ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1101 » by stellation » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 pm

I noticed a few people have the TinyPic error/goodbye message turning up as their avatar. I had that issue, the files are gone from TinyPic but if you want to grab the exact file you can do it by;
1. going to your profile on realgm, then "edit avatar" and under there the URL it had been hosted at should be in "Link off-site" (if you try to go directly to that link you'll just get the same error message)
2. go to the Wayback Machine at https://archive.org/web/ and paste that URL for your image in there under "browse history" to see if it has any hits for the file (it hopefully will, I could fine mine so the archive was trawling either realgm or tinypic)
3. save that archive version and upload somewhere else (I popped mine on https://imgur.com/ ) then just update the URL for your avatar
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#1102 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:47 pm

stellation wrote:I noticed a few people have the TinyPic error/goodbye message turning up as their avatar. I had that issue, the files are gone from TinyPic but if you want to grab the exact file you can do it by;
1. going to your profile on realgm, then "edit avatar" and under there the URL it had been hosted at should be in "Link off-site" (if you try to go directly to that link you'll just get the same error message)
2. go to the Wayback Machine at https://archive.org/web/ and paste that URL for your image in there under "browse history" to see if it has any hits for the file (it hopefully will, I could fine mine so the archive was trawling either realgm or tinypic)
3. save that archive version and upload somewhere else (I popped mine on https://imgur.com/ ) then just update the URL for your avatar

luv u.
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,934

Post#1103 » by Perishable517 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:36 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
stellation wrote:I noticed a few people have the TinyPic error/goodbye message turning up as their avatar. I had that issue, the files are gone from TinyPic but if you want to grab the exact file you can do it by;

luv u.
Much better

Sent from my HTC U11 using RealGM mobile app
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#1104 » by stellation » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:08 am

ReasonablySober wrote:

luv u.

:cuddle
#FreeChuckDiesel
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#1105 » by trwi7 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:14 am

BEST STORMS OF THE YEAR BY FAR RIGHT NOW.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#1106 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:06 am

trwi7 wrote:BEST STORMS OF THE YEAR BY FAR RIGHT NOW.

I love the **** out of storms. But this combination of heat and humidity in combination with regular monsoons can eat my dick.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#1107 » by trwi7 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:14 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
trwi7 wrote:BEST STORMS OF THE YEAR BY FAR RIGHT NOW.

I love the **** out of storms. But this combination of heat and humidity in combination with regular monsoons can eat my dick.

It was like 70 today and not that humid.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#1108 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:52 pm

Kim Clijsters is coming out of retirement which pretty much makes my day, week, month, year, etc. One of the all-time great personalities of the sport. I can’t imagine she’ll actually challenge for titles, but just having her around again will be wonderful.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1109 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Random update on the sleep discussion from several months ago in which I mentioned an onset of insomnia mostly due to a weird panic-stress filled week for me (I usually have little stress) where I was awake for the better part of 72 hours which then caused 1-2 months of having 3-4 nights/week where I didn't get any or barely got any sleep.

Pretty much gone. A hearty thanks to some THC edibles for helping me through the short-term. I also kicked benadryl/melatonin other than melatonin as needed (the need is less and less) and random allergy meds that were prescribed for my asthma that weren't doing anything since mine isn't bad. Of course those things weren't bad but I was slowly building up a tolerance and they were began to have a reverse effect.

The underlying issue that perpetuated it for a while of, "oh ****, I haven't fallen asleep and it's 2 AM and now I'm boned for tomorrow caring for a kid + pregnant wife" which then carried me through until 4 AM or through the night type of stuff may never go away on the random bad night I will have but otherwise I have had like one bad night in the past six weeks.

There have been random nights where I am up until or after midnight or whatever reason (used to be not an issue) where the thought creeps in of, "oh crap, what if it happens again tonight" and next thing I know my kid is walking in at 6:30.

Now the fun part of kid 2 which will be any day now is here to likely wreak more havoc on me is here but I should be fine.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#1110 » by humanrefutation » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:47 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Kim Clijsters is coming out of retirement which pretty much makes my day, week, month, year, etc. One of the all-time great personalities of the sport. I can’t imagine she’ll actually challenge for titles, but just having her around again will be wonderful.

I've always been a big fan of her. Just a lovely personality.

She was the focus of one of my favorite post-match interviews of an athlete:

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,562

Post#1111 » by chonestown » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Semi-piggybacking off Kerb's update. Has anybody had any experience using edibles to treat anxiety? My father was given a diagnosis of anxiety in late July. He's been unfailingly a sweet-natured, level-headed guy but he's been plagued by erratic sleep, weak appetite and mini-bouts of negativity recently. He's self-conscious of all this and it seems to be a minor case atm, but it's clear that his brain isn't working the way it had been up to this point. He's on some meds now and I wouldn't want to introduce a new drug into the mix, but THC looks like a potential option to combat his symptoms. Feel free to add to this post or send me a PM if inclined.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1112 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:16 pm

chonestown wrote:Semi-piggybacking off Kerb's update. Has anybody had any experience using edibles to treat anxiety? My father was given a diagnosis of anxiety in late July. He's been unfailingly a sweet-natured, level-headed guy but he's been plagued by erratic sleep, weak appetite and mini-bouts of negativity recently. He's self-conscious of all this and it seems to be a minor case atm, but it's clear that his brain isn't working the way it had been up to this point. He's on some meds now and I wouldn't want to introduce a new drug into the mix, but THC looks like a potential option to combat his symptoms. Feel free to add to this post or send me a PM if inclined.

