ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Re: Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year? 

Post#141 » by daswunderboy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:
EH15 wrote:Raptors have had a quarter century of build up, with fans spanning 2 generations now. A fair comparison is Bianca playing for gold in Tokyo at the 2020 Olympics or in Paris at the 2024 games. That match and win, should we be lucky enough, is analogous to the Raptors win. And which point it's not even a contest. It's only a contest right now because she literally was a nobody 2 weeks ago in the eyes of most Canadians.

This is how I see it.

Olympic tennis doesn't mean anything. The only tennis event that is "bigger" than the US Open is Wimbledon, and "bigger" only in tradition and name value.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#142 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:14 pm

daswunderboy wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:
EH15 wrote:Raptors have had a quarter century of build up, with fans spanning 2 generations now. A fair comparison is Bianca playing for gold in Tokyo at the 2020 Olympics or in Paris at the 2024 games. That match and win, should we be lucky enough, is analogous to the Raptors win. And which point it's not even a contest. It's only a contest right now because she literally was a nobody 2 weeks ago in the eyes of most Canadians.

This is how I see it.

Olympic tennis doesn't mean anything. The only tennis event that is "bigger" than the US Open is Wimbledon, and "bigger" only in tradition and name value.

I didnt mean his comparison is the way I see it in terms of olympics but Bianca stringing together back to back major wins, or something of that nature is maybe comparable to the Raptors winning imo.
Yeezy SZN approaching
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,944

Post#143 » by EH15 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:52 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:
daswunderboy wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:This is how I see it.

I didnt mean his comparison is the way I see it in terms of olympics but Bianca stringing together back to back major wins, or something of that nature is maybe comparable to the Raptors winning imo.

Olympics absolutely does mean something. Don't mind him. It's under Grand Slams but you can argue it's above year end finals.

And for a nation with a Gold medal historical high of a meager 10 medals (achieved once back in 1984), winning a tennis Gold in singles would not meaning nothing.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,138

Post#144 » by gp2015 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:25 am

EH15 wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:
daswunderboy wrote:

Olympics absolutely does mean something. Don't mind him. It's under Grand Slams but you can argue it's above year end finals.

And for a nation with a Gold medal historical high of a meager 10 medals (achieved once back in 1984), winning a tennis Gold in singles would not meaning nothing.

While I wouldn't say it means nothing, in terms of overall media attention, it gets lost in some of the other major events of the Olympics. I wouldn't consider it a marquee event in the Olympics. It doesn't really get much coverage. In terms of the tennis community, it is somewhat significant but outside, not so much.

If a Canadian did win the gold in tennis, it would get a lot of attention but so would any other gold medal winner from Canada just because it doesn't happen often.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
daswunderboy
Analyst

Post#145 » by daswunderboy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:09 pm

EH15 wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:
daswunderboy wrote:

"don't mind him"....lol, get over yourself. It's a fact that Olympic Tennis doesn't have nearly the cachet of a major. I'm not making that up. And winning a single medal in the olympics is great for any Canadian. It doesn't put you over a team in one of the big 3 sports that has a Canadian team (NHL, NBA, MLB) winning a title. Winning a couple of majors would put you in the conversation though.
EH15
General Manager

Post#146 » by EH15 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:10 pm

daswunderboy wrote:
EH15 wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:I didnt mean his comparison is the way I see it in terms of olympics but Bianca stringing together back to back major wins, or something of that nature is maybe comparable to the Raptors winning imo.

"don't mind him"....lol, get over yourself. It's a fact that Olympic Tennis doesn't have nearly the cachet of a major. I'm not making that up. And winning a single medal in the olympics is great for any Canadian. It doesn't put you over a team in one of the big 3 sports that has a Canadian team (NHL, NBA, MLB) winning a title. Winning a couple of majors would put you in the conversation though.

I'm talking about attracting an audience like the Raptors did for the playoffs. You can't interpret that?
daswunderboy
Analyst

Post#147 » by daswunderboy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:15 pm

EH15 wrote:
daswunderboy wrote:
EH15 wrote:Olympics absolutely does mean something. Don't mind him. It's under Grand Slams but you can argue it's above year end finals.

I'm talking about attracting an audience like the Raptors did for the playoffs. You can't interpret that?

Actually, you said:

Raptors have had a quarter century of build up, with fans spanning 2 generations now. A fair comparison is Bianca playing for gold in Tokyo at the 2020 Olympics or in Paris at the 2024 games. That match and win, should we be lucky enough, is analogous to the Raptors win

Nowhere does that state anything about an audience. Maybe if you want people to interpret you 'better', you'll be clear on what you are saying. Your statement, read in plain English, was about. This entire thread is about "Canadian sports story of the year". You weren't replying to anyone, so your comment, read plainly, is about the topic, and that's what I was replying to.

(hopefully you let this go instead of desperately trying to "win" an argument that you are having with yourself...but if not, good luck!)
EH15
General Manager

Post#148 » by EH15 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:17 pm

daswunderboy wrote:
EH15 wrote:
daswunderboy wrote:

Actually, you said:

Raptors have had a quarter century of build up, with fans spanning 2 generations now. A fair comparison is Bianca playing for gold in Tokyo at the 2020 Olympics or in Paris at the 2024 games. That match and win, should we be lucky enough, is analogous to the Raptors win

Nowhere does that state anything about an audience. Maybe if you want people to interpret you 'better', you'll be clear on what you are saying. Your statement, read in plain English, was about. This entire thread is about "Canadian sports story of the year". You weren't replying to anyone, so your comment, read plainly, is about the topic, and that's what I was replying to.

(hopefully you let this go instead of desperately trying to "win" an argument that you are having with yourself...but if not, good luck!)

Playing for a Gold in tennis would be event TV like I said.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,591

Post#149 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:31 pm

End of the year awards given out by media mean nothing anyway, who cares? Whether Bianca or the Raptors is named to some award on paper does nothing to enhance or diminish the achievement of either her or the team.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
daswunderboy
Analyst

Post#150 » by daswunderboy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:58 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:End of the year awards given out by media mean nothing anyway, who cares? Whether Bianca or the Raptors is named to some award on paper does nothing to enhance or diminish the achievement of either her or the team.

...lol, I see you've been on this board since 2006, so you should know better! This group of fans is the most overly sensitive to perceived media sleights group of people you'll ever meet!

(but I'm with you...who cares in the end about any of this? Our team won the title, it actually happened! Many of us stood in the heat and waited as the parade passed us way back in June. Nothing is ever taking that away, no matter how much some fans are looking to have it stolen.)
dgr81
General Manager
And1: 10,889

Post#151 » by dgr81 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:10 pm

we all know it will have something to do with hockey...

Return to Toronto Raptors