ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Re: Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year? 

Post#121 » by whoknows » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:06 am

TheRealDeal wrote:
whoknows wrote:Since there is no Canadian in the Raptors team, it is hard to not give Bibi's win the Canadian story of the year.
She also has a chance to be followed by a lot more Canadians then Raptors, now that she is popular.

I've never understood this mentality. It doesn't matter if the players are Canadian. The **** TEAM is Canadian. Have some pride in your damn city

I love the Raptors and have followed them since '95!

I'm talking from general Canadian perspective, not personal bias.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#122 » by Kabookalu » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:24 am

I'm actually in Canada for a wedding right now, and what's surprised me is how much more coverage Bianca is slowly getting the longer I'm here. With the Raptors the excitement hit its peak during the run, and fell off rather quickly with Kawhi leaving. With Bianca I wonder if her fame will slowly creep up over time as she makes her rounds with interviews, along with the inevitable endorsements. As it stands right now the Raptors should be the clear frontrunners, but that may change.
Read on Twitter
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,819

Post#123 » by TheRealDeal » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:35 am

whoknows wrote:
TheRealDeal wrote:
whoknows wrote:Since there is no Canadian in the Raptors team, it is hard to not give Bibi's win the Canadian story of the year.
She also has a chance to be followed by a lot more Canadians then Raptors, now that she is popular.

I've never understood this mentality. It doesn't matter if the players are Canadian. The **** TEAM is Canadian. Have some pride in your damn city

I believe you but why even bring up that "Since there is no Canadian on the Raptors team"? Why should that be a general Canadian perspective? Do you think Yankees fans care if the World Series winning team isn't made up of native New Yorkers? Absolutely not. It's an incredible achievement for the city no matter where their roster resides from
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#124 » by whoknows » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:10 am

TheRealDeal wrote:
whoknows wrote:
TheRealDeal wrote:

I believe you but why even bring up that "Since there is no Canadian on the Raptors team"? Why should that be a general Canadian perspective? Do you think Yankees fans care if the World Series winning team isn't made up of native New Yorkers? Absolutely not. It's an incredible achievement for the city no matter where their roster resides from

I'm with you, especially since Bibi has a much bigger chance of getting numerous grand slams when compared to Raptors chance of repeat.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,485

Post#125 » by Bankai » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:03 am

Some serious recency bias here combined with some random excuses about Canadians I keep scratching my head on. Again, congrats to Bianca. But are you guys seriously saying that her US Open win was more "Canadian" and more of a "Story" than the Raptors Title Run?! Is this bizarre world?! Kawhi leaving put a damper on it, but dont let it fool you how big the Win was for the Country as a whole, right up there with the 2010 Winter Olympics in terms of Country wide impact. Biancasanity falls off rather quickly once you go past the GTA. She is a story, but not THE Story.

Did Bianca have over half of Canada's population watching her win the US Open?
Did Bianca have numerous Viewing Parties all across Canada, watch her match against Serena?
Did Bianca have numerous Canadian Politicians, Sports Teams, and Influential people rally around her?
Will Bianca have the Canadian Prime Minister, Ontario Premier, and Opposition Leader attend her Rally?
Will Bianca have 3 Million proud Canadians attend her Rally?
Will Bianca have many Championship Shirts, Hats, Flags and other Apparel being displayed today with pride all over?

Raptors Title Run had more Canadian Content, were more grand, and more appreciated in all of Canada. They were THE Story in 2019. End of Story.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#126 » by Kabookalu » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:04 am

Bankai wrote:Some serious recency bias here combined with some random excuses about Canadians I keep scratching my head on. Again, congrats to Bianca. But are you guys seriously saying that her US Open win was more "Canadian" and more of a "Story" than the Raptors Title Run?! Is this bizarre world?! Kawhi leaving put a damper on it, but dont let it fool you how big the Win was for the Country as a whole, right up there with the 2010 Winter Olympics in terms of Country wide impact. Biancasanity falls off rather quickly once you go past the GTA. She is a story, but not THE Story.