My dad has always a small bit of of anxiety issues + random panic attacks and has, uhhhh...always liked THC.

I can't speak directly to the anxiety but I think there is a good amount of medication he's gotten from that. Any time it gets over the top (once/month) he has xanax to fall back on. I think at this point of life he's just using it for sleep and does not during the day or anything.

I'd say the two things you have to be concerned about with edibles are:

1. What is being used in it (is it shake, which a lot of illegal edibles are made from)? If it's crap stuff it may not be so good. Also the sativa vs. indica thing.

2. Dosage. During my issues, I'd have 1/8th of the cookie, max and it was perfect. At a certain point it was probably a placebo but it is just enough relaxation that you don't even feel high and it cures what ails you. However, there were 1-2 nights where I took too much and my mind was racing and I'm assuming someone with anxiety might have a **** experience with that. Prior to all of my own issues I had a few experiences of having wayyyy too much and you are a mess for like 12-18 hours because you do not just get the 2-4 hour high like you do with smoking it.

Sidenote: I am not a huge user of THC. Occasionally had it growing up and very infrequently these days other than recent usage for sleep.

If you're in a legal state (basically all of them are, medically) then these issues may be correctly handled by a professional that can get the right dosage and strand.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1113 » by crkone » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Just remember that THC can actually cause anxiety in some people. It's basically from reducing norepinephrine which stimulates other areas of the brain and in a cascade effect fires up your sympathetic nervous system leading to release of cortisol.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,587

Post#1114 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:15 pm

crkone wrote:Just remember that THC can actually cause anxiety in some people. It's basically from reducing norepinephrine which stimulates other areas of the brain and in a cascade effect fires up your sympathetic nervous system leading to release of cortisol.

That's literally why I have only smoked weed like 6 times in my life. I had some really bad experiences in my 20s. Guess I needed a guide or something...wait, that's LSD.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1115 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:17 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
crkone wrote:Just remember that THC can actually cause anxiety in some people. It's basically from reducing norepinephrine which stimulates other areas of the brain and in a cascade effect fires up your sympathetic nervous system leading to release of cortisol.

That's literally why I have only smoked weed like 6 times in my life. I had some really bad experiences in my 20s. Guess I needed a guide or something...wait, that's LSD.

Also why I noted that I don't regularly do it. My brother would write papers after a bowl in college. 75% of the time, I would be a zombie on the couch with cheetos for 4 hours (not a bad thing), 25% of the time I'd freak out. A lot of it probably depends on what strain you have and how you ingested it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#1116 » by humanrefutation » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:08 pm

I think one of the challenges with weed is just the lack of medical studies - due to its illegality on a federal level - to really identify its short-term and long-term impacts on the mental health of users. I know people who smoke who have highly demanding, intellectually rigorous jobs, and their weed habit doesn't seem to impair them from being highly successful. I know others for whom weed can trigger symptoms of anxiety and depression to the point that they don't use it. It would be interesting to give researchers a chance to study its effects so we can better evaluate its potential for harm or good.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,169

Post#1117 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:23 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I think one of the challenges with weed is just the lack of medical studies - due to its illegality on a federal level - to really identify it's short-term and long-term impacts on the mental health of users. I know people who smoke who have highly demanding, intellectually rigorous jobs, and their weed habit doesn't seem to impair them from being highly successful. I know others for whom weed can trigger symptoms of anxiety and depression to the point that they don't use it. It would be interesting to give researchers a chance to study its effects so we can better evaluate its potential for harm or good.

Exactly why it needs to be legalized from a federal level so that it can be striped of schedule 1 status. We are on our way. Between that and psychedelics there is much to research on the medical frontier in relation to mental illness.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,913

Post#1118 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Kim Clijsters is coming out of retirement which pretty much makes my day, week, month, year, etc. One of the all-time great personalities of the sport. I can’t imagine she’ll actually challenge for titles, but just having her around again will be wonderful.

Love it
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#1119 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:42 pm

chonestown wrote:Semi-piggybacking off Kerb's update. Has anybody had any experience using edibles to treat anxiety? My father was given a diagnosis of anxiety in late July. He's been unfailingly a sweet-natured, level-headed guy but he's been plagued by erratic sleep, weak appetite and mini-bouts of negativity recently. He's self-conscious of all this and it seems to be a minor case atm, but it's clear that his brain isn't working the way it had been up to this point. He's on some meds now and I wouldn't want to introduce a new drug into the mix, but THC looks like a potential option to combat his symptoms. Feel free to add to this post or send me a PM if inclined.

My wife was on 15mg of anxiety meds a day but she was having some bad side affects physically. A while back she decided to start vaping and edibles on occasion and now she takes 10mg doses three times a week which has really helped her out. She feels better than she has in years.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,562

Post#1120 » by chonestown » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:44 am

Ill-yasova wrote:

My wife was on 15mg of anxiety meds a day but she was having some bad side affects physically. A while back and decided to start vaping and edibles on occasion and now she takes 10mg doses three times a week which has really helped her out. She fees better than she has in years.

Awesome. I sincerely appreciate the input.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)

Return to Milwaukee Bucks