ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,297

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1081 » by jute2003 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:45 pm

Perishable517 wrote:The sad highlight of the month, so far...

So, I have to run down to the mail room to pick up a jar of pickles for a co-worker who will not be in the building this week. He asks, I’m waiting for a crap ton of reports to run, so, sure, I’ll make the run.

I get off the elevator and make my way to the mail room. As I’m walking it sounds like someone is either having sex or jilling themselves off. I mean it REALLY sounds like it. It may, or may not, given me chub.

I get to the mail room and grab the jar of pickles and a large, laminated, wall map (asked if I could have it so the mail guy gave it to me). I get back to the elevator and there is a froggy looking woman waiting for the elevator, too.

She says, “That’s a big tube of paper you have”.

I go “it’s a map”

Her “Oh that’s cool”.

The elevator opens and we both get on. I ask her to press 3 for me as she pressed 1 for herself. She *slaps* the buttons a couple of times and finally hits 3.

She says “Are those Dill Pickles?”

I say, “I have no clue, they are not mine”

She follows up with “My friend loves pickles”

I bet they do.
Huh....
only a fan, only an opinion
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#1082 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:20 pm

Anyone here using a meal delivery service that they like? I'm thinking of giving it a test run for a bit.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#1083 » by jschligs » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Anyone here using a meal delivery service that they like? I'm thinking of giving it a test run for a bit.

You mean like Hello Fresh? I tried that and Blue Apron(?) and both were good, a bit pricey but you pay for the convenience. The biggest issue for me was there wasn't enough food. I could've eaten 2 servings of everything but I'm kind of a pig.

Edit - most have free trials too, no commitment needed.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#1084 » by trwi7 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:05 am

I don't really get Hello Fresh. They just give you the ingredients. You still have to make the ****. You're paying out the ass for the convenience of what?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Post#1085 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:33 am

I've looked into half a dozen meal delivery services, and none of them have looked remotely worth it once you get past the very initial deal (if that).
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1086 » by humanrefutation » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:22 am

trwi7 wrote:I don't really get Hello Fresh. They just give you the ingredients. You still have to make the ****. You're paying out the ass for the convenience of what?

I can't speak for Hello Fresh, specifically. But the reason I'm interested is the convenience of having everything I need shipped to me, being able to plan healthier meals instead of falling into the to-go trap when I'm tired after work, and less food waste from throwing things away because they don't sell many fresh ingredients in single-serving sizes (a huge problem for a single guy like myself, but I do utilize vaccum sealing where possible).

The price does give me pause, FWIW.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1087 » by humanrefutation » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:26 am

I know I mentioned earlier that I was trying out Orange Theory Fitness - just got back from my first session today and OOF that was a hard workout. Not impossible - the trainer was a good dude who was helpful when I needed to make adjustments - but I was just drained all over. Which is probably a good thing because I know I pushed myself. The nice thing is being able to follow your stats during the workout itself - it motivates you to push yourself that extra bit to make yourself hit that afterburn range.

I signed up and am going to try to give it a shot for a couple months to see what's up.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,591

Post#1088 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:05 am

humanrefutation wrote:I know I mentioned earlier that I was trying out Orange Theory Fitness - just got back from my first session today and OOF that was a hard workout. Not impossible - the trainer was a good dude who was helpful when I needed to make adjustments - but I was just drained all over. Which is probably a good thing because I know I pushed myself. The nice thing is being able to follow your stats during the workout itself - it motivates you to push yourself that extra bit to make yourself hit that afterburn range.

I signed up and am going to try to give it a shot for a couple months to see what's up.

Please keep us posted on what you think. I’m very interested.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#1089 » by stellation » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:22 am

humanrefutation wrote:I know I mentioned earlier that I was trying out Orange Theory Fitness - just got back from my first session today and OOF that was a hard workout. Not impossible - the trainer was a good dude who was helpful when I needed to make adjustments - but I was just drained all over. Which is probably a good thing because I know I pushed myself. The nice thing is being able to follow your stats during the workout itself - it motivates you to push yourself that extra bit to make yourself hit that afterburn range.

Single guy, looking to eat healthier AND checking out a new gym?

We know what's up, fella! Best of luck! :D
#FreeChuckDiesel
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#1090 » by jschligs » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:41 pm

trwi7 wrote:I don't really get Hello Fresh. They just give you the ingredients. You still have to make the ****. You're paying out the ass for the convenience of what?

Yea, you basically pay for someone to grocery shop for you and give you easy/good/quick recipes. It’s also nice for folks who don’t have a lot of herbs and spices around home as they give the perfect amount of ingredients. It was good for me when I worked a ton and was living in an apartment.
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,142

Post#1091 » by JEIS » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:57 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Anyone here using a meal delivery service that they like? I'm thinking of giving it a test run for a bit.

I tried imperfect produce and Oberweis. The biggest negative is they both at times run out of stuff and put weird random items in its place.

I would say I eat healthier shopping that way. It isn't as cheap per item as going to a grocery store, but you usually spend less on impulse buys.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#1092 » by LUKE23 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:57 pm

I've heard very good things about Orange Theory from my friends that go. Only reason I'm not really into it is the calorie burn. I'm a skinny ass high metabolism guy already, and more focused on working out to build muscle. Orange Theory is more suited if you're looking to tone or lose weight, but I've heard crazy **** like 800-1,000 calories burned in a workout.

I joined BeachBody a few months ago and spent the money on a ton of dumbbells for a home gym. We will be putting rubber floor into our new house with a TV in the workout room, and just stream it. Lots of workout programs on BeachBody, been pretty impressed with it, and I think it was only $99 per year. Can stream on any device, we use our Amazon FireStick.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#1093 » by LUKE23 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:00 pm

We are doing Imperfect Produce and I'd give it pretty high reviews so far.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1094 » by crkone » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:15 pm

LUKE23 wrote:We are doing Imperfect Produce and I'd give it pretty high reviews so far.

We do it in the winter/spring after farmer's markets are over

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,589

Post#1095 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:17 pm

I just went golfing with a guy I hadn't seen in a while and he looked great. He mentioned he'd been doing Orange Theory for a year and loved it. He used to putz around the gym lifting or just getting on a treadmill but now he's in and focused for an hour and out of there.

You are going to be sore AF the first week or so but by week two or three you are going to start feeling great.

Re: Imperfect Produce. We do it and results are mixed mostly through our own fault. I like the stuff we get and it's opened us up to things we usually wouldn't eat - kale, spaghetti squash, pomegranates, etc. But oftentimes we aren't able to finish it all and throw some away. If you do that service I recommend meal planning so you can cook/eat it as soon as its delivered.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,915

Post#1096 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:33 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
I joined BeachBody a few months ago and spent the money on a ton of dumbbells for a home gym. We will be putting rubber floor into our new house with a TV in the workout room, and just stream it. Lots of workout programs on BeachBody, been pretty impressed with it, and I think it was only $99 per year. Can stream on any device, we use our Amazon FireStick.

BB does have some good stuff. Lots of variety. I always end up back with the original P90X.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,572

Post#1097 » by chonestown » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Group workouts are creepy and expensive. Do some cardio that makes you short of breath and sweaty. Squat. Deadlift. Overhead press. Bench. Don't do that all on the same day, that'd be ridiculous. When it gets easier, add weight or reps or time or intensity. When it gets too hard, decrease weight and/or reps and/or time and/or intensity. Watch what you eat between meals. Carbs give you energy so don't be a jerk and avoid them entirely. Sprinkle in visits to real gm dot com and make each post count. Try to maintain an and-1 to posts ratio that exceeds 1.0. Maybe read a book once in a while you clod. The end.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,434

Post#1098 » by emunney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:00 pm

I have an exercise ball with 170 lbs of water in it. Highly recommend but use less water. I had a 120 lb version that I used for about 5 years until I left it outside over the winter and that was that. 100% is the reason I can still dunk on teens. It's like a magical functional strength device.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1099 » by humanrefutation » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:05 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:

I just went golfing with a guy I hadn't seen in a while and he looked great. He mentioned he'd been doing Orange Theory for a year and loved it. He used to putz around the gym lifting or just getting on a treadmill but now he's in and focused for an hour and out of there.

You are going to be sore AF the first week or so but by week two or three you are going to start feeling great.

I am definitely sore as **** right now. Goddamn, my thighs are killing me. But I knew that was going to be the case when I signed up, so if anything, I'm almost encouraged that the workout was that productive.

I used to be like your friend - I'd spend 2 hours at the gym 4x a week dedicating half the time to cardio and half to lifting weights, and while I would never describe myself as being "lazy" at the gym (like those folks you see who show up and play with their phone while sitting at the weight bench), I don't think I ever worked as hard over those two hours as I did in that one hour workout I had yesterday.

The efficiency of signing up for class through the app, showing up, putting in a really productive hour, and leaving is really appealing to me.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1100 » by humanrefutation » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:11 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I've heard very good things about Orange Theory from my friends that go. Only reason I'm not really into it is the calorie burn. I'm a skinny ass high metabolism guy already, and more focused on working out to build muscle. Orange Theory is more suited if you're looking to tone or lose weight, but I've heard crazy **** like 800-1,000 calories burned in a workout.

Yeah, it's definitely geared towards calorie burn. It is a nice combination of strength and cardio exercises, but the whole idea behind it is to get the heartrate up rather than adding mass.

I'm mostly using it because I want to feel fitter. Losing weight is a nice goal, too, but I'm less interested in falling into the trap of counting pounds and more into the idea of feeling good and finding better ways to work off stress from work/life. I've done the counting pounds things before - used to keep a spreadsheet that tracked calories in-calories out - but I found that it almost skewed my perspective on the very purpose of working out to the point that if I only saw marginal losses, I was less motivated to continue.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks