ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXVI

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,603

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1281 » by pancakes3 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:54 pm

the rationalization that i love seeing is that it's not RACIST to key in on central america, haiti, bahamas, or muslim nations, because being central american, haitian, bahamian, or from the 7 countries banned isn't a race.

and re: debate last night? i felt that biden was awful and incoherent and yet this morning, CNN and other outlets are saying he "won" the debate. really running with the argument that he came off as humanized after Castro's "attack."

i really don't think they were attacks. to assume it's age-based instead of fact-based is the real insult.

biden just looks crazy old. i wish he would give it up.

and i don't buy Castro's story in his closing arguments. there are ethical rules for sure but i don't think he would be compelled to quit his lawyer job to stay on the council. just recuse himself from work with that particular client (or even that particular issue). happens all the time.
Bullets -> Wizards
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#1282 » by dckingsfan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:14 pm

pancakes3 wrote:...biden just looks crazy old. i wish he would give it up...

yeah, both Biden and Sanders looked ancient - no way either of them makes it through 8 years.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1283 » by dckingsfan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 pm

dobrojim wrote:was hanging out with running buddies at one of their houses last night.
The host was channel surfing between various games and the debate.
The other guy is a rightie. Seems to me he has a serious problem with
denial trying to claim Trump's not a racist. There is a big heaping pile
of rationalizations that one needs to believe that. He also tried to
claim that Trump's immigration policy was in favor of reform beyond
getting more Norwegians (code for white people) to come to the this country.
I guess people know that racism is a bad ugly thing and have to
do these these rationalizations in order to maintain self respect.
This is where tribalism has brought us.

A week ago I was with a group of guys that play poker together. 2 are Ds, 5 are Rs. 1 of the Rs is flat out racist. The other is all about abortion. All 5 Rs voted for trump.

For a time I have been bringing up the unhinged nature of our current POSTUS. Like all the issues but one at a time. At the game, one of the Rs announced he wasn't voting for Trump again. He won't vote for the D candidate - but who cares. Then one of the other Rs said he wasn't going to vote for Trump either. The guy that was all about abortion became unhinged. And he got up and left. Then the 3rd R said he wasn't voting for Trump.

Not sure it will actually play out that way. But interesting non-the-less.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,301

Post#1284 » by dobrojim » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:10 pm

I have my doubts my rightie friend will do anything other than vote for Trump again.
Hopefully the dem will carry VA and his vote will be for naught.

But what you wrote is encouraging...this is in TX? If the Pub doesn't carry TX,
it's all but game over. Or at least that would, as they say, narrow the GOP pathway
to 270 by quite a lot.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#1285 » by pancakes3 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:18 pm

the political ad where a pic of AOC goes up in flames, and libs are compared to the Khmer Rouge is a story in and of itself.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... oices.html
Bullets -> Wizards
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#1286 » by Kanyewest » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:26 pm

My friend who is a Trump supporter thinks there is a good chance that Trump loses. He says it might be Warren but has no idea. He also said that Biden is dumber than Trump and Harris is meaner than him.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#1287 » by pancakes3 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:44 pm

i agree with all of that.
Bullets -> Wizards
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1288 » by dckingsfan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:16 pm

dobrojim wrote:I have my doubts my rightie friend will do anything other than vote for Trump again.
Hopefully the dem will carry VA and his vote will be for naught.

But what you wrote is encouraging...this is in TX? If the Pub doesn't carry TX,
it's all but game over. Or at least that would, as they say, narrow the GOP pathway
to 270 by quite a lot.

Yep, Texas but Houston. Basically voted like DC - so there is that little thing of the rest of Texas. But it is encouraging that the Texas cities are slanting hard away from Trump.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,352

Post#1289 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:58 pm

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1290 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:35 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Those tariffs must really be working! And thank goodness Mexico is paying for the wall.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#1291 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:41 pm

It's not just the tariffs -- the tax cuts for the wealthy are in there too. If it hadn't been for those tax cuts, the deficit might be even bigger!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#1292 » by TGW » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:18 am

Wonder why Uncle Bernie always sounds mad when it comes to healthcare? Because he hears these stories every effin' day.

Read on Twitter
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,630

Post#1293 » by Pointgod » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:36 am

dckingsfan wrote:Thoughts on the debate?

I don’t think anything changed in terms of positioning after this debate. No one really stood out to me but unequivocally everyone of them would make a better President than Trump and the Democrats have a more substantive platform than whatever snake oil Republicans are peddling.

Read on Twitter
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1294 » by dckingsfan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:04 am

Interesting - Warren, Buttigieg, Booker and Beto the big winners - Castro probably is done.

Seems like Warren has all the momentum now - with the inevitable fall of Biden (IMO) and Bernie continuing to scream at the clouds. I wonder if she doesn't pick one of Buttigieg or Beto as her running mate?
Pointgod wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Thoughts on the debate?

I don’t think anything changed in terms of positioning after this debate. No one really stood out to me but unequivocally everyone of them would make a better President than Trump and the Democrats have a more substantive platform than whatever snake oil Republicans are peddling.

Read on Twitter
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#1295 » by pancakes3 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:11 am

god, i hope that there's an inevitable fall of Biden but once boomers latch on to something, they never really let go and he's got an inexplicable stranglehold on the older dem demographic (across all racial lines)
Bullets -> Wizards
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#1296 » by doclinkin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:19 am

pancakes3 wrote:god, i hope that there's an inevitable fall of Biden but once boomers latch on to something, they never really let go and he's got an inexplicable stranglehold on the older dem demographic (across all racial lines)

Biden is the corporate candidate. Of course CNN et al will pump him as the winner. They’re justifiably anxious about the anti-monopoly ‘structural change’ we’d see under President Warren.

Boomers would be fine with Warren. She’s their classmate too. But big money feels safe with uncle joe.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1297 » by Kanyewest » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:13 am

dckingsfan wrote:Interesting - Warren, Buttigieg, Booker and Beto the big winners - Castro probably is done.

Seems like Warren has all the momentum now - with the inevitable fall of Biden (IMO) and Bernie continuing to scream at the clouds. I wonder if she doesn't pick one of Buttigieg or Beto as her running mate?

If I had to guess, maybe Warren picks Castro- it seemed like Castro was praising Bernie and Warren on their stance on healthcare and may be doing Warren's dirty work.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#1298 » by pancakes3 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:17 am

Bernie came off a little negative in the post-game interview re: Castro's shots at Biden - said that personal attacks aren't warranted, so I also think that Warren and Castro is the more likely fit.
Bullets -> Wizards
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1299 » by Kanyewest » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:20 am

pancakes3 wrote:god, i hope that there's an inevitable fall of Biden but once boomers latch on to something, they never really let go and he's got an inexplicable stranglehold on the older dem demographic (across all racial lines)

Talking to a few Biden supporter tonight, their politics are moderate compared to Warren/Sanders. They view Mayor Pete as too inexperienced, Harris as inauthentic, Castro as too mean, and Amy Kloubacher as non-competitive.

But yeah, I'm getting close to supporting anybody but Biden on the Democratic ticket if he keeps up his nonsensical responses.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#1300 » by FAH1223 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:22 am

pancakes3 wrote:Bernie came off a little negative in the post-game interview re: Castro's shots at Biden - said that personal attacks aren't warranted, so I also think that Warren and Castro is the more likely fit.

Ryan Grim of The Intercept hypothesized that too

I'm enjoying watching RISING during this election season.

Return to Washington Wizards