ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,670

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#981 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:07 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:why we even talking about frank here?

Because the topic shifted to who starts at point guard

And that will be frank

i see the shift. and it's looking a lot like a derail. i hope we get back to DSJ and not the general starting PG debate. that would be best for another thread.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#982 » by MadGrinch » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:42 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:why we even talking about frank here?

Because the topic shifted to who starts at point guard

And that will be frank

i see the shift. and it's looking a lot like a derail. i hope we get back to DSJ and not the general starting PG debate. that would be best for another thread.

Maybe but I didn’t cause the shift just merely explained it.
Its because I'm green isn't it?
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,602

Post#983 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:52 am

Dope interview. Talks about doing whatever it takes to help RJ win ROY, coming into this season with a chip on a shoulder and wanting to be a leader, defense and being in elite condition being the main keys for this team, high praise for Fiz and some other cool stuff.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#984 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:07 am

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,316

Post#985 » by HerSports85 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:21 pm

“Our team, it’s really a group of guys that wanna hoop, compete at a high level and win games,” he said. “I think if we build this identity early of a real selfless team that’s gonna scrap on both ends of the court, I think we can be pretty good this year, and then build on that for years to come.”

“It’s just been relentless work. I feel like I’ve got something to prove,” he said. “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder still, but I’ve just been working. I try to attack each day and look at it as if I didn’t leave anything on the table. I got the most out of my day. ... I’m gonna come in, bring that into training camp and be a leader, lead by example, earn my respect from these guys and then carry that into the season.”
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,670

Post#986 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
MadGrinch wrote: Because the topic shifted to who starts at point guard

And that will be frank

Maybe but I didn’t cause the shift just merely explained it.

didn't accuse you of anything. just responded to you.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#987 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:18 pm

HerSports85 wrote:Image

“Our team, it’s really a group of guys that wanna hoop, compete at a high level and win games,” he said. “I think if we build this identity early of a real selfless team that’s gonna scrap on both ends of the court, I think we can be pretty good this year, and then build on that for years to come.”

“It’s just been relentless work. I feel like I’ve got something to prove,” he said. “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder still, but I’ve just been working. I try to attack each day and look at it as if I didn’t leave anything on the table. I got the most out of my day. ... I’m gonna come in, bring that into training camp and be a leader, lead by example, earn my respect from these guys and then carry that into the season.”

Hearing those comments from DSJ and Knox about the team, there’s definitely a different vibe about this squad than previous years. Love it. Pretty excited for this season. Don’t care about what the media or Knicks haters wanna say.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,348

Post#988 » by F N 11 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:57 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

Hearing those comments from DSJ and Knox about the team, there’s definitely a different vibe about this squad than previous years. Love it. Pretty excited for this season. Don’t care about what the media or Knicks haters wanna say.

This team wll be like 99. Mark my words.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,217

Post#989 » by Hes_On_Fire » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:17 pm

Man, I'm a veteran a Knicks fan so all this sunshine and rainbows quotes from players/coaches/whatever don't do anything to me. Nice to hear, sure, but it doesn't get me excited at all. Just go out and prove it on the court. Let your game do the talking. I want to see some real progress from some guys this year, especially someone like DSJ who is entering his 3rd NBA season.

Knox has to make a big leap too. I don't have unrealistic expectations. Just be a productive player on the court with some decent defense and efficiency. That's all I ask.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 125,997

Post#990 » by god shammgod » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 pm

F N 11 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

99 ? we're going to the finals ? :lol: the 99 team was filled with guys who were all-stars. houston, lj, spree, ewing. it's ok to be excited but this is ridiculous.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,233

Post#991 » by Zenzibar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:01 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
TruthBeTold wrote:The truth about Smith Jr. can't be revealed with practice highlights. :noway:

The truth about DSJ's improvement will start to show during preseason basketball.

My Prediction:
You will get the same DSJ from last season with improving shooting, that's all. I'm not buying any all star hype just yet.

However, I believe if Smith Jr. becomes a 80+% free throw shooter and an improve 3 pts shooter, all star selection might be a real possibility.

So Knicks fans, stay away from the DSJ practice dunk hype, unless it's being done during a NBA game. :nod: 8-)

True.

Also DSJ will have to outplay Frank in camp and scoring on Frankie Noodles will be a difficult task. To me Frank is going for that starting point guard spot and nothing less.
So DSJ will have to be extra ready.

:eek1:

What I said was that Frank is building the confidence ready to come to camp to get that. DSJ is the starting point in most predictions here, hopefully the winner is the most impactful.

Can we at the minimum agree that Mitch and Ntilikina are one of the top guard/center defensive tandems in the league?
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,233

Post#992 » by Zenzibar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:07 pm

taj2133 wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
TruthBeTold wrote:The truth about Smith Jr. can't be revealed with practice highlights. :noway:

The truth about DSJ's improvement will start to show during preseason basketball.

My Prediction:
You will get the same DSJ from last season with improving shooting, that's all. I'm not buying any all star hype just yet.

However, I believe if Smith Jr. becomes a 80+% free throw shooter and an improve 3 pts shooter, all star selection might be a real possibility.

So Knicks fans, stay away from the DSJ practice dunk hype, unless it's being done during a NBA game. :nod: 8-)

True.

Also DSJ will have to outplay Frank in camp and scoring on Frankie Noodles will be a difficult task. To me Frank is going for that starting point guard spot and nothing less.

I doubt frank will be the starter he will have to complete 180 in camp and everything will have to be perfect for frank and management. I see dsj as the starting point guard if frank wins the job props to him i would be impressed if he did.

Then why not start both?
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#993 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#994 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:27 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
True.

:eek1:

What I said was that Frank is building the confidence ready to come to camp to get that. DSJ is the starting point in most predictions here, hopefully the winner is the most impactful.

Can we at the minimum agree that Mitch and Ntilikina are one of the top guard/center defensive tandems in the league?

They dont have the minutes sample to state this. Their minutes sample does support the potential to fit that realm.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#995 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:31 pm

Playing hard is an identity? Where have I heard that before?

R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 125,997

Post#996 » by god shammgod » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:14 am

stop trying to throw frank in with mitch. the stats show how great mitch is with or without frank. it's why we don't have to argue over mitch. it's obvious.
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#997 » by ITGM » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:27 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,601

Post#998 » by stuporman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:54 am

The starting spot is DSJ's to lose.......
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,167

Post#999 » by aq_ua » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:16 am

god shammgod wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Hearing those comments from DSJ and Knox about the team, there’s definitely a different vibe about this squad than previous years. Love it. Pretty excited for this season. Don’t care about what the media or Knicks haters wanna say.

99 ? we're going to the finals ? :lol: the 99 team was filled with guys who were all-stars. houston, lj, spree, ewing. it's ok to be excited but this is ridiculous.

Just means the season is going to end in 50 games.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#1000 » by blueNorange » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:16 am

dsj has promoted himself well this offseason, however at the end of the day he has to back it up because year 3 is the year people either consider you just a player on the team or part of the core.

same goes for frank.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.

Return to New York Knicks