ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

TruthBeTold
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#961 » by TruthBeTold » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:07 pm

The truth about Smith Jr. can't be revealed with practice highlights. :noway:

The truth about DSJ's improvement will start to show during preseason basketball.

My Prediction:
You will get the same DSJ from last season with improved shooting, that's all. I'm not buying any all star hype just yet.

However, I believe if Smith Jr. becomes a 80+% free throw shooter and an improved 3-pt shooter, all star selection might be a real possibility.

So Knicks fans, stay away from the DSJ practice dunk hype, unless it's being done during a NBA game. :nod: 8-)
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#962 » by Zenzibar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:17 pm

TruthBeTold wrote:The truth about Smith Jr. can't be revealed with practice highlights. :noway:

The truth about DSJ's improvement will start to show during preseason basketball.

My Prediction:
You will get the same DSJ from last season with improving shooting, that's all. I'm not buying any all star hype just yet.

However, I believe if Smith Jr. becomes a 80+% free throw shooter and an improve 3 pts shooter, all star selection might be a real possibility.

So Knicks fans, stay away from the DSJ practice dunk hype, unless it's being done during a NBA game. :nod: 8-)

True.

Also DSJ will have to outplay Frank in camp and scoring on Frankie Noodles will be a difficult task. To me Frank is going for that starting point guard spot and nothing less.
So DSJ will have to be extra ready.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#963 » by bearadonisdna » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:38 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:Denny smith looks like a beast.

From that gym video? That ain't FIBA my brother. It's just some silly half-assed pickup game.

Lol I know but he appears to be finishing strong and looks comfortable from range.

The dude had some games where he was stroking it from deep so the more comfortable he gets the better.

He won me over this season with his work ethic. At the very least I feel he can be 1 of the knicks top guards. Either the 1 or 2, if he doesn’t clamp a starting job, he can still be a cog in the backcourt because it isn’t exactly a marquee lineup minus RJ.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,941

Post#964 » by TheGreenArrow » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:46 pm

man I truly believe him and randle can lead us to the promise land.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,739

Post#965 » by omerome » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:49 pm

TruthBeTold wrote:The truth about Smith Jr. can't be revealed with practice highlights. :noway:

My Prediction:
You will get the same DSJ from last season with improving shooting, that's all. I'm not buying any all star hype just yet.

However, I believe if Smith Jr. becomes a 80+% free throw shooter and an improve 3-pt shooter, all star selection might be a real possibility.

If DSJ just came back as the same player with improved shooting, he will be a very good player. And one I am excited to watch next season.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#966 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:13 am

Zenzibar wrote:

My Prediction:

However, I believe if Smith Jr. becomes a 80+% free throw shooter and an improve 3 pts shooter, all star selection might be a real possibility.

True.

Also DSJ will have to outplay Frank in camp and scoring on Frankie Noodles will be a difficult task. To me Frank is going for that starting point guard spot and nothing less.

:eek1:
:beer: RIP mags
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#967 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:55 am

bearadonisdna wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:Denny smith looks like a beast.

From that gym video? That ain't FIBA my brother. It's just some silly half-assed pickup game.

Lol I know but he appears to be finishing strong and looks comfortable from range.

The dude had some games where he was stroking it from deep so the more comfortable he gets the better.

He won me over this season with his work ethic. At the very least I feel he can be 1 of the knicks top guards. Either the 1 or 2, if he doesn’t clamp a starting job, he can still be a cog in the backcourt because it isn’t exactly a marquee lineup minus RJ.

NOBODY'S GUARDING HIM!!!!!! :D
Free Palestine
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#968 » by malik959 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

My Prediction:

True.

:eek1:

Thing is "IF" DSJ's shot has improved it opens up things for him because now you HAVE to guard him on the perimeter. You have to respect his shot and it opens things up for other players on the court because they no longer can just guard the lane. If they guard him tight he has the ability to blow by you. So I do expect his scoring to go up. So can he become an All Star? I don't see it this year, but if he continues this improvement and continues to work on his body than yes I do see it.

Currently we have an offense with no black holes so the ball will no longer stick to just one person. DSJ can pass, RJ can pass, Randle can pass, Morris can pass and each can bring the ball up. So ball movement will be the key and It will start with DSJ. We have the talent, but Fiz needs to prove that he can develop these kids to work together and run a real system.
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,473

Post#969 » by HerSports85 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Period!!!
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#970 » by taj2133 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:23 pm

Zenzibar wrote:

My Prediction:

True.

I doubt frank will be the starter he will have to complete 180 in camp and everything will have to be perfect for frank and management. I see dsj as the starting point guard if frank wins the job props to him i would be impressed if he did.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,372

Post#971 » by god shammgod » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:24 pm

frank aint starting. c'mon.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#972 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:09 pm

why we even talking about frank here?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#973 » by MadGrinch » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:why we even talking about frank here?

Because the topic shifted to who starts at point guard

And that will be frank
Its because I'm green isn't it?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#974 » by DOT » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:25 pm

MadGrinch wrote:

And that will be frank

I will bet you any amount of money it's not
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MadGrinch
Veteran

Post#975 » by MadGrinch » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:51 pm

K-DOT wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:

And that will be frank

If I thought you were good for the money I’d take you on it

Truthfully it’s not even because I think frank is better , it’s because of RJ , RJ is going to start unless he is absolutely trash in preseason. They are going to build marketing campaigns around him and push him for ROY.

And RJ is not an off ball player and since the offense will obviously run through Julius ... you can only have but so many players who need the ball to be successful.

It’s possible Elfrid starts , but the player with the least amount of off ball value is clearly DSJ , there is no way he starts.

Frank provides 3-4 positions of switchability , is a high bbiq player who has years of off ball experience , he makes the most sense

Elfrid had like 5 triple doubles last season and is a + defender is just big enough and strong enough to guard 2s at least occasionally.

Smith kind of leaves RJ on an island because Barrett can’t shoot and can’t cover for him defensively, they both can’t have the ball . He makes the least sense.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#976 » by DOT » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:26 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
MadGrinch wrote: Because the topic shifted to who starts at point guard

And that will be frank

Truthfully it’s not even because I think frank is better , it’s because of RJ , RJ is going to start unless he is absolutely trash in preseason. They are going to build marketing campaigns around him and push him for ROY.

And RJ is not an off ball player and since the offense will obviously run through Julius ... you can only have but so many players who need the ball to be successful.

It’s possible Elfrid starts , but the player with the least amount of off ball value is clearly DSJ , there is no way he starts.

Frank provides 3-4 positions of switchability , is a high bbiq player who has years of off ball experience , he makes the most sense

Elfrid had like 5 triple doubles last season and is a + defender is just big enough and strong enough to guard 2s at least occasionally.

Smith kind of leaves RJ on an island because Barrett can’t shoot and can’t cover for him defensively, they both can’t have the ball . He makes the least sense.

35 out of 82 games last year we started Tim and one of Mudiay or Trey, including the first game of the season

I don't think Fiz is gonna have any qualms about starting both DSJ and RJ

you can only have but so many players who need the ball to be successful.

That doesn't mean Fiz won't try
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,136

Post#977 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:34 pm

K-DOT wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I will bet you any amount of money it's not

35 out of 82 games last year we started Tim and one of Mudiay or Trey, including the first game of the season

I don't think Fiz is gonna have any qualms about starting both DSJ and RJ

you can only have but so many players who need the ball to be successful.

Fun debate!

I don't think Fiz would specifically care if there were 5 guys who'd like to dominate the ball. Therefore, DSJr COULD start next to RJ. I get that "better RJ" is probably unlocked with the ball in his hands, but it's reasonable to think RJ could play some off the ball and be a secondary facilitator, where DSJr is off the ball - which isn't ideal, maybe, but a lot depends on how both DSJr and RJ's jumper come along.

To the second point, if it's going to be some other caretaker, off the guard PG next to RJ doing the heavy lifting on running the offense, that'll be Payton, based on experience, not only in time in the league, but also as being an on again, off again, PG, next to JRue. Combine that with the fact that Perry loves Payton, and also Perry loves playing guards HE brought in, if the starting PG isn't DSDJr, it'll be Payton.

And maybe DSJr and Trier are an attack dog combo off the bench. In any event, DSJr starting or Trier off the bench, Fiz is going to have them in the rotation.
MadGrinch
Veteran

Post#978 » by MadGrinch » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:44 am

K-DOT wrote:

You should throw everything you saw Fizdale do last season out .

It was a tanking season

To give you good idea of how Fizdale sees the world take a look at his 2016-17 grizzlies
The previous season they had 8 players avg in double figures

Under Fizdale the next season 3 , both Conley and Gasol had career seasons Zach became a 6th man off the bench

He basically gave the ball to his scorers , put in some shooters to space the floor and played his defensive players more

They shot over 600 more 3s than the 2015-16 team

Even the knicks last season shot over 500 more threes than horncek’s team...and that team had KP shooting them

I’m assuming only 4 players will get the green light to shoot as much they please smith, portis ,randle and Barrett and that fizdale will try to space them out to get the most of them
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#979 » by DOT » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:01 am

MadGrinch wrote:To give you good idea of how Fizdale sees the world take a look at his 2016-17 grizzlies
The previous season they had 8 players avg in double figures

Under Fizdale the next season 3 , both Conley and Gasol had career seasons Zach became a 6th man off the bench

He basically gave the ball to his scorers , put in some shooters to space the floor and played his defensive players more

They also set a record in 2016 for most players to play minutes for a team in a season at 26 IIRC.

If you make the number 14 per game instead of 10, they go from 4 players in 2016 (Randolph, Conley, Gasol, and Lance Stephenson who played only 26 games) to 3 in 2017 (Randolph, Conley, and Gasol). That double figures number is cause everyone got injured in 2016, so backups got more minutes which led to more points.

Fizdale's offense is give it to the players and let them do what they want. That works when you're an assistant in Miami with the Heatles and they're 3 superstars who know how to play, or Memphis with vets who have played together for years and a PG who's a great floor general, but we don't have any of the above.

Plus, none of this means he isn't starting DSJ because of RJ which was the start of this. He likes ball dominant guards, and doesn't really give any thought to balance or defense
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,372

Post#980 » by god shammgod » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:11 am

kadeem allen has almost as much a chance as frank at starting.

Return to New York Knicks