Image ImageImage Image

Tomas Satoransky - Chance to win MIP?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Re: Tomas Satoransky - Chance to win MIP? 

Post#21 » by ZOMG » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:42 pm

League Circles wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
League Circles wrote:I think the most likely Bull to win it is probably Carter, followed by Dunn.

Not sure if serious.

Sheesh, some people are REALLY projecting on Carter. Over the last few months, he's been talked up here as the best playmaker of the team, best defender, best prospect, a future offensive hub... and now the most likely MIP! Wow.

Trouble is, he's literally showed us nothing like that. I don't know where all this is coming from.

As for Dunn... :noway:

Not sure if you understand the concept of most IMPROVED. You're basically making my case.

Hey, I guess anyone in the NBA can improve. I just don't see a single sign that Carter is ready for a huge jump. He was a total non-factor last season and might actually get less touches this season. He looks like a future role player to me.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#22 » by League Circles » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 pm

ZOMG wrote:
League Circles wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
Not sure if serious.

Sheesh, some people are REALLY projecting on Carter. Over the last few months, he's been talked up here as the best playmaker of the team, best defender, best prospect, a future offensive hub... and now the most likely MIP! Wow.

Trouble is, he's literally showed us nothing like that. I don't know where all this is coming from.

As for Dunn... :noway:

Not sure if you understand the concept of most IMPROVED. You're basically making my case.

Hey, I guess anyone in the NBA can improve. I just don't see a single sign that Carter is ready for a huge jump. He was a total non-factor last season and might actually get less touches this season. He looks like a future role player to me.

You're overthinking it. It's just process of elimination really. I don't expect any Bull to win the award.

Felicio and Kornet probably won't play enough

Young is too established and old

Lauri, Lavine and Porter were already too productive to have a chance IMO

White and Gafford are obviously ineligible

IMO Valentine, Hutchison and Shaq won't play enough, nor do they have the typical pedigree and physical ability usually seen from the MIP, who is often a good prospect who finally "put it all together".

IMO, Tomas was already too good, relative to Dunn, to have much of a chance. Also I think it usually goes to a guy improving on the same team he was on. Though I would say he's most likely after Carter and Dunn.

Carter's biggest problem was probably foul trouble, but he's really smart so I'm guessing he makes big strides there.

With Dunn, simply put, he sucks but has good ability, and by process of elimination only, I see him as more likely than most everyone else.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#23 » by dougthonus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:35 pm

ZOMG wrote:Sheesh, some people are REALLY projecting on Carter. Over the last few months, he's been talked up here as the best playmaker of the team, best defender, best prospect, a future offensive hub... and now the most likely MIP! Wow.

Well if he does all those first things then MIP seems like it is in the bag, so it seems pretty consistent at least. :lol:

I love Carter as a prospect, but I think both he and Sato have a lot of expectations with out a lot of rationality behind them on this forum.

Carter missed most of his rookie campaign and huge chunks of his offseason with multiple surgeries, he's going to be a bit behind IMO. Sato is a solid player, but people are starting to look at him to have a star like impact, and that seems a bit much to expect.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#24 » by erlim » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Dez wrote:He's playing well but FIBA ball is vastly different to the NBA, it just suits some players game.

He'll be good for Chicago but he's not going to be putting up the numbers he is at the World Cup.

People need to reign back their expectations.

This, and The Czech Republic absolutely depends on him to control and lead their offense. As devoid of Star power as we are, we aren’t or shouldn’t be looking for Satoransky to save the day.

Here, I do believe he’ll be a really great stabilizing force on the floor like Otto, and I’m sure it will be commonplace for him to go into FIBA spark mode if the rest of our team is going a bit cold, but his primary job is to set up Lauri and Zach and just exploit teams overplaying on Lavine, Markkanen, and even Porter.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#25 » by Indomitable » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:46 pm

dougthonus wrote:
ZOMG wrote:Sheesh, some people are REALLY projecting on Carter. Over the last few months, he's been talked up here as the best playmaker of the team, best defender, best prospect, a future offensive hub... and now the most likely MIP! Wow.

Well if he does all those first things then MIP seems like it is in the bag, so it seems pretty consistent at least. :lol:

I love Carter as a prospect, but I think both he and Sato have a lot of expectations with out a lot of rationality behind them on this forum.

Carter missed most of his rookie campaign and huge chunks of his offseason with multiple surgeries, he's going to be a bit behind IMO. Sato is a solid player, but people are starting to look at him to have a star like impact, and that seems a bit much to expect.

Most people expect Sato along with Young,and Otto to make this team more professional.

Getting rid of mindless gunners like Parker, Portis, and Blakeney can only help the product.

We appreciate Tomas looking like a professional.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#26 » by transplant » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:54 pm

dougthonus wrote:
transplant wrote:I think he was like 12-7 per36 with good efficiency last season. His biggest obstacle in winning MIP is that he played well last year.

I don't think people look at per 36 stats. I think lots of guys who've won it have done so by playing a lot more minutes and only slight elevations of their per 36 stats.

I think his biggest problem is that most winners in my memory are guys with big scoring boosts and Sato doesn't seem like a guy who will become a 20/10 player. He might become a 15/10 player, but that probably won't get it done.

I agree with you. I was responding to the OP's premise that 16-7 would get him MIP consideration....given higher minutes, 16-7 wouldn't be MIP-worthy.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#27 » by rtblues » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Dez wrote:He's playing well but FIBA ball is vastly different to the NBA, it just suits some players game.

He'll be good for Chicago but he's not going to be putting up the numbers he is at the World Cup.

So, Kemba Walker, Jalen Brown, Josef Nurkic, Evan Fournier, and others, are only doing well because it's FIBA and they won't match their FIBA play in the NBA?
You really can't have it both ways... Sato has been really good, to diminish it with the "It's because it's FIBA" thing, then that has to be true for the others or anyone playing at a high level there.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#28 » by Dez » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:50 pm

rtblues wrote:

So, Kemba Walker, Jalen Brown, Josef Nurkic, Evan Fournier, and others, are only doing well because it's FIBA and they won't match their FIBA play in the NBA?
You really can't have it both ways... Sato has been really good, to diminish it with the "It's because it's FIBA" thing, then that has to be true for the others or anyone playing at a high level there.

Patty Mills is a superstar then going by the World Cup.

It's not diminishing anything, it's being realistic.

International basketball suits some players and Sato is one of those players.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#29 » by Axolotl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:02 am

Dez wrote:
rtblues wrote:

And the other way around too. Giannis hasn't looked like a MVP, nor Jokic like a All-NBA first teamer.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#30 » by rtblues » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:38 am

Axolotl wrote:
Dez wrote:
rtblues wrote:So, Kemba Walker, Jalen Brown, Josef Nurkic, Evan Fournier, and others, are only doing well because it's FIBA and they won't match their FIBA play in the NBA?

And the other way around too. Giannis hasn't looked like a MVP, nor Jokic like a All-NBA first teamer.

How about, wait and see?
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#31 » by ZOMG » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:59 am

rtblues wrote:
Axolotl wrote:
Dez wrote:

How about, wait and see?

National teams around the world have become a LOT better at taking away a player's strengths, NBA-style. You'd never think that some no name team playing small ball would be able to neutralize Giannis, but a sound tactical approach goes a long way. Antetokounmpo has looked very human when he hasn't had NBA players around him sharing the load.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#32 » by Axolotl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:11 am

rtblues wrote:
Axolotl wrote:
Dez wrote:

How about, wait and see?

That's exactly what I'm doing :)

I firmly believe Satoransky will be good for the Bulls, while trying to keep my optimism in check. I watched him play for the Wizards, and have now watched him play for his national team. I have liked his game in both settings.

I just don't want to let my mind run with the best case scenario just to be disappointed - thus, I'll wait and see.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#33 » by drosereturn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:35 am

League Circles wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
League Circles wrote:Not sure if you understand the concept of most IMPROVED. You're basically making my case.

You're overthinking it. It's just process of elimination really. I don't expect any Bull to win the award.

Felicio and Kornet probably won't play enough

Young is too established and old

Lauri, Lavine and Porter were already too productive to have a chance IMO

White and Gafford are obviously ineligible

IMO Valentine, Hutchison and Shaq won't play enough, nor do they have the typical pedigree and physical ability usually seen from the MIP, who is often a good prospect who finally "put it all together".

IMO, Tomas was already too good, relative to Dunn, to have much of a chance. Also I think it usually goes to a guy improving on the same team he was on. Though I would say he's most likely after Carter and Dunn.

Carter's biggest problem was probably foul trouble, but he's really smart so I'm guessing he makes big strides there.

With Dunn, simply put, he sucks but has good ability, and by process of elimination only, I see him as more likely than most everyone else.

Sato is very good but a lot of people & media (no top 100 list) including Bulls fans dont know he is that good.
Most of them quickly point out his lack of output which is somewhat true by scoring less than 10 ppg but what they dont know is that he deferred a lot to the team.
I bet some think Dunn is better since his raw stats is somewhat better.
If he can produce something like 15/8/5 and make Bulls to the playoffs, I dont see why he shouldnt be candidate for MIP.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#34 » by Ccwatercraft » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:38 am

Doubt the minutes will be there. But if they are that means hes playing lights out.

So your telling me there's a chance...
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#35 » by Chi town » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:21 am

The more I see him play the more I see Captain Kirk... gritty, tough, plays both ends, makes his teammates better.

I think Sato will fit in perfect next to Lavine and Otto and Lauri.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#36 » by sco » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:17 pm

Chi town wrote:The more I see him play the more I see Captain Kirk... gritty, tough, plays both ends, makes his teammates better.

I think Sato will fit in perfect next to Lavine and Otto and Lauri.

I loved Kirky's defense (which was allowed under the old rules but became muted under new hand checking rules). I don't think Sato has that same bulldog in him defensively. Similarly, Sato is much taller and does a good job of exploiting match-ups by driving the rim. Sato also seems to be a much better passer, where (especially young Kirk) had an annoying habit of dribbling the air out of the ball before making a pass to a guy who didn't have an open shot.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls