ImageImageImageImageImage

Fort Knox: A defense of Kevin Knox

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Re: Fort Knox: A defense of Kevin Knox 

Post#821 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:54 am

BigRedDog wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
i could consider swapping malik monk and id definitely swap dwayne bacon or willy hernangomez for knox.

I wouldnt swap miles bridges or pj washington (yet)

Bacon had 1 highlight game of 25pts, while Knox had one of 31pts. The difference you ask?
Bacon was 24yrs old and Knox 5 years younger at a mere 19.

Right, that's why I said i would be willing to swap Bacon for Knox. Bacon is the better player right now, but I think Knox catches up over time.

Just march along and get back to enjoying Willie Hairproductez
VECTORMAN
Ballboy
And1: 57

Post#822 » by VECTORMAN » Tue Sep 3, 2019 8:47 pm

Remember when Knox was lighting up summer league, and a bunch of Knicks fans were labeling him the Batman to KP's Robin? Lol

I say this to highlight how talented he actually is. One very up and down rookie year isn't going to wash away my excitement for the young man. It's fun to think he will improve a lot over the next few seasons, at his size, and with that sweet looking stroke from 3. He's not an elite athlete, but he looked like a beast dunking on fools in SL. He's got a lot of size and still growing, and will continue to add muscle mass and grown man strength.

Just think about how much young talent the Knicks have. They're sort of loaded, especially compared to "young" Knicks teams over the last decade or so. I was always easily hyped for the Nate/Lee/Frye and Gallo/Chandler/Mozgov lineups of the world. But when I look down this roster, it's much more impressive than those teams.

RJ, Mitch, DSJ, Knox, Iggy, Frank, Trier, Dotson. Plus Randle who is only 24 and looks like he could be in the all-star game this year. Peyton and Portis are still young but serviceable. Plus Morris who is proven.

Oof. Fiz has his work cut out for him this year. Can't wait to see how this all fits together and how many of these guys can carve out a long term role in NY. I expect to be entertained.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#823 » by Zenzibar » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:37 pm

VECTORMAN wrote:Remember when Knox was lighting up summer league, and a bunch of Knicks fans were labeling him the Batman to KP's Robin? Lol

I say this to highlight how talented he actually is. One very up and down rookie year isn't going to wash away my excitement for the young man. It's fun to think he will improve a lot over the next few seasons, at his size, and with that sweet looking stroke from 3. He's not an elite athlete, but he looked like a beast dunking on fools in SL. He's got a lot of size and still growing, and will continue to add muscle mass and grown man strength.

Just think about how much young talent the Knicks have. They're sort of loaded, especially compared to "young" Knicks teams over the last decade or so. I was always easily hyped for the Nate/Lee/Frye and Gallo/Chandler/Mozgov lineups of the world. But when I look down this roster, it's much more impressive than those teams.

RJ, Mitch, DSJ, Knox, Iggy, Frank, Trier, Dotson. Plus Randle who is only 24 and looks like he could be in the all-star game this year. Peyton and Portis are still young but serviceable. Plus Morris who is proven.

Oof. Fiz has his work cut out for him this year. Can't wait to see how this all fits together and how many of these guys can carve out a long term role in NY. I expect to be entertained.

Enjoyed reading this post.

Isn't it funny how our fortunes have changed and now have what 99% of the fanbase was asking management for: tank correctly, solid, if not very good drafts, and loading up on young talent.

We're where we asked to be, so it's nice to see when NY Knicks fans recognize and appreciate it.

Thanks.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#824 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:22 pm

I'm pretty sure he wasn't actually "lighting up" summer league though. He put up some volume scoring numbers in a few games, and that's it. He wasn't looking like an allstar, even by summer league standards. IIRC.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
VECTORMAN
Ballboy

Post#825 » by VECTORMAN » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:33 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
VECTORMAN wrote:Remember when Knox was lighting up summer league, and a bunch of Knicks fans were labeling him the Batman to KP's Robin? Lol

Isn't it funny how our fortunes have changed and now have what 99% of the fanbase was asking management for: tank correctly, solid, if not very good drafts, and loading up on young talent.

We're where we asked to be, so it's nice to see when NY Knicks fans recognize and appreciate it.

Thanks.

There's always a lot of moping and complaining and paranoia amongst this fan base. I tend to see the brighter side of things.

You nailed it when you said this is the type of roster and situation many die-hards were asking for for years. It's been clear since the end of the Ewing era that the Knicks needed a legit rebuild. I begged for it the entire way, but also got on board with their many plans for max free agents. I got my hopes up LeBron, I put my faith in Melo, and I got my hopes up again for KD. But in the end, maybe it was all for the best. Maybe this is finally our moment.

I think RJ and Mitch are star players in the making. If one of DSJ/Knox/Randle can step up and be that 3rd star, or the Knicks can sign one in free agency down the road, and the rest of the young guys can mature into really good role players... with all of the flexibility Scott Perry has afforded us, plus finally control of all of our future picks... we may finally be able to morph this roster into a contender in the next 3 years or so.

If so, it will be glorious to have done it all from scratch, and certainly worth all the pain and suffering. Those same fans who love to complain can still kick guys like Frank and Knox while they're down, and they can pile on Fiz or Steve Mills or whoever the easy target is until they're blue in the face. I see this for what it is. This is a legit full rebuild and the Knicks are doing it quite well.
VECTORMAN
Ballboy

Post#826 » by VECTORMAN » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:36 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:I'm pretty sure he wasn't actually "lighting up" summer league though. He put up some volume scoring numbers in a few games, and that's it. He wasn't looking like an allstar, even by summer league standards. IIRC.

To be clear, I was referring to Knox's first SL in 2018. His performance there had many people including many of the typical pundits ranking him top 3-5 in a redraft. He looked really good. Check the footage.

Like I said, there were posters on this forum calling him Batman to KP's Robin. I have receipts.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#827 » by Zenzibar » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:18 am

VECTORMAN wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

Thanks.

There's always a lot of moping and complaining and paranoia amongst this fan base. I tend to see the brighter side of things.

You nailed it when you said this is the type of roster and situation many die-hards were asking for for years. It's been clear since the end of the Ewing era that the Knicks needed a legit rebuild. I begged for it the entire way, but also got on board with their many plans for max free agents. I got my hopes up LeBron, I put my faith in Melo, and I got my hopes up again for KD. But in the end, maybe it was all for the best. Maybe this is finally our moment.

I think RJ and Mitch are star players in the making. If one of DSJ/Knox/Randle can step up and be that 3rd star, or the Knicks can sign one in free agency down the road, and the rest of the young guys can mature into really good role players... with all of the flexibility Scott Perry has afforded us, plus finally control of all of our future picks... we may finally be able to morph this roster into a contender in the next 3 years or so.

If so, it will be glorious to have done it all from scratch, and certainly worth all the pain and suffering. Those same fans who love to complain can still kick guys like Frank and Knox while they're down, and they can pile on Fiz or Steve Mills or whoever the easy target is until they're blue in the face. I see this for what it is. This is a legit full rebuild and the Knicks are doing it quite well.

That's why I, like yourself, are taking delight in each small phase.
At times last year, being a Knicks fan was like rooting for a horse in the triple crown. Metaphorically speaking, many fans ripped up their betting tickets after Durant went to the Nets.

But somehow, it was alright with me. Somehow, my belief in Scott Perry and Mills has grown. That Durant wasn't here because WE decided against it. As it was decided by us, that the Anthony Davis cost was not within our present philosophy and hence stood pat.

Somehow, I rather see Mitch take another step up here in NY, same goes for Knox, Frank, Trier, RJ, etc.

That's not even considering the plethora of 1st round picks stored away, and equally amazing and as you mentioned, a stash of SUPER max money.

Seriously my fellow, how can one miss out on enjoying the state of this present Knicks organization.
VECTORMAN
Ballboy

Post#828 » by VECTORMAN » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:58 am

Zenzibar wrote:
VECTORMAN wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

Thanks.

