ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Enes Kanter Wins WWE 24/7 Title At MSG

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

aj174
Senior
And1: 898

Re: OT: Enes Kanter Wins WWE 24/7 Title At MSG 

Post#41 » by aj174 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Hero_Panda wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:Well, my idea was to get across something akin to Yosemite Dan's opinion above, as elegantly as possible. :)

I hold the conventional adult opinion that professional wrestling, as a scripted faux-sport, ranks among the most embarrassing and preposterous types of entertainment our species' has ever produced, on par with stuff like the Kattenstoet festival, fox tossing, and reality tv shows.

I think it's self-debasing for an athlete of Enes Kanter's stature to indulge in this nonsense.

Well I'm glad you didn't come across like Yosemite Dan's post, as something like that is not even worth responding to.

To me, wrestling is just another form of theatre entertainment which millions upon millions support. Yes it's not real, but movies aren't real either, and that didn't stop me from shedding a few tears during Avengers: Endgame.

I just don't get why people need to chime in on how they despise something so subjective as entertainment.

I totally agree, and to add to what you're saying, wrestling is more choreographed. They take real hits, they get injured for real. What critics of wrestling dont understand is that you cant fake a suplex, you cant fake landings, sometimes you have to take them. Edge had to retire early because of the severe spinal damage he took during his career.

These guys used to hit each other in the head with chairs for real, and wwe banned it, that's why you dont see chair shots to the head anymore. The list of wrestlers dealing with concussions and dying early after retirement is alarming.

Its sports entertainment. You still have to be very fit to do it, and you're trusting your physical well being in another person's hands when they pick you up and drop you etc. Owen Hart RIP, dropped Steve Austin the wrong way with a piledriver and broke his neck, Austin had to leave early cause of it.

I will say, the quality of the product has dropped though, and that's totally on writing and what not
Sandman88
Head Coach
And1: 6,527

Post#42 » by Sandman88 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Guess I should stop watching movies and tv series because its scripted. Morons.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,889

Post#43 » by fbalmeida » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:
Hero_Panda wrote:
I don't watch wrestling but I got nothing against it.
What do you hope to get by making a comment like this in a thread about wrestling?

Well, my idea was to get across something akin to Yosemite Dan's opinion above, as elegantly as possible. :)

I hold the conventional adult opinion that professional wrestling, as a scripted faux-sport, ranks among the most embarrassing and preposterous types of entertainment our species' has ever produced, on par with stuff like the Kattenstoet festival, fox tossing, and reality tv shows.

I think it's self-debasing for an athlete of Enes Kanter's stature to indulge in this nonsense.

What kind of person hates the Kattenstoet Festival. So awful.

To clarify, I was referring to the medieval version that involved chucking actual live cats from a church tower, from which they'd fall to their deaths.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by fbalmeida » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Oakville_Raptor wrote:
Hero_Panda wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:Wrestling... :roll:

I don't watch wrestling but I got nothing against it.
What do you hope to get by making a comment like this in a thread about wrestling?

People who hate on wrestling are pretty much pathetic...the whole "it's fake" thing they say is disgraceful. Would love to see these f@cks get in the ring night in night out and take bumps constantly.

I'll be the first to admit that after, say, three body-slams, I'd probably have to be taken to the hospital and administered tramadol and celecoxib for about a month. There's obvious physicality in wrestling, while narration replaces competitiveness. My axe to grind with it, is that I just don't find the prospect of poorly mimicked combat and red-in-the-face bravado and braggadocio for its own sake, to be the least bit entertaining.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#45 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:27 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:
Well, my idea was to get across something akin to Yosemite Dan's opinion above, as elegantly as possible. :)

What kind of person hates the Kattenstoet Festival. So awful.

To clarify, I was referring to the medieval version that involved chucking actual live cats from a church tower, from which they'd fall to their deaths.

Yeah, so was I

;)
wikkidbigshot
Freshman
And1: 106

Post#46 » by wikkidbigshot » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Awesome.

Didnt Enes asked for the undertaker music when he get introduced as a rookie or something.

Must be a bucket list thing.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Post#47 » by YogiStewart » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Why are they booing Enes Kanter?

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,490

Post#48 » by Duffman100 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:48 pm

YogiStewart wrote:

I was prepared to get all angry if was because of his stance on Turkey / Erdogan. I doubt WWE fans in attendance are that politically saavy to have a stance.

But if it's simply Knicks fans being knicks fans, I'm fine with that.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#49 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Yosemite Dan wrote:The only thing more cringeworthy that that is anybody who paid money for a ticket to watch this moronic crap. And this is coming from a fan of it back in the 80s and 90s. Now it’s just unwatchable.

Have to agree here. No clue how some follow it religiously still. The attitude era set the bar high and it’s never been the same since. Competition always makes things better (like when WCW) was actually battling WWE in the Monday night wars. Raw vs Nitro.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,764

Post#50 » by Dennis 37 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:28 pm

J-Roc wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:Decades ago, wrestling was wrestling, yes we knew it was fake, but it was made to look real. One could actually debate how close to real it was. There were no storylines, no drama, no crap. It was just 15 second entrances of both combatants and have at it.

The soap opera crap makes it unwatchable.

Whoa, how many decades ago were you watching wrestling?? The 80's and 90's had tons of silly drama.

And yes, as a 6yr old kid, I used to debate with my brother how real it was. Good times.

70's
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#51 » by howlin mad axer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:thats awesome. wrestling always makes me feel like a kid again

This stuff makes me think about when I was a kid and kids would say stuff like "WW wrestling is real" and they are dead serious. These are the same kids that even when they were half a foot shorter would raise their hand from the top of their head to the top of the taller kid's head and claim they are taller.
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Post#52 » by VinBaker6 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:19 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:

I was prepared to get all angry if was because of his stance on Turkey / Erdogan. I doubt WWE fans in attendance are that politically saavy to have a stance.

His stance on Turkey is dumb though

S/O to TZ!
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,339

Post#53 » by Tha Cynic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:04 pm

Wtf did I just watch.....
Kobe Bryant: “You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#54 » by J-Roc » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
J-Roc wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:Decades ago, wrestling was wrestling, yes we knew it was fake, but it was made to look real. One could actually debate how close to real it was. There were no storylines, no drama, no crap. It was just 15 second entrances of both combatants and have at it.

The soap opera crap makes it unwatchable.

Whoa, how many decades ago were you watching wrestling?? The 80's and 90's had tons of silly drama.

And yes, as a 6yr old kid, I used to debate with my brother how real it was. Good times.

70's

Who were the name wrestlers back then? Bruno Sammartino? I can't imagine anything better than the 80's.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,043

Post#55 » by Westside Gunn » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:49 am

macNcheese3 wrote:
Yosemite Dan wrote:The only thing more cringeworthy that that is anybody who paid money for a ticket to watch this moronic crap. And this is coming from a fan of it back in the 80s and 90s. Now it’s just unwatchable.

Have to agree here. No clue how some follow it religiously still. The attitude era set the bar high and it’s never been the same since. Competition always makes things better (like when WCW) was actually battling WWE in the Monday night wars. Raw vs Nitro.

i find the attitude era fans agitating. that was almost 20 years ago please get over it. you had stone cold and the rock, kinda like the NBA getting Lebron. it reminds me of discussing basketball with jordan jockriders who downplay almost every player today because of jordan. i can understand that to some extent but that doesn't make me stop appreciating or enjoying the sport.

i appreciate the talent they have right now, i enjoyed a lot of the new matt hardy, bray wyatt and currently finn balor, bronson, seth rollins, stroman etc. miz and elias keep it entertaining, and i think in the attitude era they would be able to bring a lot more to the table.

having said that i grew up watching the attitude era and i admit, it was electrifying. it will probably never return to that level because the internet and social media have killed any anticipation or excitement that would build up before a wrestling event. and you can bet every dollar you have right now that the company would've been forced to shut down because of the extreme left. i don't need to give any examples from the attitude era to show you what i mean. outcomes are now predictable. the flow of information between fans and insiders has killed it all. stadiums will never fill up for raw like they used to. people have become secluded because everything is accessible by your phone now.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#56 » by Yosemite Dan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:23 am

What they need to do is go back to the 80s formula, not in the cartoon personalities but bring back the jobbers. Ratings are in the toilet anyways so it cant get any lower so go retro and create stars the old school way instead of all the top guys fighting each other every week and taking turns getting pinned where all invincibility is lost.

Best way to build stars is by showing them to be strong and unstoppable by beating jobbers weekly and then PPVs are exciting because it’ll be the first time two guys face each other. This also limits the time wrestlers get pinned unless it’s a PPV. Every guy in the roster gets pinned multiple times a month and just makes the character weak and matches have zero tension because it’s not a big deal if any guy loses.

Have the Raw show cut down to 2 hours and have a decent mid-card match at the end so the fans can look forward to something. And some on air incident between wrestlers to build suspense and feuds. Rest of the show build the wrestlers by pounding on jobbers and making the look tough to beat and giving them freedom on the microphone to develop thier character.

People will say you can’t do that but PPVs will be so much better and matches will mean so much more. And give belts to guys and let them hold it for more than a month.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#57 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:53 am

Westside Gunn wrote:
macNcheese3 wrote:

i find the attitude era fans agitating. that was almost 20 years ago please get over it. you had stone cold and the rock, kinda like the NBA getting Lebron. it reminds me of discussing basketball with jordan jockriders who downplay almost every player today because of jordan. i can understand that to some extent but that doesn't make me stop appreciating or enjoying the sport.

i appreciate the talent they have right now, i enjoyed a lot of the new matt hardy, bray wyatt and currently finn balor, bronson, seth rollins, stroman etc. miz and elias keep it entertaining, and i think in the attitude era they would be able to bring a lot more to the table.

having said that i grew up watching the attitude era and i admit, it was electrifying. it will probably never return to that level because the internet and social media have killed any anticipation or excitement that would build up before a wrestling event. and you can bet every dollar you have right now that the company would've been forced to shut down because of the extreme left. i don't need to give any examples from the attitude era to show you what i mean. outcomes are now predictable. the flow of information between fans and insiders has killed it all. stadiums will never fill up for raw like they used to. people have become secluded because everything is accessible by your phone now.

Feel free to feel agitated my friend. Any wrestling lover/fan has a connection to the attitude era. How is it our fault we witnessed some of the best storylines in sports entertainment?

I never watched MJ play on the Bulls(live on TV) - it doesn’t agitate me when fans have debates about the GOAT, how many more rings he could have won, etc. We have topics popping up all the time about MJ.

Embrace it rather than cause yourself agitation.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by YogiStewart » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:48 am

VinBaker6 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:Image

lolol....
dude....unless you're a blind (and dumb) supporter of Erdogan's party, i'm not sure how anyone of sound mind can say Kanter's stance is "dumb"
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by fbalmeida » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:54 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:Image

He opposes Erdogan. That's not dumb.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by YogiStewart » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:58 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

He opposes Erdogan. That's not dumb.

i know this will delve into political discussions, but politics aren't always black and white. except being against Erdogan is. i honestly don't know how anyone can logically and rationally argue in favour of Erdogan.

Return to Toronto Raptors