Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1501 » by Sixerscan » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:41 pm

Barkley wasn’t Jordan but that’s something he has in common with everyone else.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1502 » by LloydFree » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:45 pm

kuclas wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
kuclas wrote:
1986 sixers trade (s) sept the sixers back for 10 years. I have no reason why they traded the number 1 pick. What is the point of picking up Roy Hinson who played same exact position as Barkley.

If they didn’t think moses and Barkley couldn’t play together. Adding Hinson didn’t help either.

Just dumb trades.

Trading the #1 pick is a separate issue and you'll get no argument from me except that again, Roy Hinson shot from the elbows and top of the key, which was about as "stretch" as big men were back then. He wasn't glued to the Post like DrJ and Moses were.

Either way, I would have effd that too. Because I was a Len Bias fanatic. I would have picked him #1, and Barkley might have been packing his bags. LOL

1986. Sixers management probably thought their window was closed to win. Especially with Boston showing no signs of decline. (Ironically Kevin mchale injured foot the following season and bird back acted up shorted after)/rise of the pistons

They knew dr j was at the end. I mean I get the trade for jeff ruland trying to get younger. But Moses wasn’t that much older than ruland and been much healthier (31 years old vs 27 years old)

It’s like the equivalent of trading a 27 year old Joel
Embiid who would have had 2 injury plague seasons playing a combined 70 games during ages 25 and 26 for a declining age 31 shaq. U take 31 year old decling Shaq over a broken down 27 year old Joel embiid.

The window was closed. They had 5 future Hall of Famers on the roster, but three of them were well over 30 and only one could hit a shot outside of the paint. The game was changing and they were trying to get ahead of it. They just misjudged the amount of backlash they were setting themselves up for, by trading a legend for an injury prone borderline star.

Today I don't think the team would get nearly the amount of criticism, because the fans are more educated about transactions and team building. I was a teenager and I know I didn't understand it at the time.

But back to topic:

Barkley, then Moses, then Embiid who is just slightly ahead of Greer, Cunningham and Cheeks.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#1503 » by Kobblehead » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Embiid has already reached an MVP caliber form. Which puts him in the rare air of just Iverson and Barkley. Now he just needs to sustain his current level of play and rack up playoff series wins. If he wins a title, he'll be vaulted to #1, outright.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1504 » by LloydFree » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:52 am

Dr. J played 10 years for the 76ers, won MVP, won a Championship, and was THE face of the league for 3-4 seasons. Embiid got a bunch of work to do to pass Julius Erving in status.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#1505 » by 76ciology » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:18 am

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1506 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 am

I find it weird that he doesnt post any workout videos this offseason.

Maybe he’s trying to focus more on his conditioning?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,013

Post#1507 » by eyeatoma » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:59 am

76ciology wrote:I find it weird that he doesnt post any workout videos this offseason.

People find it weird when people post stuff. Now we're finding it weird that we don't. Sure Jo posted a lot more earlier in his career, but I think now with his GF, and that he has matured more, he's decided to stop doing that. I've thought the same thing, but then realized nobody can ever please anyone with these posts.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1508 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:06 am

eyeatoma wrote:
76ciology wrote:I find it weird that he doesnt post any workout videos this offseason.

People find it weird when people post stuff. Now we're finding it weird that we don't. Sure Jo posted a lot more earlier in his career, but I think now with his GF, and that he has matured more, he's decided to stop doing that. I've thought the same thing, but then realized nobody can ever please anyone with these posts.

Yeah maybe he’s just more mature now.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#1509 » by kio80 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:10 am

No food, no energy to post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 548

Post#1510 » by MVP1992 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:12 am

kio80 wrote:No food, no energy to post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a gf like he's got, I'd have no energy to post either and my conditioning training would be months ahead of schedule...
9-0

‘We’ll teach Donald Trump a valuable lesson: don’t mess with the women in America unless you want to get the benefit’. Joe Biden
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1511 » by VDT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:33 pm

76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Hopefully that and its not that he still has issues with his knee.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1512 » by eyeatoma » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:14 pm

VDT wrote:
76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Hopefully that and its not that he still has issues with his knee.