Did Bianca have numerous Viewing Parties all across Canada, watch her match against Serena?
Did Bianca have numerous Canadian Politicians, Sports Teams, and Influential people rally around her?
Will Bianca have the Canadian Prime Minister, Ontario Premier, and Opposition Leader attend her Rally?
Will Bianca have many Championship Shirts, Hats, Flags and other Apparel being displayed today with pride all over?

Raptors Title Run had more Canadian Content, were more grand, and more appreciated in all of Canada. They were THE Story in 2019. End of Story.

Everything you say is true, but I think you're undermining how much of an impact Kawhi leaving left on this title run. It did more than just dampen it. Right now I'm hearing Bianca talk all over, appearing in interviews saying how she's proud of representing her city and the country. I'm in Canada right now and Bianca is just getting more and more popular. The phrase She's The North was created when she won it, but it's sticking more and more. The aftermath isn't as important as the journey, but it's still important. If Kawhi came back and said he loved Canada and wants to bring Toronto more ships, the Raptors easily take this. That didn't happen. He reinvigorated the stigma that franchise players don't want to be here, and smashed the record for how soon a finals MVP left their team.

Bianca is proud to rep her city and country, and brought home something no other native Canadian did. This might be the genesis of a long fruitful career. Kawhi did the same, could have made Toronto a basketball powerhouse for years to come, and he didn't.

Read on Twitter
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,937

Post#127 » by EH15 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:17 am

She has the potential to win 10+ slams and be an all time great. Top 5 potential.

Second coming of Seles.
GED Education
General Manager
And1: 9,872

Post#128 » by GED Education » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:40 pm

Kabookalu wrote:
Bankai wrote:Some serious recency bias here combined with some random excuses about Canadians I keep scratching my head on. Again, congrats to Bianca. But are you guys seriously saying that her US Open win was more "Canadian" and more of a "Story" than the Raptors Title Run?! Is this bizarre world?! Kawhi leaving put a damper on it, but dont let it fool you how big the Win was for the Country as a whole, right up there with the 2010 Winter Olympics in terms of Country wide impact. Biancasanity falls off rather quickly once you go past the GTA. She is a story, but not THE Story.

Everything you say is true, but I think you're undermining how much of an impact Kawhi leaving left on this title run. It did more than just dampen it. Right now I'm hearing Bianca talk all over, appearing in interviews saying how she's proud of representing her city and the country. I'm in Canada right now and Bianca is just getting more and more popular. The phrase She's The North was created when she won it, but it's sticking more and more. The aftermath isn't as important as the journey, but it's still important. If Kawhi came back and said he loved Canada and wants to bring Toronto more ships, the Raptors easily take this. That didn't happen. He reinvigorated the stigma that franchise players don't want to be here, and smashed the record for how soon a finals MVP left their team.

Bianca is proud to rep her city and country, and brought home something no other native Canadian did. This might be the genesis of a long fruitful career. Kawhi did the same, could have made Toronto a basketball powerhouse for years to come, and he didn't.

Hot take and accurate take from a fan since 95:

The impact of the Raptors winning the championship is basically a one and done. There will be no ratings increase. No increase in media coverage. There will be no residual popularity increase aside from the afterbuzz of the championship. Now that's over. The season is coming and there is NO BUZZ. Bianca and Marner are the stories. The Raptors are back to being virtually irrelevant. Had Kawhi stayed this would be different. Treated the team like a cheap hooker.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#129 » by XxIronChainzxX » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Kabookalu wrote:

The phrase "She the North" is literally proof of how much more impactful our title run was in the popular consciousness. Her mark of achivement is literally our teams branding slogan.
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,937

Post#130 » by EH15 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Raptors have had a quarter century of build up, with fans spanning 2 generations now. A fair comparison is Bianca playing for gold in Tokyo at the 2020 Olympics or in Paris at the 2024 games. That match and win, should we be lucky enough, is analogous to the Raptors win. And which point it's not even a contest. It's only a contest right now because she literally was a nobody 2 weeks ago in the eyes of most Canadians.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#131 » by Kabookalu » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:30 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

The phrase "She the North" is literally proof of how much more impactful our title run was in the popular consciousness. Her mark of achivement is literally our teams branding slogan.

It's a brand that has existed since 2014. It wasn't created as a result of the title run. Winning it all gave more weight to its name, but it wasn't created overnight.

Read on Twitter
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#132 » by XxIronChainzxX » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:07 pm

Kabookalu wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

It's a brand that has existed since 2014. It wasn't created as a result of the title run. Winning it all gave more weight to its name, but it wasn't created overnight.

That's missing the forest for the trees. We're going with "She the North" instead of e.g. "Go Bianca Go!" or whatever they do in hockey because the Raptors are synonymous with monumental sports success.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#133 » by RonaldArtest » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:48 pm

Bianca’s story this year was pretty magical, but the impact the raps had across the country during their title run was overwhelming. I’ve never seen the whole country unite for viewing parties and rallies except maybe Olympic hockey. It was THE story of the year, recency bias be damned.
Retro_Junkball
Senior
And1: 277

Post#134 » by Retro_Junkball » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:56 pm

If Bianca wins the WTA finals tournament AND finishes #1, then she will really have equal title to the SOTY in terms of history-making. But I think the Raptors still win due to the "captivation of fans" factor. Really not fair to compare individual and team sports.
daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Post#135 » by daswunderboy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:11 pm

To me these were equally huge improbable stories. I put the Raptors winning #1, but Bianca is a close 1b. Winning a major is damn hard, and she did it as a teenager in her first Major finals in a season that she lost 4 months with shoulder problems. It's crazy. She wins Canadian athlete of the year in a walk, no doubt. But there are 4 majors, and only 1 NBA title. It's the tougher one to win, just a 9 month slog. It is the sports story (also, BBall is much more popular, so that helps).
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#136 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:16 pm

People are still arguing about this?

Marner re-signed. /thread
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,739

Post#137 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:41 pm

GED Education wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

Hot take and accurate take from a fan since 95:

The impact of the Raptors winning the championship is basically a one and done. There will be no ratings increase. No increase in media coverage. There will be no residual popularity increase aside from the afterbuzz of the championship. Now that's over. The season is coming and there is NO BUZZ. Bianca and Marner are the stories. The Raptors are back to being virtually irrelevant. Had Kawhi stayed this would be different. Treated the team like a cheap hooker.

"No increase in media coverage", yet we get a Christmas game. I guess that doesn't mean anything for the media coverage.

"No residual popularity increase" - Please tell me more of how you know about the impact this will have on future generations and kids growing up today. Please tell me.

"The season is coming and there is no buzz" - Its literally the dog days of the NBA calendar, that's why there is no hype. The only thing exciting is Siakam workout videos and Rico runs. There's nothing to talk about right now. Just wait until the actual season starts, there will be hype because this team is still good.

"Hot take and accurate take from a fan since 95" - YIKES
Yeezy SZN approaching
Yeezus_
RealGM

Post#138 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:42 pm

Recency bias is strong in here.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Yeezus_
RealGM

Post#139 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:43 pm

EH15 wrote:Raptors have had a quarter century of build up, with fans spanning 2 generations now. A fair comparison is Bianca playing for gold in Tokyo at the 2020 Olympics or in Paris at the 2024 games. That match and win, should we be lucky enough, is analogous to the Raptors win. And which point it's not even a contest. It's only a contest right now because she literally was a nobody 2 weeks ago in the eyes of most Canadians.

This is how I see it.
Yeezy SZN approaching
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,905

Post#140 » by bape_lovers » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:02 pm

tbh..i think its sauga only..no one talking about Tennis here in markham

Credit to JaysRule, Detective

Return to Toronto Raptors