F
3%

Total votes: 75

cojayar
Junior
And1: 106

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#361 » by cojayar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:27 pm

It is not true that Australia forced Ricky to shot. Actually he took many shots that were not so comfortable.
Including one midcourt attempt at the end of regular time.

In any case, if Spain wins the World Cup the MVP will be Ricky Rubio with a very high probability.
15.9 PPG, on 44% for 2 and 38% for 3.
6.4 AST, 4.3 REB, 1.7 STL, with too much TO (3.1).
But clear leader of the team from minute 1 of day 1.
Heavily critizised in Spain in the past, now it is all praise (black and whit fans mentality).

A real floor general that is not afraid to shot and is not so bad shooting as people may think.
He does all those things not seen on the stats.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#362 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:43 pm

If you keep putting the ball in Rubio's hands, he is capable of finding ways to help teams win even when he can't hit his shots. Today's semi-final win against Australia in FIBA Worldcup was example. Although Rubio was only 6-19 from floor, Rubio ended up with second highest efficiency for Spain at 23 after you factor in his assists, rebounds, steals and free throws.

If Phoenix tries to get cute and has Booker bring the ball up the floor late in games like Jazz often did with Mitchell, maybe because Booker is hot and Rubio is cold, and goes through entire offensive possessions without Ricky handling the ball, I think it would be a mistake.

Rubio will usually positively impact the game when he is fully engaged in the game as a ball dominating point guard. Keep giving Rubio the ball and accept his bad shooting days along with his good shooting days. JMO.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,813

Post#363 » by Saberestar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:16 pm

Read on Twitter
Biff
Starter
And1: 1,181

Post#364 » by Biff » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:39 pm

I've always thought Rubio was underrated. He plays the game the right away and does a lot of the little things that go unnoticed. The ultimate team player. I haven't understood the criticism the Suns have received regarding the contract they gave him. I thought it was our best move all offseason.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,813

Post#365 » by Saberestar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:43 pm

jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#366 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:28 pm

Saberestar wrote:

Well. He is a real pg. That is for sure. We haven't had that in a while. Even Bledsoe was not that kind of real pg.

He is also gaining a lot of confidence in that three-point shot.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,036

Post#367 » by sunsbg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:47 pm

I wonder whether Ayton is watching and taking notices how Rubio and Gasol work together. @2:20 there is a Nash-style drive with a pass to Gasol that we may see this season often.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#368 » by LesGrossman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:26 am

The fancy dribbling, crazy passes and sub-par shooting (which has been healed in recent years) distracts from his key skill: Defense and generally generating possessions for his team. He will get his team about 10 extra posessions per game, but only steals will show up in the stats. But he also draws a lot of charges, and causes several deflections which usually dont count as steals. All these are the so called "little things" that purely offensively oriented guards just dont do. The uneducated eye will quickly be a fan of crazy 3's and wild dunks, but that is not what makes your team win.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,449

Post#369 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:19 pm

Biff wrote:I've always thought Rubio was underrated. He plays the game the right away and does a lot of the little things that go unnoticed. The ultimate team player. I haven't understood the criticism the Suns have received regarding the contract they gave him. I thought it was our best move all offseason.

He's worth it if they allow him to control the ball and run the offense and Booker doesn't dominate the ball too much when Rubio is on the floor, rendering Rubio useless. That's the only reason I thought he might not be the best fit, is because Booker might dominate the ball too much. He should be good for everyone on the team when he handles the ball though and is solid defensively.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#370 » by matt131 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:00 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Biff wrote:I've always thought Rubio was underrated. He plays the game the right away and does a lot of the little things that go unnoticed. The ultimate team player. I haven't understood the criticism the Suns have received regarding the contract they gave him. I thought it was our best move all offseason.

He's worth it if they allow him to control the ball and run the offense and Booker doesn't dominate the ball too much when Rubio is on the floor, rendering Rubio useless. That's the only reason I thought he might not be the best fit, is because Booker might dominate the ball too much. He should be good for everyone on the team when he handles the ball though and is solid defensively.

Dude, love the new avatar!
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#371 » by darmani » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Congrats, Ricky!
Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#372 » by Sugarless » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:18 pm

MVP and FMVP, fully deserved as much for his defense as for his offense. Guy's got the heart of a lion and I couldn't be happier for him.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#373 » by LesGrossman » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:22 pm

It was a close call between Rubio and Gasol, and tbh also Bogdan Bogdanovic who played on an unreal level. Happy to see him receive the respect he deserves and does not get most of the time in the NBA. He left all his Utah team mates behind in the dust: Mitchell 7th place, Ingles / Australia 4th place, Gobert / France 3rd place.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
minami
Senior
And1: 514

Post#374 » by minami » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:00 pm

LesGrossman wrote:It was a close call between Rubio and Gasol, and tbh also Bogdan Bogdanovic who played on an unreal level. Happy to see him receive the respect he deserves and does not get most of the time in the NBA. He left all his Utah team mates behind in the dust: Mitchell 7th place, Ingles / Australia 4th place, Gobert / France 3rd place.

It makes you almost wanting to visit the Jazz forums...
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#375 » by SunsLyf3 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:19 pm

minami
Senior
And1: 514

Post#376 » by minami » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:24 pm

SunsLyf3 wrote:
minami wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:It was a close call between Rubio and Gasol, and tbh also Bogdan Bogdanovic who played on an unreal level. Happy to see him receive the respect he deserves and does not get most of the time in the NBA. He left all his Utah team mates behind in the dust: Mitchell 7th place, Ingles / Australia 4th place, Gobert / France 3rd place.

It makes you almost wanting to visit the Jazz forums...

I think you guys have Bogdan(McD trade to Kings) confused for Bojan Bogdanovic from Utah(former Nets/Pacers player). But nonetheless it still applies cause he did leave his teammate Barnea in the rearview.

Well it was him who said that. I distinguish the two Serbians.

And after visiting the Jazz forum they are (gladly) very happy for Ricky.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#377 » by SunsLyf3 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:29 pm

minami wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
minami wrote:It makes you almost wanting to visit the Jazz forums...

I think you guys have Bogdan(McD trade to Kings) confused for Bojan Bogdanovic from Utah(former Nets/Pacers player). But nonetheless it still applies cause he did leave his teammate Barnea in the rearview.

Nvm i just misread the post.

But yeah Ricky is playing at a very high level that if it carries over into the reg season we're in for a pleassnt surprise.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Post#378 » by spanishninja » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:01 pm

SunsLyf3 wrote:
minami wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:I think you guys have Bogdan(McD trade to Kings) confused for Bojan Bogdanovic from Utah(former Nets/Pacers player). But nonetheless it still applies cause he did leave his teammate Barnea in the rearview.

Nvm i just misread the post.

But yeah Ricky is playing at a very high level that if it carries over into the reg season we're in for a pleassnt surprise.

if he is this good during the season, I don't see it as a surprise as much as that we actually knew what we were doing by paying him.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#379 » by Crives » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Can’t wait for that Ricky/Ayton pick and roll with Saric/Book spotting up.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#380 » by Crives » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Would be cool to get Marc to the suns. Would need to move Tyler which means Ty would need to hit early.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Phoenix Suns