem pulling in $8 million-plus per year to coach college football. And why wouldn't he? Cut the players in, and that's money directly out of his -- and all the other coaches' and support staffers' and administrators' -- pockets.

The bottom line is, the model of college sports is grossly outdated given their current economics. The only reasons they don't pay players is because, A. They don't want to; and B. They don't have to.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,182

Post#104 » by xdrta+ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:19 pm

TheDominator273 wrote:It was never illegal for college players to earn endorsement money, it's simply against the bylaws of the NCAA. You can make money off your likeness, they just make you not eligible to participate in any sanctioned event.
The obvious hope is that more states follow suit and pressure the NCAA to change their bylaws, but if it's just California nothing will change.

That's not the way it works. Student-athletes sign over their rights to their name, image, and likeness to their schools, who are free to use them (and do use them) to strike lucrative marketing deals with makers of athletic gear and sports drinks and video games. This bill would simply give the athletes a slice of that pie.

EDIT: This is why the UC system, Stanford, and every major college and uni in California has teamed up with the NCAA to fight this bill.
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,814

Post#105 » by BFRESH44 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:22 pm

NCAA has taken advantage of capitalism for far too long. The buck stops here. With an ever growing wealth gap in this country, how can you have the audacity and unmitigated gal to control what players do with their own likeness? It's not amateurism when you're pulling billions of dollars of revenue with Television contracts. Those lines have already been blurred. It's free minor leagues. And no, being on an athletic scholarship isn't enough compensation. Especially with all the restrictions that is comes with in regards to transfers.
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#106 » by oceanlife » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:28 pm

I was an average college athlete from a non-money making sport. This is great news and let me give you my 2 cents as to why.

It's not just the top tier athletes who are going to benefit from this. It's the regular guys who will benefit more. For example when I played in college it was clearly stated to us that we couldn't work in sports camps or give lessons to kids for extra money.

Think about that. You are in college as an athlete and one thing you are banned from doing is TEACHING. A computer science major on a full ride is allowed to code for money, a kid with a perfect SAT score is allowed to take money from parents as a tutor, but the second you are on an athletic scholarship YOU CANNOT TEACH FOR MONEY. If you aren't a top tier player in a major sport there's no professional future for you anyway so coaching would be one of the best ways to make some money during the summer. Depending on the area and sport you could pull $20-$80/hr or more as a trainer (personal trainers at your local ritzy gym get more money than this)

It gets stupider than that. If you get a job unrelated to sports but the NCAA thinks you are getting paid higher because you are a college athlete they can pull your scholarship. No trial, no evidence needed, just poof your financial situation is completely turned upside down. Here's the stupid rule list.

Oh and [BLANK] you to the NCAA with their "student athlete" BS. During the season you are working over 50 hours a week at your sport. Yeah we signed up for it, blah blah blah, but I can't handle the sanctimonious way the NCAA calls us student athletes. I loved playing sports at the highest level I could ever hope to play, but we don't need sports teams at colleges. I don't know how people defend making colleges defacto minor-league teams. The European system of education is so much better and if I was redoing things I'd have gone to Germany for my education.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#107 » by NBAFan93 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:31 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:
kio80 wrote:Where does all the NCAA money go? Forgive my ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is where it goes.

Evil nefarious purposes indeed - we need it to buy Zion and his mom Ferrari’s ASAP cause the world is just a worse place without that - :roll:

I get so annoyed w/ this whole assumption that a non-profit institution making money off its tournament- so it can fund collegiate athletics for young adults in our colleges - is a bad thing. Heaven forbid some soon to be millionaire kid has to wait a year or two to get paid and ONLY has access to a free college education and room and board for that timeframe.

I guess this will play out however, but wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up in the Supreme Court who will decide whether the NCAA can still keep its non-profit classification w/ these athletes making money, and if they can’t, the tournament will probably end. Their policy is the way it is cause of tax status. You can’t have what are essentially professional athletes playing a sport, earn money on it, and not pay taxes on that income - and a college needs it’s non-profit status for more important things than a basketball tournament.

Conversely, if I'm a star quarterback at State U, playing in front of 80,000 every weekend and however many millions more on TV, why the hell should I care about subsidizing water polo and fencing teams?

The idea that the NCAA is non-profit is absolutely ludicrous. When you're pulling in more than a billion in revenue -- and that's just them, not counting individual schools who rake in their own small mountains of cash -- you are no longer non-profit. You are very much a for-profit business in every sense of the term.

Which is why it's so ridiculous that guys like Dabo Swinney will preach about the sanctity of student-athletes (lol) while having absolutely no problem pulling in $8 million-plus per year to coach college football. And why wouldn't he? Cut the players in, and that's money directly out of his -- and all the other coaches' and support staffers' and administrators' -- pockets.

The bottom line is, the model of college sports is grossly outdated given their current economics. The only reasons they don't pay players is because, A. They don't want to; and B. They don't have to.

It’s a very slippery slope giving college players money... and the tax thing is a huge deal. And it’s not even just about paying the taxes themselves - things like facility rentals, building permits/leases, food and beverage vending, equipment purchases, donations and sponsors - so much of that stuff is handled WAY differently cause something is a non-profit versus a for-profit.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#108 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:33 pm

Hollywood winning right here. Guys deserve a cut for the products they endorse.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,182

Post#109 » by xdrta+ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:39 pm

The NCAA sent a harsh letter to Governor Newsom Wednesday morning, detailing all the evils that would ensue if he signs this bill. Amazingly, it ended with this plea, "We urge the state of California to reconsider this harmful and, we believe, unconstitutional bill..."

The letter didn't specify which part of the Constitution the bill violates.

NCAA letter:
https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-responds-california-senate-bill-206
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#110 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:41 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:
This is where it goes.

It’s a very slippery slope giving college players money... and the tax thing is a huge deal. And it’s not even just about paying the taxes themselves - things like facility rentals, building permits/leases, food and beverage vending, equipment purchases, donations and sponsors - so much of that stuff is handled WAY differently cause something is a non-profit versus a for-profit.

Well, of course getting a tax break is huge. That's more money in their pocket, which is the point of the whole enterprise anymore. Again, the entire model of college sports is grossly outdated. The notion that top-end participants (i.e. football and basketball) are noble amateurs pursing academic and athletic excellence with equal vigor no longer applies. They are merely tools to help a very much for-profit business make money -- nearly $1.3 billion in basketball tournament / football playoff TV money per year alone.

EDIT: To put that into perspective, the NBA - one of the most popular and successful professional sports leagues in the entire world - makes an estimates $2.7 billion per year on its national TV deals. The fact that the NCAA is within spitting distance just for their two major postseason events should tell you all you need to know about how ludicrous it is to consider them non-profit.

And this is before you get into the individual leagues; the Big 10 makes $240 million per year for its hoops / football rights, and the SEC is expected to crack $300 million with its next deals. These colleges are raking in enormous sums of money, which is compounded by the fact that they don't have to share it with the labor pool in any significant way.

The mafia wishes it had a racket this lucrative.
NBAFan93
RealGM

Post#111 » by NBAFan93 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:54 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

Well, of course getting a tax break is huge. That's more money in their pocket, which is the point of the whole enterprise anymore. Again, the entire model of college sports is grossly outdated. The notion that top-end participants (i.e. football and basketball) are noble amateurs pursing academic and athletic excellence with equal vigor no longer applies. They are merely tools to help a very much for-profit business make money -- nearly $1.3 billion in basketball tournament / football playoff TV money per year alone.

But colleges “raking in” money is a good thing - it makes for a better experience student athletes and the students that go to the events - it also helps keep costs down cause the school itself doesn’t have to use tuition money to fund their sports programs/facilities.

I guess if people are hostile towards the purpose of higher education and the people who participate and work in it (which honestly could be a little what is going on with all the hostility), and would rather all sports proceeds go to billionaire franchise owners and a handful of rich athletes, maybe we should do away w/ sports in our colleges and there not be things like college football on Saturdays, bowl games and the NCAA tournament.

Make it all a secondarily pro league for people aged 18-22, that isn’t associated with a school, and have it compete w/ the NBA/NFL. Will that be better?

Colleges like Duke and UCLA are non-profit organizations and their primary purpose is education - I really doubt the IRS is going to let them reap the benefits of a for profit sports enterprise on the side while still calling themselves an institution of higher learning and getting things like research and land grants to do their education stuff.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#112 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:54 pm

xdrta+ wrote:The NCAA sent a harsh letter to Governor Newsom Wednesday morning, detailing all the evils that would ensue if he signs this bill. Amazingly, it ended with this plea, "We urge the state of California to reconsider this harmful and, we believe, unconstitutional bill..."

NCAA letter:
https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-responds-california-senate-bill-206

'no one is allowed to make money off these kids except us!'

what pieces of **** these people are. throw them in prison.
NBAFan93
RealGM

Post#113 » by NBAFan93 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:02 pm

clyde21 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:The NCAA sent a harsh letter to Governor Newsom Wednesday morning, detailing all the evils that would ensue if he signs this bill. Amazingly, it ended with this plea, "We urge the state of California to reconsider this harmful and, we believe, unconstitutional bill..."

NCAA letter:

Who do you think is “us” exactly? This is where NCAA money goes:

It doesn’t actually go to a rich owner or group of owners of the NCAA. Who exactly are you throwing in prison?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#114 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:04 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:

But colleges “raking in” money is a good thing - it makes for a better experience student athletes and the students that go to the events - it also helps keep costs down cause the school itself doesn’t have to use tuition money to fund their sports programs/facilities.

I guess if people are hostile towards the purpose of higher education and the people who participate and work in it (which honestly could be a little what is going on with all the hostility), and would rather all sports proceeds go to billionaire franchise owners and a handful of rich athletes, maybe we should do away w/ sports in our colleges and there not be things like college football on Saturdays, bowl games and the NCAA tournament.

Make it all a secondarily pro league for people aged 18-22, that isn’t associated with a school, and have it compete w/ the NBA/NFL. Will that be better?

Colleges like Duke and UCLA are non-profit organizations and their primary purpose is education - I really doubt the IRS is going to let them reap the benefits of a for profit sports enterprise on the side while still calling themselves an institution of higher learning and getting things like research and land grants to do their education stuff.

I'm not hostile to higher education at all. I've got a degree, everyone in my family has a degree. In all but isolated cases, it's the key to better wages and a better standard of living.

But neither am I going to buy into the hypocrisy of major college sports, which is the very definition of for-profit. That's where my hostility stems from. You've got coaches like Dabo Swinney pontificating about the sanctity of the student-athlete, while having absolutely zero problem making $93 million over 10 years to coach them. How about you take, say, $60 million and cut the rest for the athletes -- the vast majority of which will never make the NFL, or be rich -- who helped you make all that in the first place?

There's zero reason this couldn't be done, outside of the fact that they don't want to, and don't have to.

I'll add this edit I made to my previous post, putting into further perspective just how much money we're talking about...

The NBA - one of the most popular and successful professional sports leagues in the entire world - makes an estimates $2.7 billion per year on its national TV deals. The fact that the NCAA is within spitting distance just for their two major postseason events should tell you all you need to know about how ludicrous it is to consider them non-profit.

And this is before you get into the individual leagues; the Big 10 makes $240 million per year for its hoops / football rights, and the SEC is expected to crack $300 million with its next deals. These colleges are pulling in enormous sums of money, which is compounded by the fact that they don't have to share it with the labor pool in any significant way.

Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#115 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:05 pm

THIS IS MASSIVE for USC , UCLA ETC OMG.. Game changer in the football and basketball world.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#116 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:06 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

EDIT: To put that into perspective, the NBA - one of the most popular and successful professional sports leagues in the entire world - makes an estimates $2.7 billion per year on its national TV deals. The fact that the NCAA is within spitting distance just for their two major postseason events should tell you all you need to know about how ludicrous it is to consider them non-profit.

And this is before you get into the individual leagues; the Big 10 makes $240 million per year for its hoops / football rights, and the SEC is expected to crack $300 million with its next deals. These colleges are raking in enormous sums of money, which is compounded by the fact that they don't have to share it with the labor pool in any significant way.

double compounded by the fact that they don't even let them make money off their own names...Zion couldn't even sign a basketball for $100 if he wanted to. it's a **** sham being run by crooks and greedmonsters that have been leveraging these kids for FREE labor for decades...these people belong in prison. what a farce and anyone defending this nonsense is complicit.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#117 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 pm

The South better wise up and passs up the same law...Every 5 star knows where get paid and play at the same time now
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#118 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

NCAA letter:

It doesn’t actually go to a rich owner or group of owners of the NCAA. Who exactly are you throwing in prison?

It also goes directly into the pockets of people like:

62 head football coaches making at least $2 million per year
55 head basketball coaches making at least $2 million per year
Pac 12 commissioner Larry Scott ($4.8 million per year)
Big 10 commissioner Bob Bowslby ($3.1 million per year)
NCAA commissioner Mark Emmert ($2.4 million per year)
Pac 12 Network president Lydia Murphy-Stephens ($1.2 million per year)

Hell, LSU's DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR makes $2.5 million per year.

For an enterprise that can't scrape enough money together to pay players, they sure don't seem to have much problem paying themselves.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#119 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

For an enterprise that can't scrape enough money together to pay players, they sure don't seem to have much problem paying themselves.

:lol:
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#120 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:21 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Thats why im happy this law got passed. Let the market dictate these players worth

Return to The General Board