It was tendinitis. I can't see it being an issue still with no info coming out about it. Even for the sixers that would be malpractice at the highest level. Especially given that we just replaced our medical staff.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 3,997

Post#1513 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:36 am

Well, he needs to improve his offensive arsenal if we want to win the championship. Good luck with Tobias Harris as your go to scorer in crunch time, and while I can see Ben improving his half court offense, one year is too soon to see massive improvements in his shot.
So Embiid just needs to play better in crunch tome and against the tough centers, he just has to.
Horrible takes since 2016
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#1514 » by kuclas » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:14 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Well, he needs to improve his offensive arsenal if we want to win the championship. Good luck with Tobias Harris as your go to scorer in crunch time, and while I can see Ben improving his half court offense, one year is too soon to see massive improvements in his shot.
So Embiid just needs to play better in crunch tome and against the tough centers, he just has to.

It’s hard for embiid to battle quasi fake double teams sagging off him cause the guy guarding Simmons who we all know won’t shoot, that defender is cheating in.

Some of it is on embiid. He’s got to make quicker decisions. But some of that indecisiveness is due to Simmons man cheating in. He’s thinking too much. Embiid needs to make a move and make it quick.

I think he just needs to ignore the cheat defender. Pound it quick. But this Is where Simmons needs to react. Once embiid makes his move. The defense will close in quick. Simmons needs to crash the rim from the opposite site/weak side. I see it a few times. Simmons gets easy buckets. But not enough
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1515 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:33 am

kuclas wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:Well, he needs to improve his offensive arsenal if we want to win the championship. Good luck with Tobias Harris as your go to scorer in crunch time, and while I can see Ben improving his half court offense, one year is too soon to see massive improvements in his shot.

It’s hard for embiid to battle quasi fake double teams sagging off him cause the guy guarding Simmons who we all know won’t shoot, that defender is cheating in.

Some of it is on embiid. He’s got to make quicker decisions. But some of that indecisiveness is due to Simmons man cheating in. He’s thinking too much. Embiid needs to make a move and make it quick.

I think he just needs to ignore the cheat defender. Pound it quick. But this Is where Simmons needs to react. Once embiid makes his move. The defense will close in quick. Simmons needs to crash the rim from the opposite site/weak side. I see it a few times. Simmons gets easy buckets. But not enough

That’s why he’s much better being a face-up player. He also need to have a reliable hook shot.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1516 » by 76ciology » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:07 pm

So all the while I thought Jokic was a good perimeter shooter. But looking at the numbers, he and Embiid has the same 3pt% while comparing average shot distance Embiid shots are 11ft away from the rim on average compared to Jokic’s 10.4ft.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1517 » by eyeatoma » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:29 am

https://clutchpoints.com/sixers-news-joel-embiid-reveals-he-has-lost-25-pounds-this-summer/

This is great, I just wish he told us what his weight was lol.

If I recall he said he was at 275lbs at the start of last season. But I think he might have gained about 10 lbs when he was out with tendonitis before the playoffs.

Take that into account and his weight could be any where between 250lbs to 260 lbs. I'm confident he's below 275, which should be gravy. I'd be very surprised if he was 300 lbs during the playoffs.
JJJgoat
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#1518 » by JJJgoat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:21 am

I was waiting for this. 25 pounds shed before training camp confirmed. Horford at 34 years old should relieve Embiid just enough. He's the face of the franchise, the face of trash talking. With absolutely zero mention of load management, I think at 25 years old with a very healthy ego he may just be prepping himself for an MVP run. For the first 1-2 months of last season, he in was firmly in the MVP race/discussion. Cannot wait.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1519 » by VDT » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:30 pm

He certainly looked more than 300 when he came back after the all star game.

250 was his weight in college, i would be surprised if he will ever be anywhere near that again.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#1520 » by Simmons25 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:05 am

JJJgoat wrote:I was waiting for this. 25 pounds shed before training camp confirmed. Horford at 34 years old should relieve Embiid just enough. He's the face of the franchise, the face of trash talking. With absolutely zero mention of load management, I think at 25 years old with a very healthy ego he may just be prepping himself for an MVP run. For the first 1-2 months of last season, he in was firmly in the MVP race/discussion. Cannot wait.

MVP's are for guys who want to stand out on teams. I hated all the MVP talk last year... his focus should be on winning championships and not on winning MVP's. The scoring load should be coming off him not increasing.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers