Jazz 2018/2019 Breakdown

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Re: Jazz 2018/2019 Breakdown 

Post#21 » by mudsak » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:37 pm

mdonnelly1989 wrote:
mudsak wrote:
Stoked wrote:Multiple thoughts.

No mention of the loss of Favors, clearly the biggest Jazz loss. Especially with the now lack of 48 minute elite rim D

Rubio slipped on man D at the point last year. The D change between Conley and Rubio based on that is negligible. The offense, and just as importantly ball security, is a substantial upgrade.

Defensive rebounding was somewhat addressed with Davis. Keep an eye on this.

With the roster changes the Jazz, a top 10 catch and shoot 3 t am last year now has 5 catch and shoot 3 players above 40%

Gobert is limited offensively. But he led the league in dunks, FG% and screen assists (again). His limits are over done. It’s more different than it is limited.

I say the Jazz finish 2nd in the west, Clippers #1, and anything short of WCFs is a failed season.

I think this is a pretty fair take... I think the expectation has to be WCF at a minimum. Tall order though... It's not like there aren't other teams who aren't fully capable of earning that spot just the same. Lakers, Houston, Nuggets, (Blazers made it last season...still a great team), etc... There isn't going to be any easy route. If they're going to make it to WCF they're going to have to have a magical season imo.

There are only 2 teams I can picture making it over the Jazz in the WCF's. The Lakers and the Clippers.

Otherwise, they have a much stronger balance both offensive/defensively than any other team in the WC IMO.

Imo Lakers/Clippers/Jazz are slight tier ahead of the other teams on Paper. And IMO the Lakers are a more favorable matchup for the Jazz than the Clippers are. But that series would go at least 6 IMO with the slight edge to Jazz because Gobert can give AD a very tough time downlow and the Lakers will rely too much from AD.

It's a super intriguing season. It's refreshing for the entire league that the Warriors have slipped back into normality to open things up.
I think the Clippers are going to be unbeatable when it matters (playoffs).

Two teams that I have no idea about... Lakers and Houston. AD/Lebron on the same team is scary, but both of those guys are really going to have to carry the load ALL SEASON if they want a high seed. Lebron is coming off an injury, has more miles on his body than any other player in the league not named Vince Carter, and AD has consistently missed a lot of games due to injury. The rest of their roster is make-shift. They'll need to do the heavy lifting all season long.

Houston... They have a phenomenal roster with a ton of well balanced talent, and probably the best offensive player in the NBA. If Westbrook/Harden can be effective together that team is going to be so dangerous.
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,325

Post#22 » by mdonnelly1989 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:52 pm

mudsak wrote:
mdonnelly1989 wrote:
mudsak wrote:
I think this is a pretty fair take... I think the expectation has to be WCF at a minimum. Tall order though... It's not like there aren't other teams who aren't fully capable of earning that spot just the same. Lakers, Houston, Nuggets, (Blazers made it last season...still a great team), etc... There isn't going to be any easy route. If they're going to make it to WCF they're going to have to have a magical season imo.

There are only 2 teams I can picture making it over the Jazz in the WCF's. The Lakers and the Clippers.

Otherwise, they have a much stronger balance both offensive/defensively than any other team in the WC IMO.

Imo Lakers/Clippers/Jazz are slight tier ahead of the other teams on Paper. And IMO the Lakers are a more favorable matchup for the Jazz than the Clippers are. But that series would go at least 6 IMO with the slight edge to Jazz because Gobert can give AD a very tough time downlow and the Lakers will rely too much from AD.

It's a super intriguing season. It's refreshing for the entire league that the Warriors have slipped back into normality to open things up.
I think the Clippers are going to be unbeatable when it matters (playoffs).

Two teams that I have no idea about... Lakers and Houston. AD/Lebron on the same team is scary, but both of those guys are really going to have to carry the load ALL SEASON if they want a high seed. Lebron is coming off an injury, has more miles on his body than any other player in the league not named Vince Carter, and AD has consistently missed a lot of games due to injury. The rest of their roster is make-shift. They'll need to do the heavy lifting all season long.

Houston... They have a phenomenal roster with a ton of well balanced talent, and probably the best offensive player in the NBA. If Westbrook/Harden can be effective together that team is going to be so dangerous.

Imo the Rockets are not that scary to be because of WB and Harden. Yes they are both individually great players but both need the ball in their hands and in the half court when the game is on the line I don't trust either player tbh.

What makes them dangerous is because of Eric Gordon gives them potentially a very scary 3 hearded monster. Although when it's all said and done I think their defense and WB/Hardens game overlap too much will let them down in the 2nd round.
Filthadelphia
Senior
And1: 751

Post#23 » by Filthadelphia » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:35 am

The Nuggets are etter than the Jazz imo.
Conley was not an offensive threat to elite teams in his prime, how is he gonna be that now at 32 sharing the backcourt with a high usage guy liek Mitchell?

Theyre offense will steal leave their fans wanting and theyll be a 2nd round exit.
AVATAR BET W RAPS FANS: Sixers beat Raps in 2018 playoffs
-binjumper
-And1+2
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#24 » by 50CalClips » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:47 am

Change Thread Title: "Jazz 2019-20 Breakdown"

I'd say the Jazz' best Title chances will be for 2010-21 season, when Mitchell will be closer to his prime (and before key contracts are up)
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,164

Post#25 » by og15 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:50 am

Thread title made me think this was a resurrected thread from last off-season.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#26 » by mudsak » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:44 am

Filthadelphia wrote:The Nuggets are etter than the Jazz imo.
Conley was not an offensive threat to elite teams in his prime, how is he gonna be that now at 32 sharing the backcourt with a high usage guy liek Mitchell?

Their offense will still leave their fans wanting and theyll be a 2nd round exit.

I don't think the Nuggets were better than the Jazz last season tbh. The Jazz gave the Nuggets a lot of trouble, and won the season series between the two teams. The Jazz from a matchup standpoint are less than ideal for the Nuggets. Jazz were one of the few teams in the NBA to handle the Nuggets in Denver, probably in part due to the fact that the elevation isn't an advantage for the Nuggets vs the Jazz, and also Gobert gave Jokic trouble. I think the kicker here is that Favors was always an underrated player for the Jazz, and always handled a lot of dirty work down low. But... Jazz offense will be so much better this coming season though... it's not the same team from an offensive standpoint. Conley will open things up immensely in comparison to Rubio... and Bojan essentially taking Crowders place... that is a HUGE difference in offensive firepower. Defenses won't be able to cherry-pick on Mitchell like they did all season last year, and Gobert is going to have a lot more space to be effective in the paint. This Jazz roster is well balanced, and well coached.

Should be a fun year for the Jazz in a stacked west.
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,325

Post#27 » by mdonnelly1989 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:14 pm

Return to The General Board