ImageImageImageImageImage

Joakim Noah to the Clippers (rumblings are now reality)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Joakim Noah to the Clippers (rumblings are now reality) 

Post#1 » by 50CalClips » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:06 pm

https://clipperholics.com/2019/09/14/three-things-joakim-noah-la-clippers/

According to rumors, free agent big Joakim Noah worked out with the LA Clippers Thursday. If signed, he could help the team in numerous ways.

The LA Clippers have checked nearly all the boxes this offseason. They won the Kawhi Leonard sweepstakes, landed Paul George in a stunning trade, and returned key players in Patrick Beverley and JaMychal Green. LA also managed to bring in Tyronn Lue, and lock up Ivica Zubac and Rodney McGruder on long-term contracts.

All that’s left to do is patch up the remaining holes, and fortunately for the Clippers, there are very few of them. LA has a comfortable amount of depth at both guard positions, and the forwards behind Leonard and George are among the most versatile in the league...

------------- EDIT/UPDATE --------------

Read on Twitter
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,385

Re: Joakim Noah to the Clippers? (rumblings) 

Post#2 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:16 am

I’ve never liked him for some reason but he looked halfway decent last season. I hope he still has something left in the tank if they do sign him. He has always been a firey player so that could help in terms of energy
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#3 » by Yogatti » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:19 am

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#4 » by TheNewEra » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:21 pm

Would be interesting if true. Would have to cut someone if Iggy became available and Noah signs.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Not Quite Staying Pat-Pat 

Post#5 » by Ranma » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:35 am

TheNewEra wrote:Would be interesting if true. Would have to cut someone if Iggy became available and Noah signs.

Patrick Patterson would be the most likely candidate in that instance.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
TheNewEra
RealGM

Re: Not Quite Staying Pat-Pat 

Post#6 » by TheNewEra » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:37 am

Ranma wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:Would be interesting if true. Would have to cut someone if Iggy became available and Noah signs.

Absolutely can keep him on as a trainer if need be
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Re: Not Quite Staying Pat-Pat 

Post#7 » by esqtvd » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:16 am

TheNewEra wrote:
Ranma wrote:

Absolutely can keep him on as a trainer if need be

IIRC, if you cut a guy on a contract like Patterson's, you can't bring him back, at least not anytime soon. I think we scooped him up because of the real possibility we would flip Harkless as the salary match for Iggy or somebody else with a big contract. [Iggy = $17M; Harkless $12M, which gets you most of the way there.] I'm not sure Patterson is that big a falloff from Harkless, esp since we have a hole at PF, not SF. Let's see what they can do with the Clippers.

I'd rather keep that last roster spot and our options open. Who knows who might become available?

The Lakers already passed on Noah and if I read the quote correctly, his father Yannick said Joakim was going to 'work out with the Clippers,' not necessarily work out FOR the Clippers as in contemplating a contract. I could be wrong of course, but I was struck by that weird phrasing.

Would I sign Noah now, even at the minimum? Hell, Joe Johnson just agreed to only a PARTIALLY agreed contract with the Pistons. But I'd rather not be in a position to have to cut Noah. I don't want to eat Patterson's guaranteed money and salary cap hit, and frankly if I want both of them I'm more disposed to see what I can get for Jerome Robinson or see if I can get out clean from the McGruder or even the JaMychal contract when they're eligible to be traded January 15.

Me, I would have Joachim in, check out what he's got left athletically, let him hang with the team and check out his attitude and fit, let him fall in love with the Clippers, and tell him to stay in shape because he could very well even find himself starting at center in the playoffs for the LA Clippers in April 2020.

We have a lot of floating pieces right now. And Noah could sign somewhere else but still be a buyout FA in the spring. Let's keep each other high on each other's lists.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Ranma
RealGM

Noah Reportedly Will Work Out for Clips This Week 

Post#8 » by Ranma » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Yogatti
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by Yogatti » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:58 pm

Make it happen.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#10 » by TrueLAfan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Well, Noah didn’t even play until 1/3 of the season had gone by last year, and it took a while to get back into his groove. But when he got there—we’re talking about the last 20-30 games he played--he was very very effective. We’re talking 10 and 7.5 in barely 20 minutes a game, with 3 assists and a block. His On/Off numbers were great. More importantly (for us), he was a hustle guy that was popular in the locker room and with fans. So, yeah, a guy like that would be worth a real whole lot—depending on three things.

Can he play like that for 50 or 60 games? And then the playoffs? Look, we don’t really need—or want—Noah to be a 25 mpg player. Or a 20 mpg player. We’re looking for a guy who can play 13-18 mpg in 50 or 60 games, and be a playoff beast. Is he healthy enough to do that? Looking at last year—he missed the last month of the season, but still played around 700 minutes—I kinda think yes. We’d want, maybe, 10% more than that, if that.

Can he stay with some PFs? The thing about Noah when he was at his peak was his engine. He took on everyone; he played well inside and on the perimeter on both sides of the floor. He was a level below the elites of the league. Those two times in MVP voting, the three All-D teams? Not a fluke. The question now is—can he still do some of that in a (much) more limited role? It would sure help if a team went old school on us and went big. Based on his play and attitude last year, I’m going to again say yeah.

Can Trezz play at PF? This is the big one. Because, really, we’re looking at and thinking/hoping we get season minutes like this from the frontcourt:

Trezz 2200 minutes
Zu 1650 minutes
JaMychal 1600 minutes

You’ve got to figure that teams will go small and we’ll sometimes have Harkless or PG at PF. Pencil in another 1200 minutes there. That leaves over 1250 minutes. Patterson could cover some of that. But if Trezz can play at PF, I’d (much) rather have Noah for 800 of those minutes. Think of the frontcourt trios we could put out there *if* Trezz can spend 1/2 of his time at PF. It opens up a new world. My God, think of a Noah and Trezz combo—remember that Noah can still handle and pass the ball well. Consider the lineup of

Noah
Trezz
Kawhi
PG
Bev

in the final minutes of a playoff game. Noah’s block % is still over 4. His Reb% is 19 plus. He still averages an assist every 7.5 minutes. Yeah, he’d help us.

This is a fan post, but it’s a knowledgeable fan who talks about the spacing benefits and mismatches Memphis got from Noah’s perimeter passing as well as his rebounding, D, ballhandling, and attitude last season.

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2019/3/4/18249549/joakim-noah-is-still-here-nba-memphis-grizzlies
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,261

Post#11 » by nickhx2 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:18 am

really hate dumb ass headlines like these "Will adding Joakim Noah make the #Clippers a lock for this year's championship?"

like come on.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#12 » by nickhx2 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:22 am

TrueLAfan wrote:Well, Noah didn’t even play until 1/3 of the season had gone by last year, and it took a while to get back into his groove. But when he got there—we’re talking about the last 20-30 games he played--he was very very effective. We’re talking 10 and 7.5 in barely 20 minutes a game, with 3 assists and a block. His On/Off numbers were great. More importantly (for us), he was a hustle guy that was popular in the locker room and with fans. So, yeah, a guy like that would be worth a real whole lot—depending on three things.

Can he play like that for 50 or 60 games? And then the playoffs? Look, we don’t really need—or want—Noah to be a 25 mpg player. Or a 20 mpg player. We’re looking for a guy who can play 13-18 mpg in 50 or 60 games, and be a playoff beast. Is he healthy enough to do that? Looking at last year—he missed the last month of the season, but still played around 700 minutes—I kinda think yes. We’d want, maybe, 10% more than that, if that.

Can he stay with some PFs? The thing about Noah when he was at his peak was his engine. He took on everyone; he played well inside and on the perimeter on both sides of the floor. He was a level below the elites of the league. Those two times in MVP voting, the three All-D teams? Not a fluke. The question now is—can he still do some of that in a (much) more limited role? It would sure help if a team went old school on us and went big. Based on his play and attitude last year, I’m going to again say yeah.

Can Trezz play at PF? This is the big one. Because, really, we’re looking at and thinking/hoping we get season minutes like this from the frontcourt:

Trezz 2200 minutes
Zu 1650 minutes
JaMychal 1600 minutes

You’ve got to figure that teams will go small and we’ll sometimes have Harkless or PG at PF. Pencil in another 1200 minutes there. That leaves over 1250 minutes. Patterson could cover some of that. But if Trezz can play at PF, I’d (much) rather have Noah for 800 of those minutes. Think of the frontcourt trios we could put out there *if* Trezz can spend 1/2 of his time at PF. It opens up a new world. My God, think of a Noah and Trezz combo—remember that Noah can still handle and pass the ball well. Consider the lineup of

Noah
Trezz
Kawhi
PG
Bev

in the final minutes of a playoff game. Noah’s block % is still over 4. His Reb% is 19 plus. He still averages an assist every 7.5 minutes. Yeah, he’d help us.

This is a fan post, but it’s a knowledgeable fan who talks about the spacing benefits and mismatches Memphis got from Noah’s perimeter passing as well as his rebounding, D, ballhandling, and attitude last season.

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2019/3/4/18249549/joakim-noah-is-still-here-nba-memphis-grizzlies

great post and great fanpost that you linked to. i'd be pretty happy if we could sneak noah on the team if he could still do these things. maybe most of all i think he'd just fit really well with the chemistry of the team and as a second guy who can breathe fire (along with bev) while the quiet guys do the heavy lifting.
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#13 » by Young Sterling » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:18 pm

I love Noah and have been advocating for him since day 1. BUT, I wonder if the FO thinks its more prudent to work guys out, but hold off until signing someone until after the first game of the season. Season's Focus: LAC v. LAL. Let's say we lose to the LAL due to height, sure add Noah. But let's say we beat the LAL by a healthy margin and it has nothing to do with the battle of the bigs, but exposes Lakers lack of wing depth. To counter the lakers potential FO moves to add a defensive wing like Johnathan Simmons or Iggy, we would nab one of them so the Lakers don't nab him first. Although these old school towering bigs sound scary, let's not forget the new nba has made those same dominant bigs pretty obselete.

Hopefully that's the chess the FO is playing.
Yogatti
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by Yogatti » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:18 pm

Maybe the FO believes in Zubac and thinks he can hold his own against the Lakers frontcourt.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#15 » by esqtvd » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:15 am

Young Sterling wrote:I love Noah and have been advocating for him since day 1. BUT, I wonder if the FO thinks its more prudent to work guys out, but hold off until signing someone until after the first game of the season. Season's Focus: LAC v. LAL. Let's say we lose to the LAL due to height, sure add Noah. But let's say we beat the LAL by a healthy margin and it has nothing to do with the battle of the bigs, but exposes Lakers lack of wing depth. To counter the lakers potential FO moves to add a defensive wing like Johnathan Simmons or Iggy, we would nab one of them so the Lakers don't nab him first. Although these old school towering bigs sound scary, let's not forget the new nba has made those same dominant bigs pretty obselete.

Such a strange locution. Not working out FOR the Clippers but working out "with the Clippers." We're a destination, man. Everybody wants in, and some will put up with just getting a foot in the door.

I like the advanced metrics from last year on Noah too but PP showed us that you can lose it quick over just one summer. Clips FO is doing the right thing by ignoring the measurements and abstracts and seeing what Noah can still do on the court!
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#16 » by TheNewEra » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Young Sterling wrote:I love Noah and have been advocating for him since day 1. BUT, I wonder if the FO thinks its more prudent to work guys out, but hold off until signing someone until after the first game of the season. Season's Focus: LAC v. LAL. Let's say we lose to the LAL due to height, sure add Noah. But let's say we beat the LAL by a healthy margin and it has nothing to do with the battle of the bigs, but exposes Lakers lack of wing depth. To counter the lakers potential FO moves to add a defensive wing like Johnathan Simmons or Iggy, we would nab one of them so the Lakers don't nab him first. Although these old school towering bigs sound scary, let's not forget the new nba has made those same dominant bigs pretty obselete.

Think Memphis will hold tight on Iggy
Ranma
RealGM

Workout with Noah Called Off for Now 

Post#17 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:16 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#18 » by nickhx2 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:23 am

they must really be concerned about something with him.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#19 » by TheNewEra » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:40 am

Unfortunate was looking forward to having him on the team working with Zu
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#20 » by Young Sterling » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:22 am

TheNewEra wrote:

Think Memphis will hold tight on Iggy

No they're going to trade him, just probably not to either LA team. Denver and Portland should get into that trade.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers