ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,068

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1121 » by MissKhriddleton » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:59 pm

chonestown wrote:Semi-piggybacking off Kerb's update. Has anybody had any experience using edibles to treat anxiety? My father was given a diagnosis of anxiety in late July. He's been unfailingly a sweet-natured, level-headed guy but he's been plagued by erratic sleep, weak appetite and mini-bouts of negativity recently. He's self-conscious of all this and it seems to be a minor case atm, but it's clear that his brain isn't working the way it had been up to this point. He's on some meds now and I wouldn't want to introduce a new drug into the mix, but THC looks like a potential option to combat his symptoms. Feel free to add to this post or send me a PM if inclined.

I don't have any experience with THC as a form of treatment but would like to share that my dad has also developed some sort of anxiety disorder. He's started to have panic attacks while driving on the highway to the point where he is only able to drive on back roads even if it adds an hour to his trip. And seemingly for no reason (no accident, been driving fine his whole life).

He saw some screwy therapist who did EDMR therapy which only seemed to make things worse. Now he's seeing someone else, I think he's on Lexapro, and says he's doing better but still not comfortable on the highway.

It's scary in the sense that normally you would tell someone to face their fear but in this case he's potentially losing control of a two ton missile. And scary because he's my dad he's supposed to be invincible. :(
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,331

Post#1122 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:46 pm

stellation wrote:I noticed a few people have the TinyPic error/goodbye message turning up as their avatar. I had that issue, the files are gone from TinyPic but if you want to grab the exact file you can do it by;
1. going to your profile on realgm, then "edit avatar" and under there the URL it had been hosted at should be in "Link off-site" (if you try to go directly to that link you'll just get the same error message)
2. go to the Wayback Machine at https://archive.org/web/ and paste that URL for your image in there under "browse history" to see if it has any hits for the file (it hopefully will, I could fine mine so the archive was trawling either realgm or tinypic)
3. save that archive version and upload somewhere else (I popped mine on https://imgur.com/ ) then just update the URL for your avatar

Great info, thanks for posting this
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1123 » by Bucksfan28 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:52 pm

chonestown wrote:Semi-piggybacking off Kerb's update. Has anybody had any experience using edibles to treat anxiety? My father was given a diagnosis of anxiety in late July. He's been unfailingly a sweet-natured, level-headed guy but he's been plagued by erratic sleep, weak appetite and mini-bouts of negativity recently. He's self-conscious of all this and it seems to be a minor case atm, but it's clear that his brain isn't working the way it had been up to this point. He's on some meds now and I wouldn't want to introduce a new drug into the mix, but THC looks like a potential option to combat his symptoms. Feel free to add to this post or send me a PM if inclined.

For as straight-forward of a concept as THC use seems, there's so many variables that can contribute to the overall experience. W/r/t edibles, everyone I know has a mellow experience. It's pretty consistently reliable in that regard. I've heard stories of first-timers experiencing serious anxiety/panic issues, but typically they consumed an absurd amount that even I wouldn't try. As long as the dosage is controlled I -think- they can help the symptoms you describe.

Whatever the choice, good luck.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#1124 » by Ill-yasova » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:58 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:

For as straight-forward of a concept as THC use seems, there's so many variables that can contribute to the overall experience. W/r/t edibles, everyone I know has a mellow experience. It's pretty consistently reliable in that regard. I've heard stories of first-timers experiencing serious anxiety/panic issues, but typically they consumed an absurd amount that even I wouldn't try. As long as the dosage is controlled I -think- they can help the symptoms you describe.

Whatever the choice, good luck.

I had never used THC in any way until a vacation in Denver a few months ago. My first experience was super panicky and I did not enjoy it, but by the end of the vacation it all worked out well. Now I do edibles maybe twice a month and only on weekends because my tolerance is shite. Still fun though, especially in the ...cough...marital situations.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,662

Post#1125 » by chonestown » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:42 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:

I don't have any experience with THC as a form of treatment but would like to share that my dad has also developed some sort of anxiety disorder. He's started to have panic attacks while driving on the highway to the point where he is only able to drive on back roads even if it adds an hour to his trip. And seemingly for no reason (no accident, been driving fine his whole life).

He saw some screwy therapist who did EDMR therapy which only seemed to make things worse. Now he's seeing someone else, I think he's on Lexapro, and says he's doing better but still not comfortable on the highway.

It's scary in the sense that normally you would tell someone to face their fear but in this case he's potentially losing control of a two ton missile. And scary because he's my dad he's supposed to be invincible. :(

My pop drove down to Florida this past April and save for a 100 mile stretch, took care of it all. He hasn't done any driving save for the most routine, non-highway in-town errand runs since mid-July. It's really something, isn't it? He had a one-time seizure around 25 years ago that slowed him down, but he bounced back 100% after four months. This current malady isn't as dramatic, but it's really weird since it's not connected to an event. Hope your dad continues the upward trajectory.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,716

Post#1126 » by AussieBuck » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:52 am

Tried mushrooms earlier in the year and my anxiety washed away for what seemed like a few weeks. Had some more Friday night and I've been serene as **** ever since. Even had a team of footy thugs cheap shoting and trash talking me all game at basketball just now and I just calmly destroyed them with a smile. (by contrast last time we played them I lost my **** and got ejected for the first time in over a decade)

Wish I could get my hands on more but both times it was just random that someone offered. **** is magic.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,003

Post#1127 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:15 pm

I didn't think it would be possible to be miserable with temps in the high 50s to mid 60s, but you add 96% humidity and I want to die.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1128 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:46 pm

AussieBuck wrote:

Tried mushrooms earlier in the year and my anxiety washed away for what seemed like a few weeks. Had some more Friday night and I've been serene as **** ever since. Even had a team of footy thugs cheap shoting and trash talking me all game at basketball just now and I just calmly destroyed them with a smile. (by contrast last time we played them I lost my **** and got ejected for the first time in over a decade)

Wish I could get my hands on more but both times it was just random that someone offered. **** is magic.

I also know some who said it has cured their panic attacks for a period of time.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,331

Post#1129 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#1130 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:25 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is this post about cookies cutters or a response to the anxiety discussion? Because it works on both levels for me. :wink:
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#1131 » by trwi7 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:35 pm

I will not apologize for this.

stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#1132 » by humanrefutation » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:06 pm

trwi7 wrote:I will not apologize for this.

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#1133 » by El Duderino » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:42 am

You could also try CBD extracts first, it helps with anxiety for some without having to deal with getting high for those who don't really want that.

Plus, you gotta be very careful with THC edibles, especially for someone who hasn't built up a tolerance to THC. You need to make sure that the milligram dosage is accurate and low for an inexperienced user because edibles can not only pack a real punch, unlike when smoking pot where a buzz will often ramp down in say 15-30 minutes, a very strong edibles buzz can last hours.

I'm experienced with both and even i have ended up in an uncomfortable place with edibles. About a year ago i ate a full brownie a friend made which hit me really hard and not in a fun way. Took about two hours before i could function like a normal person.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,003

Post#1134 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:49 am

Just my own experience but two different kinds of CBD oils did zero for me.
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#1135 » by vegaspacker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:02 am

Sprinklers and streakers.

Public vs. Employee restroom action.

Messy mf'ers really grind my gears. Two or more flushes please.

A refuse laiden toilet is such a deal breaker. I am always fascinated by the acceptance of acceptable post duty spots.

Being in healthcare for 22 years now, a mutually exclusive respect is a given. Public folks are awful. Not all mind you, but it seems people go out of there way to propagate nasty.

It might be comprehensive, 'hit it and quit it... Asap"... Cause... It's nasty.... damn!

Which is it??

1. A lack of awareness.

2. Expedience.

3. Forfeiture of courtesy.
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1136 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:23 pm

Spoiler:
Glad to see Drew Dreschel win Ninja Warrior last night.

Felt like if Aaron Rodgers hadn't won that early Super Bowl starting to get up there in age and failing in the NFCCG every year in his late 30s.

Anyone think that other than a few of the city courses that it was almost too easy this year? Especially with the safety passes? Almost like they wanted someone to win (it is public knowledge before the final show that there was a winner so this isn't a spoiler). Makes some sense because a handful of the last few years other than the double finisher year 4 years ago, only a handful of people made it to stage 3 and weren't even close to finishing.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#1137 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:38 pm

Apparently I have access to Twitter on my work computer now. Thank you.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#1138 » by humanrefutation » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Anyone have any opinions on the best rewards credit cards? Travel rewards, straight cash rewards, etc?
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,022

Post#1139 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:31 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Anyone have any opinions on the best rewards credit cards? Travel rewards, straight cash rewards, etc?

What is most important to you? International travel, domestic travel, smartest financial decision, 0% APR? Are you planning on only having one card, or willing to churn?

Cash back is probably the smartest since you actually get money instead of having to spend money to use the rewards, but I like the travel cards. I travel a lot for personal and work trips, so airport lounges are a huge plus.

Chase SW- Probably best deal if you stack a business card for companion pass. But you have to do it right, or else the rewards are not that great.

Chase Sapphire Reserve- Huge sign-on bonus, Priority Pass (airport lounge) $300 travel credit, other perks - $450 annually. AmEx Platinum is very similar with pros and cons.

AmEx Hilton Aspire - Decent sign-on bonus, 1 free weekend at any hilton, $250 credit, Diamond status - $450 annually

Amazon is a no brainer (if you already have prime) for 5% Amazon/Whole Foods purchases.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,942

Post#1140 » by BUCKnation » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:38 pm

I spend quite a bit on travel and amazon, so I use a combo between the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the Amazon card right now and its great.

If I spent more on groceries/gas I'd get the Blue Cash Preferred from American Express for 6% on groceries and streaming services and 3% at gas stations.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks