ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXVI

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1301 » by dckingsfan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:29 pm

Who would be the best VP candidate to get Warren by the swing states? Guessing that isn't Castro?
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1302 » by Kanyewest » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Florida is a swing state, assuming Castro is still strong with Hispanics. Also more the contrast with Warren in that he's young male/non-white. Theoretically you could nominate someone who is better in Michigan, Wisconsin, and PA- but it also means that the candidate would have to take a deal to call out Joe Biden on stage like that.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1303 » by dckingsfan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Florida is a swing state, assuming Castro is still strong with Hispanics. Also more the contrast with Warren in that he's young male/non-white. Theoretically you could nominate someone who is better in Michigan, Wisconsin, and PA- but it also means that the candidate would have to take a deal to call out Joe Biden on stage like that.

Just defining the swing states - Arizona, Georgia, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin & Florida.

Florida alone "might" tip the scales. So, I see your thinking. But, Castro doesn't register well in the Midwest, Georgia and Arizona (can't find my source now - so there is that).
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1304 » by Kanyewest » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:22 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:Florida is a swing state, assuming Castro is still strong with Hispanics. Also more the contrast with Warren in that he's young male/non-white. Theoretically you could nominate someone who is better in Michigan, Wisconsin, and PA- but it also means that the candidate would have to take a deal to call out Joe Biden on stage like that.

Just defining the swing states - Arizona, Georgia, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin & Florida.

Florida alone "might" tip the scales. So, I see your thinking. But, Castro doesn't register well in the Midwest, Georgia and Arizona (can't find my source now - so there is that).

True for most of those except Arizona. I guess it depends on how Warren wants to go about it.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1305 » by verbal8 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:50 am

dckingsfan wrote:

If Warren is looking for swing state balance to a ticket with her at the top, it would be hard to do better than Beto. Basically they should pick the closest swing state and have him camp out there. Trump also might be vulnerable to overreacting in terms of attention/resources to Beto in Texas, to avoid the potential embarrassment of losing the state.

I think Klobuchar and Buttigieg should be considered, but I think Beto has proven to be a campaigner and have coat-tails.

Harris might also be an interesting option for Warren as VP. She could "prosecute" the case against Trump while Warren focuses on the potential for a brighter future.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1306 » by Wizardspride » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:46 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#1307 » by dobrojim » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:59 am

dckingsfan wrote:
dobrojim wrote:I have my doubts my rightie friend will do anything other than vote for Trump again.
Hopefully the dem will carry VA and his vote will be for naught.

But what you wrote is encouraging...this is in TX? If the Pub doesn't carry TX,
it's all but game over. Or at least that would, as they say, narrow the GOP pathway
to 270 by quite a lot.

Yep, Texas but Houston. Basically voted like DC - so there is that little thing of the rest of Texas. But it is encouraging that the Texas cities are slanting hard away from Trump.

But Houston has to be a significant portion of Texas all by itself. It is the nations 4th largest city(?).
How would it contrast to D-FW voting preferences?
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1308 » by dobrojim » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:09 am

dckingsfan wrote:Who would be the best VP candidate to get Warren by the swing states? Guessing that isn't Castro?

I like Mayor Pete. He would really piss off Trump about his, Trump's that is, draft dodging.
He's really smart and the country as a whole (IMO obviously) is past the whole gay thing
just as they were past the whole black thing with BHO 12 and 8 years ago.

I think the Dems should go hard on corruption. It's uncomplicated and at breathtaking levels.
That was what Russia was, and is, really all about. And Saudi Arabia. And...
God help Trump (I don't actually mean that of course) if the courts rule (as they should) and
his taxes become public fodder.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1309 » by dobrojim » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:12 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I'm completely shocked by this.

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,359

Post#1310 » by doclinkin » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:51 am

Warren and Cory Booker would cover bases of youth, gender, ethnic diversity, and Rosario Dawson in the picture.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1311 » by queridiculo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:16 am

GOP holding the high ground on manufactured moral issues, but consistently falling short on morality when it matters.

Hypocrites the whole lot of them.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1312 » by Wizardspride » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:03 pm

doclinkin wrote:Warren and Cory Booker would cover bases of youth, gender, ethnic diversity, and Rosario Dawson in the picture.

Yeah, I think that's the winning ticket.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1313 » by dckingsfan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:53 pm

dobrojim wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
dobrojim wrote:I have my doubts my rightie friend will do anything other than vote for Trump again.
Hopefully the dem will carry VA and his vote will be for naught.

But what you wrote is encouraging...this is in TX? If the Pub doesn't carry TX,
it's all but game over. Or at least that would, as they say, narrow the GOP pathway
to 270 by quite a lot.

Yep, Texas but Houston. Basically voted like DC - so there is that little thing of the rest of Texas. But it is encouraging that the Texas cities are slanting hard away from Trump.

But Houston has to be a significant portion of Texas all by itself. It is the nations 4th largest city(?).
How would it contrast to D-FW voting preferences?

Houston passed Chicago for 3rd but it won't be "official" until the census.

We (Texas) is close to flipping to purple - but it is going to take some time. I don't think it happens by 2020.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#1314 » by Pointgod » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:12 pm

The Presidential ticket needs to be balanced. Learn from the last election cycle when you had two older white candidates. That’s why I think Castro would make a good VP for Warren. He’s a pit bull who won’t hold back and could help drum up the Latino vote. If Biden is the candidate then I think Harris should be the VP nominee. Who knows who Bernie would choose if he was the nominee. I think a young woman of color would be a good running mate to balance out his blind spots.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1315 » by Wizardspride » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:39 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#1316 » by Pointgod » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:52 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

There needs to be an investigation into how the FBI was prevented from doing their job. Trump and the Republicans are turning the US into a banana republic. Also I remember guys like popper and daoneandonly saying that Kavanaugh’s accusers were lying. What now?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1317 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:19 pm

We are certainly behaving like a 3rd world country. If the FBI can't act independently of the WH, that's as big of a problem as Cavanaugh being on the SC. The US is being deconstructed before our eyes in so many ways, and maybe the most disturbing part of all this is that so many people don't give a f.

And let's be clear about the Cavanaugh situation - The people supporting him would want anyone who's Latino or black to be imprisoned for decades if they had done what he most probably did.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1318 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Assuming Biden wins the primary, would either Sanders or Warren be willing to work with Biden and be his VP?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1319 » by dckingsfan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:Assuming Biden wins the primary, would either Sanders or Warren be willing to work with Biden and be his VP?

Very interesting question. And more to progressives as a whole. It seems that some progressives are still defending Trump. And some progressives are attacking Warren (who is clearly a progressive).

I don't have an answer to the question. But I have another question. If one of them (or another progressive) isn't on the ticket, what do they do?

BTW, I think Warren will be the nominee.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,325

Post#1320 » by nate33 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:58 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Who would be the best VP candidate to get Warren by the swing states? Guessing that isn't Castro?

Democrats need to focus on the getting the black vote with a high turnout much more so than the Hispanic vote. Boosting the Hispanic vote doesn't help much electorally. Trump is getting stronger and stronger in Florida, and, contrary to the rumors, Texas isn't going blue anytime soon. At best, a strong, pro-Democrat Hispanic turnout flips Arizona. That's about it.

Getting blacks to turn out in Philadelphia, Detroit and Milwaukee is the way Democrats win this thing. And that's why the DNC isn't embracing Warren (who is clearly superior to Biden as a campaigner). They're worried Warren can't attract the black vote.

I think the best VP candidate to help Warren get the black vote would be Stacy Abrams.

Return to Washington Wizards