ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the Offseason, Take 2

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Re: Around the Offseason, Take 2 

Post#1241 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:44 pm

HEZI wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:I think there’s hope for Fiz. I was a big fan of the Memphis team he coached that took the Spurs to 6 games. We’ll just have to wait and see.

That Memphis team was brutal offensively though. I was a fan of them because they were just scrappy and embraced the whole grit and grind mentality but that's really how they survived in games, they made them ugly. Offensively they had a lot of struggles and it wasn't pretty basketball to watch by any means. What made them interesting was their 4th quarters, it was always a wild one from an intensity standpoint, but not necessarily from a skills and execution standpoint.

I'm hoping the Knicks can become a lot more dynamic offensively than those Grizzlies ever were

In fairness to Fiz, those teams weren't that offensively gifted or deep after Conley and Gasol, right? It wasn't that long ago, so just going from general impression; didn't look up the roster on bball reference.

This team seems to have more depth of options on offense, if not the proven guard of Conley or well established big of Gasol.

Another way to guage Fiz's coaching acumen, I guess.

He can't be bad as a coach when he seems to have a lot of supporters in the league. Maybe it's just if he's actually good, instead of average. Oh well - an average coach who the players like is a good thing too, when the team has talent, which one day the Knicks might get - the team has the flexibility and the picks to have some chances at it, so that's a good thing. Plus whatever develops from who is on the team now.
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,570

Post#1242 » by Buttah304 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:03 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
HEZI wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:I think there’s hope for Fiz. I was a big fan of the Memphis team he coached that took the Spurs to 6 games. We’ll just have to wait and see.

That Memphis team was brutal offensively though. I was a fan of them because they were just scrappy and embraced the whole grit and grind mentality but that's really how they survived in games, they made them ugly. Offensively they had a lot of struggles and it wasn't pretty basketball to watch by any means. What made them interesting was their 4th quarters, it was always a wild one from an intensity standpoint, but not necessarily from a skills and execution standpoint.

I'm hoping the Knicks can become a lot more dynamic offensively than those Grizzlies ever were

In fairness to Fiz, those teams weren't that offensively gifted or deep after Conley and Gasol, right? It wasn't that long ago, so just going from general impression; didn't look up the roster on bball reference.

This team seems to have more depth of options on offense, if not the proven guard of Conley or well established big of Gasol.

He can't be bad as a coach when he seems to have a lot of supporters in the league. Maybe it's just if he's actually good, instead of average. Oh well - an average coach who the players like is a good thing too, when the team has talent, which one day the Knicks might get - the team has the flexibility and the picks to have some chances at it, so that's a good thing. Plus whatever develops from who is on the team now.

We need RJ to blossom into an elite prospect. Like Sham always says it’s incredibly hard to win in this league without premier talent - in fact multiple players. I do believe RJ has the overall skill set and drive to be who we think he can become. Let’s see what happens. I’m hoping we’ll look back and say now that’s a player you can build a team around.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1243 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Buttah304 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
HEZI wrote:

We need RJ to blossom into an elite prospect. Like Sham always says it’s incredibly hard to win in this league without premier talent - in fact multiple players. I do believe RJ has the overall skill set and drive to be who we think he can become. Let’s see what happens. I’m hoping we’ll look back and say now that’s a player you can build a team around.

Pretty much. Bare minimum he has to become a true #2 option.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,811

Post#1244 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:56 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Buttah304 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Pretty much. Bare minimum he has to become a true #2 option.

After all, Argentina wins without any top talent, Toronto won with only one, the Pistons with mostly defense. That's key: defense.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1245 » by HEZI » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:05 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
HEZI wrote:

They really weren't so I don't blame Fiz for that at all. I think Fiz is a better coach than people on this board give him credit for.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#1246 » by BKlutch » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:21 pm

god shammgod wrote:
GONYK wrote:
god shammgod wrote:My argument is not that fiz didn’t suck. He did. It’s that the nets established anything defensively before this past year. Even throwing up endless 3s because you watched Dantoni do it is not exactly genius level coaching. The nets as a well oiled machine is a kind of an overblown narrative. They had a young point guard who went crazy for his next contract more than anything else.

The Nets were playing fast and shooting 3's well before D-Lo got there. I don't know why you are bringing up defense as if it invalidates anything, but they also got better defensively each year under Atkinson.

I'm not talking about results though. I'm solely focused on identity.

Playing fast and shooting 3's is not a novel identity by any means, but it was one they were able to execute. They knew who they were.

Fizdale missed that very low mark.

d-lo is what made them successful though. an identity that doesn't lead to success is kind of meaningless. i mean, the triangle was an identity.

i just don't like them as an example of great basketball execution at work. their pr machine has been working overtime for a year now. i've never seen a .500 team get so much praise.

anyway, back to fiz since this is the point you're trying to make. you're right, he didn't establish an identity, or a rotation, or a starting lineup, or anything. so he's either the worst coach of all time or he was just looking for ways to tank. i thought the former early on but now i tend to think it must be the latter. if it goes like this again he'll be on the hot seat. i can't imagine they'll be a 3rd year of that. 2 seems like the limit.

Right about the Nyets and right about Fiz.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#1247 » by BKlutch » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:24 pm

There are widely differing points of view about Fiz here. Both you and Mecca will at least have to wait until the season before the season begins before you know who is right.

Me, I'm hoping you are. But either way, I want this issue decided this year.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1248 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:41 pm

BKlutch wrote:

There are widely differing points of view about Fiz here. Both you and Mecca will at least have to wait until the season before the season begins before you know who is right.

I've bashed him plenty and was pretty frustrated at the style of play, but assuming as another poster said, premium on attacking the basket was the culture being developed, than more talented players and the ability to make the correct reads and cuts off that could/should happen this year.

I don't expect some awesome team, but 35 wins and relatively decent quality basketball shouldn't be a stretch. Then maybe .500 and 40-41 wins with some luck, lack of injuries etc.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#1249 » by BKlutch » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:45 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

I've bashed him plenty and was pretty frustrated at the style of play, but assuming as another poster said, premium on attacking the basket was the culture being developed, than more talented players and the ability to make the correct reads and cuts off that could/should happen this year.

I don't expect some awesome team, but 35 wins and relatively decent quality basketball shouldn't be a stretch. Then maybe .500 and 40-41 wins with some luck, lack of injuries etc.

I'd project up to 35 wins, and agree with a ceiling of 40 if everything goes as well as possible and one or two guys really outperform their expectations. That's not impossible, but it's not likely.

What I most want to see is the young guys finding their way and a path forward for improving over the next few years, a team style develop, a (partially) regular rotation so we can identify which pieces aren't performing as well and look to the draft and FA to plug our holes in the future. But the way we played last year and given the number of new guys this year, we can't say right now what the team should look like.

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1250 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Not around the NBA, but off topic, but interesting video (there's a part 2 after)

HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,473

Post#1251 » by HerSports85 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:33 pm

LMAO this **** so funny

Read on Twitter
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#1252 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 pm

HerSports85 wrote:LMAO this **** so funny

Read on Twitter

I'll wait for the KD Coaster night
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,714

Post#1253 » by JBreezeNY » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Do teams usually do this? That’s kinda odd
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#1254 » by Knicksfan1992 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Rent free
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1255 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Shouldn't it be a cast or some other medical device?
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1256 » by HerSports85 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:25 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:

Read on Twitter

Maybe I haven’t been paying attention, but I never seen a team giveaway jerseys at a game
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1257 » by HerSports85 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Read on Twitter
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,914

Post#1258 » by stuporman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:05 pm

It seems like this YouTube 'coach' is unaware that they are using a system like the Rockets and how D'Antoni uses his guards...

Oh and now there will be almost 10,000 Knick fans with Nets Kyrie jersies to creatively destroy on social media...:lol:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,182

Post#1259 » by DOT » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:13 am

HerSports85 wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:

Read on Twitter

Maybe I haven’t been paying attention, but I never seen a team giveaway jerseys at a game

I mean, maybe a few, but 10,000?

Barclays only has like 17,000 seats, so like 60% of a full house will get one

Or, as Nets fans call it, a sold out arena
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#1260 » by malik959 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:00 am

HerSports85 wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:

Read on Twitter

In other words " hey we only filled 5 seats soooo were giving away Non Authentic jerseys to get people to come!"

Return to New York Knicks