That's why I, like yourself, are taking delight in each small phase.
At times last year, being a Knicks fan was like rooting for a horse in the triple crown. Metaphorically speaking, many fans ripped up their betting tickets after Durant went to the Nets.

But somehow, it was alright with me. Somehow, my belief in Scott Perry and Mills has grown. That Durant wasn't here because WE decided against it. As it was decided by us, that the Anthony Davis cost was not within our present philosophy and hence stood pat.

Somehow, I rather see Mitch take another step up here in NY, same goes for Knox, Frank, Trier, RJ, etc.

That's not even considering the plethora of 1st round picks stored away, and equally amazing and as you mentioned, a stash of SUPER max money.

Seriously my fellow, how can one miss out on enjoying the state of this present Knicks organization.

Battered fan syndrome is real. I blame Isiah Thomas.

Also, the internet is toxic.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#829 » by dakomish23 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:39 am

8516knicks wrote:Would anyone in the league trade for Knox now? Anyone think he could bring more than a 2nd round pick?

You’re better off keeping him and developing him.

At least they seem to be committed to him.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
melo4three
Senior
And1: 253

Post#830 » by melo4three » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:06 am

VECTORMAN wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:I'm pretty sure he wasn't actually "lighting up" summer league though. He put up some volume scoring numbers in a few games, and that's it. He wasn't looking like an allstar, even by summer league standards. IIRC.

To be clear, I was referring to Knox's first SL in 2018. His performance there had many people including many of the typical pundits ranking him top 3-5 in a redraft. He looked really good. Check the footage.

Like I said, there were posters on this forum calling him Batman to KP's Robin. I have receipts.

He had a couple of games, but at 35% shooting it was same story we have seen from him at every step of his process so far. I believe he has place in the league where he can succeed as a catch and shoot wing. But everything I have seen has shown me he shouldn't be anything more and that is perfectly fine because we need someone to play off ball on this team.
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#831 » by MadGrinch » Thu Sep 5, 2019 2:12 pm

knox has good potential as a scorer , his shot will only get better , but more importantly he will keep working on his frame .

players like frank and knox were always 3-5 year projects , i assumed the goal was always to have a 6'10 240+ shooter who ran around screens and pin downs .

too big and strong for wing players but also too skilled for traditional bigs
Its because I'm green isn't it?
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,658

Post#832 » by shtolky » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:07 pm

8516knicks wrote:Would anyone in the league trade for Knox now? Anyone think he could bring more than a 2nd round pick?

Insinuating that a team would be silly to take a relatively small gamble on a 19 year old who at least showed a glimpse of promise seems silly to me. It's like when Boston gave up on Billups after 50 games (I am NOT saying Knox is going to be Billups) because he played like crap during his rookie season. I'm sure I can name a lot more examples like this.

I'm glad we seem committed to Knox and if he's bad again this year (and I suppose the 3rd year), we just cut him loose. Not every young player is going to be successful, but you gotta give them the opportunity. We seem to be doing that.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#833 » by GONYK » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:11 pm

If Knox tops out as a middle class Rashard Lewis off the bench, that is still a player worth having at his size.

Defense is another issue entirely.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#834 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:40 pm

I find it shocking when players specifically drafted as projects turn out to be projects.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#835 » by malik959 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:31 am

Looking Jacked! Keep improving son!
nyknicks09
RealGM
And1: 3,215

Post#836 » by nyknicks09 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:58 am

He’s going to be a special player. I hope Fitz gives him the ball down the stretch when we are down by 2-3 points. Build some confidence on the young player and play him at the 2 spot so he can shoot over or post up the defender. He has the ability to become H20.
New York Knicks
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#837 » by malik959 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:01 am

He looks like he's wondering why his calves are still too skinny.
jermsknicks
Senior
And1: 254

Post#838 » by jermsknicks » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:15 am

malik959 wrote:He looks like he's wondering why his calves are still too skinny.

Nah, he's testing his new range!
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#839 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:58 am

melo4three wrote:
VECTORMAN wrote:

He had a couple of games, but at 35% shooting it was same story we have seen from him at every step of his process so far. I believe he has place in the league where he can succeed as a catch and shoot wing. But everything I have seen has shown me he shouldn't be anything more and that is perfectly fine because we need someone to play off ball on this team.

I think he also look great attacking the basket. Especially in transition. But again. Idk what the Knicks are thinking with any of thier moves this offseason. A young team with guys who all benefit an uptempo pace low individual skill basketball. Push it push it.

So what do we do? Sign a ton of guys that'll ensure we play rigid 90s halfcourt basketball. Next its gonna be how Robinson isnt as good as we thought at all because hes not creating in the post....very predictable actually when instead he shouldve been part of a 1in 4 out system. Itll be obvious that all our guards cant shoot. Why? Well because they cant shoot lol, but really because we'll be in the halfcourt on all our sets.

I dont feel like our offseason benefits a single player individually. The premise I get is more 1 yr contracts while continuing to develop but to me what's the point if the 1 yr contracts are all made up of lower tier win now players wholl dictate how we play more than the youngins we intend to develop?

I didnt mind Randolph if he were literally the only bigman we signed this offseason. To double down with 4 is just stupid. It has ripple effects all over this roster. We will most likely never see Knox at PF which is where his development curve should take him and by the time the Knicks figure it out we wouldve all written Knox off. A player could be absolutely a different player at PF than SF. Barrett will most likely never see time at SF with makes it so Frank and Trier get less than ideal minutes at SG. This is a guards league. It should be nothing to see 3 guard lineups. Why do the Knicks always value size as a competetive advantage.....and not even size like the type I like where it's a guy whose tall but extremely coordinated like Giannes or Durant. We routinely love our traditional lineups and will do everything in our power to recreate them every rebuild. In 5 yrs when we tire of this team and start building a new one.....gotta be the most traditional lineup in the league. Only team I know who does the same thing successfully is the Utah Jazz and to some extent the Pacers
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#840 » by robillionaire » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:05 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
melo4three wrote:
VECTORMAN wrote:

I think he also look great attacking the basket. Especially in transition. But again. Idk what the Knicks are thinking with any of thier moves this offseason. A young team with guys who all benefit an uptempo pace low individual skill basketball. Push it push it.

So what do we do? Sign a ton of guys that'll ensure we play rigid 90s halfcourt basketball. Next its gonna be how Robinson isnt as good as we thought at all because hes not creating in the post....very predictable actually when instead he shouldve been part of a 1in 4 out system. Itll be obvious that all our guards cant shoot. Why? Well because they cant shoot lol, but really because we'll be in the halfcourt on all our sets.

I dont feel like our offseason benefits a single player individually. The premise I get is more 1 yr contracts while continuing to develop but to me what's the point if the 1 yr contracts are all made up of lower tier win now players wholl dictate how we play more than the youngins we intend to develop?

I didnt mind Randolph if he were literally the only bigman we signed this offseason. To double down with 4 is just stupid. It has ripple effects all over this roster. We will most likely never see Knox at PF which is where his development curve should take him and by the time the Knicks figure it out we wouldve all written Knox off. A player could be absolutely a different player at PF than SF. Barrett will most likely never see time at SF with makes it so Frank and Trier get less than ideal minutes at SG. This is a guards league. It should be nothing to see 3 guard lineups. Why do the Knicks always value size as a competetive advantage.....and not even size like the type I like where it's a guy whose tall but extremely coordinated like Giannes or Durant. We routinely love our traditional lineups and will do everything in our power to recreate them every rebuild. In 5 yrs when we tire of this team and start building a new one.....gotta be the most traditional lineup in the league. Only team I know who does the same thing successfully is the Utah Jazz and to some extent the Pacers

Who is Randolph? You mean Marcus Morris? Julius Randle? :lol:

Return to New York Knicks