OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,922

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1621 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:44 am

So a couple thoughts after way too many hours played over the last 24+.

• Borderlands made a couple things needlessly worse.

The inventory system is a huge mess, like it's mostly always been. But least in the past you could organize it in a way that wasn't awful. They got rid of the list system, so now even when you organize by type you just get this big blob of equipment. That HAS to be patched at some point.

They also took what was already shaky matchmaking and removed the ability to select the groups you wanted to play with. This was a system that needed improving, not making worse.

• No option to ignore side missions in the missions list. WTF?

• They haven't yet figured out how to make side missions worth it. I think, like other game in the series, the side missions can be really good. But if you're playing the game to level up, knowing that the end game is when Borderlands begins, give me a good reason to check off the list of side missions that don't offer rewards commensurate to the time they take to complete. Once you start running into bosses, it's obvious the quickest way to get good gear and level up is just to spend your time farming.

I'm at level 16. I've done seven story missions, seven side missions, and I've got a que of eight side missions that I'll never do because I'm so over-leveled for them. I just, for the hell of it, did one at level 17. Took about 30 minutes, gave me a couple weapons (one I might use) and a nominal amount of XP. I could have farmer Captain Traunt five times in that amount of time, gotten better gear, and probably raised an entire level.

It's the same probablem every BL game has run into.

ETA: So the solution to the problem would be this:

- Bosses can't be farmed. You kill them once, you're done.
- You're guaranteed their legendary and epic drops, but it's a roll of the dice what kind of modifiers you get.

I don't even know if I would like it, but that's the solution.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,631

Post#1622 » by StickeeFingaz » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:59 pm

This is probably a stupid question but I'm a Borderlands noob. How do you determine which items to pick up? It seems like the higher the item score means the better item, but also just taking into account personal preference? Should I be selling all of the guns/items I don't want or just drop them?
#FreeChuckDiesel
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,640

Post#1623 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:12 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:This is probably a stupid question but I'm a Borderlands noob. How do you determine which items to pick up? It seems like the higher the item score means the better item, but also just taking into account personal preference? Should I be selling all of the guns/items I don't want or just drop them?

IMO...

Item score is a good visual indicator but not an end-all be-all. I mean, if something is like 50 points higher that's probably a good indicator, but your play style, character, and skills absolutely matter.

I generally don't pick up white. I will pick up any colors, and when my inventory is full, I'll look through to see if I should go back and sell or if I should just drop stuff. At this point, I'm looking for things worth around $100.

ETA And yes, inventory is a disaster.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1624 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Holy **** holy ****. This is in Japanese so I have no idea what they're saying, but it's a full boss battle with a look at how summons work (Ifrit).
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#1625 » by StickeeFingaz » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:17 pm

So I killed Mouth Piece and he dropped two blue guns which were already worse than what I had equipped. Is it worth it to keep fighting him until I get better drops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#FreeChuckDiesel
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,049

Post#1626 » by MissKhriddleton » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Has 2K or Madden had any fundamental gameplay changes this year? I'd love to get back into sports gaming but everytime I pick one up something just feels off.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1627 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:45 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:So I killed Mouth Piece and he dropped two blue guns which were already worse than what I had equipped. Is it worth it to keep fighting him until I get better drops?

I think it's worth farming him until you're at level 11-12. His Legendary shotgun is incredibly valuable, and I got an Epic (purple) rifle that I'm still using at level 16.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1628 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:49 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:This is probably a stupid question but I'm a Borderlands noob. How do you determine which items to pick up? It seems like the higher the item score means the better item, but also just taking into account personal preference? Should I be selling all of the guns/items I don't want or just drop them?

My thing is I pick up greens and above, but by level 12ish I know I'm not gonna use them. This game seems VERY generous with the loot so I pick up the greens and even blues, mark them as junk, and dump them in the nearest vending machine for cash.

One difference between this game and the past games is they made cash really pretty important. You used to have to use Eiridium to upgrade your storage and ammo limit. Now you have to use cash, while the Eiridium is used to buy cool weapons. That's a change I really like.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#1629 » by StickeeFingaz » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:So I killed Mouth Piece and he dropped two blue guns which were already worse than what I had equipped. Is it worth it to keep fighting him until I get better drops?

I think it's worth farming him until you're at level 11-12. His Legendary shotgun is incredibly valuable, and I got an Epic (purple) rifle that I'm still using at level 16.

Yea I’m level 8. Weapons don’t scale with your character level, correct? So you got a purple weapon around level 11-12 and it’s still viable when you’re at level 16?

#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1630 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:52 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Yea I’m level 8. Weapons don’t scale with your character level, correct? So you got a purple weapon around level 11-12 and it’s still viable when you’re at level 16?

Yea, if you get a Legendary or an Epic you love at 10 (which is what I think MP drops, though it could be 8, I can't remember), you'll use it for a good long while if you want. Doesn't scale, but the weapon is so good it doesn't matter.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1631 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:48 pm

Man, Legendary guns just change everything. I got a flame thrower and am absolutely wrecking.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#1632 » by StickeeFingaz » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Level 10, still no legendary guns for me, just a couple of purples.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1633 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Soloing the Katagawa Ball on the first attempt while under-leveled just a bit feels amazing. Bitch didn't drop me dick, though.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1634 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Looked up Eridium farming. Happened upon this technique to use during Chapter 10.

The best way to farm Eridium arrives at around chapter 10. As soon as you clear out the first vault, slaying the guardian of the vault in the Forgotten Basilica and entering Vault of the Rampager, you’ll gain access to an artifact that lets you melee Eridium to harvest it. To start this quick farming method you must not progress any further in the Beneath the Meridian mission. Instead you simply harvest the Eridium crystals that seal the vault’s chests shut then quit the game and restart.

You’ll be lumped back at the last checkpoint with no boss to slay and can simply run straight into the vault to farm the Eridium from the chests. Better still, you’ll occasionally be able to open the chests so you can farm weapons, too. You should get a few hundred Eridium with each run, so if you’re committed, you can farm thousands of Eridium before resuming with the main story in Borderlands 3. Eridium is a very useful resource for getting Borderlands 3 weapons, Borderlands 3 anointed gear, and improving your Borderlands 3 builds.

Restarting the game near a resource is the basic method of farming most items in Borderlands 3 though so there may be faster ways of farming Eridium than this one.

I'm not gonna say this is game breaking, but it's still pretty ridiculous if it's as easy as this is described. I'm gonna try it out.

ETA: This is not worth the time it takes to farm it. You only get about 10 Eridium per.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#1635 » by StickeeFingaz » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:48 am

I'm a level 12 FL4K but I'm tempted to start another character just to get a feel of what it's like. Who are you guys playing as?

Still no no legendary items BTW. Just beat Megamind or whatever his name is.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1636 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:09 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:I'm a level 12 FL4K but I'm tempted to start another character just to get a feel of what it's like. Who are you guys playing as?

I'm playing as Zane and he's not great early on. I'm at 19 and his usefulness is entirely based upon being a decoy (which is pretty nice, grant you). It's his higher level stuff I'm into.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,728

Post#1637 » by Licensed to Il » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:10 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:Has 2K or Madden had any fundamental gameplay changes this year? I'd love to get back into sports gaming but everytime I pick one up something just feels off.

Last year’s Madden was probably the worst in a decade in terms of the way mechanics, animations, game physics, etc rendered it epically frustrating to play.

This year’s version is much improved, but they will still do stuff like slow down your player in the open field, cause you to lose fumbles as soon as you go up two scores on the computer, a pulling guard will inexplicably double back and block someone who is not a threat instead of spring you for a big run vs a OLB as the pre play art indicates, etc.

If you really like the intricacies of football, it is fun to play the computer on high difficulty... a real puzzle of trying to diagnose defenses, etc. If you try to play online, it becomes a much different experience where people with too much time on their hand have figured out all the glitches and quirky tricks.

My biggest complaint is that there are some “traps” programmed in to the game. Like if you throw to a wide open speed back or WR in the flat, they slow and lumber so much in their turn upfield that a trailing defender 3 steps behind will catch them. If you have a receiver downfield on a crossing route about to come open they sometimes just stop, or the defender gets an unexplained turbo boost to catch up after you throw it. Ive had many defenders with their back to the qb come off one receiver only to contort and hover oddly to pick it off from a previously uncovered WR (which like, you can’t do if you aren’t watching the ball). Once in the third quarter I threw a comeback route for the first time all game vs a cover 1 (the corner has one on one coverage down the whole field and in real life has to take away the streak) and he jumped it and pick 6’d it.

On one hand, its a pretty sophisticated simulation. On the other, there are some problematic glitchy things.

Its mostly geared for adolescents and teens.. everything in game pushes you to get XP, buy and trade coins, use special powers (not kidding), etc.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,750

Post#1638 » by tydett » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:56 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:I'm a level 12 FL4K but I'm tempted to start another character just to get a feel of what it's like. Who are you guys playing as?

I'm playing as Zane and he's not great early on. I'm at 19 and his usefulness is entirely based upon being a decoy (which is pretty nice, grant you). It's his higher level stuff I'm into.

Moze's mech is a **** blast and wrecks things. One tree in particular lowers the cooldown on her mech while (ultimately) making her grenades heal her, increasing her grenade count, and then making her normal weapon shots do splash damage, which also lowers the cooldown. She's a **** beast and would highly recommend.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1639 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:18 pm

tydett wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Moze's mech is a **** blast and wrecks things. One tree in particular lowers the cooldown on her mech while (ultimately) making her grenades heal her, increasing her grenade count, and then making her normal weapon shots do splash damage, which also lowers the cooldown. She's a **** beast and would highly recommend.

I’m playing Fl4k in SP and he’s excellent, with the pet (which helps tremendously with rakks), and healing abilities. Don’t regret my pick at all.

I’m playing Zane in MP and think he is immediately pretty great, as well. With the decoy, I die less than my teammates. Just level 6 though - we haven’t gotten super far.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1640 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:45 pm

I reached the point of my legendary (lvl 4) no longer being effective. I'm doing okay on guns right now, but is there a general consensus on when you should start using golden keys?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks