ImageImageImage

If KP & Luka Are Dirk & Nash, Then Who Is Finley?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Sep 4, 2019 11:31 am

Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,763

Re: If KP & Luka Are Dirk & Nash, Then Who Is Finley? 

Post#2 » by Archx » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:14 pm

Sadly this team does not have a player that is worthy being compared to Finley.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,981

Post#3 » by daoneandonly » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:26 pm

Yea what Archx said, the only potential option would be either Delon or JJ, if they are able to take a significant jump.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#4 » by dirkforpres » Wed Sep 4, 2019 10:37 pm

We don’t have a Finley left. It’ll have to be a collective effort from Curry, Wright, DSF, THJ, and Brunson
FIRE JASON KIDD
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,894

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:28 am

No one.
Finley has been underrated his entire career. I enjoyed watching play no matter what team it was on.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#6 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Sep 5, 2019 8:08 am

Finley was a beast of an entirely different kind. I would say he was the prototypical kind of wing that we need to add now. Sadly nobody on the team is near to giving what he gave us.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#7 » by Darren » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:26 am

I think the Mavs need Marion more than Finley as of now. Leadership role has already been taken up. Maybe the Mavs find someone like KT in draft at some point. Elite shooter and elite defender. Smart without the ball.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#8 » by arkuo » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:34 pm

Delon is being groomed to file that role. Obviously the new team dynamics are different. Luka is way taller than Nash. Porzingis plays more defense than Dirk ever did. If Delon can fill that role, at 25 years old, then we got our core right there.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#9 » by bobsquad » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:04 pm

Finley was recently brought up on the GB as a guy the poster couldn't remember much about his game. I'm in the same camp, old enough to have fond memories of Finley (still have a poster of him hanging at my parents' place lol) but can't remember his game too well.

Interesting that he was characterized by various commenters as a great defender and a defensive liability. What made him one or the other (or both)?
Darren
RealGM

Post#10 » by Darren » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:10 am

Finley, by the time, is the team leader who pushes Mavs into playoff. Also, Finley takes a lot of last shots. Finley is an above average defender early but becomes a complete liability by the year of amnesty (the year Bobcats is formed).
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Post#11 » by Teffer10 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 2:45 am

bobsquad wrote:Finley was recently brought up on the GB as a guy the poster couldn't remember much about his game. I'm in the same camp, old enough to have fond memories of Finley (still have a poster of him hanging at my parents' place lol) but can't remember his game too well.

Interesting that he was characterized by various commenters as a great defender and a defensive liability. What made him one or the other (or both)?
Nellie made a comment one time that Fin wasn’t and never would be a good defender. Said something that some guys have all the physical tools to be a great defender but for some reason never get it. Fin seemed to be that guy. He wasn’t horrible but never developed into the lock down defender that people thought he would be.
Darren
RealGM

Post#12 » by Darren » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:00 am

Teffer10 wrote:
bobsquad wrote:Finley was recently brought up on the GB as a guy the poster couldn't remember much about his game. I'm in the same camp, old enough to have fond memories of Finley (still have a poster of him hanging at my parents' place lol) but can't remember his game too well.

Nellie made a comment one time that Fin wasn’t and never would be a good defender. Said something that some guys have all the physical tools to be a great defender but for some reason never get it. Fin seemed to be that guy. He wasn’t horrible but never developed into the lock down defender that people thought he would be.

Not that bad. But possibly not as good as Josh Howard (early career), Kidd (championship run) and Bell. Possibly still, better than Barnes, Daniels and so on. Somewhat around Griffin, Buckner or Stevenson's level. Not really bad when the Mavs makes the playoff the first time. Possibiy, the Mavs needs Luka to at least reach Finley's prime defense. I cannot image the championship squad has too much liability on court. GSW only has Curry as defensive liability but Curry does steal a lot in paint.
gh123
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Post#13 » by gh123 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 6:35 am

If KP is even remotely Dirk or Nash, then Brunson or even Boban is our Finley.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Post#14 » by Teffer10 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 4:39 pm

I understand the comparisons but we never even got to the finals with a Dirk/Nash/Finley trio.

I think it is more important to construct similar to our championship team that had the strongest defense in Mavs history.

Stevenson
Marion
Chandler
Kidd
Haywood
Brewer

Even Dirk played decent D that season.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Darren wrote:I think the Mavs need Marion more than Finley as of now. Leadership role has already been taken up. Maybe the Mavs find someone like KT in draft at some point. Elite shooter and elite defender. Smart without the ball.

Honestly, I think Klay's defense gets overrated. I wouldn't say he's elite, but he's above average in the sense that he can get a lot of deflections and will use his body and initiate contact if you try to drive by him. Lateral quickness isn't the best, but good technique with how/where he places his arms
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Finley would be a good 3D guy in today's NBA.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,843

Post#17 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:02 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:Finley would be a good 3D guy in today's NBA.

Except defense was never his fortee and he wasn't a pure spot up shooter, he was a prototypical 2 with playmaking skills who get create his own shot effectively.
Deus
Veteran
And1: 149

Post#18 » by Deus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:13 pm

Teffer10 wrote:I understand the comparisons but we never even got to the finals with a Dirk/Nash/Finley trio.

I think it is more important to construct similar to our championship team that had the strongest defense in Mavs history.

Stevenson
Marion
Chandler
Kidd
Haywood
Brewer

Even Dirk played decent D that season.

Absolutely. The early 2000's Mavs were fun to watch but sucked defensively. This team here 8 years ago was a defensive nightmare for teams. Lebron was lost in the Finals against them.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:59 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Finley would be a good 3D guy in today's NBA.

Except defense was never his fortee and he wasn't a pure spot up shooter, he was a prototypical 2 with playmaking skills who get create his own shot effectively.

He normally kept his matchup in front of him, and I liked him when he was trailing a play so that he could get a steal. His main issues were that he'd sag off and drop back a little too much when he thought his guy was going to drive, so that'd give them ample space for a jumper. Well that and Don Nelson was a TURRIBLE defensive coach. If Finley had someone else coaching him at that time, more people would have noticed his good defense.

But it wasn't as good as Josh Howard's and obviously not as good as Marion's.

He was at least average if you ask me, and on those Mavs teams, he was actually one of the better perimeter defenders for sure.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#20 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:06 pm

So, THJ is the most likely to actually be the Mike Finely. Instant scorer who might not add much defense or playmaking. I’m fact, the beta THJ is just that. And his role is important for us (tho I think off the bench).

I do think Seth Curry and Delon Wright will be the most important. Both need to be the wings that spread the floor for Luka and KP. Powell will do his thing drawing attention rolling to the basket.

It’s gonna be super important Curry knocks down 3s and Wright can attack/playmake/hit open jumpers off those two. If they do, I think we can be a playoff team.

Return to Dallas Mavericks