California passes law to allow student-athletes to make money off endorsements

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Re: California passes law to allow student-athletes to make money off endorsements 

Post#161 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 pm

LKN wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:Then why is the NCAA against this law? Just to be mean? And the underlying schools are non-profits - believe that is the difference between the Olympics and a college, high school, etc.

You might better ask why universities are so dead-set against this bill. Well, let's see. UCLA has a $280M deal with UnderArmour; Ohio State $252M with Nike; Texas $250M with Nike; Louisville $160M with Adidas -- the list goes on and on, all built on the images of the sports stars at the schools. Is it really so outrageous that the stars should be able to sell their own image? At any rate, it's not hard to see why the schools like it the way it is.

And yet all those deals somehow have not impacted their non-profit status..... amazing :D

but Zion making a 100 dollars on an autograph...now THAT would :lol: :lol: :lol:
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Re: California passes law to allow student-athletes to make money off endorsements 

Post#162 » by LKN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:45 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
You might better ask why universities are so dead-set against this bill. Well, let's see. UCLA has a $280M deal with UnderArmour; Ohio State $252M with Nike; Texas $250M with Nike; Louisville $160M with Adidas -- the list goes on and on, all built on the images of the sports stars at the schools. Is it really so outrageous that the stars should be able to sell their own image? At any rate, it's not hard to see why the schools like it the way it is.

I think those schools pay that money TO those companies for apparel?

Seriously? You should do a little research. Those are contracts that the companies pay the schools so they can supply them with apparel. Why do you think you see the Nike swoosh on so many jerseys.

From an New York Times story from a few years ago:
U.C.L.A. and Under Armour on Tuesday announced the largest college sponsorship deal ever, a contract that will pay the university’s athletic department $280 million in cash and apparel over 15 years.

I honestly think a lot of people just have no idea how much money is involved in college athletics and how basically everyone involved is getting paid except the kids. Hopefully this thread will open some eyes.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#163 » by xdrta+ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:49 pm

After the UCLA deal was announced, Josh Rosen, their quarterback, tweeted, "“We’re still amateurs though … Gotta love nonprofits.”
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#164 » by NBAFan93 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Seriously? You should do a little research. Those are contracts that the companies pay the schools so they can supply them with apparel. Why do you think you see the Nike swoosh on so many jerseys.

U.C.L.A. and Under Armour on Tuesday announced the largest college sponsorship deal ever, a contract that will pay the university’s athletic department $280 million in cash and apparel over 15 years.

If it’s going the other way it’s probably considered a donation or sponsorship then - and might tax deductible on the shoe companies part’s cause it’s going to a non-profit - and in exchange they get exposure on TV. I wonder where shoe companies stand on the debate.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#165 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:52 pm

xdrta+ wrote:After the UCLA deal was announced, Josh Rosen, their quarterback, tweeted, "“We’re still amateurs though … Gotta love nonprofits.”

it's an outright scam and everyone involved in facilitating this should be locked up.
LKN
General Manager

Post#166 » by LKN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:

If it’s going the other way it’s probably considered a donation or sponsorship then - and might tax deductible on the shoe companies part’s cause it’s going to a non-profit - and in exchange they get exposure on TV. I wonder where shoe companies stand on the debate.

501c3s are allowed to have corporate sponsors (too lazy to google if universities are also 501c3s).... Universities are absolutely allowed to have corporate sponsors and stay non-profit. I went to Illinois and many of our engineering buildings where I had classes were financed by corporate sponsors.
LKN
General Manager

Post#167 » by LKN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:56 pm

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the NCAA is bluffing when it comes to kicking out CA schools or suing over this. That would open them to anti-trust scrutiny... which they absolutely do not want.

“Numerous legal scholars assert that SB 206 is constitutional and that an NCAA ban of California colleges from championship competition is a clear violation of federal anti-trust law,” Sen. Nancy Skinner (D-Berkeley), the bill’s author, said Wednesday in a statement. “The NCAA has repeatedly lost anti-trust cases in courts throughout the nation. As a result, threats are their primary weapon.”

Obviously a biased source, but I think she's probably correct.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#168 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:03 pm

From a selfish reason this could mean the start up again of NCAA football games. There hasn't been a good sports game since NCAA football 14. If players can make money off their name and likeness, that means they can get paid to be in the game, which means they can start that game up again!!!
arh1109
Pro Prospect
And1: 104

Post#169 » by arh1109 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 pm

This is just another way of paying student athlete's in today's world I guess.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#170 » by xdrta+ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:37 pm

arh1109 wrote:This is just another way of paying student athlete's in today's world I guess.

You say that like it's a bad thing. This would be legit at least, recorded, taxes paid, all above board.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#171 » by 50CalClips » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:30 am

USA Today -

"I just want to say, 'NCAA, don't threaten California. Don't threaten us'," Kamlager-Dove said. "Because we have formidable schools. We have formidable alumni. And we have formidable viewership. And we can leverage those things until 2023, when this bill takes effect. I'm sick of being leveraged by the NCAA on the backs of athletes who have the right to their own name and image."

Come on Texas, New York, Florida, Pennsylvania... stand with California against the NCAA thugs.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#172 » by 50CalClips » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:31 am

Read on Twitter
arh1109
Pro Prospect
And1: 104

Post#173 » by arh1109 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:31 am

xdrta+ wrote:
arh1109 wrote:This is just another way of paying student athlete's in today's world I guess.

You say that like it's a bad thing. This would be legit at least, recorded, taxes paid, all above board.

I agree that it's better out in the open. And athlete's who make the college extra revenue deserve some kind of compensation. But it opens a can of worms, because how long are these endorsement deals supposed to be? You have guys like Zion who is probably worth atleast $10 a year in college. If starter's for high ranked schools were getting some kind of salary I could support that. This would be good for low income athlete's.
LKN
General Manager

Post#174 » by LKN » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:33 am

arh1109 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

I agree that it's better out in the open. And athlete's who make the college extra revenue deserve some kind of compensation. But it opens a can of worms, because how long are these endorsement deals supposed to be? You have guys like Zion who is probably worth atleast $10 a year in college. If starter's for high ranked schools were getting some kind of salary I could support that. This would be good for low income athlete's.

Endorsement deals would be negotiated individually by each player I would guess...although the players could also likely form a union or other negotiating group to handle larger deals (such as say a video game deal).
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#175 » by Pointgod » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:42 am

arh1109 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

You let the market decide. Correct me if I’m wrong but Duke had the highest single game attendance and most expensive NCAA tickets last year. That wasn’t to watch coach K, it was all because of Zion, Barrett and Reddish. Why shouldn’t the kids who are responsible for the NCCAA and Duke getting massive profits leverage their talents to compensate themselves even if its for a year?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#176 » by clyde21 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:09 am

50CalClips wrote:

USA Today -

"I just want to say, 'NCAA, don't threaten California. Don't threaten us'," Kamlager-Dove said. "Because we have formidable schools. We have formidable alumni. And we have formidable viewership. And we can leverage those things until 2023, when this bill takes effect. I'm sick of being leveraged by the NCAA on the backs of athletes who have the right to their own name and image."

Come on Texas, New York, Florida, Pennsylvania... stand with California against the NCAA thugs.

it's gonna happen, quicker than the NCAA thinks, and they're gonna get left in the dust like the bloodsucking vampires they are
clyde21
RealGM

Post#177 » by clyde21 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:23 am

arh1109 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

who cares? that's between the player and the company. why does the length of it matter to you in any way shape or form? :-?
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#178 » by 50CalClips » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:31 am

clyde21 wrote:
50CalClips wrote:

USA Today -

it's gonna happen, quicker than the NCAA thinks, and they're gonna get left in the dust like the bloodsucking vampires they are

I see your avatar...

In the not to distant future, these blood-sucking "Sanctioning Bodies" in Boxing will be left in the dust as well.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,078

Prelude To The Threat 

Post#179 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:35 am

California: "Your time is over, NCAA! We have the right thinking, we have the students well-being, and we have the corps you hunger."
NCAA: "Heh, and we got... THE DEATH PENALTY!"

I would not be surprised if NCAA uses the Death Penalty on all California schools between now and when Governor Gavin Newsom signs the Fair Pay To Play Act to law, and January 1, 2023, when the law will officially take effect. Can you imagine if NCAA took the college's sports away? If that happens, this will be one of the greatest court cases in U.S. history.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#180 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:43 am

50CalClips wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm 100% for this, but sorry this tweet is dumb, no need for him to exaggerate to make his point when he doesn't need to.

No college player is going to sleep hungry. All schools in the NCAA have unlimited meals for all athletes since 2014. High end schools like Duke, UK, and MSU, they all have professional nutritionist make all of their foods for their athletes.

Return to The General Board