Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#661 » by Howard Mass » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:43 am

Ryan5UW wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:I think I'm finally ready to tell Charter to go pound sand - my bill is going up $30/mo and when I called they couldn't offer me anything better.

Looking through the steaming options - PS Vue, Hulu Live whatever, AT&T Now, Sling YouTube - it looks like from a channel standpoint, PS Vue and YouTube would be my two options. It looks like on PS Vue I can't record local ABC, Fox or NBC on the DVR and the DVR only keeps content for 28 days. On YouTube, it looks like the DVR keeps content for 9 months, but I can't find anything about recording local networks. Between these two... is one clearly better than the other? It looks like either would be fine for channels (locals, AMC, Animal Planet, Big 10, Cartoon, Discovery, ESPN/ESPN2, Food, FS WI, Nat Geo & Wild are my big ones).

I have Spectrum (Charter) here in Central Florida but my second promo ends in December and mine is going up at least $20. It went up $20-$25 after my first promo ended.

Per my calculations, I'll be able to save $70 a month by switching to Hulu Live TV or Youtube TV. My problem with Hulu TV is no NBA TV.

Have not decided which one though but if Hulu picks that up, it might be Hulu for me.

That was another one I was looking for - both PS Vue (Core for $55/mo or higher packages) and YouTube TV both have it. Hulu not having AMC was the main reason I ruled it out... although I should probably just punt Walking Dead and move on with my life.

Crap.

No AMC (Better Call Saul) is a deal breaker for me.

Another factor to consider.

Thanks!
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 980

Post#662 » by Ryan5UW » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:08 am

Howard Mass wrote:
Crap.

Thanks!

Looks like YouTube, Sling, PS Vue and Philo are the ones that either have AMC or at least a package option with it... unless I'm missing something.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#663 » by Howard Mass » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:38 am

Ryan5UW wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
Crap.

Thanks!

Looks like YouTube, Sling, PS Vue and Philo are the ones that either have AMC or at least a package option with it... unless I'm missing something.

Sling is not an option for me due to the sports disputes. I need my Orlando Magic just as you guys need your Milwaukee Bucks.

I'm going to check out Vue. I could stick with Spectrum as Showtime, HBO and a few others are in the package but do not know how I will be able to justify an extra $70 a month.

Love this thread.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,947

Post#664 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#665 » by Nowak008 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:17 pm

Does Hulu have FSN? Is there anyway to get league pass + bucks that isn't cable/dish?
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#666 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:21 pm

Hulu's got FSN.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,164
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#667 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:24 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah we are going to eventually reach a tipping point soon.

I basically threatened DirecTV into cord cutting (with their own streaming service lol) and got it down to the price of a streaming service for a year. I still am keeping some sort of satellite, cable, or streaming service for certainty that I can watch sports. I've been on the edge of cutting the cord for like 3 years and now they're raising prices on the streaming services anyways.

But having like 10 different add-on streaming services to have to choose from is exhausting. That's going to suck ass. I finally caved and went to HBO for a bit with Prime and Netflix (luckily Hulu is free) and now we'll have to do the Disney thing. Way too much.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,217

Post#668 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:26 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

There are so many services now and most have a lot of good content. At the end of the day it's going to get expensive and/or you have to leave some content off.

Right now I have Uverse (great price), Sling for 4 months (because Uverse dropped NFLN and RZ), Netflix and Prime. I have no interest in Disney. Apple is of interest as some of their announced original (they will only have original) content sounds good and it's only $5.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#669 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:33 pm

I look at that list and all I think is, "Welp, I guess I'm gonna have to get back into torrenting all my content".
Ryan5UW
General Manager

Post#670 » by Ryan5UW » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Fubo is one that intrigues me... it looks like they're going to do some football games in 4k this season:

https://www.cordcutters.com/fubo-tv-streaming-nfl-4k-season
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#671 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:59 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:Fubo is one that intrigues me... it looks like they're going to do some football games in 4k this season:

https://www.cordcutters.com/fubo-tv-streaming-nfl-4k-season

I'd never heard of that service before. I was interested before I saw that there's no ESPN.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#672 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:02 pm

My issue with cord cutting is the recent price surges.

So now I have to have a service that is reliant on my internet connection (it's probably fine but when I have tested streaming-only I've lost connection a few times), that is a minute behind in sports games, that may or may not have local channels, FUBO does not have ESPN and NFLN/NFLRZ...and it's gonna cost me...maybe $10 less/month than talking DirecTV into a deal.

Most of the other ones are a bit cheaper but are missing a key sports channel or two with the same problems.

Once again I am on the edge of the cliff for cutting the cord but will not do so.

If I do it, YoutubeTV is probably the best bet but I'm not there yet. I'd just split Sling's relatively cheap package on top of it with 2-3 people for football season to get NFLN/NFLRZ. We'll see what DirecTV offers me at the end of the year.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#673 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:14 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:I think I'm finally ready to tell Charter to go pound sand - my bill is going up $30/mo and when I called they couldn't offer me anything better.

Looking through the steaming options - PS Vue, Hulu Live whatever, AT&T Now, Sling YouTube - it looks like from a channel standpoint, PS Vue and YouTube would be my two options. It looks like on PS Vue I can't record local ABC, Fox or NBC on the DVR and the DVR only keeps content for 28 days. On YouTube, it looks like the DVR keeps content for 9 months, but I can't find anything about recording local networks. Between these two... is one clearly better than the other? It looks like either would be fine for channels (locals, AMC, Animal Planet, Big 10, Cartoon, Discovery, ESPN/ESPN2, Food, FS WI, Nat Geo & Wild are my big ones).

I literally just had free trials of both concurrently to try them while my cable was out this weekend. YouTube definitely allows recording of local channels - it's how I watched the Packer game on Sunday. Also, if you live in Madison, PS Vue doesn't have CBS on its platform. YouTube does.

Between the two, I'd say it basically comes down to a few factors:

1. YouTube is cheaper...but doesn't offer some channel options you might want - like Redzone or NFLN - that you can get with PS Vue.
2. PS Vue has a multiscreen option that allows you to watch up to three channels at once, YouTube doesn't have that.
3. PS Vue has a traditional "guide" that you can scroll through ala cable, while YouTube doesn't really offer the same kind of guide - if that matters. YouTube is basically just a list of what's live with searchable options for future shows.
4. I think YouTube's menus are easier to navigate overall than PS Vue.

Between the two, I'd pick YouTube Live simply because of the ability to have all local networks and the ability to record all of them. That's a dealbreaker for PS Vue, IMO. But if they caught up with that, I'd probably lean towards PS Vue because it offers a few more channel options.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#674 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:17 pm

I think if anyone has an option that doesn't include NFLRZ/NFLN (must haves for me), find 2-3 people in the same situation and split Sling for ~$10/month per person for 4 months and get NFLRZ/NFLN. Even for the full $35 it isn't terrible if you're saving by doing a cheap package otherwise. MD I believe mentioned that in a different thread.
Ryan5UW
General Manager

Post#675 » by Ryan5UW » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:28 pm

humanrefutation wrote:

I literally just had free trials of both concurrently to try them while my cable was out this weekend. YouTube definitely allows recording of local channels - it's how I watched the Packer game on Sunday. Also, if you live in Madison, PS Vue doesn't have CBS on its platform. YouTube does.

1. YouTube is cheaper...but doesn't offer some channel options you might want - like Redzone or NFLN - that you can get with PS Vue.
2. PS Vue has a multiscreen option that allows you to watch up to three channels at once, YouTube doesn't have that.
3. PS Vue has a traditional "guide" that you can scroll through ala cable, while YouTube doesn't really offer the same kind of guide - if that matters. YouTube is basically just a list of what's live with searchable options for future shows.

Between the two, I'd pick YouTube Live simply because of the ability to have all local networks and the ability to record all of them. That's a dealbreaker for PS Vue, IMO. But if they caught up with that, I'd probably lean towards PS Vue because it offers a few more channel options.

This is awesome, thank you!! I had been leaning towards PS Vue but missed the local CBS thing. I could probably get it OTA since I live right down the hill from their giant antenna, but I missed that it wasn't in the group. That multiscreen thing is pretty cool. I wonder if I could accomplish that by running the YouTube TV app on different devices (say an Apple TV and PS4) hooked up to different HDMI outputs. I'll have to see if my TV can manage that.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#676 » by crkone » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:31 pm

humanrefutation wrote:

FYI, YouTube TV is updating the look of their guides to below.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#677 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:55 pm

crkone wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Nice...is that through their phone app or through one of their streaming-box apps (ala Roku)?
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#678 » by emunney » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
I have Spectrum (Charter) here in Central Florida but my second promo ends in December and mine is going up at least $20. It went up $20-$25 after my first promo ended.

Per my calculations, I'll be able to save $70 a month by switching to Hulu Live TV or Youtube TV. My problem with Hulu TV is no NBA TV.

Have not decided which one though but if Hulu picks that up, it might be Hulu for me.

That was another one I was looking for - both PS Vue (Core for $55/mo or higher packages) and YouTube TV both have it. Hulu not having AMC was the main reason I ruled it out... although I should probably just punt Walking Dead and move on with my life.

Crap.

Thanks!

You should price it out, because if BCS is the only AMC show you watch, you might be better off just buying it from a VOD service.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#679 » by crkone » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:23 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Spoiler:
crkone wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Nice...is that through their phone app or through one of their streaming-box apps (ala Roku)?

It's already showed up on Apple TV and Roku. I believe it'll be for everywhere.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#680 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:26 pm

After wrapping up my trials of YTV and PS Vue, I spent the last couple days thinking about whether to just ditch cable and switch to one of them. Called U-Verse to cancel my service, got $30 knocked off my bill, and so I'm going to stick with them for a while longer.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks