California passes law to allow student-athletes to make money off endorsements

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

arh1109
Pro Prospect
And1: 104

Re: California passes law to allow student-athletes to make money off endorsements 

Post#181 » by arh1109 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:43 am

LKN wrote:
arh1109 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing. This would be legit at least, recorded, taxes paid, all above board.

I agree that it's better out in the open. And athlete's who make the college extra revenue deserve some kind of compensation. But it opens a can of worms, because how long are these endorsement deals supposed to be? You have guys like Zion who is probably worth atleast $10 a year in college. If starter's for high ranked schools were getting some kind of salary I could support that. This would be good for low income athlete's.

Endorsement deals would be negotiated individually by each player I would guess...although the players could also likely form a union or other negotiating group to handle larger deals (such as say a video game deal).

Yes I mean I think most of them are going to be pretty small except for each year's most hyped player. Zion is the exception.
arh1109
Pro Prospect

Re: California passes law to allow student-athletes to make money off endorsements 

Post#182 » by arh1109 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:46 am

Pointgod wrote:
arh1109 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing. This would be legit at least, recorded, taxes paid, all above board.

I agree that it's better out in the open. And athlete's who make the college extra revenue deserve some kind of compensation. But it opens a can of worms, because how long are these endorsement deals supposed to be? You have guys like Zion who is probably worth atleast $10 a year in college. If starter's for high ranked schools were getting some kind of salary I could support that. This would be good for low income athlete's.

You let the market decide. Correct me if I’m wrong but Duke had the highest single game attendance and most expensive NCAA tickets last year. That wasn’t to watch coach K, it was all because of Zion, Barrett and Reddish. Why shouldn’t the kids who are responsible for the NCCAA and Duke getting massive profits leverage their talents to compensate themselves even if its for a year?

They did generate the revenue but a player as hyped as Zion doesn't come along that often. I'm not sure if the Duke lockerroom would be the Duke locker room if Zion was instantly awarded a huge nike contract or whatever. He'd be making introductions in expensive clothes to every game like an nba player does.
arh1109
Pro Prospect

Post#183 » by arh1109 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:47 am

clyde21 wrote:
arh1109 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

who cares? that's between the player and the company. why does the length of it matter to you in any way shape or form? :-?

Because not every player is Lebron James who was a fully functioning adult at age 16.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,501

Re: Prelude To The Threat 

Post#184 » by zimpy27 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:47 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:California: "Your time is over, NCAA! We have the right thinking, we have the students well-being, and we have the corps you hunger."
NCAA: "Heh, and we got... THE DEATH PENALTY!"

I would not be surprised if NCAA uses the Death Penalty on all California schools between now and when Governor Gavin Newsom signs the Fair Pay To Play Act to law, and January 1, 2023, when the law will officially take effect. Can you imagine if NCAA took the college's sports away? If that happens, this will be one of the greatest court cases in U.S. history.

California is big enough with enough Universities to compete with the NCAA if they are willing to pay the best players in the nation.

NCAA would never cut California off, it'd be the beginning of the end for them.

Imagine high school players being able to play in sunshine for a year and collect royalty cheques in the celebrity marketing mecca of the world.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#185 » by clyde21 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:53 am

arh1109 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
arh1109 wrote:

who cares? that's between the player and the company. why does the length of it matter to you in any way shape or form? :-?

Because not every player is Lebron James who was a fully functioning adult at age 16.

that's still none of your business, that's between the kid, his family and the company.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#186 » by xdrta+ » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:01 am

arh1109 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
arh1109 wrote:

Not many college students are 16. The bill also allows student-athletes to have agents that are licensed in California. In spite of how many RealGMers view agents, they can be a valuable aid, especially to an inexperienced college-age athlete.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#187 » by LKN » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:08 am

arh1109 wrote:
LKN wrote:
arh1109 wrote:

Endorsement deals would be negotiated individually by each player I would guess...although the players could also likely form a union or other negotiating group to handle larger deals (such as say a video game deal).

Yes I mean I think most of them are going to be pretty small except for each year's most hyped player. Zion is the exception.

I wouldn't be so sure about that... there's a ridiculous amount of money thrown around by boosters (particularly for football). I'm sure they can come up with all kinds of endorsement opptys.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 25,836

Post#188 » by azcatz11 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:25 am

The top players are benefiting from free distribution IE their games are shown nationally. They should be able to be paid via outside endorsements but I don't see how this benefits anyone other than the top guys.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,940

Post#189 » by Ducklett » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:08 am

I would be curious if you could find a judge that would consider a player a non-professional when he is being paid to play sports.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#190 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:25 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Wammy Giveaway wrote:California: "Your time is over, NCAA! We have the right thinking, we have the students well-being, and we have the corps you hunger."

I would not be surprised if NCAA uses the Death Penalty on all California schools between now and when Governor Gavin Newsom signs the Fair Pay To Play Act to law, and January 1, 2023, when the law will officially take effect. Can you imagine if NCAA took the college's sports away? If that happens, this will be one of the greatest court cases in U.S. history.

California is big enough with enough Universities to compete with the NCAA if they are willing to pay the best players in the nation.

Imagine high school players being able to play in sunshine for a year and collect royalty cheques in the celebrity marketing mecca of the world.

Seriously, California would just create its own league. Every top 100 prospect would head out West to be apart of that league. Get the opportunity to make money while living out on the West coast. California has more than enough beautiful campuses to attract all the top prospects. You would see schools like Pepperdine become a bigger name in sports. If I was like the 80th ranked recruit, I could either go to VCU or live a couple years in Malibu California while having the chance to cash in on endorsement checks.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,725

Post#191 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:32 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Seriously, California would just create its own league. Every top 100 prospect would head out West to be apart of that league. Get the opportunity to make money while living out on the West coast. California has more than enough beautiful campuses to attract all the top prospects. You would see schools like Pepperdine become a bigger name in sports. If I was like the 80th ranked recruit, I could either go to VCU or live a couple years in Malibu California while having the chance to cash in on endorsement checks.

This is absolutely correct. They would create their own organization. And as top prospects head to it where they can be compensated, more and more national programs would leave the NCAA to join this new association. Blacklisting California schools would lead to the long, slow painful death of the NCAA.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#192 » by MrBigShot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:41 am

Good, screw the NCAA. This should've been passed a long time ago but better late than never, hope to see other states follow suit.

If someone like Zion can play in college and make money off of endorsements, why shouldn't he be able to? The coaches and NCAA uppers make millions and the top recruits are left dry if they don't game the system.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#193 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:53 am

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

This is absolutely correct. They would create their own organization. And as top prospects head to it where they can be compensated, more and more national programs would leave the NCAA to join this new association. Blacklisting California schools would lead to the long, slow painful death of the NCAA.

Yup. This isn't like Montana or Wyoming doing this. California has multiple power house schools that the NCAA couldn't afford to lose. California also has plenty of schools to make a legit league. And again a bunch of schools that aren't known for sports could easily become known for sports.

Just a quick hypothetical and say this happens. If you create a league headed by USC, UCLA and Stanford, you give top tier recruits (in both sports) a chance to play at one of those 3 schools while also having the chance to make big money from endorsements, there goes all the top recruits. You also have solid successful schools like SDSU, Fresno State, Cal and a few others to throw in that would get a massive boost. Then you can throw in some schools with ridiculous campuses or night life like Pepperdine, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz and others. You put those schools in a league that will be getting televised with the likes of USC and UCLA, and they get a massive recruiting advantage of players being able to make money. You're going to see schools like Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz put money into their sporting programs. Those schools may never get the top tier guys, but wouldnt be shocking to see schools like VCU, Gonzaga, TCU and others losing recruits to those schools so they can play in the league that gives them the chance to make endorsements.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#194 » by andyhop » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:04 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

And yet the exact same thing can be done nowadays with players signing in the G-League and none of them do it.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#195 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:12 am

andyhop wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

And yet the exact same thing can be done nowadays with players signing in the G-League and none of them do it.

There is a massive difference between popularity of a UCLA basketball game and a G League game. Im sure players feel like if they go to the G League, they're going to be forgotten about until the draft. There really isn't much potential for national visibility and endorsement opportunities.

You let California create its own league and give these schools the massive recruiting advantage of being able to sign an agent and cash in on endorsements, its game over for other colleges. They would get the massive TV audience that college brings (which G League has no TV audience), would get endorsement opportunities in prime locations whether that be in SoCal with Hollywood or NorCal/Central California with the San Fran/San Jose Tech industries, plus unbelievable campuses to spend that time and money on.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#196 » by xdrta+ » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:19 am

andyhop wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

To be fair, it was less than a year ago that the program was announced, that a player at least 18 yrs old could come straight out of high school and sign with the G league, so there hasn't been a lot of time for it to get off the ground.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#197 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:27 am

xdrta+ wrote:
andyhop wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

To be fair, it was less than a year ago that the program was announced, that a player at least 18 yrs old could come straight out of high school and sign with the G league, so there hasn't been a lot of time for it to get off the ground.

That has always been allowed by the G League. In 2009 Latavious Williams went straight from high school to the D League. This year is the 1st year that the G League is offering 125k contracts to any elite prospects that choose the G League over college.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#198 » by xdrta+ » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:39 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
andyhop wrote:

That has always been allowed by the G League. In 2009 Latavious Williams went straight from high school to the D League. This year is the 1st year that the G League is offering 125k contracts to any elite prospects that choose the G League over college.

You're right, I was thinking of the $125k salary. But if endorsements are the issue, why would any prospect think they could get endorsements in the G league, which might barely be on local TV, as opposed to going to a top college and getting national TV exposure.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,725

Post#199 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:57 am

andyhop wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

G League is not the same marketing structure. Top 4 or 5 guys in their class could sign with UCLA or Stanford, USC, still get network TV time to play, sign their shoe contract a year early, maybe even pick up some local endorsements.

Meanwhile...you don’t think a school like Arizona and possibly even UNLV goes with them? Hell Sean Miller has been organizing his players getting paid for years. They are a natural to join thus new association and walk away from the NCAA.

Plus these schools, with access to the top talent each season, could negotiate their own TV deal without having to share any of it with the rest of the NCAA? And who would stop them from sharing those profits with the players as a further enticement?

And rich boosters...they can now offer 50k, 100k, 200k “endorsement” deals to help draw top prospects to their school.

Kentucky and Pitino is going to just sit back and watch the talent go out West? They would line up next to join. Ohio St loves to find ways to draw talent to their school...count them in.

And ditto this scenario in football too.

This is how the NCAA falls apart. And why they absolutely should be worried about this scenario happening. I could see the very top guys making 500k to a million in their one season of college ball. This new association will distance its self completely away from anything the NCAA is trying to do. There will be zero notion of “amateur” basketball or football player.

Tell me, how does the NCAA try to compete with that competition model? Without loosening most of their rules themselves.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#200 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:39 am

Are we just going to pretend Lebron doesn't have a vested interest in all this? He just wants Klutch to sink their claws into them earlier and make money off these kids.

Return to The General Board