Build me the best possible All-Time Lakers team w/ 15$

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Build me the best possible All-Time Lakers team w/ 15$ 

Post#1 » by limbo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:37 pm

You seen this before... Assume their peak form when they were a Laker (meaning if you pick Wilt, you get what Wilt was with the Lakers, not prior in his career).

5$ - Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Kobe
4$ - Mikan, West, Worthy, Pau, Odom
3$ - Mikkelsen, Baylor, Goodrich, Scott,
2$ - LaRusso, AC Green, Cooper, Divac, Eddie Jones, Horry, Fisher
1$ - Rambis, Nixon,Van Exel, Bynum, Sasha ''Machine'' Vujacic

Let's see what you come up with.

EDIT: moved West from 5 to 4$ to make it more balanced

EDIT 2: Moved Baylor from 4 to 3$, Odom goes up 4$... This is harder to balance than i thought.
Sublime187
Rookie
And1: 1,092

Re: Build me the best possible All-Time Lakers team w/ 15$ 

Post#2 » by Sublime187 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:50 pm

C- Shaq
PF- Horry
SF- Jones
SG- West
PG- Van Exel
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,711

Post#3 » by eminence » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:53 pm

Can I use anybody not listed for $1?
I bought a boat.
limbo
Veteran

Post#4 » by limbo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:57 pm

eminence wrote:Can I use anybody not listed for $1?

No, just the players I provided along with their price tag. You can't pull an Ariza for 0$ or something like that.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,711

Post#5 » by eminence » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:02 pm

limbo wrote:
eminence wrote:Can I use anybody not listed for $1?

No, just the players I provided along with their price tag. You can't pull an Ariza for 0$ or something like that.

Oh, I wasn't going to use them for free, but for $1.

Just from this list I'd like to see:

$4 West
$2 Cooper
$2 Jones
$5 Magic
$2 Divac
I bought a boat.
An Unbiased Fan
RealGM
And1: 5,510

Post#6 » by An Unbiased Fan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:20 am

PG - Van Exel
SG - Kobe
SF - Eddie Jones
PF - Horry
C - Shaq
^
Team the Lakers should have kept togehter if it werne't for Del Harris.
7-time RealGM MVPoster 2009-2016
Inducted into RealGM HOF 1st ballot in 2017
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#7 » by trex_8063 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:29 am

West at $4 and Jones at $2 seem too good to pass on; so I’m starting there. Then I’ll add peak Kareem (peaked in ‘77 in a Laker uniform, IMO), a dominant two way player. Then let’s maybe spend $3 on Baylor (probably play Jones more as a SG), and $1 for some dirty work Rambis. That’s my team.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,492

Post#8 » by wojoaderge » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:50 am

$1 for Nixon, what a bargain
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
An Unbiased Fan
RealGM
And1: 5,510

Post#9 » by An Unbiased Fan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:02 am

wojoaderge wrote:$1 for Nixon, what a bargain

Yep. And Jones should be a 3, and Scott a 2. But still, good topic
7-time RealGM MVPoster 2009-2016
Inducted into RealGM HOF 1st ballot in 2017
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#10 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:37 am

Kareem-Magic-Baylor-Rambis-Nixon should do ok.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#11 » by Roddy B for 3 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:27 am

Bynum
Baylor
Worthy
Bryant
Van Excel

Or

Bynum
Horry
Baylor
Worthy
Byant
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
udfa
Starter
And1: 2,821

Post#12 » by udfa » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:22 am

PG: Magic ($5)
SG: Fisher ($2)
SF: Kobe ($5)
PF: Horry ($2)
C: Bynum ($1)

Peak Bynum was really good. That bozo had so much talent. Not a match for Shaq, Wilt or Kareem but at 7' 285# and good athleticism he wouldn't be a push over either. I'll never forget watching rookie Bynum go at Shaq on Xmas 2005.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,165

Post#13 » by CodeBreaker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:27 am

I need LeBron
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#14 » by Jiminy Glick » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:30 pm

These values are messed up. Baylor at $3, West at $4, but Kobe at $5?

Nixon
Cooper
Jones
Kareem
Shaq
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,393

Post#15 » by TheNG » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:29 pm

PG: Jerry West (4) - Peak: 35 ppg, 6 rpg, 6 apg | ring-yes | FMVP-yes | multi 1st team-yes | multi defensive 1st team-yes
SG: Michael Cooper (2) - Peak: 9 ppg, 3 rpg, 6 apg | multi ring-yes | multi defensive 1st team-yes
SF: Elgin Baylor (3) - Peak: 38 ppg, 19 rpg, 5 apg | multi 1st team-yes
PF: AC Green (2) - Peak: 15 ppg, 9 rpg, 2 apg | multi ring-yes | defensive 2nd team-yes
C: George Mikan (4) - Peak: 28 ppg, 14 rpg, 3 apg | ring-yes | mvp-yes

This is the best possible team after you lowered Baylor and West in their ranking (so they're a little cheaper than their true level).

Obviously, I can put Kareem instead of Mikan but then I'll have to put Nixon or Van Exel instead of Cooper (since the other options costing 1 are crap or centers)

What's good about my team is all can play defense and there are no weak positions.
Three guys can score on will, 2 guys rebounding champions, I have the "guard stopper" at Michael Copper and all the bigs are good at defense. West was once the assist leader in the league so no trouble about that.
I will win against all other teams here with only 2 superstars because they probably don't have the guy to stop all my 3 superstars and I can probably manage pretty well against anyone with my defense.
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by Jiminy Glick » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:45 pm

TheNG wrote:PG: Jerry West (4) - Peak: 35 ppg, 6 rpg, 6 apg | ring-yes | FMVP-yes | multi 1st team-yes | multi defensive 1st team-yes
SG: Michael Cooper (2) - Peak: 9 ppg, 3 rpg, 6 apg | multi ring-yes | multi defensive 1st team-yes
PF: AC Green (2) - Peak: 15 ppg, 9 rpg, 2 apg | multi ring-yes | defensive 2nd team-yes

This is the best possible team after you lowered Baylor and West in their ranking (so they're a little cheaper than their true level).

Obviously, I can put Kareem instead of Mikan but then I'll have to put Nixon or Van Exel instead of Cooper (since the other options costing 1 are crap or centers)

What's good about my team is all can play defense and there are no weak positions.
Three guys can score on will, 2 guys rebounding champions, I have the "guard stopper" at Michael Copper and all the bigs are good at defense. West was once the assist leader in the league so no trouble about that.
I will win against all other teams here with only 2 superstars because they probably don't have the guy to stop all my 3 superstars and I can probably manage pretty well against anyone with my defense.

Green and Mikan are going to stop Kareem and Shaq?
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,393

Post#17 » by TheNG » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Jiminy Glick wrote:
TheNG wrote:PG: Jerry West (4) - Peak: 35 ppg, 6 rpg, 6 apg | ring-yes | FMVP-yes | multi 1st team-yes | multi defensive 1st team-yes

They're gonna hack him :lol: No one can really stop Shaq obviously. But when Mikan played he did a lot of goaltending (they invented the rule about it because of him) so it means he's still allowed to do it because it was legal during part of his career. So Shaq must dunk it every time :)
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by Jiminy Glick » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:00 pm

TheNG wrote:
Jiminy Glick wrote:

They're gonna hack him :lol: No one can really stop Shaq obviously. But when Mikan played he did a lot of goaltending (they invented the rule about it because of him) so it means he's still allowed to do it because it was legal during part of his career. So Shaq must dunk it every time :)

You only have so many fouls. And interesting about the goaltending, but nah I don't think it would matter and that was never specified in the rules so who knows. Those are possibly the two greatest post scorers ever. Green and Mikan simply aren't big enough to defend Kareem and Shaq.
limbo
Veteran

Post#19 » by limbo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Like i said, this is extremely hard to balance out in a way that people don't just pick the same two permutations every time and there's some variation in how people want to approach it

With that said, here's some reasoning behind the choices and some general thoughts i have:

- Jerry West is a difficult one. Had him at $5 initially, but figured nobody would consider picking him. How many people would realistically take him at that price over guys like Shaq, Kareem, Magic, even Wilt. And if someone decided to build a team with two 5$ players, i'd figure a significantly bigger percentage of people would take Kobe over West in that sense. So i reluctantly had to drop his price by $1. Maybe i could have put him there at $4.5, but i haven't really thought about how that would skew the game if decimal prices where also allowed. This thread was kinda made in the spur of the moment, maybe i will make a Celtic one next and put more thought into it.

- Was considering Eddie Jones at $3, but again, how many people would pick him for that price? Another factor was that if you, say, have a core of Shaq/Kobe or Kareem/Magic, you can now choose whether to put a more talented player in Jones there for $2, and risk him not realizing his ceiling as a player because Kareem and Magic will have most of the ball, or just play it safe with a Cooper, Horry, Fisher low usage/resource type player.

- Nixon is a polarizing player. I don't rate him as highly + he's a guy that demands the ball a lot but doesn't necessarily produce great results with it, but i knew some people would. By putting him just $1, i can tease people to see how much value he has.

- Scott was a 22/4/4 player at his peak in LA, pace notwithstanding. Maybe $3 is a bit too high, i agree, but he's like one of the iconic LA players, couldn't bring myself to knock him down a peg

- Having Kobe any lower than $5, he would be snagged up like Black Friday.

- Bynum at $1 is a test to see who's willing to pull a trigger on a player that was very solid at his peak, but comes with all types of baggage and injury concerns.

- No LeBron after just 1 year with the franchise. Maybe i should've included him, it would make it more interesting, perhaps in a revisited version in the future.

- Also, suprised by the fact that literally zero people picked either Pau or Odom. Both All-Stars that fit well with any superstar on this board. Odom at 3$ would've been a steal, i'd imagine, that's why i upped his price.

- Any suggestions for improvements are welcomed

Oh, any here's my team, well... two teams, Team A (I would be most curious to watch) and Team B (the most likely to be dominant in terms of winning)

Team A:

C: Divac (2)
PF: Odom (4)
SF: Baylor (3)
SG: Van Exel (1)
PG: Magic (5)

Team B:

C: Shaq (5)
PF: Rambis (1)
SF: Odom (4)
SG: West (4)
PG: Van Exel (1)
limbo
Veteran

Post#20 » by limbo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:18 pm

You think your team of:

G: West
G: Cooper
F: Baylor
F: Green
C: Mikan

beats my team of:

G: Van Exel
G: West
F: Odom
F: Rambis
C: Shaq

?

i don't think it does. Two guards that can both shoot and create with Shaq causing havoc down low. Odom is the ultimate glue guy, jack of all trades. He would be the primary defender on Baylor with Rambis being thrown into the ring a few times just to muck it up and do the dirty work in general. :)

Return to Player Comparisons